Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Coconut Cookie Chicks

chick cookie

Do it!

If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend this macaroon recipe.

I know; you’re probably rolling your eyes at me because I highly recommend a lot of things. But that’s because every single recipe published on my site has been tested and approved by many people, not just me (and not just vegans or health-food eaters, either). I test the recipes on my family, my friends, their families… I will absolutely never post a mediocre recipe.

And more than one person has said this is the BEST macaroon recipe he or she’s ever tasted, vegan or not. So do not be afraid to serve the following to even the pickiest of Easter guests:

easter cookies

Coconut Cookie Easter Chicks!

Super-delicious, and super-adorable… although when my friend Allison saw them, she asked, “Katie, what’s with the owl cookies?”

chick macaroons

I am NOT an owl!!!

Baring teeth smile

Anywhoos… I’ve re-posted the macaroon recipe below for your convenience, with the chick instructions listed at the end. The chick idea isn’t mine; I saw it in a Taste of Home Easter magazine at the checkout counter. (If I remember correctly, the magazine version used licorice, jelly beans, and chocolate chips to decorate their chicks.)

Baby Chick Macaroons

(Makes 12-14)

Category: Healthy Cookie Recipes

• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (see below for a lower-calorie version)
  • 1 tbsp whatever flour you wish (such as ww pastry or even coconut flour)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp lite canned coconut milk (or regular canned)
  • 3 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup
  • 1 packet stevia (or 1 more tbsp agave, and cut back on liquid)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • tiny bit over 1/16 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a tall dish and microwave 3 minutes. (Or cook on the stovetop until it’s firm enough to scoop out in ball shapes.) Scoop into balls on a cookie tray (I used a melon baller, but a spoon or ice-cream scoop will work.) Cook at 360 F for 14-16 minutes. (Or maybe even cook the balls in the microwave?? But I haven’t tried this.) Let cool before removing from tray. Makes around 12-14 cookies.

Lower-Calorie Version

For chicks: Once cooled, get creative with whatever ingredients you have on hand. I used pecans, almonds, cacao nibs, and goji berries. No one says you have to make chicks… you can make bunnies!

vegan easter cookies

Or, um, owls.

This cookie-decorating project was so simple (and fun!) that I definitely want to make more macaroon animals. What about monkey cookies with pretzel tails? Or blending in spinach and making Easter cookie frogs?

I want to make friends for poor Fred the Frog.

Tags: , ,

1. Umm this wouldn’t be appropriate for Easter, but how about a snowman? 😉 That would be a fun one!

1. Liz says:

Haha it might be appropriate for Easter in some places!

2. Sally says:

Why not… ?

2. That looks delicios! You could turn them into Easter eggs! ….I think they are cute though- and owls are *super* popular so that works too. ……No matter what, they look delicious and the ingredients are so yummy!

1. Easter eggs, another good idea!

3. Liz says:

You have outdone even yourself with the adorableness this time! I love them, and I’m definitely making them for Easter.

1. Liz says:

Oh, and you’re right about the macaroons, too.

I have made them three times now, and the second time I gave one to my boyfriend and he STILL refuses to believe that they are vegan!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

So funny! I had the same experience with my mom when I made Katie’s macaroons. She just kept saying “this is vegan? No way. It tastes like a real macaroon!”
        Like vegan macaroons aren’t real or something? lol :)

2. My friends do that too!
        “It tastes so real!” Well that’s because it IS real ;).

4. How cute are these guys?! Hahaha seriously, I love them.

5. Samantha says:

So CUTE!

I will get back to you on creations…once I make them! I laughed about the snowman comment because seriously, that could be possible where I live.

Loved the little frogs. They could be peaceful little curled up cats?

6. So cute! I bet you’d be one of those people who’d be an amazing cake decorator. So artistic!

7. Barb says:

Easter bunnies!

8. Oh my goodness, these are SO adorable!!! Very creative – they would be so much fun to have on an Easter dinner table. This dessert could definitely double as a center piece! If people could resist eating them during dinner :)

9. So funny on reading my mind! I will have SO much fun with this!!! Almond beak? Pistachio beak? Pecan feet? Walnut feet? What else? Oh, and making bunnies? Hazelnut tail? Or better yet: chocolate chip (or chunk) tail? Currants for eyes? Or mini chocolate chips? Maybe I need to hold a macaroon chick and bunny fashion show?!?!?! :O Or I rather just eat them :-))

1. Em says:

Mmm chocolate chip eyes!

10. Kristine says:

Using coconut flour these are kosher for Passover too!! Thanks for the recipe. I’m thinking chicks would be adorable at our Sedar!!

11. Sarahishealthy says:

I am so excited to make these!!! I love the macaroon recipe, but I actually fogot about it because there are just TOO MANY of your recipes that I love! I need more time in the day to make them all. I will be making the chicks for Easter for sure… if I can wait that long, because now I have a huge craving for your macaroons and I don’t think I can wait til Sunday!

12. Em says:

Oh awesome! I had no idea what I was going to bring to my friend’s Easter gathering on Saturday. I should’ve known I’d find the answer on my favorite blog :).

13. These are so cute!! Seriously I’m in loove.

You could make little pumpkins around Halloween time, Turkeys around Thanksgiving…the possibilities are endless!

1. Karen says:

Oh dear, oh dear… now I don’t think I can wait until Thanksgiving. I want me a pumpkin turkey macaroon!

14. Katie,
    these are the cutest little things! I bet you could easily turn them into turkeys around thanksgiving time.

15. Those are too cute!!! I love when you come up with themed things for holidays!

16. Karen says:

Love them!!!
    Love your blog!!!
    Love macaroons… so I will be trying these. Maybe today ;).

17. the macaroons are SOOO good , trust me I’ve made them before. But who am I to judge since I LOVE everything that involves coconut.

the owls are too cute!!

1. Emma the Hungry Hippie says:

Yay for coconut lovers! I made these macaroons and have to admit that 1/2 the dough never even made it into the oven ;).

18. Emma the Hungry Hippie says:

Anyone else thinking of Harry Potter?
    I’m not an owl!

1. Haha I most definitely thought of that when I wrote the post!

2. Sara Dane says:

Yes! I’m in love with all things Owls!

19. Rosalie says:

Funny, this popped up on my pinterest at the same time as a sort of similar photo over at Oh She Glows ( I think OSG might win for “looking more like chicks” but I think your giant-footed macaroons are spunkier. Great idea!

1. Wow, I agree. Hers are cuter and look more like chicks. How on earth did I miss her posting about them?!

1. Jen says:

Angela’s post is actually from last year, which is probably why you didn’t see it!

20. A.Cook says:

Wow–SO cute!!! Thanks for specifying that the recipe uses canned coconut milk (as opposed to the kind you pour on cereal)–it is not always as clear as one might think which one a recipe is calling for!

21. L. says:

Super super cute!

22. Leah says:

These are so cute! I’ve only ever heard of macaroons as a Passover food before

23. CherylK says:

I will take your word that it’s the best macaroon recipe and I’ll be making it, today! Macaroons might just be my favorite cookie. I love the chicks…too cute!

1. Liz says:

You won’t be disappointed! These are amazing!

24. Meg says:

Ahh these are absolutely adorable and who doesn’t LOVE a good macaroon. Both my boyfriend and my parents are obsessed with them so I will totally be making these adorable guys for Easter!

25. Awww these are so cute!! Love it!

26. Jasmin says:

So adorable! Bunnies would be so cute too! I have never had a macaroon… i think I need to try it though.. although I don’t really like dry cookies much either. and wow katie you dont like oreos?? me neither! and everyone gives me weird looks! lol!

1. I guess they’re ok… if you dunk them in milk and turn them to mush!

27. Jen says:

These guys are too cute! And owls?!? Haha where did she get owls from?!

28. Kit-Kat says:

SOOOO CUUUUUTE!!! <3 <3 <3
    Anyways, I can invision making little pumpkins or turkeys for Thanksgiving! You could make the coconut orange or brown in colorr to make it more festive! You could also make snowmen, or a christmas tree!!!

29. Awww 😀 How cute! How about making a little piggy? pigs are cute…

30. So excited about this recipe! I’m going to make macaroon nests on Easter (nutella in the middle with peanut M&Ms) and now I’m going to use this recipe to do so! It looks awesome and I can’t wait to make it!

31. Aja says:

Those are seriously adorable! I don’t know if I could eat them, then again I probably could. :)

32. Jacqueline says:

THESE ARE SOOO CUTE! I love them!! Well, I’d have to say try making turtles-those are my favorite animal and the shape would lend itself well to the macaroons! YUM!

33. Alanna says:

Oh my goodness, how adorable!! I love the idea of adding spinach (well, not taste-wise, lol) and making frogs. Bunnies would definitely be cute, too. Hmm, what else… having trouble coming up with other Easter-themed animals! I love macaroons and have been meaning to try yours, but kept forgetting about them. As a side note, is everything working with your email subscriptions? I got the carrot cake post but not this one for some reason. I didn’t see it in my spam folder but it’s possible I missed it.

1. Ugh.
      I do not understand my email thing :(. Yes, it skipped today for no apparent reason. You’re not imagining it… every now and then (once every few weeks?) it completely ignores the fact that I’ve posted something. I have no idea how to fix it.

1. Alanna says:

That’s okay, I still saw it on Facebook. (c: At least it’s not just me!

2. michelle says:

Ok I just check ur website every so often it doesn’t send me an email …glad its not just me

34. Natalie says:

What about bunnies with brazil nut ears and macadamia nut tails? So cute. Katie, when are you going to write a book???

1. I’m working on one :) :).
      It’s a long process, though!

35. First off, I adore coconut just about as much as I adore chocolate, so YAY for this recipe. Secondly, how flipping precious are those little birdies?!? So darn tootin’ cute. Thirdly, I’m obsessed with owls. I own owl everything. Owl checks, owl pajamas, owl jewelry so I am an unclassified owl expert. These do not look like owls. At all.

36. Debbie says:

These look so good. Now I have to make them for Easter. They will make a great centerpiece. I’m thinking of dying some shredded coconut green and putting these chicks on it with some vegan chocolate bunnies.

37. So cute! How about little turtles?

38. The expression on that last chick’s face (it’s probably weird to say this!) is brilliant; it looks so peeved at being called an owl! So cute :-)

39. Annie says:

I made the macaroons and agree with you about them being delicious!

1. Aw I’m so glad you liked them!

40. I’ve been a longtime reader even though I don’t typically comment, but this was TOO FREAKING ADORABLE not to! So cute!!

41. cammy says:

SO SO SO SO SO CUTE! Im making these for Easter but shaping them into nests, baking them, then fill with nondairy chocolate and top with some vegan jelly beans. Thanks for the ideal Katie I had no ideal of what to bring for a vegan dessert to Easter

1. Ooh nests? That’s adorable!

42. Katie Ann says:

I was just thinking that I so want to make these but have NO flour. But you know what I have? Oatmeal. I’ve read about people just throwing oats in a food processor to make oat flour, I assume that would work. Or I could always go down to a bulk bin at Whole Foods and get 1 TBSP of flour…

1. cammy says:

Ive down that many times- works like a charm

2. Just make sure to measure the 1 T after blending the oats, not before ;).

43. These look adorable and delicious!

44. Caralyn says:

These cookies would make cute turtles! :)

45. Kara says:

how cute!!!! i might have to make these for easter!

46. I think this is the best macaroon recipe I have seen so far, plus they are grain-free, egg-free, and SIMPLE! I’m usually not one for baking holiday-themed goods, but you have won me over! Thanks Katie :)

47. LizAshlee says:

These are adorable! I have to make something like this with my niece..she would love it..we have been making a lot of crafts as I am visiting her this week…love your idea!

48. Lauren says:

OK those are the cutest things ever! And awesome you didn’t use any candies to decorate!!!

49. um, i’m dying. these are adorable.

50. Debbie P. says:

Oh, and when football season comes, would love to make an elephant!!! :-) A Crimson donned elephant for ‘Bama lovers – ooh, SO need it in time for September… :-) For now, am elated to be making these for Easter!!!

51. How cute! I want to put them as my center piece on Easter!

52. Meg says:

Absolutely adorable — and I love, love macaroons!

53. Paula says:

Hey Katie! I love this recipe and I can’t wait to try it tonight. Quick question, could I make them with sweetened coconut as well, or should I get some unsweetened stuff at the store?

1. Hmmm… I don’t know! I’ve only tried with the unsweetened. If you experiment, be sure to report back!

54. I vote for an albino turtle with goji berry red eyes! Or you could blend spinach in the batter…
    Either way, great recipe and pics.
    PS: I really would like to see a turtle :)

55. Megan says:

These are too cute for words! Almost too cute to eat! I love making animals or characters out of food. My mom used to make snowman pancakes with chocolate chip eyes and buttons. It makes it all the tastier and all the more fun! You certainly seem like the person to have around for the holidays with all your themed desserts :) Happy Easter!

56. Ashley says:

I thought I was the only person who doesn’t like Oreos too! Nice to know someone else can’t stand them either!

57. Anonymous says:

I prefer your choices of toppings, particularly the almond beak – too cute!
    I will make these for my guy’s birthday but will make them into robots (not sure how). I myself am a penguin fan. Perhaps, dipping the sides into melted dark chocolate??? Happy Easter to you if you celebrate it, and if not, happy weekend!

58. vogelstar says:

sorry for double posting but the last comment was from me :)

59. Xanthe says:

Katie, don’t know if my iPhone is messing up your photo order but today this post is crazy! Yesterday it was fine with all the chick pics looking cute but today there are random carrot cake and other recipe photos inserted instead here and there. (eg in the pic with the caption i am not an owl there is now carrot cake in bowl i think, its kind of funny though!) Thought I’d give you a heads up in case something’s gone wrong…and I dot want anyone who didn’t catch the post yesterday to miss out on the cute little chicks. X

1. Hmm… yikes, I hope it’s just your phone acting up! It looks ok on my computer, but I’ll definitely keep an eye on it. Things definitely do sometimes act weird on my blog!

1. Xanthe says:

It looks fine again now :) glad it didn’t seem to be a problem.

2. But seriously, thanks for letting me know so I could watch in case it was a problem. I’ve had sidebar photos go missing, my header go off-center, entire pages disappear only for some readers… all sorts of weird things have happened before to my blog, so I really appreciate when someone takes the time to tell me of a possible issue :).

60. Tinah says:

I saw a picture of this on and so I clicked the link. Your page came up and I yelled “Why am I not surprised!? Of course you would do something like this. I can’t wait to try this. Thank you for what you do, Katie. You rock.

61. Susan says:

How do you make the decorations stay stuck? Size would be helpful, too since I think mine are too small to decorate.

1. I just pushed the “beaks” and eyes in really far. For the feet, they’re not stuck at all… I just served them right on the plate. People ate the feet first ;).

62. Alanna says:

These are so yummy! Just made them this morning, and they were seriously easy (just like all your recipes!). I probably could have left them in the oven a tad longer since the middles were still soft, but they held their shape enough to come off the tray and get into my belly. (c: I think my melon baller must be pretty small because I ended up with about 24 little cookies, but that’s just bonus as far as I’m concerned! (c:

63. I just made these yesterday! I even made a turtle and a cat, and egg baskets! Just posted pictures – certainly not as adorable as yours are, and I think it could’ve helped if I made them a bit bigger. But I had so much fun making them and they are seriously SO GOOD!!! Thanks for the recipe, Katie!!

64. Those are SO cute!!!!!!! 😀

65. Adorable! These look a lot like the macaroons my grandma used to make.

66. Dana says:

As cute as these are (and they certainly are), as macaroons are traditional Passover desserts, some acknowledgment of that fact (or of the holiday, in general) would have been very much appreciated :\

1. Kailee says:

This comment is SO rude and close minded :(.
      Dana, not everyone celebrates Passover, and so how would people who don’t know about the holiday even know that macaroons are a traditional Passover dessert? Instead of berating the blogger for something she probably didn’t know, and therefore of course didn’t mention, how about using it as an opportunity to teach something about your heritage/beliefs?

2. Sarah says:

Why would you assume that everyone who isn’t Jewish would know about the foods or traditions or customs? I had no idea macaroons were Passover foods, simply because no one ever told me. How would I know?

Do you know what foods they serve for Kwanzaa? Or Fasika?
      Do you even know what Fasika is? (without googling it!)

I’m not asking to be rude, so please don’t take it as such. I’m asking to help you understand what was wrong with the wording of your comment.

67. I made this but it needed more flour. I also covered them in chocolate. Thanks for the recipe!

68. Sandy says:

i tired these and my chickens fell apart when i went to put in the bits & pieces for the eyes and hair etc!
    What did i do wrong?

1. Hmmm… Did you let them sit ten minutes to cool before decorating?

69. Sandy says:

PS – they still tasted TOTALLY divine though! :-)

70. Noemi says:

I just made them. The taste was excellent but it did grow and it got stick to the pan. What happen? Was it the flour, was it 1 cup and not 1 tbsp? Help

1. Can you tell me more about what specific ingredients you used?
      No, the 1 T is correct 😕

71. Samantha says:

On the light recipe, is it lite canned coconut milk or the kind that comes in a carton?

72. aisha says:

dispite i dont celibrate easter i want to make thease soo bad!! but i dont know i could get the pecan feet stick :( if i used chocolate it would be delicious but it wont look like a chick anymore …maybe if i dunk the whole cookie in chocolate i could make a black bird lol thats another anmial hehe also you could dye the coconut green and make coconut mutant ninja turtles

73. Virginia says:

These are so stinkin cute!! And this post cracks me up.

74. Logan Bachman says:

These look so cute and I want to make them for my Easter party tomorrow, but if you wait till the macaroons cool then how do you get the pecan feet to stick? 😀

75. Jen says:

Hi Katie! I made these today, you macaroon recipe is AMAZING! so easy and so delicious!! for some reason, my chicks were not as cute as yours… but they were still super fun. Thanks for the idea :)

76. Lucy says:

I made these yesterday. I had to microwave my mixture for a lot longer – I think a total of 5 or 6 minutes in 30 second increments after the initial 3. Apart from that, they were fantastic. Nobody could tell they were supposed to be chickens, but everyone agreed they were cute, and they could tell they were supposed to be birds. Most of us felt guilty tearing them limb from limb to eat them. I used some melted chocolate to stick the feet on, and that worked really well. As an aside, my husband laughed at me a lot over the first chicken I decorated, it transpires that the comb should run down the back of the head, not across the top :-O.

77. Hey Katie,

My little Grandaughter and I made these little chicks for Easter-a nice change from the labor intensive sugar cookies! Thanks!

78. Eleanor says:

How does everything stick on? Thank you!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You press the eyes and beak in with your hands.