Chocolate Earth Balls!

Environmentalism is a cause everyone should champion. Issues such as global warming, polluted air, and disappearing resources affect all of us, not just the crazy health nuts like me!

Today, I’d planned to make globe cupcakes, using this recipe.

The holiday snuck up too quickly, though, and I ran out of time. But I couldn’t miss a chance of playing with a theme, and so today’s post is a bit of a stretch… a round up of Earth-shaped recipes. (Told you it was a stretch! Just humor me, and I’ll make it up to you tomorrow—with a new breakfast recipe. Haven’t done one of those in awhile.)

chocolate ball

Cookie Dough Truffles

Healthy cookie dough truffles, with absolutely no raw eggs! If only Earth were a giant cookie dough truffle, and you could eat your way through life…

chocolate ball cookies

No-Bake Chocolate Cookies

Packed with chocolate and peanut butter, this is easily of my favorite recipes on the blog. And no bake = conserve energy. Yay!

chocolate ball chips

20-Calorie Cookie Pops

Representing Earth on a diet. We all need to go on a diet—from the amount of resources we consume. But not from chocolate-chip cookies. Those, we should eat in abundance.

chocolate bon bons

Chocolate-Banana Bites

A chocolate-covered way to fight global warming. Or: how to stay cool during the insane (and quickly approaching) Texas summers.

chocolate cookies

Funfetti Cookie-Dough Balls

Hi, I am what the earth would look like if Katie were in charge. With liberty and sprinkles for all!

chocolate ball crispy treats

5-Ingredient Rice Crispy Treats

If Rice Crispy Treats had a baby. You save resources by not buying the ones in the electric blue packages. The more packaged foods we buy, the more trash we throw out. Try to save packaging as much as you possibly can.

chocolate balls 1

Hot Chocolate Cookies

Oh look, it’s raining men chocolate!

chocolate chip cookie balls

Chocolate-Chip Cookie Dough Bites

See the chocolate chip on the left? That’s the Statue of Liberty. You can view it from space. Or, at least you could until I ate it.

chocolate not

Gingerbread Cookie Dough Balls

They kinda look like globes. If we had no water. Ugly, right? See why we need to conserve our water?

Simple ways you can help the Earth:

• Bring your own bags to the grocery store.
  • Walk, bike, carpool, or use public transportation as much as possible.
  • Turn off computers at night.
  • Recycle, and—even more importantly—reuse.
  • Switch to online bill payments.
  • Buy a reusable water bottle instead of the plastic ones.
  • Air dry clothes whenever possible
  • Take quicker showers
  • Adjust your thermostat one degree higher in the summer and one degree cooler in the winter.
  • Go vegetarian at least once a week. (It requires 2,500 gallons of water to produce one pound of beef, and factory farming generates more greenhouse gas emissions than all the cars, trucks, trains, ships, and planes combined!)

Question of the Day:

Do you ever worry about the future of our planet?

Do you make an effort to be environmentally-conscious by recycling or bringing reusable bags to the grocery store? I try to do as much on the above list as possible, and I’ve definitely gotten better in the past few years (especially about taking faster showers!). I’m good about biking or walking for errands, as well as turning off lights. Admittedly, though, there’s more I should be doing– turning my computer off every night, using the oven less (difficult, given my job), buying local… I’m really going to make an effort to try harder, because the future of this planet is important to me.

Tomorrow: a breakfast recipe! 🙂

1. oh gosh, I most definitely worry about our planet! I’m actually studying environmental law right now!

2. Myrtle says:

Oh, I can’t get some of those recipe links to work. 🙁

1. Thanks for letting me know! I don’t know why it messed up the last three links, but I fixed it.

Seriously, THANK YOU for taking the time to tell me, so I could quickly fix it :).

3. Anonymous says:

Happy Earth Day to all! We are also health and eco nuts and are very happy with our Volt! It feels great to drive in an electric car to the grocery store to buy our vegan food! We are going to the woods with our kids today. Don’t forget to enjoy the outdoors today!

1. Sarahishealthy says:

It’s raining here :(.
      But I guess I should go for a walk in the rain and thank the earth for watering the flowers! 🙂

4. Mimi Barber says:

Found your blog by accident and just love your recipes!! When you show the nutritional values of a recipes, could you please include carbohydrates. Also, I’m thrilled to see that some of your more recent recipes show Weight Watchers points. Will you be able to do that with all your future recipes?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

1. Hi Mimi,
      Yes, all of my future recipes that include nutrition facts WILL include carbs and ww points :).

5. Susan says:

Aww, the link for the gingerbread cookie dough balls is not there! I am on a search now!

1. Susan:
      The link works for me… What error message are you getting?
      Sorry for the trouble!

6. Kim Grabowski says:

The older and more educated I get, the more and more I’m conscious of the impact I’m having on our environment. I’ve always been interested in health and nutrition, but I used to be a huge carnivore! I have to say, though, it wasn’t the health benefits that lead me to give up red meat (and pretty much all meat, for the most part), though they are great. I took a nutrition class and learned that we use so much land to produce food for livestock that we are running out of land to produce food for starving people! That was the MAJOR kicker for me…now I feel healthier and I feel like I’m doing the planet some good every time I order hummus or a black bean burger instead of meat!

7. Sarah says:

I think Earth Day should be every day! A great excuse to make earth-shaped treats 😉

8. Luu says:

I love your recipes! So great! I only never get fudge to get a good consistence.
    Great blog and great post. I’m also vegan and I think it’s ridiculous to say mankind need to eat meat and exploit animals.
    Great job!

9. Samantha says:

Good morning. I will actually attempt to hold off on breakfast for tomorrow in anticipation of the post.

Love this recipe round-up! (I always enjoy these to see recipes I have missed). How did I miss the gingerbread balls in the past? That looks heavenly.

I do worry about the planet. I also see some hope and I appreciate the people that do what they can to honor and care for it. There is always something I could do better, but at least I am aware of most of my actions (even the not earth-friendly ones).

10. Leslie says:

I love your theme posts :).
    The commentary expecially never fails to crack me up. Like today? Those globes? TOO FUNNY! 🙂

11. L. says:

It very much upsets me when people think “environmentalists” are quacks or the “crunchy granola” type. Even the mosts selfish, uncaring person in the world should be an environmentalist because it affects ALL of us. Great post!

12. Sarahishealthy says:

I love love love your round up posts! Reminds me of all the CCK recipes I still need to make! 🙂 🙂

13. So many yummy round treats here. I’m hungry!

14. You’re hilarious! I love that the world would look like a funfetti dough ball with you in charge – how do we go about electing you??

I worry about our planet a LOT but I think our overall consciousness is improving, even as our consumerism is. Eventually I hope one cancels the other out, and if enough people get their acts together, we can actually creep ahead with our eco-conscious and start repairing some of the damage already done, but it is a long way off…

1. Emma says:

I’ll vote for anyone who vows to increase the world’s stores of chocolate ;).

15. It does take a lot of energy to produce meat! Not to mention that the process of raising the animals is disgusting (if you watch Food Inc). There should be a mandatory no meat day for everyone 😛 One more thing to add to your list, use energy saving lightbulbs

1. Vanessa says:

I’m probably one of the very few NON-Vegan/peta activists that read here. I enjoy the amazing recipes, just not so much the politics.
      We raise our own livestock here, (including dairy cattle and honey bees) and everything is very well cared for. I don’t happen to find the process of raising the animals (the way we do it) disgusting at all-it is beautiful and natural. It also does NOT take a lot of energy to produce the meat we do here-unless you are talking HUMAN energy-and that, yes it does!
      I love how other people want to impose their values on people though-mandatory no meat day indeed! I wonder how much energy it took to produce the computer you are typing on? And where it was produced, by who?

16. Emma says:

How did I miss those Banana Bon Bons when you first posted them?!?

17. Allison says:

Hi Katie! Love you blog. I finally made your Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Fudge Babies. I only changed the recipe a bit. My addition was a 1/4 cup of oats. I forgot to put in the vanilla…oops! They stll tasted great though. I got 8 little dough balls out of the recipe. I just bough some flax seed meal, and I’m planning to add some of that next time. Hopefully I will remember the vanilla next time too.

Thanks for all the great healthy recipes! I am getting ready to run my first 5K in a couple weeks (the day before my graduation from college!!!) and I have been enjoying fueling my body with healthy foods and snacks. I have found a love for running in the past year and am trying to put on more muscle by adding in strength training. I want to run a 10K by the end of the summer.

1. Good luck with your race! 🙂 🙂

18. Robyn says:

Yes! I worry about it all the time. And it’s upsetting that there are some very simple ways we could be saving it that we are not taking advantage of. (<–Ack! Ended with a preposition. Don't have time to fix it now. Forgive me). My 7-year old son spent last Sunday morning trying to figure out how to stop deforestation. Oh, how I love that kid! 🙂

Hemp grows like a weed (pardon the pun) and can be used for everything from food to clothing, paper, rope, etc. But farmers aren't allowed to grow it in the U.S. because it too closely resembles it's hooligan cousin. There's gotta be a way around that! We could stop chopping down trees, use less water, etc. if we took advantage of all that hemp has to offer. *sigh* [stepping down off of my soapbox now]

Your post, as always, is loaded with deliciousness. Thanks for that!

1. SO funny you’d mention the preposition thing today. Just this morning, I was thinking about that when I first wrote: “Environmentalism is something we should all be concerned about” and it bugged me… but saying “about which we should all be concerned” sounded way too fancy for a food blog. Glad to know there’s another grammar nerd out there :).

1. Leslie says:

Grammar nerd here too!

2. Steph says:

Oh gosh, I love grammar nerds! It bugs me when people use “someone and I” as an object The worst is when they say “We had dinner with Jeremy and I’s parents.” Cringe! >.<

1. We just had a hail storm, and now there are lawn signs all over that say, “Trust the roof pro’s.” Trust the roof pro’s what?? How are people not embarrassed to put these signs on their lawns? 😕

3. Robyn says:

Total grammar nerd! The preposition thing is become more and more acceptable–which bothers me a bit, because I don’t like that we’re getting lazy about our language. But I agree–it sounds way to fancy the other way. Dilemma!

19. Katie, once again you are making me want chocolate. Each of these recipes looks scrumptious.

20. Katie you are the best!! I need to move in with you haha. I make alk of your recipes and you never dissapoint!!