The Best Ice Cream Ever

I’m moving!

From now on, my address will be: 516 East 6th Street, New York.

Oh wait. That just so happens to also be the address of Lula’s Sweet Apothecary and its cashew-based ice cream flavors such as caramel swirl, peanut butter chocolate chip, butterscotch, soft-serve cake batter… Coincidence?

lulas ice cream

Above: Mocha Chip and Cream Soda ice cream.

Did I mention that eating at Lula’s got my boyfriend to grudgingly admit vegan ice cream can be awesome? We’ve now been to Lula’s umm… three times in a week. I think know I’m in love.

Lula’s has the uncanny ability to churn out ice creams that exactly mimic the flavor of their inspired foods. The cookies-n-cream tastes like eating Oreos, the cream soda is so authentic it should come with a straw, and if you close your eyes while consuming the pb&j ice cream you will swear that you’re biting into a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

On the first trip, I ordered their famous cake batter soft serve:

lulas sweet apothecary

It tasted exactly like cake batter.

And it made me embarrassed for posting my Cake Batter Milkshake.

My shake recipe tastes like a delicious vanilla-y shake… But Lula’s soft serve? It tastes like you are literally eating raw cake batter in the form of ice cream. In fact, it was a little too weird for me; the cake batter flavor was too spot-on! Since I didn’t want to settle for something I didn’t completely love (on what I thought would be my only trip to Lula’s), I went back in and ordered the chocolate soft serve:

lulas soft serve

Hands down the best thing I’d eaten on the entire vacation.

(As mentioned earlier, we went back twice more after that first trip to Lula’s, and I ordered their non-soft-serve chocolate ice cream and oatmeal-raisin cookie. Please, Lula’s, please come to Texas!!)

Later…

For dinner, we met up with Jessica and her boyfriend at Souen, one of my favorite restaurants in NYC. Souen is macrobiotic, but not completely vegetarian, and the boys both ordered sushi.

I usually order the Kuzu Stew, but Jessica kept raving about a particular dish with the unassuming name of “Squash Tofu.” I never would’ve thought to try it had she not gone on and on (and on) about how good it was.

The dish (which we both ordered sans tofu) boasts a plethora of vegetables—broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onion, kale, carrot, and kabocha squash—enveloped in the most delicious creamy tahini sauce you could ever imagine. Think: the taste and texture of peanut sauce, but with tahini instead of peanut butter. It was thick and rich and the perfect balance of salty and sweet.

souen

(Above, Jess and her dinner, which also came with a side of brown rice.)

Question of the Day:

What restaurant or bakery would you like to live at?

If anyone needs me, I’ll be in the Lula’s freezer, eating my way through their chocolate ice cream. Note to the staff at Lula’s: stock up.

Link of the Day:

cake batter doughnuts

Cake Batter Doughnuts

Tags:

1. That ‘ice cream’ looks amazing! Just another reason I want to visit NYC soon! Thanks for the great tip 🙂

Check out my latest recipe, review and giveaway

2. Allison says:

I’ll be there tomorrow in the 2:00 neighorhood! Would love to bump into the famous Chocolate Covered Katie 🙂

1. Ooh don’t go at 2. They actually don’t open til 3pm. Also, they’re not open on Mondays. But a few days ago, we couldn’t wait and so we went to Sustainable NYC, which is really close and also sells Lulas (just not the soft serve flavors).

3. Rachel says:

Mmmmmm cake batter soft serve sounds amazing!

4. Cake batter?! What?! YUM!

5. Oh I don’t think my waist line could survive me living in a bakery!

Or within a 10 mile radius of one 🙂

6. The ice cream looks amazing!! But I have to ask…why no tofu with your squash tofu?

1. I don’t have a problem with soy, but I try not to go overboard because too much of a good thing is never a good idea. I’m such a fan of things like my chocolate pie (with tofu) or ranch dressing (also with tofu) or products that contain soy that if it’s easy to leave it out of something and not miss it, I usually will do so. (Then I don’t have to worry about eating it when I really do want it.)

7. Sharky says:

It’s going to be a tight fit, because I’m moving into Lula’s, too! When I ate there, after the first lick of my cake-batter ice cream I said, “This is the best-tasting thing I’ve ever had in my mouth.”

I discovered your blog over the weekend and immediately made the Fudge Babies. Boyfriend and I have been taking them in our work lunches this week and we love them! Can’t wait to try more of your awesome recipes.

1. Yay! Company! Now I won’t get lonely ;).
      (You can eat all the cake batter, as long as I get the chocolate. Sound good?)

1. Sharky says:

Sure thing!

8. Hannah S says:

I had a quick question. I’m a newly turned vegan living in NYC and have Ben having trouble finding good places to eat. Where do you find all these places? Word of mouth or certain websites?

1. I guess it’s a combination. I’ve been vegan so long that I’ve heard about a lot of them over the years. But if you read the comments on this post, a lot of people left great ideas! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/07/18/healthy-eating-new-york-city/

Also, there’s Supervegan.com and happycow.net

2. megan says:

Yeah, supervegan is the most up to date, though some restaurants fall through the cracks. It is so wonderful to live in a city where you can walk down the street and see a clapboard that says ‘vegan’ even though it isn’t a vegan or specialty restaurant. If you want something specific, like vegan pizza, in addition to supervegan you might want to search yelp, and NYT and New York Magazine often do little articles on this kind of thing. I still haven’t tried Paulie Gee’s, but I digress… And you might note that Vegan Drinks, a vegan meet up, is tomorrow night with food from http://lovebugkitchen.com/ if you are (over 21 and) looking to meet some new people. The organizers who put it together every month are absolutely awesome.

1. Lina says:

There are so many amazing Vegan restauants in NYC! Check out Blossom, Candle 79 or Candle Cafe, Spring Street Natural, Rawlicious (Raw/Vegan), Sacred Chow… just to name a few classics. There are also so many great vegan shops and juice places!

9. Jamie says:

Well, since I’ve sadly never eaten at any of the amazing vegan/vegan friendly restaurants in New York, I’m going to have to go with Mother’s Cafe in Austin. I could eat that place out of house and veggie burgers way too easily! The best I’ve had so far in my LIFE.

10. Mary says:

Lula’s is the best! I went twice on my 3 day trip to new york and would have gone a third lol! Get the brownie sundae next time!

11. These sound amazing 🙂

12. Tricia says:

mmm… now I’m craving cake batter haha 🙂

13. Is their whole menu vegan? How have I not heard about this place? It sounds like my lactose intolerant self’s heaven!!!

14. Terry says:

If I could live at a bakery, hands-down it would be Vegan Treats in Pennsylvania (too bad I live in Virginia).

15. Megan says:

Oatmeal-raisin cookie…that sounds heavenly. I could live at this vegetarian-vegan restaurant in my town. I’m not a vegetarian or a vegan, but I love vegetables and healthy foods. This place has the best salad dishes and smoothies and rice dishes. You leave that place and you’re just like, “My stomach is thanking me.”

16. Sami says:

I am 100% obsessed with CherryBerry yogurt bar! I seriously think it is the best thing known to man, and while their yogurts are made with (fresh from the farm, kosher-certified) milk, their sorbets are a GREAT dairy-free option. Plus, I get to pick whatever toppings I want to add, whether I’m in a chocolately mood (they even have dark or carob chips if you’re super careful), or, as I am most of the time, in a fruit mood! (My fave is their Tropical Sorbet and Pink Lemonade Sorbet topped with coconut, granola, black-, rasp-, straw-, and blueberries! Maybe Kiwi and Pineapple if I’m really going all out!

My hubs, on the other hand, always goes for whatever indulgent chocolatey yogurts (normally swirling at least 3 together, like Cookie Monster, Chocoholic, Sea Salt Caramel Pretzel, etc) then tops it with brownies, cookie dough bites, magic shell, whipped cream, and anything else that catches his eye! haha

17. Wow! I want a Lulu’s in Texas too!

1. I really think they need to start selling pints of their ice cream.

1. megan says:

They do! I know the Park Slope Food Coop sells them, though you have to be a member (http://foodcoop.com/files_lwg/lwg_2011_06_02_vFF_n11.pdf). I’m not sure of anywhere else for certain, but maybe the 4th Street Coop?

1. Haha well then maybe there’s hope they’ll someday sell in Texas ;).

18. Katie, I am moving in with you! ; )

19. Lauren says:

I honestly think I’d live at Whole Foods. I used to work there, and it was the best job I’ve ever had because I dealt directly with groceries. All day I’d imagine what recipes I could make, and on my dinner break, I’d be able to partake of the delicious salad bar!….and I got a discount, which you definitely need there!

20. Jen says:

Have you gone to any restaurants you would recommend that aren’t Vegan? I know you’ve been going to a lot of Vegan ones but has your bf maybe gone to some he liked? I don’t honestly think my boyfriend would be so cool with eating vegan in a city with such amazing food, but you found yourself a good one!!

1. Yes! I actually have more posts to write about that… I’m trying to space out my NYC posts (so I can keep posting recipes). I might not be done with them all for a month or so. But we’ve been to some non-vegan places including: John’s on 12th (they have a separate vegan menu), Fiddlesticks pub (I brought in a meal, and they were very gracious about letting me eat it there), Naked Pizza, Cafe Viva, etc.

1. Jen says:

Naked Pizza? Sounds Yummy!!!!