Key Lime Pie Parfaits

key lime parfaits

Soft, sandy beaches.

Cool ocean breezes.

Sunshine. Sunshine. Sunshine…

key lime pudding

And key lime pie.

I often think I should move to Florida. Some of my happiest childhood memories are from visiting my grandparents’ home in West Palm Beach. On those vacations, we did everything you’d typically associate with Florida living: splashed in the pool, drank freshly-squeezed orange juice (from freshly-picked oranges!), played in the sand and baked in the sun, chased after the lizards that crawled up Grandma and Grandpa’s porch screen…

And ate key lime pie.

Actually, I never ate key lime pie in Florida. (Even as a little kid, I had zero interest in the non-chocolate desserts!) But any mention of key lime pie reminds me of a particular restaurant at which we often dined during our Floridian visits. The restaurant was famous for this pie, and therefore someone at our table almost always ordered it. (Me? I went for the chocolate mousse. Every time.)

I figured it’d be fun to create a key-lime-pie—themed dessert for St. Patrick’s Day this year, since my blog is lacking in the lemon & lime department. (There’s a reason it’s not called Citrus-Covered Katie…) I was originally going for a pudding; however the results were a bit thinner than traditional pudding, so I’m calling it Key Lime Cream:

key lime

Key Lime Pie Cream

(Good for St. Patrick’s Day!)

Categorized here: Pudding and Dip Recipes.

• 2 cups milk of choice (for a richer result, try using canned coconut milk as some or all of your milk)
  • 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (Anyone want to try a gf flour and tell me how it goes?)
  • 3 tablespoons evaporated cane juice (or regular sugar)
  • 2 nunatural stevia packets (or 2 more tablespoons sugar)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup Mori-Nu silk-firm tofu (If you don’t like tofu, don’t worry… this is such a small amount that I promise you can’t taste it!)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tsp pure lemon extract
  • 1/3 cup lime juice (key lime or regular lime)
  • for the green: I was brave and used a few handfuls of spinach… and it paid off! I couldn’t taste the spinach at all!! But if you’re not brave, you can use a few drops food coloring instead.

Blend the tofu with 1 T of the milk. (If you don’t have a blender, you can try soft tofu… but I haven’t personally tried it in this recipe. I used a Magic Bullet short cup as my blender.) In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients except extracts and optional spinach, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Lower the heat and continue to cook until desired thickness is reached. Then remove from heat and add the vanilla and lemon extracts. Chill in the fridge. When it’s cold, blend everything with the spinach. (Once again, you can skip this blending step if you must… but the texture is better if you don’t. And if you want a thicker pudding, maybe add more tofu? Let me know how it goes if you do!)

See the following for: Calories + Nutrition Facts.

I know people will ask about substitutions: I can only vouch for the results if you follow the recipe, and I can’t tell you if a substitution will work, because I’ve only tried it as written. But please feel free to experiment with substitutions, and be sure to report back so others can read about your results!

key lime parfaits

If desired, serve in mini glasses with: S’mores Graham Crackers.

And pretend that you are in Florida.

Unless you’re lucky enough to actually be there!

florida pool

Question of the Day:

Have you ever been to Florida?

I went at least once a year when my grandparents lived in the sunshine state. We even decorated a palm tree one year with Christmas lights. I really miss those days…

Final note: winner of the $100 Shopping Spree Giveaway.

Tags: , ,

1. Is it possible to make this without the tofu? My little one is extremely allergic to soy…I mean severely! I really want to try this though!

1. L. says:

Hi Jolene,
      Just wanted to point out that Katie wrote about substitutions in her post.

🙂

1. furpurr says:

I am sure she saw that; she was just wanting to know if anyone else might have some ideas for her to try…which a few did indeed! 😎

2. jenni ingram says:

i’m wondering if cashew butter (raw cashews soaked and then ground up in the blender or store bought) might do for tofu. the soy thing is a frustration in our house, too.

3. jessica says:

Maybe try using ricotta instead of the tofu?

1. Aly says:

Ricotta sounds like it’d be a good substitute!

4. You can use something like agar agar or gelatin to create a thickened mold and then blend according to directions. The result should be pretty similar since silken tofu has about the same texture as the gel from gelatin or agar agar. Good luck!

1. Ann says:

Another possible sub is the cream from full fat coconut milk that’s been chilled in the fridge. You can also add a little starch, such as arrowroot, to the cold mixture before cooking.

2. this look amazing! i am going to have to try it soon!

3. Oh please please PLEASE move to Florida! I volunteer to be your official taste tester 🙂

4. PK says:

*waves Hi from Australia *

Ah, Florida. We went to Orlando in late October (and did Halloween at both Magic Kingdom and Universal Studios/ Harry Potter World, and did NASA as well. Magic, just magic) 2010. No day under 90F, humidity always 80% or higher. It was hot and I had trouble breathing the wet air. It was just like a mid-summer’s day here. Hate the climate, but Orlando’s a pretty great place to visit.

Next time we’re planning on January/February, and we’ll be seeing more of the state than just Orlando (we’re hoping to get a tour into the Everglades, too) – but we’re so hoping the days will be a little cooler and drier!

1. Ah Australia… another place I’ve always wanted to go!

I’m not big on the Florida humidity either… but it sure is nice around Christmastime, when everywhere else is cold! Then again, I bet Australia is nice around Christmastime… lol see? I told you I want to go there! 😉

1. Tiph says:

I live (born & raised) in SWFL, and the humidity really isn’t all that bad — except in the very middle of the summer (Starting in the end of May… peaking in July/August and getting less as intense by Sept/Oct) — but that’s the time where you stay in the A/C or really take advantage of the pools/ocean. 🙂 Of course the weather can be unpredictable at any time of the year… as PK has attested.. but for the most part, it’s a warm, sunny tropical paradise!

For example, the winter this year was unusually warm, but beautiful! (as in, I never completely lost my tan from the summer!!). We only maybe had a handful of “cold” days (upper 50’s/low 60’s), but otherwise we’ve had a good 5(+)mos of temps in anywhere from the mid-60’s to the upper-70’s… and lots & lots of glorious sunshine!

Today was 76° with 62% humidity. Yes, I adore where I live! 🙂

5. My mom LOVES Key Lime Pie! She actually fell in love with it in Florida when we took a trip to the Keys. Half of our family lives in Florida, so we’re there a lot.

Thanks for this!

6. L. says:

Never been to Florida, but I’d love to go someday, just for Disneyworld alone! Yes, I am still a child at heart.
    And you are super adorable!

7. Annabel says:

Ooh, I’ll be going to Florida for the first time in a couple weeks!
    Key lime parfaits sound “parfait” (‘perfect’ in French) for a hot Floridian day. 😀

8. Sarahishealthy says:

Key lime pie is my FAVORITE food!!!! Sorry, chocolate ;).
    Making this today!!! You rock, CCK!

9. Alexandra says:

This makes me so happy! And what perfect timing because I am visiting my grandma in west palm beach Florida as we speak! On the beach reading your blog post and I squealed at the coincidence.

1. Lucky! I wish my grandparents still lived there. Have extra fun for me!! 🙂

10. Faith says:

I LOVE key lime pie! Of course, I grew up in the Florida Keys, so it would just be weird if I didn’t 🙂

Just a quick note for the sake of authenticity, unlike regular limes, the inside of key limes is not green! It has a more greenish tint than lemons, but still isn’t really green. The rinds actually turn yellow when they are ripe! Some places add green food coloring to match peoples idea of what it should look like for the word “lime” in the name. But a true purist key lime pie would definitely not be green.

That said, I’d probably add some green this month just for St. Patrick’s day 🙂

1. Wow, haha that’s the same with mint chocolate chip ice cream!

11. Arielle says:

I also went to Florida when I was little because my grandma used to lived there, but I have barely any memories of it :-/ I would like to go again, if only to visit Harry Potter World 🙂

1. Samantha says:

I have to look this up!

12. Lauren says:

Those little parfaits are gorgeous. I adore your photography, Katie. Forget the cookbook, come out with a food photography book just of the pictures!

No wait, I want a CCK cookbook too :).

13. Samantha says:

Good morning!

Congratulations to Trish…I just went to her site. Those are some fancy bundts! Wow. 🙂

Cute photo of you in Florida, I have never been but it is a place I would love to visit. I think because I associate that state with hurricanes I can’t imagine living there. Not that I am loving the WA winter right now…

This will be a good recipe for me to try since I have never had a key lime pie in my life. And also, I have this strange draw to lemon right now and lime is close enough as far as I am concerned.

Have you been making your africards?

1. Samantha says:

Oh good. I was thinking about that project the other day and it seemed like such a good idea.

1. Kathy says:

You live in WA? Me too! I agree w/ our weather; as a matter of fact, it snows for about 1.5 hrs this morning starting at ~7:45am!

14. I’ve been to FL quite a few times actually! And all over the state, it’s a great place.

15. Michelle says:

Funny I just made a raw key lime pie (with spinach this weekend) you cant taste it at all.
    This sounds great!!!

I went to Florida once it was end of April and way too humid for me, went to Orlando and Ft. lauderdale I didn’t like it, weather and bugs…lol but I am a spoiled Southern Calfornia girl… But I know people love the Keys.. my brother is moving there this year…

16. Just found your blog and looking forward to perusing for more recipes! This looks great!

17. Pretty! I love that all the blogs are starting the green stuff today! I was never a huge fan of Florida. I’ve been to Pensacola a few times and to Orlando. Disney was cool, but beaches aren’t really my thing.

18. These look delicious! Key lime pie is always a summer favorite, loving that this is a healthy option!

19. i adore key lime pie, it reminds me of summer. 🙂 I recently came across a recipe for a key lime pie tart, but these look SO much easy and healthy to boot. it’s so warm where i am today, so a light parfait like this would be perfect. great recipe Katie!

20. Lisa C says:

Eeeeee little CCK is too cute! And the flamingo… awwww 🙂 🙂

1. Lisa C says:

P.S. Writing lime juice on the list. I am so making these for St. Patrick’s Day!

1. Kat says:

Make sure you get key lime juice. There is a difference..