Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

S’mores Whoopie Pies

What’s black and white…

smores whoopie pie

And smothered in gooey marshmallow fluff?

S’mores Whoopie Pies!

A few weeks ago, my first attempt at s’mores whoopie pies went terribly awry. So terribly awry that I won’t even post a photo. Let’s just say they looked more like whoopie pancakes than pies. I wanted to give the experiment another go for Sunday’s Oscars party.

If it didn’t work, I had a backup: Secret Peanut Butter Cookies.

But I really wanted it to work!

The whoopie pies were perfect to represent the black-and-white theme of The Artist. Luckily, my second try was a big, fat (literally) success. And, as it turns out, I picked a great dessert for the night; The Artist won Best Picture!

healthy whoopie pies

The whoopie pies definitely won Best Dressed.

And best taste.

marshmallow whoopie pies

But they are chocolate, after all. So really, it was no competition.

S’mores Whoopie Pies

(makes 12 circles)

Categorized here: Cookies and Bars.

• 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • scant 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • just over 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice (or white sugar)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (coconut or canola/veg)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix vinegar into milk, and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix very well. Then put all the other liquid ingredients into the vinegar mixture and stir. Pour wet into dry, and stir to combine. Drop tiny circles (a little over the size of a silver dollar) onto 1 or 2 cookie trays. (Or, if you have a whoopie pie maker, you can use that! I don’t have one.) Bake around 8 minutes.

Marshmallow Cream:

If you don’t want to use this recipe, or if you can’t find marshmallow flavoring, you can use Ricemellow Cream or Smuckers marshmallow fluff instead. Both are vegan.)

• 2/3 cup Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu (140 g) (I’m sure soft-silken would work too!)
  • 6 tablespoons coconut butter or raw cashew butter
  • scant 1/8th tsp salt
  • 8-10 drops marshmallow flavoring (like this one)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (stevia, agave, sugar, etc.)

Blend everything in a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet cup. This frosting is thicker when cold, so it’s a good idea to make it up ahead of time. But don’t frost the whoopie pies until just before serving (or frost them and then store in the fridge).

**For a soy-free frosting, add the vanilla and marshmallow extracts to the following recipe (and sub the pb for coconut butter or raw cashew butter): Soy-Free Option.

And, of course, the chocolate…

smores pies

I used my favorite chocolate recipe: Hot Chocolate Butter.

If you prefer, feel free to use your favorite hot fudge sauce, chocolate frosting, or melted chocolate chips. Just be sure to add chocolate in some form. This recipe (well, any recipe!) is nothing without chocolate Winking smile.

marshmallow whoopie pies

Question of the Day:

What whoopie pie flavors would you like to see?

Now that I have a successful base recipe, I’m excited to experiment with new flavors: What about red velvet, or chocolate chip cookie dough, or cinnamon roll pies…

Or maybe whoopie pies from my Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars.

Tags: , ,

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler-we pick Rick says:

OH MY WORD!!!!!! These look perfect for a Ladies Night i’m going to tomorrow with my friends. Will try NOW!

2. Sue Breem says:

These photos are phenomenal! You impress me every single day, and your blog is easily my favorite website, CCK.

I wanted to letcha know that I’m sending your WFAA story to Ellen DeGeneres. And I’m telling my friends to do the same. You should be on her show!

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler-we pick Rick says:

+1- even if i can’t stand Ellen, I’d love to see you on her show, only reason I’d watch her!

1. Wow, thank you!
        I doubt it will happen… but it sure would be amazing! And just the fact that you’d take the time to do something like that for me means so incredibly much. :)

2. Samantha says:

That would be really great if she got on the show!

3. Pumpkin whoopie pies. Definitely. Or coconut!

1. Amy says:

Oh Coconut . . .

4. Yum, those look delicious! Your fellow party-goers were very lucky (as usual)! And I love the black and white theme for the Artist – so fun. Pumpkin cream cheese whoopie pies sound ahhh-mazing!

5. oh gosh, those look so delicious! I’ve never had a real Whoopie Pie!

6. DawnW says:

Hi! Everybody go to The Kitchn,open an account if you don’t already have one,and vote for Chocolate-Covered Katie for Best Recipe Blog!

1. Thanks Dawn! You are awesome! I think there’s no way I’m beating Pioneer Woman, though! Oh well… lol 😉

2. Rachele says:

I tried to vote but it looks like you can only vote for the top six. If I click on cck, it’s just a hyperlink to her website.

1. Aw, you are too sweet, Rachele!
        Maybe the general voting is closed by now… a few days ago, you could vote for anyone. I voted for someone who didn’t make the top six either (not myself… lol I couldn’t bring myself to do it!)

7. Too cute! I’d like to gobble these up, pronto! I love marshmallow and chocolate!

8. I just bought a whoopie pie pan last night that I can’t wait to use! I will def, have to try this recipe with it!

9. A cinnamon roll flavor sounds divine…on a related note, I just tried the new cinnamon roll flavor of the miniwheats “Little Bites” cereal and it’s great too! I’m a big cinnamon fan, though, as you’ll see in the recipes on my blog!

10. Zestful Lou says:

Wow! So adorable. Birthday #25 is coming up shortly. Perhaps I should consider throwing a black and white party?!

These whoopie pies would be making a cameo appearance, of course. 😉

11. Samantha says:

So I admit I have never, ever had a whoopie pie. I look forward to making my own as my first time trying them. They look wonderful!

12. Oh my goodness, Katie, you’ve done it again! I think s’mores are one of the bestest treats, ever. I love to go camping and hiking, and no trip is complete without s’mores. Now I don’t have to wait until summertime to enjoy my favorite treat!

And thanks for the tip about the marshmallow flavoring – I’m going to look for some!

13. Oh wow! I didn’t know that smuckers marshmallow creme was vegan! I’d much rather make my own but I don’t know that marshmallow flavoring is in my budget right now. Thank you so much for the awesome recipe!! =)

14. YUMMY!!!! :) Sounds pretty much perfect to me!

15. Annie says:

OMG you made my morning with this recipe!

I’d love to see a recipe for a strawberry cheesecake whoopie pie!

16. How about cannoli-flavored whoopie pie? Is that even possible?

1. Cheri says:

Cannoli would be my vote too. If anyone can do it, Katie can!!
      I’ve been obsessed with whoppie pies recently, and I haven’t found a recipe for that. I do make a killer pumpkin one though. :)

17. Heather says:

OH MY, how yummy? Is there a nutritional guide on this one?

1. No, because it depends on a lot of factors such as what fillings you use and how much of each filling you spread on each pie.

1. Renske says:

Couldn’t you please post a nutritional guide on the ones that YOU made? It would be great to have a referencepoint! Please? (:

18. Ohh, these look divine!! Do you get annoyed when your baking experiments go wrong? I have a long standing I-cannot-bake-you-for-the-life-of-me relationship with sugar cookies and I get so upset every time it goes wrong!

1. Sometimes… especially when it means I waste ingredients or a lot of time :(.
      But other times, it’s a great learning experience… or I am lucky and can even turn the recipe failure into something else! I did that with a failed cookie recipe once; it made great granola bars!

1. Morgan says:

I feel the SAME way about waffles. I love, love, love waffles and I can’t get them right for the life of me! It’s so weird! These look so yummy, Katie! I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for persevering!

19. god i love whoopie pies! i’d love to see a version with figs.

20. This is a really impressive recipe to come up with – you have to veganize the marshmallow cream, then the chocolate spread, then the whoopie pies – I don’t blame you for having one fail (though I would love to see that pic! I love fail pics sometimes, they’re like a blooper reel at the end of a movie!) but these finished products look fabulous!

21. Alaina says:

This is definitely being bookmarked!

I would love to see mint chocolate chip whoopie pies. :-)

22. Kate says:

Love these, and all of your pint-size treats. Speaking of personal size snacks, I thought you’d like this recipe for making babycakes. They’re mini cakes you bake in a can. I have food allergies, so mine is gluten-free, dairy-free, egg and nut free. However, they can adapted to anyone’s taste and tolerance. Enjoy!

23. Ashley says:

Those all sound good! What about something with peanut butter?

24. Hey Katie, just curious if you’ve seen any ricemallow fluff in stores anytime recently? I live in the Dallas area too and used to pick it up at Central Market, but can’t seem to find it ANYWHERE now. Just thought it was worth a shot to see if you’d seen it….

1. Plano Whole Foods! Baking section :)

25. OH wow, these look amazing!!! What a fabulous treat, love how whoppie pies are popping up everywhere. THese look incredible!

26. Erica says:

I would like to see chocolate with peanut butter OF COURSE! Ooooh maybe a lemon filled whoppie pie….or for kids a birthday cake whoopie pie 😛

27. I must try your recipe for marshmallow cream when my last tub of precious ricemallow cream runs out. My Whole Foods stopped selling it!

28. yum!! both the red velvet AND chocolate chip cookie dough ideas sounds wonderful. i’m also thinking something with chocolate + peanut butter… the best combo ever in my opinion. 😉

29. How do you come up with all these recipes?!!? So good!

30. All of the flavors you listed sound awesome… but I would love to see either a strawberries, blueberries or peaches and cream flavor. That would be my ultimate whoopie pie!

31. I love whoopie pies! There is a bakery right down the street from me that sells GINORMOUS ones! They have every flavor imaginable and they are absolutely delicious!

32. Love whoopie pies, these look delicious!

33. DawnW says:

I’m so sorry,I screwed up! I went back to see if I could vote (I wasn’t sure if the nomination counted as my vote) and I accidentally voted for the wrong blog. Quick,somebody go and cancel out my vote! Katie,you can vote for yourself :)

34. DawnW says:

What happened to my first comment? It seems to have disappeared…

35. DawnW says:

What’s going on? I left a comment with a link to the blog contest,but it’s gone. Where did it go?? :(

1. Ooh yikes, my spam filter accidentally took it, probably because it had a link. No worries! I fished it out and it’s back!

Thank you so incredibly much for such kindness, Dawn!

36. mercedes. says:

i’ve seen so many recipes for whoopie pies, but this is the first one i’ve actually wanted to try! thanks. :)

37. Your recipes amaze me! These look incredible!!

38. Moni'sMeals says:

too word for you today..cute. :)

39. Oh my gossshhh these look SO good

40. Lauren says:

Those look so good!

Also, did you know today is national pancake day? I didn’t even know there was such a day lol.

1. Apparently it was last Tuesday too… I guess pancakes are so good they need to have two days?

41. msdramateacheraldy says:

I’m sorry, woopie pies are yucky.

1. Haha thanks for sharing your opinion!

42. KellyO says:

YES. Thank you for making my day slash possibly my week. I can’t think of a dessert that is further from yucky, so Katie, you are awesome. And perhaps a Reese’s inspired chocolate and peanut butter type whoopie pie deal next? That would be mad delectable. Also red velvet. Because for some reason red=yummy. It’s weird. But yummy. I’ll stop now. Anyway thanks 😛

43. Anonymous says:

This is a perfect example of why you are the only blog that I visit daily (and have bookmarked!)- yesterday I was trying to find a easy vegan marshmallow cream recipe, and the today you posted one!:)

1. Wow, thank you so much!

LOL I hope you can find the flavoring. It’s really fun… I bought some other flavors too. I kinda went crazy when I heard they were vegan ;).

44. Elizabeth says:

Is it possible to do this without tofu/soy? Or is there an alternative?

1. Yes, the soy-free option is linked in the post.

45. Aja says:

Um, oh my YUM! You are a genius. And amazing for trying over and over again to get things right before posting it for us and making them amazing!

46. I had no idea there was such a thing as vegan marshmallow fluff. You just opened up a whole new world to me!

47. Mmm looks delicious!
    And yes, please do a red velvet! Or a “Green velvet”- for St. Patty’s day 😉

48. Karina says:

I love chocolate whoopie pies sprinkled with mini chocolate chips and filled with peanut butter filling.

49. I’m so so so glad the Artist won best picture… what a terrific film! I would have loved to be at your Oscar party to try one of these s’mores!

50. yummy!! I’m totally making these, and definitely won’t object to red velvet & cookie dough flavours! 😀

51. Jess says:

I would LOVE a strawberry flavored whoopie pie! Fresh strawberries mixed in with the marshmallow cream, and maybe bits of strawberry in the cookie. MMmmmm. Dip them halfway in chocolate, and they’ll be like chocolate dipped strawberries!

52. I can’t wait to try these! They look simple enough and delicious. Smores are the best.

53. I am new to whoopie pies, but the last one I had was delicious! I love this s’mores idea!

54. Kris says:

Wow, that looks awesome. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a s’mores whoopie pie before, even living in Massachusetts where they come in so many flavors.

55. michelle says:

Ok made them little flatter than yours however my cookie sheet was hot before putting them on ugh ..but they tasted yummy

56. Wow! They don’t look healthier at all! PB and jelly whoopie pies? Red velvet whoopie pie with cream cheese filling? 😀

57. Megan says:

wow! these look great! can the oil be omitted?

58. Oh my… oh my!!!

I’m drooling.

59. Emilia says:

These look incredible! I would never have thought it was possible to create a vegan whoopie pie, but once again you astound me. I would love to see a traditional whoppie pie, chocolate cake with vanilla/mashmallow creme filling :)

60. These are so fun! Love this idea, and haven’t seen it before. Yum!

61. Carla says:

They look wonderful but every time I’ve tried using tofu something has gone terribly awry. I think I’ll leave this one to you!

62. Tiff says:

Yum! It has been waaaaay too long since I’ve had smores.

63. Alyssa says:

64. S’mores are pretty much my favorite kind of thing. These look great!

65. I can only thing of one way to describe this post….WHOOOOOOOOOOOOPIE!! :)

66. Natalie says:

Omg they look amazing! I can’t wait to try them. What about pistachio flavoured ones with green pistachio cream?? And probably chocolate too! 😀 amazing Katie, I’m sure you’re half crazy half genius!!! X

67. Mika says:

I want to thank you for inspiring me to be more creative with my cooking! I am performing a much needed transformation of my over-processed American diet. I am a chocoholic and I recently nixed refined sugars, so I practically did back-flips when I found this blog! You can tell how much love and effort goes into your recipes, writing and photos, I just want you to know how grateful I am for your hard work. Next week I will be celebrating my birthday with your Raw Chocolate-Raspberry Fudge Cake!

68. caralyn says:

How about whoopie pies with a caramel swirl and honey?

69. I have always wanted to make Whoopie Pies, now I have a great recipe to follow. :)

70. kirsten says:

this is completely unrelated to this post but i have a recipe i was hoping you could try to do. i love the idea of making fruit roll ups or fruit leather but i do not own a dehydrator. was wondering if you’ve ever come across a recipe that doesn’t use a dehydrator?

1. Natalie says:

I thought you could do fruit leather in a really low oven… there’s tonnes of recipes online for that… eg =

71. Natasha says:

These look great! I can’t wait to try them! Can you explain what the role of the vinegar is in the baking process?

72. C&C Cakery says:

Love that recipe for vegan marshmallow cream – it’s not something you can find around here in the local grocery stores. I can’t wait to make it myself! Thanks a bunch!

73. Jeri Ray says:

Katie, you truly have the yummiest recipes…I voted for you as best recipe blog at ….good luck!

1. Thank you so much. That really means a lot to me. Just the fact that you took the time to vote for me… it put the biggest smile on my face!

74. Rana says:

hi Katie! I just bought a product called Pure Creamed Coconut by Grace and wondered if this is coconut butter or a good substitute. It comes in a 170g box and the ingredient is only coconut. There is a direction on the box that I can mix 85g of it with 142ml hot water and make coconut milk. What more info do you need to help answer my question?

1. I don’t think it’s coconut butter. Look at to see what coconut butter is. It has a texture kind of like peanut butter.

1. Rana says:

Wow, their description of coconut butter is very appealing! I’m going to find me some. Thanks again for all your hard work. I truly appreciate your effort so all I have to do is choose a recipe for my family and feel good about a dessert sweetened with dates versus white sugar.

75. Oh my goodness, these look amazing! I love the treats that you post on this blog! Although I can’t decide if I like following you on Pinterest or not… Your pins ALWAYS make me hungry (that’s a good thing!)!

1. LOL aww thanks for such a sweet comment :)

76. Jeff says:

I made these tonight using marshmallow fluff and nutella – they lasted all of about 30 sec and now the family’s got me making more! We have made so many of your desserts and treats – this is easily our favorite recipe blog!

1. Aw wow thank you so much! I am so happy they worked out well… and Nutella s’mores pretty much sound awesome!

77. Brittany says:

These look amazing!! Strawberry whoopie pie!

78. Yum!! These look so good!

79. Paula says:

You bad fooling me like that! :)

80. arshya says:

HI!! these look SSOOO delicious and I’m making these for a school project and selling them at school! I just wanted to know how long these can stay?

81. Sabrina says:

cannot stress enough how popular these have made me 😀 thank you katie

82. Kristen says:

Can you recommend one of your chocolate cake or cupcake recipes to use as the batter for “regular” chocolate cake/white filling whoopie pies? I would love to make chocolate whoopie pies with your marshmallow filling. Thanks! Love your work :)

1. Hi! Sorry, I’m not sure. I’ve never tried. Maybe the chocolate mayonnaise cupcakes?

83. Anonymous says:

katie , marshmellow fluff is not vegan- it contains egg whites , please make sure before you tell us that it is vegan, some people come here because they are alergic to eggs and actually trust your word , maybe you should edit your post. <3

1. Hi anon,
      The brands I recommended are indeed egg-white–free :).

84. Jessica says:

I always wondered why you italicized “raw” in raw cashew butter. I don’t know why! The answer is quite obvious. Anyways. This looks even more delicious than smores. Next camping trip, skipping the marshmallows and buying some tofu! :)

1. Hi Jessica,
      There’s raw cashew butter and there’s also roasted… Usually most stores will only carry the roasted one. But Artisana makes one that hasn’t been roasted, and it has a completely different taste. Sorry for the confusion!

85. Alexis says:

Salted Carmel and chocolate cookies! Yum! I LOVE your website! Thanks!

1. Alexis says:

(And please respond soon!!!)

86. Tricia says:

For the whoppie pies what an you substitute for the tofu?

87. Maddie says:

Hi Katie! I just made this recipe and they’re delicious! However, the cookie batter part was runny like cake batter and they didn’t rise at all when cooked. They were whoopie pancakes too! I followed the recipe exactly; do you have any idea what could have gone wrong? Thanks in advance!

1. Hi Maddie,
      Can you read through the “Recipe FAQ” page at the top of the blog? And report back… if none of the troubleshooting answers what happened, be sure to reply back with more specifics about the ingredients you used and hopefully I can help figure out what happened.