Healthy Eating: New York City

Guess where I am…

katie in nyc

If you said Hawaii, you’d be…

Wrong Winking smile.

I’m in New York for the week. My friend Jessica and her boyfriend rent a tiny NYC apartment, and they’re being gracious enough to let me crash on their couch (and commandeer the fridge). It’s pretty crowded and is going to get even more crowded later in the week when S flies in for a few days, but we’ve had a lot of fun so far!

After lounging around all morning, Jess and I headed down to Greenwich Village and grabbed lunch at a place called Quantum Leap. My food:

vegan orange chicken

Normally, I’m not a fan of mock meat (at all!). But every now and then it appeals to me, which happened today. This particular dish is known as the Zen Platter, and it features a deliciously-spiced orange seitan (with hints of Chinese 5-spice powder).

Jessica ordered a grilled portabella burger:

quantum leap burger

And then we split a coconut peanut butter pie for dessert:

quantum leap

It wasn’t the best dessert I’ve ever had, but it was coconut and peanut butter… so of course we ate it anyway!

Questions of the Day:

Have you ever been to NYC?
What are your favorite things to do there?

Any suggestions, send them my way!

Link of the Day:

vanilla breakfast shake

Vanilla Breakfast Shakes

Tags:

1. Samantha says:

I have never been to New York but would absolutely love to some day! This will be fun to see some of your adventures while you are there. Have a great time.

2. Omg I am SO jealous! My bf and I were just NYC this past March and I fell in love! Can’t wait to go back! My favorite restaurant there was Candle Cafe by far!

3. Candice says:

I just graduated from college in NYC and miss it every day! If you’ve never been, you should try Peacefood Cafe on 82nd and Amsterdam.. it’s my favorite vegan restaurant in the city! They have the best selection of desserts nom…

1. Candice – I went to college in NYC too! I graduated from NYU about 7 years ago. Where did you go??

My all-time favorite thing to do there was LONG walks – I used to walk home from a babysitting job I had, from 96th street at the Park to 10th and Avenue C – It was like 100 blocks! Great way to get exercise AND see so many sights in NYC. Not to mention window shopping all the way down 5th Avenue!

xoxo
      Cheri

1. Candice says:

Cheri,
        I went to Columbia! And I completely agree with the walk – you get to see so many sights and you don’t feel like you’re rushing to see different attractions. I definitely recommend it!

4. Melissa says:

I’m from Upstate NY and my hubbys is from downstate…about 45 minutes North of the City so we’ve been there a few times…him much more so than me…(I am not a fan of big cities so I tend to shy away from it, lol). We’ve done the typical Central Park, Times Square, Chinatown, Bronx Zoo, Botanical Gardens, Greenwich Village trips. We went to Lantern Thai Restaurant a couple weeks ago with his parents and sister before seeing a Magic Show (on 48th I think…TimeScare it was called) which was pretty cool. Tavern on the Green is a nice place to eat as well as The View (it rotates 360 degrees and the views of the city are pretty cool). Enjoy your trip! 🙂

5. Aly says:

While I am not a raw vegan, I love the food at Quintessence in the East Village. I live about 10 blocks from it- cute, really small restaurant- great for a quiet dinner with a friend or a small group.

6. Jessica says:

I live right outside of NY and love giving input on these sort of things…
    One of my friends LOVES Candle Cafe (I thought maybe it was called Candle 79 but could be wrong).
    I’m a newer blog reader so not sure if you are vegan…if so, unfortunately I’m not much help.
    Regardless, try to hit up the Green Market in Union Square…I think it’s Mon/Wed/Fri and Saturday. Go early.
    Hit up the High Line just to walk around too!

1. sarah says:

I was also going to recommend the market at Union Square. You can’t go wrong–a market, Whole Foods and great shopping all around there. Do not miss Soft Serve Fruit right around the corner from the market!

2. Amy says:

There’s candle cafe and candle 79, which is more formal/upscale. Both are awesome, just deepens on what you’re in the mood for.

7. Hayley says:

If you make your way out to Brooklyn one day (my hood!), be sure to check out Maimonide of Brooklyn. Great vegan restaurant. I’m not even vegetarian but I love it!

8. Mallory says:

Hey! If you are still in NY, Gobo is a great restaurant! I love to wander around in the city, esp. Greenwich Village. You can go to dance classes at professional companies! for like $15! Also, there is a vegan icecream shop but I forget the name.

9. Erica says:

I’ve been following for a while, and your recipes are always a hit, thank you! As a veg New Yorker, I can say (totally biased) this is one of the places to be! Quantum Leap is my absolute favorite, and you must also check out Blossom, Dirt Candy and Soy and Sake, among many others! For a vegan treat, go to Soft Serve Fruit in Union Sq, and hopefully they’ll have chocolate this week. Enjoy! And next time, you should organize a chocolate-covered meet up, I’m sure many would love to come out and get a delicious treat :).

1. Candice says:

I love Blossom! I saw Anne Hathaway eating there once after her premier of One Day!

10. Isabella Defesche says:

There is a vegan chinese place (a healthy one!) called Wild Ginger in New York. I dream of this place. Sadly, I’m not kidding. I live in Texas myself and I swear on all that is good and delicious I will return to Wild Ginger one day.. I HIGHLY recommend you trying it out. I got their steamed dumplings as an entree 4 times in the 3 days I was there (and frequently in my dreams).

It might be sad how much mad I am about this place.

1. Ah… I’ve been there! And I loved it, even though normally, I am not a big fan of Chinese food!

11. Nikki says:

The Seitan Satay at Quantum Leap is sooo good–try that next time!
    Also, Caravan of Dreams (405 East 6th Street) is _the best_! It’s all vegan, with lots of raw and live options, a yummy juice/smoothie menu, and delicious desserts! (And it’s perfect for a romantic dinner date!)

12. Danie says:

I lived in NYC before moving to Singapore! There are tons of vegan friendly restaurants! Blossom in Chelsea is one of my favs, though the one in Chelsea is more of a fine dining vegan. Also, as Candice recommended Peace Food on the Upper West is Amazing! If you head up to that part of town check out Alice’s Tea Cup it’s a fantastic tea house that always makes a great vegan scone and has a huge variety of tea. There are other branches throughout the city but my fav one is on 73rd and Columbus, the staff are super nice and accommodating. They also have vegan options on their menu. Summer in the city can be amazing there are tons of free events around like roof top movies, concerts in the park, shakespeare in the park, etc. I could go on and on. Have a blast and stay hydrated it gets brutal. 🙂

13. Carly H says:

Katie – you have to try Caravan of Dreams (restaurant in the East Village)!

14. Hailey says:

Spring street natural on spring street and lafayette is an amazing restaurant! they are vegan and gluten free friendly. I highly recommend trying it 🙂

15. Danie says:

Oh one last rec, though expensive, is Dirt Candy, this place is AMAZING I can’t believe I forgot to mention this place! I can not put into words how wonderful the food is here! It’s a vegetarian restaurant but they will make anything on the whole menu vegan. If you go be sure to make a reservation a day or two in advance. It is pricey but well worth the splurge for a night on the town 😉 http://www.dirtcandynyc.com/

16. Michelle says:

When we went back to visit hubbys family…I visited a friend I met when we we’re both pregnant online and our kids we’re 12in at the time..so finally got to meet them….we did a 3 hour boat tour. Also visited world trade center…..times square and id avoid empire state bdlg too crowded

17. Ashley says:

Oh I am highly jealous right now! NYC is on my bucket list of places to go! and that coconut pb pie looks amazing…it inspired the coconut chocolate pb oatmeal i had for breakfast! x)

18. Cathy says:

I am in new York right now! I am visiting my grandparents in Westchester, which is right outside the city. We went to the yankee’s game last night and we might see a musical.
    If I run into you could I have an autograph?? 😉

19. I <3 NYC!! I've been there twice now and my goal is to go back around Christmas time 🙂