Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

No-Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

These bars might be your new favorite snack.

peanut butter pretzel bars

Peanut butter snack bars!

Salty and sweet, these no-bake bars taste even better than peanut butter pretzel Luna Bars. But they confuse me: How can a recipe with absolutely no chocolate taste so good?

It just doesn’t make sense.

pb lunas

You know what else confuses me?

Moles. And protons and neutrons and electrons. But mostly, moles. I sat through an entire year of AP Chemistry and still don’t understand moles. Not in the slightest.

Until I learned to cook, I thought I disliked science. Only recently did I realize the reason for my animosity towards the subject: I just couldn’t figure out how our school science experiments applied to real life. (Even the more exciting experiments, such as growing plants in 7-up or red food dye… how on earth was I ever going to use the information gleaned from that study?)

But it turns out I do like some branches of natural science, such as the science of nutrition, and the science of cooking. (Edible experiments are the best!) My advice to science teachers: Ditch the moles.

Focus on pretzels and peanut butter!

peanut butter pretzel bars

Peanut Butter Pretzel Bars

Category: Healthy Peanut Butter Recipes.

• 1 cup rice crispies (30g) (either brown or white)
  • packed 1/2 cup oat flour (70g) (see instructions for substitution)
  • 1/4 tsp salt (my pb also has salt)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 5 tablespoons agave (Pure maple syrup will probably work)
  • 3 tablespoons pb (or other nut butter) (Or you can switch the proportions of peanut butter to agave.)
  • optional: handful of broken-up pretzels (I didn’t measure)
  • optional: double batch PB Magic Shell

Combine all dry ingredients. In a separate (large) bowl, combine wet and stir to form a thin paste. (If you store your pb in the fridge, you should warm it a little for easier mixing.) Pour dry into wet (not the other way around), and stir until evenly coated. Line a baking dish or tupperware container with a large piece of wax paper and pour the mixture into the dish. Fold the extra paper over the mixture and squish down as hard as you possibly can! Use a heavy object to really press it down. (The mixture will fill a 7×5, or about 2/3 an 8×8.) Stick the mixture in the fridge or freezer to harden before cutting into bars. Makes 6 bars. (If you can’t find oat flour, you can make your own by blending oats in the food processor. Just be sure to measure after blending.)

View Nutrition Information

peanut butter luna bars

For authentic Luna Bars, top with: Peanut Butter Magic Shell.

As stated earlier, you should make a double batch to coat the bars. Spread it on evenly. When the bars cool in the fridge/freezer, the tops will magically harden.

Question of the Day:

Did you have a least favorite subject in school?

Growing up, I dreaded science class, whether it was chemistry or biology or physics. People always told me how lucky I was to get good grades on Spanish and English tests without studying… Little did they know I once studied for an AP Chem test and still got a 25 (my worst-ever test grade). But you know what? I’m more proud of the C I earned in Chem than the As in subjects that came more easily. I worked hard for that C; it could have so easily been an F! Link of the Day:

Oatmeal-Raisin Cookie Bars

Tags: , , , ,

1. Oh. my. gosh. These look AWESOME! I love salty/sweet combos! Note to self: purchase pretzels, stat.

2. I hated chemistry! Ironically I was a chem minor in college…. my adviser thought it would be helpful if I applied to grad school… I didn’t.

3. the honey peanut butter pretzel luna bars are my new favorite luna bar! definitely making your version. 🙂

4. These look awesome. We’re going away this weekend and have a long car ride ahead of us and I was trying to come up with a good snack/bar idea. These may be it 🙂

5. Ohhh Lordy. Need to make these PRONTO. PB&Pretzel may very well be my favorite taste combo ever.

Think I scrolled up to look at those pictures 8 times while writing this comment. I could totally do those for breakfast.

Hated science. Hated hated hated. Loved……lunch?

6. Samantha says:

I actually really enjoyed chemistry but was terrible at it. I got it at a concept level but just struggled with the detailed work. It was a very strange experience.

I haven’t thought about moles in years – but you are right, that idea was just a little unreachable.

I thought I hated spanish too until I got to college and finally got some great instructors. I always wanted to really be good at it and finally was!

7. Stephanie Murphy says:

Salty-sweet combo. Mmm delicious!

8. Sweet + salt is the best combo! These looks awesome.

I hated math, but not until the 11th grade. I always had done “okay” in that class … and then, BOOM, it got really hard for me. I barely made it out of it alive by the time high school was over!

9. Suzie says:

Yum, these look delicious and such a great snack for on the go! I appreciate you sharing another route to not using peanut butter, as I am allergic. And yes least favorite subject was either math or science, I was just like you fighting for survival in those courses, thanks for being so open 🙂

10. I hated math. I was in AP Calc and couldn’t manage Cs on tests even with a tutor. I guess the fact that I was in AP Calc at all means I wasn’t really AWFUL at math, but it sure felt like it.

11. Alaina says:

I didn’t like chemistry either! I took an honors course and got a C. But everyone told me that it was just like getting an A in the regular course. I liked all other sciences though (biology and anatomy) and loved history.

Oh and these bars look amazing. Peanut butter and pretzels are such a great combination.

12. Melissa says:

I am making these TODAY!! They look perfect, but I might add some raisins or dried cranberries. What I really want to add are chocolate chips! But after all the Easter candy the kiddos need a break from all the chocolate…don’t they? School was tough for me, I hated gym!!! And anything that was abstract. I’m dyslexic so a lot of stuff was hard. But I was also pretty lazy, I didn’t want to push myself! Now I wish that I could go back and try harder. Aint that always the way!?!

13. What a great recipe!! I’m going to make these today!!!

14. Loving the peanut butter recipes! Keep em coming!

15. katie says:

math and physics. i wanted to go into epidemiology when i was in college, but the math in basic bench chem was enough to make me change my major. i just can’t stand numbers, and physics just bores me to tears.

16. Ohhhh these look so firm and decadent – it’s all about texture for me! I can’t believe you made PB bars for just 140 cals, so impressive! Yummy!

17. Kaycee says:

Hi Katie, do you think you can make these bars using PB2 instead of peanut butter? Thanks! [P.s these look super yummy!]

1. Jackie says:

I am pretty sure you could use PB2. Since it is just like peanut butter when mixed with water, it would be virtually the same. Just make sure you measure the CREAMY Peanut butter, not when it is a powder.

18. Erin says:

Sound great. And love that they are no-bake, great for when you want a treat but don’t want to turn the oven on when it gets hotter this summer.

19. caterina says:

I’m totally addicted to PB! I need to make this! What could I use instead of rice krispies, which I don’t have?

1. Ellen says:

I’m thinking of using Cheerios as I don’t have any rice krispies either.

1. I can’t vouch for any substitutions because I’ve not tried them… But I’d love to hear results if anyone experiments :).

2. Ellen says:

Note: mash cheerios! or you will have a very lumpy mixture that won’t mix well 🙁 (tested and learned lol)

2. Julie says:

I used Rice Chex to make the Luna Bar recipe. They came out well. I “popped” the Chex, like it was bubble wrap. I supposed you could mash it a little with a rolling pin, but it would not be as much fun.

20. I love peanut butter treats! It’s delicious with pretzels. I hated math!! I was the same way, languages and English class came a lot easier. 🙂 And a lot more fun!