Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Mini Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

L
is for the way you look at me.

Wholesome chocolate chip cookies great for breakfast or snack, with no added sugar and no flour called for in the recipe. The perfect homemade treat to throw in a lunchbox, they are full of healthy ingredients: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/04/16/mini-chocolate-chip-breakfast-cookies/

O
is for the only one I see.

chocolate raspberry cookies

C
is for cookie.
That’s good enough for me.
Cookie cookie cookie starts with C.

Somehow, I’ve managed to mix up Nat King Cole and Cookie Monster.

love dough

Anyways…

chocolate chunk cookie

All you need is love.
And cookies.

Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • scant 1/2 cup applesauce or mashed banana
  • 1/4 cup roasted cashew butter OR allergy-friendly alternative
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • 1-2 tbsp mini chocolate chips or chunks
  • 2 1/2 tbsp freeze-dried raspberries (or 1 tbsp dried fruit OR more chocolate chips)
  • pinch stevia OR 1 tablespoon sugar. (I often omit this altogether, so if you have no sweet tooth you can try it that way. And if you have a big sweet tooth—or are used to “non-healthy-tasting” desserts—you can add extra sugar as desired.)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the applesauce or banana with the nut butter, then add all other ingredients and mix until well-combined. Shape into cookies (I used a mini cookie scoop) and bake on a greased cookie sheet for around 14-16 minutes, then let cool 10 minutes before removing from sheet. This makes 18 mini cookies (as shown in the photos), or 10-12 bigger cookies. These cookie bites are highly delicious. But don’t expect them to taste like Tollhouse chocolate-chip cookies. I do have a healthy recipe for those. See the following, which is one of my website’s most-popular recipes ever: Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies

View Breakfast Cookies Nutrition Facts

1. Samantha says:

Good to know on the Whole Foods chocolate chunk, I have been on a Sunspire Organic Fair Trade 65% Cacao Bittersweet Baking Chips rampage and need to change it up.

These look so heavenly and I love raspberry and chocolate as a combination. Will be trying soon.

Oh yes, grew up on Sesame Street! It is amazing how much it has changed and still managed to continue on.

I love Batman in the background and am SO jealous of your weather! A dress wearing day is a good day!

1. nicole long says:

These look yummy! My daughter is a T1 diabetic. How many carbs are in these?

1. Helen de Walais says:

Check the nutrition information link it’s all there..

2. Jolene says:

wow these look yum! definitely making them for brekkie tomorrow :)

3. Emma says:

Not sure what’s more gorgeous, you or the cookies!

Random question, but have you ever thought about modeling?

1. Emma says:

If not, you should! :)

1. I haven’t… but you just made my week with your comment :).

4. You look gorgeous in the picture! And I love bite size cookies :)

5. What a great cookie! However I would have to make a small batch, I can see eating way to many of them.

1. Samantha says:

LOL. I often divide her recipes down…my reasoning is easier to try more of them and more days of baking. :)

2. Jennifer says:

I love the “single lady” recipes. I would have the same problem with a larger batch :)

1. Samantha says:

No kidding. “Single Lady” fall in my why-didn’t-I-think-of-that category. Especially for recipes like these that are very easy to consume. :)

Anyway, I did a quick and tiny run at these today and if you wanted and idea of tiny portion this is what I did:

2Tbls oats
        2Tbls applesauce
        1Tbls PB
        Splash vanilla (I love vanilla, I usually go higher than called for)
        Didn’t worry about the salt
        Didn’t worry about the sugar
        2Tbls Frozen raspberries (the main reason I was testing actually – besides eating)

This produced about 5 mini-cookies. A blip on my cookie eating radar. You can see I maintained her ratios and just cut the recipe to a 1/4…I think.

Tomorrow I will do tiny amount again because I need to evaluate the sugar question. For my tastes – perfect without the sugar. But these are in my running for a bake sale this weekend and I have to think about public preference. :)

2. Samantha says:

Edit to my own reply. Um. I think I didn’t maintain ratios in the raspberries or the chocolate however. That is a bit funny now that I am re-reading this.

The chocolate I just eyeballed because I had a situation called trying to chop up whatever chocolate bar I had around.

And I think I did 2 full Tablespoons of frozen berries! No wonder the darn things didn’t set! Yes, frozen may have been an issue, but talk about tipping the liquid scale.

If you are wondering: of course I still ate them – they were doughy but not inedible!

3. Guest says:

That’s awesome; thanks for scaling it down! Now I’ll *really* have to try this recipe, haha.

6. Emilia says:

Yum, yum, yum. These look delicious and, I agree, perfect for breakfast! I’m taking an overnight flight this weekend and may make these to have instead of the yucky plane breakfast they serve. I’m sure whoever sits next to me will be jealous :)

7. michelle says:

Those look great!!!
    I used to have a cookie monster doll he went everywhere with me…he was my favorite too

8. Erin says:

These look awesome, Katie! I can’t wait to try them. And such a cute picture of you. :)

9. These would be the perfect way to start the day!!

10. Therese says:

It makes me happy to see a fellow female eating chocolate chips, and yet thin and clear skinned. Helps me to believe in fairies. I can’t do it myself, but I think I’ll try these for my kids! Thank you again and again for such a fun website, I try to share it with everyone I can. And my brother and I were fanatical cookie monster fans in the eighties. Do you remember Monsterpiece theater with Alistair Cookie? We loved it.

1. I don’t… but I’m going to google it now!

2. kate says:

Monsterpiece theater! Blast from the past lol

11. these look delicious, I love combining fruit and chocolate! And I LOVE that song!

12. I think they sound better than a tollhoue cookie! Chocolate and fruit! Mmmm!

13. katie says:

I loved sesame street. I mean, I would actually watch it now if I had PBS.

I’m going to have to try these cookies. We don’t have a Whole Foods but we have Wegman’s.

14. Love the look of these – nice and chewy! :)

15. I love Batman in the background! Where do you live, Katie? Swimming pool and sunshine, lucky you!!

1. Texas… right now, it’s the very-short “nice weather” season. All too soon it’s going to be 100+ degrees :-?.

16. Wow, these look so good. I love how you alway have our best interests in mind. You know, chocolate. This is the type of breakfast food I could really get used to.

1. That should be EVERYone’s best interest, right? 😉

1. Totally agreed…::takes sip of her breakfast chocolate milk:…

17. Sarah says:

LOVE your make-up in that last picture. It looks darker than the usual shades you use? Those colors look very elegant on you :) cashew butter is such a lovely unexpected nut butter to bake with… I love the buttery flavor it adds. Do you make your own or do you buy pre-made cashew butter?? I would imagine making your own, especially when you bake a lot, would be a liiittle bit more economical. Those nut butters add up!

1. Thank you, Sarah! I think maybe it’s just the lighting, or that I’m wearing black… I only own mascara and light blue eyeshadow. I have ridiculously sensitive eyes and am afraid of eyeliner!
      And I’ve still never tried making my own nut butter. Sad, I know. Not even peanut butter! Someday I really do need to change this.

18. I loved Sesame Street as a kid! I can still sing numbers 1-10 in Spanish because of the Count! 😉 And Cookie Monster was definitely a favorite … still is! 😉

19. Cyndi says:

Yay! I was totally waiting for this recipe, these look so good.
    I did watch sesame street as a kid, and I do now cause my daughter LOVES it! Her favorite is cookie monster too :)

20. Alanna says:

I loved Sesame Street! Did anyone else see the movie Follow That Bird? Those cookies look awesome (and CCK is gorgeous as always)! I’m not sure I’ve seen freeze-dried fruit, though… does it taste different than regular dried fruit? I often have dried cherries and cranberries around so I may have to try a variation with those. :)

1. Samantha says:

Gosh…I totally forgot about follow that bird.

Anyway, in the Seattle area of WA state there is a lot of freeze-dried fruits actually. Around here they tend to be expensive and naturally totally addictive. This used to be the main brand around me:

I would buy these containers of Just Fruit Munchies for something like $8 and trust me it never lasted long (I had to put myself on financial restriction). I think (hope) the prices have come down considerably since they first started showing up in the mainstream stores. I will know later today when I go shopping. :)

It used to be you could find bags of it in the camping sections (lighter than dried fruit in the pack and sometimes every oz truly does count).

1. Alanna says:

Thanks, Samantha!

21. These are so fun! Of course I watched sesame street! Love it!

22. these look incredible Katie! they remind me of your oatmeal raisin breakfast cookies – still have to cross those off my list. PS: i can’t tell you enough how jealous i am of your beautiful, thick hair! absolutely gorgeous. :)

23. Rosalie says:

I’m so excited to make these!! I’m going to use chocolate chips and craisins! I love your recipes so much. Just made the banana bread the other day and my family devoured it!!
    ps you are so gorgeous! :)

1. I’m so excited they liked it! I need to make banana bread again… it’s been too long!

24. Kit-Kat says:

Oh yum! So good looking! I don’t have any raspberries on hand, but I’ll toss in either some raisins or Dried orange-flavored cranberries instead! :-)

25. Michelle says:

These look VERY yummy. Def making them this week. I have a quick question, though. Could you use thawed frozen raspberries in place of the dried-fruit ones?

1. Sorry, I’m not sure… might be too juicy? Freeze-dried fruit is very dry. But you never know!

1. Allyson says:

I used frozen raspberries in mine! They were really good. I just put the raspberries in the microwave for about 15 seconds, then mashed them a bit with a fork. :)

2. Michelle says:

Thanks Allyson for using frozen berries. I have all the recipes at home, and I REALLY want to make these for my co-workers and family, so I’m glad they worked. Can’t wait to try them :)

26. Jill says:

These look great, Katie! I typically make some sort of breakfast/morning snack, so I know these will make the rounds soon enough!

27. Guest says:

I’m almost out of Sunbutter, otherwise I would try the cookies with it. I do have a new jar of Almond butter, and just picked up a perfectly beautiful bag of leopard bananas hahah! I’ll try to make these this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Oscar the Grouch was always my favorite. Big Bird (and his mammoth-whatever friends) terrified me.

28. Hahahaha, this made me giggle. I loved Sesame Street as a kid … Big Bird was my fave!

That Nat King Cole song always makes me think of Parent Trap with Lindsay Lohan – I learned all the words to that song by watching that movie over and over and over again as a kid :)

29. Oh this looks so delicious! I wonder if it would go well with butterscotch chips.?

1. Sounds good to me! I love anything butterscotch. I used to get the butterscotch magic shell at Dairy Queen when I was little… my sister thought it was disgusting, but I loved it!

30. Celeste O says:

These look so yummy. I’m making them tonight for me and the kids. My daughter was asking for cookies and I wanted to make something healthier.

I watched Sesame Street as a child and also with my kids. They will still watch it when it’s on.

31. Moni Meals says:

these look great. breakfast, snack, I love it. Maybe pre workout and post workout too!

what also is great, the lovely pic of you too.

Have a great day! :)

32. Max says:

OK, these look AMAZING. Seriously. I’m practically drooling over my keyboard right now. Sadly, I’m on a diet which doesn’t permit oats or grains…what could I sub instead? Do you think these would work maybe with coconut flour? Or coconut flour and flaxseed? I love the look of so many of your recipes but not being able to eat oats is knocking out a lot of stuff for me :( Any suggestions you have on how I could adapt your scrummy recipes would be very gratefully received!

1. Sorry, I don’t know… But if you try them with coconut or almond flour I would LOVE it if you reported back!

33. Stefanie says:

These are going on my most make list. It is the perfect snack/dessert to have around. :)

1. L. says:

They are so good! But watch out, they are dangerously addictive! 😉

34. Normally I’m opposed to the misuse of Nat King Cole lyrics… But if it has to do with cookies, I think I can make an exception.

I was never a huge sesame street kiddo myself. I preferred power rangers and mr. rogers

35. Allyson says:

Did you get your purple dress from Target? I think I’ve seen it there!

1. It’s actually from a store called Charming Charlies… But I think I’ve seen a similar one at Target too!

36. Janae says:

I hate the thought of my kids watching any TV, but if they want to watch Sesame Street, I’ll let them watch it all day long! I have such fond memories of watching when I was a kid and I think it’s such a smart, funny, and fun educational show.

37. Anonymous says:

Can you sub the stevia for agave?

1. Sorry, I’m not sure… it might be too liquidy, but maybe not! I can’t say because I haven’t tried it. But if you just want a more-natural sugar to the sugar, you could also do coconut sugar or evaporated cane juice.
      And if you try it with agave please report back! :)

38. Mariel says:

these look delicious Katie!! <3

39. I have all of these items (or the subs) in my pantry right now. I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow! Thank you!

40. L. says:

Just made ’em!
    Oh wow, Katie, you didn’t mention how dangerous these are. I popped three in my mouth, and you can bet that I’m going back for a 4th as soon as I finish typing this!

Oh, and the only change I made was to use freeze-fried strawberries instead of the raspberries which I didn’t have.

1. L. says:

Um, obviously I meant freeze-DRIED!

LOL!!!

41. These look delicious! And those Whole Foods chocolate chunks are the only ones in my cupboard haha!

42. Kat C. says:

I just make these, Katie! Fabulous little balls of awesomeness! I am trying not to eat the whole recipe at one sitting! Thanks!

1. I’m so excited you already made them! :)

43. Sara Dane says:

I love “mini” desserts! They are so much cuter and when you bring them to a party or potuck more people are willing to try them because it’s just a bite, thank you!

44. I’m always happy with a breakfast cookie! However, when I make things “mini” it just turns into a reason to eat too many of them. That’s my issue though, haha. These look delicious!

45. Rachel says:

Katie, these look great! I have to thank you with all my heart for the recipes that you have shared with us. I’ve been starting to eat sugar free, but always felt that I was depriving myself of what I love…CHOCOLATE! I’ve tried a couple of your recipes with great success and even convinced my parents to buy my finace and I the VitaMix as an early wedding gift haha. It is the BEST appliance I have ever owned.

46. Rachel says:

I want to make these right now! I don’t have any dried fruit though. Would frozen berries work or would that change the texture?

I watched Sesame Street growing up and I always liked Grover. My daughter is almost 2 and just became interested in Sesame Street. She just learned to say Cookie (as in Cookie Monster) and mommy is so proud! :) Lol! Although this might mean she will know how to get me to share my cookies!

1. Rachel says:

Just saw my question asked and answered above. Sorry. Should’ve paid more attention. :)

1. Samantha says:

So I made a really mini-batch and tried out frozen berries. I just chopped them in frozen. I would guess it was the reason they didn’t set up (didn’t stop me from eating them).

I could have cooked a bit longer probably but they were browning and I pulled them.

The taste was great and I will try them again with freeze-dried after I get to the store.

2. Rachel says:

Good to know. Thanks! :) Ugly cookies are still yummy.

47. The picture of the raw dough is just gorgeous! These look yummy. I used to make a sort-of similar applesauce breakfast cookie years ago….will have to try again!

48. Rachel says:

These look delicious! I have a question though…what could I substitute for the roasted cashew butter? Would peanut butter work (or regular butter/margarine)? I’d rather use something I have on hand, instead of buying anything new.

1. Samantha says:

My first run at this I did with peanut butter and it worked fine for me, but peanut butter rarely ruins anything. I did use frozen berries however and that was probably what messed up the set of the cookie (not the taste however :))

1. Rachel says:

Thanks! Looks like other commentators have used peanut butter too. Hope round 2 works out better for you. :)

2. Samantha says:

Oh, I know it will. :) I have the freeze-dried raspberries now…which I had to stop eating so I don’t have to buy more for tomorrow. I am excited for today’s trial.

49. These look so fantastic!! I love the idea of putting freeze-dried berries into a baked good! And those chocolate chunks look yummy too!

50. Gi says:

I SO gonna try to make them as soon as I feel like baking somehting…
    oh and just wanted so say you look gorgeous in the last photo : D
    Gi