Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

My date… at a gas station?

oatmeal square

But first, breakfast:

I spread peanut butter on one of these: Banana Oatmeal Squares.

(Plus a simple veggie scramble, unpictured.) I played around with the ingredients and proportions of the boatmeal, devising a new version of the recipe that yields 10 servings instead of just one. Or you can freeze the leftovers and have one ready as needed. (I’m not sure yet whether the cookbook will include a chapter on breakfast. Right now I’m leaning towards desserts only, and if that ends up being the case I’ll definitely post the larger-serving recipe online.)

In the afternoon, the boy and I went out to White Rock Lake and rented a kayak. I’m terrible at kayaking; you don’t want to be stuck in a boat with me, as I will be no help in making it move. Still, I had fun, which is all that matters, right? And afterwards, we hit up The Green Spot:

vegan soft serve

A healthy gas station??

Imagine a gas station convenience store where the Twinkies and candy have been replaced with Larabars, organic produce, and kale chips. Oh, and vegan soft-serve.

In Texas.

In a gas station.

vegan soft serve

(P.S. Note my 4th of July nails :))

the green spot

green gas station

The Green Spot is the first of its kind: a healthy convenience store and gas station with regular unleaded gas, diesel gas blended with biodiesel and B100 biodiesel.

Their soft serve was seriously delicious. The chocolate tasted rich and creamy, and the vanilla was so surprisingly flavorful I think I might’ve liked it even more than the chocolate!

I got a swirl of both vegan flavors (the aforementioned chocolate and vanilla). The boy had chocolate-raspberry (non-vegan) soft serve, but he was at least brave enough to take a taste of mine. (It feels weird to keep referring to him as “the boy.” I’ll just call him “S” from now on.)

Question of the Day:

When was the last time you had soft-serve frozen yogurt?

Until yesterday, it had been years since my last soft-serve cone. Sadly, vegan soft serve is very hard to come by. Now that I know The Green Spot exists, I will definitely be going back!

Link of the Day:

brownie batter frozen yogurt

Brownie Batter Frozen Yogurt

Tags: ,

1. It’s great when you find vegan treats in unusual places! There is only one place near me where we can find vegan soft serve and that’s Menchies, but their vegan sorbet is just flavoured sugar water. Wonder what is in the Green Spot’s soft serve?

It’s encouraging to see places like gas stations embrace healthier eating!

1. The guy said it’s soy-based, but he’s also working on a coconut-based one!

1. We have a great place nearby that does coconut-based soft serve. It’s awesome!

2. whaaat? we need to get those up in dallas! speaking of, we need to get YOU up to dallas!

3. I’ve never been to a gas station like that! I tried Lula’s softserve in New York though, and it was absolutely amazing!

4. That is such a great idea, I hope it catches on!

5. How awesome! This is great news for travellers…when my boy and I road trip, it’s always so hard to find something reasonable to snack on when we fuel up. I sure hope more of these pop up across the country.

6. Jen E says:

Oh I miss white rock lake it’s so nice there. You make me miss texas so much I can’t wait to move back there. Where is the gas station at? I’ve never seen soft serve vegan anything. The last time I had soft serve was probably well over 10 years now.

7. Inlove with chocolate and bananas says:

Your 4th of July nails are really cute. It’s so great you found vegan treats in an unusual place. There’s ABSOLUTELY NO PLACE NEAR ME that makes vegan soft serves (or ice cream, or candy, or cakes.. nothing) I don’t live in the U.S and also there’s the fact that I live in very small town and there’s not much here.. 🙁 It doesn’t make being vegan easy! That’s why I love your recipes so much.. because if it wasn’t for them I would have been left without any ice cream or desserts(AND NOBODY WOULD WANT TO BE AROUND ME IF I DIDN’T GET MY ICE CREAM)
    The last time I had a soft serve was … about a week ago..when I made frozen banana soft serve ( I add chocolate almond butter) .. It’s amazing!
    I’m just getting ready to make your brownie batter frozen yogurt (I saw the link of the day and decided it wouldn’t be a good day unless I made some fro -yo).

1. Sarah L says:

It’s SO HARD to find vegan food in a small town, but even in the big towns it’s almost impossible to get anything vegan. 🙁 No ice-cream, no fast food (‘cept for some fries), no candy. It kinda forces me to be healthy though.
      Was it by chance this soft serve? 😀

1. Inlove with chocolate and bananas says:

Yes, that’s the one.. but I’ve been making it for sometime now.. with chocolate chips, peanut butter and other stuff like that… I tried it with chocolate almond butter.. and it was AMAZING. Usually I just put some cocoa powder in with the bananas, but it’s much better this way(with almond butter). First I saw the cocoa powder version on and I started to experiment – putting strawberries with the bananas (Yummy), chocolate, peanut butter, chocolate hazelnut butter and other stuff like that.. I guess I was thinking about that video when I commented.. LOL. And you’re right it probably would have been harder to stay healthy if there were places with vegan fast food, ice cream and candy .. 😀

8. That gas station sounds great – hopefully more will start popping up and they will come to the UK too.

We have a great frozen yogurt place near use that does all kinds of vegan flavours.

9. Jule says:

I want a green spot! Next time you go, tell them to open one in san antonio. Please!

10. Tanya says:

It’s been YEARS that I’ve had soft serve… but I now that there is a vegan restaurant here in Germany that has vegan soft serve! Too far from here though…

For when is your cookbook scheduled? Any plans on when it might be published? Please let me know!!!

Oh, btw, I am creating a RAW version of the frozen hot chocolate at the moment.

1. No concrete plans yet… I just started writing it, so probably a year from now. I’ll keep you updated :).

Your fro-co version sounds delicious!

1. Tanya says:

Thanks! I’m excited, can’t wait to get your book! =)
        I guess by now I created so many recipes, I should actually start a foodblog myself… plus we always make beautiful photography! I’m just not that much into creating a website…

11. I had some yesterday! And um, that gas station needs to expand to all states, IMMEDIATELY! I had to do a roadtrip last week and I was thrilling to find fruits and veggies at one place! Haha that looks way better!

12. Sami says:

There is a Portugese deli in Gloucester, Massachusetts that serves frozen tofu yogurt in dozens of flavors. It tastes just like fro-yo, and I had mine in Peanut Butter. This looks equally delish though!!! Cute patriotic nails, btw!!

13. You should do a chapter on desserts so healthy you could eat them for breakfast! That’s what I do. 🙂

14. Aww that sounded like a fun day 😀 Yeah… I suck at kayaking too but as you’ve said it’s all about the fun. I love your nails btw!

15. Anonymous says:

The frozen yogurt place near me just added a dairy free flavor called Mango Tango. I haven’t tried it yet.

16. Kimberly says:

That’s my kind of gas station! Right now I’m wishing for vegetarian fast food. In Germany. It exists, but only in big cities.

17. nikki says:

wow! how awesome! and… in dallas?! so great to see all of the healthy (healthier) choices there. too bad, though, that they’re selling beef burgers and everything else there still, though. 😛 still, great to see… especially in texas of all places.

18. Anonymous says:

Where in Texas?

1. Helen says:

19. Nicky says:

Oh. My. Goodness. I need to hop in my truck and go to Texas right now. I must see this place!!!

20. Sandy Gillett says:

I just googled this and learned you’re in Dallas!!! OMG! Please, please, please Green Spot people, open one in Midland. (Next time I’m in Dallas I will make a special trip to Green Spot!) I love your blog Katie – you’re on your way to the top – congratulations on the cookbook – put me down for three at least!