Chocolate “Protein” Milkshake

It’s the chocolate protein shake that tastes like a chocolate milkshake…

Healthy chocolate protein shake recipe with NO protein powder. It tastes like a chocolate milkshake! Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/12/chocolate-protein-milkshake/

And because there’s actually no protein powder in the recipe, you don’t get that chalky aftertaste present in most chocolate protein shakes.

You just feel like you’re drinking a chocolate milkshake.

Healthy Chocolate Milkshake

Yes, a chocolate milkshake. Hopefully I didn’t worry you with my last post.

Today also happens to be National Chocolate Milkshake Day!

chocolate protein milkshake

Chocolate “Protein” Milkshake

(serves 2)

• 2 tbsp cocoa powder (10g)
  • 1 cup Mori-Nu firm tofu (Click for: Soy-Free Version) (240g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • up to 2 cups milk of choice (480g) (less for a thicker shake.)
  • sweetener of choice: such as 2-3 tbsp liquid sweetener or sugar, or stevia extract to taste
  • optional, for an even richer shake: 2 tbsp peanut butter or other nut butter, or 1 tbsp veg or coconut oil (If using the nut butter option, it will be even higher in protein!)

Combine everything in a blender, and blend until super-smooth. If you don’t have a blender, perhaps you could try using soft tofu and skipping the blending step, but I’ve not tried this. You can also try another type of tofu; however, Mori-Nu has less of an aftertaste—and my testers and I found that you can’t taste it at all in this recipe! As for the milk, Silk almondmilk works well, and I’m sure many other types of milk will also be good, but I can only vouch for the Silk because it’s what I’ve tried.

View Chocolate Protein Shake Nutrition Facts

chocolate protein shake

Do you ever use protein powder?

And do you have a favorite brand or flavor? I’ve never found a favorite brand, so I rarely use it. There’s a small packet of SunWarrior chocolate sitting in my kitchen I haven’t tried yet. Maybe that’ll be the one; but if not, I’m perfectly happy to continue without. Contrary to popular belief, it’s quite easy to get enough protein on a vegan diet. Here’s a list of some High-Protein Vegan Foods.

Link of the Day:

cinnamon roll pie

……Deep Dish Cinnamon Roll Pie

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. Abby says:

At first I though you where now going to be ” Peanut covered Katie” But, I guess that thought slipped away when I saw this!
    The only way I like protein powder, is by eating the powder all by its self. 😀

1. leah says:

hi katie! i just discovered ur website and im obsessed with it! ur really awesome! I already tried out a bunch of recipes. just made this milkshake for myself and my husband drank three quarters of it! Thank u!

2. Jasmin says:

I use vega protein powder sometimes…. but it’s so expensive and I’d rather get most of the nutrients from whole food sources anyway. This shake looks delicious. And I’m super excited because I found Mori-Nu tofu! Can’t wait to try out all the tofu recipes!

1. Yvonne McCord says:

I agree with Jasmin. I use vega protein powder and it is so expensive. I am excited to try this shake!!

1. Serena says:

This sounds amazing!! I am not one for protein powders either, but recently I have started using Juice Plus Complete powder, which isn’t really a protein powder, more of an all natural,plant based, no added filler, wholefoods powder, and its vegan!! you should look into it and come up with some recipies!!

3. Sarah the official CCK drooler @RomneyRyan2012 says:

hey, awesome! I have everything so I’m gonna make it and be back with results! Do you think I could use banana instead of the syrup as a sweetener? I’m trying to reduce my the amount of sugar I use and I just had some syrup in my breakfast which was your cinnamon roll boatmeal. It was AWESOME. I put half the batter in then layered some apple slice tossed with cinnamon and then the rest of the batter and that was topped with the remaining apples. After it cam out of the oven…oh gosh. It powered me through English!
    And I think I drank a gallon of your caramel apple milkshake the past few days. My way of saying hi to fall!!!

1. Liz says:

I’m going to try it with dates to sweeten. I’m pretty sure it will work well….

1. Sarah the official CCK drooler @RomneyRyan2012 says:

How did it work out? I used a frozen banana and it totally worked. Though, without the tofu this would be what I exactly make usually for a snack. I’m not sure what the tofu does as this tastes exactly the same as my usual recipe 🙂

1. Liz says:

Dates were perfect…you just need a high-powered blender so it gets smooth.

2. Kim says:

I just found your website, and am excited to try this shake! I’m also trying to find the caramel apple milkshake mentioned above, but I don’t see it in the recipes listing?

Thanks!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

I think you’re looking for this link

4. Laura says:

I use plain, unflavored/unsweetened brown rice protein in my green smoothie every morning. It is gritty and bland if just blended with milk, but the texture doesn’t bother me once mixed with fruit & greens, and it does make the smoothie more filling.

5. Moni Meals says:

This looks great!! I do use protein powder. Sun Warrior and a few others.
    I can’t wait to try this and the texture looks amazing!
    Happy national chocolate milkshake day Katie!

6. Oh my gosh…you rimmed the glass with sprinkles. Amazing.

7. I don’t like protein powder either. It just ruins smoothies and milkshakes. Your chocolate milkshake just looks fabulous! And the protein content is unbelievable, too. I have some tofu in the freezer that I might just have to thaw out for this. 😉

8. Nancy says:

I don’t use protein powders on a daily basis, but I do really like Peaceful Planets Pea Protein Powder. I have only purchased it in French Vanilla so far…and yes, I do love chocolate but wanted to use this in recipes so opted for a more neutral flavor. I have used it in some of your protein bar recipes and they came out great! It’s very tasty as a shake blended with banana & almond milk. It is green in color, but doesn’t taste like peas to me, which is good because I don’t like peas! Also no added sugar or GMO’s:)

9. This looks wonderful!!! I am having my first protein shake today, chocolate, frozen banana, frozen strawberies and coconut milk. Hope it tastes good!! I have to try your shake!

10. Andie says:

This looks amazing! Such a great and yummier-looking version than protein powder! My mom makes me drink protein smoothies because I’m vegan too, (she’s not) but now I can add in the tofu instead! Yay! haha. And i love that it’s chocolate 🙂

11. L. says:

Just whipped this up!

OMG it tastes like drinking a milkshake from McDonalds (well from what I remember) or maybe even baskin and robbins?

Its THAT good.

Your recipes never disappoint, girl!

12. I love the Publix brand protein powder!

13. karen says:

Wow – wanted protein drink – already like your other uses of tofu with choc for pie filling so this should be good too

1. L. says:

Just tried it. Its really really good!

14. Leanne says:

I love SunWarrior protein powder. I love both their vanilla and chocolate flavor. I haven’t tried a lot of protein powders. I began using PP two years ago and the SunWarrior kind was my first pick = bingo! I have tried hemp protein since, which I love as well. It was a more nutty taste to it, kinda like very finely ground up pumpkin seeds I think… This shake looks amazing! I love tofu in shakes! I make ‘m often for my mum; yet I can’t tolerate soy very well 🙁 So I’ll make mine with yogurt or protein powders (doesn’t get as creamy though…) With Love, Leanne

15. Andie says:

Also, should I use silken or firm tofu?

16. Ashley says:

I am curious what is on the edge of the glass? Some sort of sprinkles it looks like, but not listed in ingredients? I think it adds a special touch!

17. Steph says:

BeachBody makes two vegan versions of their protein powder “Shakeology”. Dark Chocolate Vegan and Tropical Vegan (which tastes most like strawberries and banana). Love them both.

18. LOVE Arbonne’s vegan protein powder in chocolate and vanilla! Brown rice, yellow pea, and cranberry protein is the basis of the protein and it is free of artificial sweeters and NO SOY, which is super important to me due to a history of hormone-driven cancers in my family. Best tasting protein shakes I have found, I might add;-). Love your recipes…keep it up!

19. Laura M says:

This sounds delicious! Most of my protein comes from food sources (peanut butter & almond butter!) but I do use Designer Whey chocolate protein powder in my smoothies often.

20. Jenica says:

Perfect timing! I just got my wisdom teeth out today so I’ll have to have my boyfriend make this for me!