Vegan Healthy Corn Casserole

Vegan Healthy Corn Casserole – just as delicious as traditional corn casserole, but without the cream, lard, and day’s-worth of saturated fat!

Vegan Corn Casserole - We make this recipe every year for the holidays... it is just as delicious as traditional corn casserole, and no one can ever guess it isn't full of butter and fat! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/22/healthy-corn-casserole/ @choccoveredkt

Many years ago, at a 4th of July barbecue, a neighbor brought a dish called “Aunt Linda’s Corn Casserole,” and everyone went crazy for it. As it turned out, there was a reason we loved the recipe so much: How can a recipe not taste good when it basically consists of eggs, sugar, corn muffin mix, and a whole lot of butter? The challenge is making a recipe taste good without these ingredients!

A few weeks ago, while going through old papers, I came across a scribbled sheet with “Aunt Linda’s Corn Casserole” and decided it had been much too long since I’d eaten that deliciously deconstructed cornbread mess.

To make the homemade vegan corn casserole recipe healthier, I pretty much changed every single ingredient until it looked nothing like the original… but incredibly, this healthy corn casserole tastes just as good!

Healthy Corn Casserole - We make this recipe every year for the holidays... it is just as delicious as traditional corn casserole, and no one can ever guess it isn't full of butter and fat! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/06/22/healthy-corn-casserole/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Vegan Healthy Corn Casserole

(gluten-free!)

• 1/2 cup fine cornmeal (85g) (whole-grain or regular)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable broth
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • Sweetener of choice – Amount will depend on your tastes, as well as the types of milk and yogurt you’re using. Use your favorite sweetener: maple syrup, stevia, agave, sugar, etc.
  • 2 1/2 cups fresh, frozen, or canned corn (drained if canned) (300g)
  • 2/3 cup silken-firm tofu (Mori-Nu brand) (160g) or yogurt of choice (such as Wholesoy)
  • optional: 2 tbsp coconut oil or Earth Balance, for a buttery flavor

In a medium pot, combine first 4 ingredients (and corn, if using raw) and heat on low-medium. Whisk periodically to prevent lumps. When desired thickness is reached, add all other ingredients and stir to combine, then take off the heat immediately. (If using Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu, blend it with 3 tbsp water before adding to the other ingredients.) I didn’t bake, since this is a summer casserole. But if you don’t happen to live in an area with scorching summers, feel free to experiment with baking the dish.

View Vegan Corn Casserole Nutrition Facts

corn casserole

Did you know that corn isn’t really a vegetable?

Technically, it’s a grain. But we eat corn like a vegetable, and it has ten times more Vitamin A than other grains, so we call it a vegetable. The USDA still considers sweet corn (not cornmeal) to count towards your 5-a-day fruits and veggie servings.

Link Of The Day:

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie - no sugar / no flour / vegan / gf - People rave about the recipe. Everyone loves this pie! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/31/chocolate-chip-cookie-pie-without-sugar/ @choccoveredkt

Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie… Without Sugar!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. I didn’t know it wasn’t a vegetable, but that makes sense!

2. Funny how we Americans call potatoes & corn vegetables when, as you point out are really starches, or in corns case, a starch that is also a grain. I a big fan of both (although I’d like my corn to be non-GMO, please!).

I love that adapted the recipe to the point that it, “looked nothing like the original,” lol. I do that ALL the time with recipes when I’m veganizing & taking out the gluten & oils. But the “spirit” of the dish is there :). Looks delish, Katie.

3. Meki says:

This reminds me of our afternoon snack here in Philippines. It’s sticky rice with corn – it’s sweet and so delicious!

4. Karen says:

This sounds great! Can yogurt typically be subbed for tofu? I wasn’t aware of that one.

1. I can only vouch for it in this particular recipe because I tried it both ways… knowing people would ask for a sub ;).

1. Doesn’t the yogurt make it kind of…tart?

1. I guess it depends on the brand. Definitely make sure you like the taste of the particular yogurt first, if using that option. My first choice would be the tofu, but I used Wholesoy for the yogurt option and didn’t taste any tartness.

1. I think all opt for the tofu too. 🙂 Thanks!

5. I am SO excited to try this recipe! I absolutely love your healthy desserts, but also love when you post healthy main/side dishes. Thank you, thank you for making this healthy (and easily GF)!

And, yes, I do know corn is not a vegetable. My mom preached that it’s a starch to us when we were growing up. I was disappointed, as it is kids’ favorite veg.

6. Elisa says:

I wonder – would chickpeas work instead of the tofu? That sounds like heaven to me! 🙂

1. Hmmm that’s an interesting thought! If you try it let me know!

1. Gale says:

I have substituted successfully scrambled tofu with scrambled chickpeas: mixed equal quantity of chickpeas flour and water, fried. I would try that for this recipe. Thanks for the recipe, Katie. I love quick, easy and delicious recipes:)

7. Saraquill says:

You know what would be great to try for this recipe? Perhaps using corn broth to really run with the theme. The recipe can be found in the “Vegan Soul Kitchen” cookbook and is essentially making a yellow tea from corn cobs. It has a mildly savory flavor and smells like fish soup.

That’s what I’ll try when I get around to making this.

8. I LOVE Corn Casserole but can never make it because of the high calorie count – this is perfect!

9. Moe Purple says:

Uh yum! I’m definantly trying this.

10. Corn casserole is by far my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner at my grandma’s house. I think I might try adding chopped red peppers and celery and then topping it with a little cheese and then baking it to make it more like my grandma’s. Thanks for the great idea of using tofu! Maybe I can sneakily sub this for my grandma’s not so healthy version this year. 😛 What they don’t know won’t hurt them right?

11. Sarah says:

We make an amazing cornbread casserole at Thanksgiving but it’s so so so so unhealthy. I’ve always been interested in finding one that tastes as good but better for you! 🙂 Thanks Katie!

12. Elizabeth says:

Hi there,

Perhaps I’m missing something, but I see no where in the instructions to actually heat the first bit of ingredients- just to combine them in a medium pot. Is this correct?

Thanks 🙂

1. Yikes, you’re right! Thanks for letting me know. I edited my post :).

13. Destinie says:

YUMM!!! Must try… and great idea. 🙂

14. that sounds so delicious! i love fresh sweet corn at this time of year! thanks for sharing!

15. Kara says:

I had no idea!! Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious!

16. yummy! I literally love corn everything, so this makes me happy 🙂

17. Peggy says:

Can you tell me the difference in the shelf tofu and the fresh? I thought I could just use the type-silken, firm, ect.

1. Liz says:

Mori Nu is shelf-stable and you can find it not in the refrigerator section. Also I think it has no weird tofu aftertaste.

18. 91% Chocolate Lover says:

I’ve never heard of this, but I love cornbread. Just curious, how much sweetener did you use?

19. ~Nilu~ says:

I’ve heard of corn casserole but did not try one. I don’t know if its supposed to taste sweet or tangy.. Could you please tell us what sweetener did you use and how much? Thanks!

20. This looks delicious as usual Katie!
    Thanks for sharing x