Coconut Cookie Chicks

EAT ME!

chick cookie

Do it!

If you haven’t tried it, I highly recommend this macaroon recipe.

I know; you’re probably rolling your eyes at me because I highly recommend a lot of things. But that’s because every single recipe published on my site has been tested and approved by many people, not just me (and not just vegans or health-food eaters, either). I test the recipes on my family, my friends, their families… I will absolutely never post a mediocre recipe.

And more than one person has said this is the BEST macaroon recipe he or she’s ever tasted, vegan or not. So do not be afraid to serve the following to even the pickiest of Easter guests:

easter cookies

Coconut Cookie Easter Chicks!

Super-delicious, and super-adorable… although when my friend Allison saw them, she asked, “Katie, what’s with the owl cookies?”

Owls?

Seriously??

chick macaroons

I am NOT an owl!!!

Baring teeth smile

Anywhoos… I’ve re-posted the macaroon recipe below for your convenience, with the chick instructions listed at the end. The chick idea isn’t mine; I saw it in a Taste of Home Easter magazine at the checkout counter. (If I remember correctly, the magazine version used licorice, jelly beans, and chocolate chips to decorate their chicks.)

Baby Chick Macaroons

(Makes 12-14)

Category: Healthy Cookie Recipes

• 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (see below for a lower-calorie version)
  • 1 tbsp whatever flour you wish (such as ww pastry or even coconut flour)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp lite canned coconut milk (or regular canned)
  • 3 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup
  • 1 packet stevia (or 1 more tbsp agave, and cut back on liquid)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • tiny bit over 1/16 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in a tall dish and microwave 3 minutes. (Or cook on the stovetop until it’s firm enough to scoop out in ball shapes.) Scoop into balls on a cookie tray (I used a melon baller, but a spoon or ice-cream scoop will work.) Cook at 360 F for 14-16 minutes. (Or maybe even cook the balls in the microwave?? But I haven’t tried this.) Let cool before removing from tray. Makes around 12-14 cookies.

Lower-Calorie Version

For chicks: Once cooled, get creative with whatever ingredients you have on hand. I used pecans, almonds, cacao nibs, and goji berries. No one says you have to make chicks… you can make bunnies!

vegan easter cookies

Or, um, owls.

This cookie-decorating project was so simple (and fun!) that I definitely want to make more macaroon animals. What about monkey cookies with pretzel tails? Or blending in spinach and making Easter cookie frogs?

I want to make friends for poor Fred the Frog.

Tags: , ,

1. Umm this wouldn’t be appropriate for Easter, but how about a snowman? 😉 That would be a fun one!

1. Liz says:

Haha it might be appropriate for Easter in some places!

2. Sally says:

Why not… ?

2. That looks delicios! You could turn them into Easter eggs! ….I think they are cute though- and owls are *super* popular so that works too. ……No matter what, they look delicious and the ingredients are so yummy!

1. Easter eggs, another good idea!

3. Liz says:

Katie!
    You have outdone even yourself with the adorableness this time! I love them, and I’m definitely making them for Easter.

1. Liz says:

Oh, and you’re right about the macaroons, too.

I have made them three times now, and the second time I gave one to my boyfriend and he STILL refuses to believe that they are vegan!

😉

1. Sarahishealthy says:

So funny! I had the same experience with my mom when I made Katie’s macaroons. She just kept saying “this is vegan? No way. It tastes like a real macaroon!”
        Like vegan macaroons aren’t real or something? lol 🙂

1. My friends do that too!
          “It tastes so real!” Well that’s because it IS real ;).

4. How cute are these guys?! Hahaha seriously, I love them.

5. Samantha says:

So CUTE!

I will get back to you on creations…once I make them! I laughed about the snowman comment because seriously, that could be possible where I live.

Loved the little frogs. They could be peaceful little curled up cats?

6. So cute! I bet you’d be one of those people who’d be an amazing cake decorator. So artistic!

7. Barb says:

Easter bunnies!

8. Oh my goodness, these are SO adorable!!! Very creative – they would be so much fun to have on an Easter dinner table. This dessert could definitely double as a center piece! If people could resist eating them during dinner 🙂

9. So funny on reading my mind! I will have SO much fun with this!!! Almond beak? Pistachio beak? Pecan feet? Walnut feet? What else? Oh, and making bunnies? Hazelnut tail? Or better yet: chocolate chip (or chunk) tail? Currants for eyes? Or mini chocolate chips? Maybe I need to hold a macaroon chick and bunny fashion show?!?!?! :O Or I rather just eat them :-))

1. Em says:

Mmm chocolate chip eyes!

10. Kristine says:

Using coconut flour these are kosher for Passover too!! Thanks for the recipe. I’m thinking chicks would be adorable at our Sedar!!

11. Sarahishealthy says:

I am so excited to make these!!! I love the macaroon recipe, but I actually fogot about it because there are just TOO MANY of your recipes that I love! I need more time in the day to make them all. I will be making the chicks for Easter for sure… if I can wait that long, because now I have a huge craving for your macaroons and I don’t think I can wait til Sunday!

12. Em says:

Oh awesome! I had no idea what I was going to bring to my friend’s Easter gathering on Saturday. I should’ve known I’d find the answer on my favorite blog :).

13. Katie,
    these are the cutest little things! I bet you could easily turn them into turkeys around thanksgiving time.

14. Those are too cute!!! I love when you come up with themed things for holidays!

15. Karen says:

Love them!!!
    Love your blog!!!
    Love macaroons… so I will be trying these. Maybe today ;).

16. the macaroons are SOOO good , trust me I’ve made them before. But who am I to judge since I LOVE everything that involves coconut.

the owls are too cute!!

1. Emma the Hungry Hippie says:

Yay for coconut lovers! I made these macaroons and have to admit that 1/2 the dough never even made it into the oven ;).

17. Emma the Hungry Hippie says:

Anyone else thinking of Harry Potter?
    I’m not an owl!

1. Haha I most definitely thought of that when I wrote the post!

2. Sara Dane says:

Yes! I’m in love with all things Owls!

18. Rosalie says:

Funny, this popped up on my pinterest at the same time as a sort of similar photo over at Oh She Glows (http://ohsheglows.com/2011/04/16/spring-chick-cupcakes/). I think OSG might win for “looking more like chicks” but I think your giant-footed macaroons are spunkier. Great idea!

1. Wow, I agree. Hers are cuter and look more like chicks. How on earth did I miss her posting about them?!

1. Jen says:

Angela’s post is actually from last year, which is probably why you didn’t see it!

19. A.Cook says:

Wow–SO cute!!! Thanks for specifying that the recipe uses canned coconut milk (as opposed to the kind you pour on cereal)–it is not always as clear as one might think which one a recipe is calling for!