S’mores Whoopie Pies

What’s black and white…

smores whoopie pie

And smothered in gooey marshmallow fluff?

S’mores Whoopie Pies!

A few weeks ago, my first attempt at s’mores whoopie pies went terribly awry. So terribly awry that I won’t even post a photo. Let’s just say they looked more like whoopie pancakes than pies. I wanted to give the experiment another go for Sunday’s Oscars party.

If it didn’t work, I had a backup: Secret Peanut Butter Cookies.

But I really wanted it to work!

The whoopie pies were perfect to represent the black-and-white theme of The Artist. Luckily, my second try was a big, fat (literally) success. And, as it turns out, I picked a great dessert for the night; The Artist won Best Picture!

healthy whoopie pies

The whoopie pies definitely won Best Dressed.

And best taste.

marshmallow whoopie pies

But they are chocolate, after all. So really, it was no competition.

S’mores Whoopie Pies

(makes 12 circles)

Categorized here: Cookies and Bars.

• 1/4 cup milk of choice
  • scant 1 tsp vinegar
  • 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (or white flour)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • just over 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup evaporated cane juice (or white sugar)
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons applesauce
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons oil (coconut or canola/veg)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix vinegar into milk, and set aside. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix very well. Then put all the other liquid ingredients into the vinegar mixture and stir. Pour wet into dry, and stir to combine. Drop tiny circles (a little over the size of a silver dollar) onto 1 or 2 cookie trays. (Or, if you have a whoopie pie maker, you can use that! I don’t have one.) Bake around 8 minutes.

Marshmallow Cream:

If you don’t want to use this recipe, or if you can’t find marshmallow flavoring, you can use Ricemellow Cream or Smuckers marshmallow fluff instead. Both are vegan.)

• 2/3 cup Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu (140 g) (I’m sure soft-silken would work too!)
  • 6 tablespoons coconut butter or raw cashew butter
  • scant 1/8th tsp salt
  • 8-10 drops marshmallow flavoring (like this one)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener to taste (stevia, agave, sugar, etc.)

Blend everything in a blender, food processor, or Magic Bullet cup. This frosting is thicker when cold, so it’s a good idea to make it up ahead of time. But don’t frost the whoopie pies until just before serving (or frost them and then store in the fridge).

**For a soy-free frosting, add the vanilla and marshmallow extracts to the following recipe (and sub the pb for coconut butter or raw cashew butter): Soy-Free Option.

And, of course, the chocolate…

smores pies

I used my favorite chocolate recipe: Hot Chocolate Butter.

If you prefer, feel free to use your favorite hot fudge sauce, chocolate frosting, or melted chocolate chips. Just be sure to add chocolate in some form. This recipe (well, any recipe!) is nothing without chocolate Winking smile.

marshmallow whoopie pies

Question of the Day:

What whoopie pie flavors would you like to see?

Now that I have a successful base recipe, I’m excited to experiment with new flavors: What about red velvet, or chocolate chip cookie dough, or cinnamon roll pies…

Or maybe whoopie pies from my Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bars.

Tags: , ,

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler-we pick Rick says:

OH MY WORD!!!!!! These look perfect for a Ladies Night i’m going to tomorrow with my friends. Will try NOW!

2. Sue Breem says:

These photos are phenomenal! You impress me every single day, and your blog is easily my favorite website, CCK.

I wanted to letcha know that I’m sending your WFAA story to Ellen DeGeneres. And I’m telling my friends to do the same. You should be on her show!

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler-we pick Rick says:

+1- even if i can’t stand Ellen, I’d love to see you on her show, only reason I’d watch her!

1. Wow, thank you!
        I doubt it will happen… but it sure would be amazing! And just the fact that you’d take the time to do something like that for me means so incredibly much. 🙂

2. Samantha says:

That would be really great if she got on the show!

3. Pumpkin whoopie pies. Definitely. Or coconut!

1. Amy says:

Oh Coconut . . .

4. Yum, those look delicious! Your fellow party-goers were very lucky (as usual)! And I love the black and white theme for the Artist – so fun. Pumpkin cream cheese whoopie pies sound ahhh-mazing!

5. oh gosh, those look so delicious! I’ve never had a real Whoopie Pie!

6. DawnW says:

Hi! Everybody go to The Kitchn,open an account if you don’t already have one,and vote for Chocolate-Covered Katie for Best Recipe Blog! http://www.thekitchn.com/best-recipe-blog-nominations-the-homies-2012-166621

1. Thanks Dawn! You are awesome! I think there’s no way I’m beating Pioneer Woman, though! Oh well… lol 😉

2. Rachele says:

I tried to vote but it looks like you can only vote for the top six. If I click on cck, it’s just a hyperlink to her website.

1. Aw, you are too sweet, Rachele!
        Maybe the general voting is closed by now… a few days ago, you could vote for anyone. I voted for someone who didn’t make the top six either (not myself… lol I couldn’t bring myself to do it!)

7. I just bought a whoopie pie pan last night that I can’t wait to use! I will def, have to try this recipe with it!

8. Zestful Lou says:

Wow! So adorable. Birthday #25 is coming up shortly. Perhaps I should consider throwing a black and white party?!

These whoopie pies would be making a cameo appearance, of course. 😉

9. Samantha says:

So I admit I have never, ever had a whoopie pie. I look forward to making my own as my first time trying them. They look wonderful!

10. Oh my goodness, Katie, you’ve done it again! I think s’mores are one of the bestest treats, ever. I love to go camping and hiking, and no trip is complete without s’mores. Now I don’t have to wait until summertime to enjoy my favorite treat!

And thanks for the tip about the marshmallow flavoring – I’m going to look for some!

11. Oh wow! I didn’t know that smuckers marshmallow creme was vegan! I’d much rather make my own but I don’t know that marshmallow flavoring is in my budget right now. Thank you so much for the awesome recipe!! =)

12. YUMMY!!!! 🙂 Sounds pretty much perfect to me!

13. Annie says:

OMG you made my morning with this recipe!

I’d love to see a recipe for a strawberry cheesecake whoopie pie!

14. Heather says:

OH MY, how yummy? Is there a nutritional guide on this one?

1. No, because it depends on a lot of factors such as what fillings you use and how much of each filling you spread on each pie.

1. Renske says:

Couldn’t you please post a nutritional guide on the ones that YOU made? It would be great to have a referencepoint! Please? (:

15. Ohh, these look divine!! Do you get annoyed when your baking experiments go wrong? I have a long standing I-cannot-bake-you-for-the-life-of-me relationship with sugar cookies and I get so upset every time it goes wrong!

1. Sometimes… especially when it means I waste ingredients or a lot of time :(.
      But other times, it’s a great learning experience… or I am lucky and can even turn the recipe failure into something else! I did that with a failed cookie recipe once; it made great granola bars!

1. Morgan says:

I feel the SAME way about waffles. I love, love, love waffles and I can’t get them right for the life of me! It’s so weird! These look so yummy, Katie! I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for persevering!

16. god i love whoopie pies! i’d love to see a version with figs.

17. This is a really impressive recipe to come up with – you have to veganize the marshmallow cream, then the chocolate spread, then the whoopie pies – I don’t blame you for having one fail (though I would love to see that pic! I love fail pics sometimes, they’re like a blooper reel at the end of a movie!) but these finished products look fabulous!

18. Alaina says:

This is definitely being bookmarked!

I would love to see mint chocolate chip whoopie pies. 🙂

19. Ashley says:

Those all sound good! What about something with peanut butter?

20. Hey Katie, just curious if you’ve seen any ricemallow fluff in stores anytime recently? I live in the Dallas area too and used to pick it up at Central Market, but can’t seem to find it ANYWHERE now. Just thought it was worth a shot to see if you’d seen it….

1. Plano Whole Foods! Baking section 🙂