Vegan Candy Corn

Ghosts.

Goblins.

Healthier candy corn recipe you can do at home - without the artificial ingredients & corn syrup. From @choccoveredkt... Full recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/28/vegan-candy-corn/

And… candy corn?

Think of candy corn as comic relief from Halloween.

It’s cute, it’s yummy, and it’s not the slightest bit scary. That is, until you look at the ingredients. Gelatin, corn syrup, FDC Yellow 6 Lake, Red 40, Blue 1 Lake… Are you scared yet?

Homemade Candy Corn

I’ve always loved candy corn, more for its festiveness and adorableness than for the actual taste. So when I made these candies I wasn’t going for an exact copycat, but more of a fun and healthier and vegan candy corn substitute.

You might like them even better than real candy corn!

Vegan Candy Corn

• 1/4 cup raw cashew butter (or peanut butter if you want pb-flavored candy corn. Who knows… it might be fun!) (58g)
  • tiny dash salt
  • 1/4 cup powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar (28g)
  • Either red and yellow food coloring (you can purchase natural food coloring at Whole Foods), or a tiny pinch turmeric and a few drops beet juice

Mix the first three ingredients together in a bowl until it becomes a crumbly dough. (Note: if your nut butter is from the fridge, let it sit awhile or heat it up so it’s easier to mix.) If dough is too gooey (mine wasn’t), you can add a little extra sugar/sf sugar. Taste the dough and add a little more salt if desired. Now transfer the crumbles to a plastic bag and smush very hard into a ball. Remove from the bag and form three little balls, then add a few drops yellow food coloring or the turmeric to one ball and knead until it’s all one color. Do the same with the red. (For my un-edited “in process” photos, see the nutrition link below.) Roll balls into skinny strips—the skinnier the strips, the smaller the resulting candy corns, and press strips together. Cut into triangles or other shapes. As stated above in the post, these aren’t supposed to taste exactly like store-bought candy corn; they’re yummy in their own right. You can store in the fridge, but my roommate—the candy nut—says they taste best straight from the freezer. Or you can even bake them: 350 F for 3-5 minutes, then allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from tray.

View Vegan Candy Corn Nutrition Facts + Step-By-Step Photos

STEP-BY-STEP: How to make healthier candy corn at home, without all the artificial ingredients and high fructose corn syrup http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/10/28/vegan-candy-corn/ vegan candy corn!

What are you doing for Halloween this year?

Are you dressing up? Or staying home and handing out candy? Or trying to console a dog who goes berserk every time the doorbell rings? Guess I just gave away my Halloween plans…

Link Of The Day:

peanut-butter-oat
Peanut Butter Cup Baked Oatmeal

Tags: , , ,

1. Linde Platy says:

That is just sooo cute!
    Im definately dressing up, we’re having the party of the year! Will be a girly outfit though, not scary or slutty!

2. Tiffany H says:

I’m glad these don’t taste exactly like candy corn, I never thought they had much flavour besides the taste of sugar. Unfortunately this Halloween I’m gonna be home by myself so I’ll just be handing out candy.

3. Love the idea! I am not dressing up for Halloween, no matter how much my friends try to convince me that a batman villain costume is a “good idea.” 😛

1. I think my dog needs a Batman villain costume. :)

4. Cosette says:

Oh these almost look like Starburst candies! Can’t wait to try them :)

1. Brooke says:

Ooh, I would love a recipe for vegan starburst!

5. Lisa C. says:

These are just the cutest things ever, and I love the photos!

6. Sarah says:

I love that you made hearts. We used to buy candy corn hearts every year for Halloween from a candy store near my house when I was growing up.

But in stores around here I only see regular shaped candy corn. It makes me miss the hearts, which I always thought were cuter.

We’d also buy them (pink candy corn!) in heart shapes from the same candy shop for Valentine’s Day. Can anyone else still find candy corn hearts, or did they discontinue them?

7. Mary Z says:

This looks great!
    I love candy corn, but I had to give it up even before going vegan (and, more recently, dye-free) due to my corn allergy, and all the recipes I’ve seen before for making your own are basically corn-syrup cooked solid! Ick!
    I am so making these tomorrow while I wait out the storm! (You could make these by candlelight as they don’t require cooking, right?)

1. Emma says:

Ick, the storm. I like your thinking. Stay at home and make candy corn. Now, to make sure I have all the ingredients so I don’t have to go out tomorrow!

8. Summer says:

Pure brilliance Katie! You have an amazing talent and gift~ As a health coach, I am always referencing your site. Thank you, thank you for sharing through your blog posts!

9. Emma says:

Heck yes, this is awesome!!! I always loved candy corn, like you, for the festiveness (is that a word?) more than the taste. I am so excited to try your vegan version! I’m not even a vegan, but I try to stay away from HFCS and artiticial dyes. I think I have turmeric in my cabinet from making mac and cheese once.

Thanks for a really adorable post!

10. Tiffani says:

Question for any and every vegan: What do you pass out to kids when they come by? Non-vegan candy or vegan candy (home-made store-bought?)?
    I’m a new vegan (10 months and counting!) and I’m not sure how to particapte in this holiday.

1. Sunnie says:

You could always hand out little party favors – spider rings, pencils, erasers, cheap plastic toys, etc. . . . like Dollar-Tree-type things.

Also, you could always buy things like bags of pretzels or chips – not exactly healthy, but vegan! :) If you’re willing to spend a little more, you can actually buy boxes of vegan chocolate bars, such as Justin’s Dark Chocolate Peanut butter cups (here: http://www.amazon.com/Justins-Dark-Choc-Butter-Milk/dp/B007HD4TOG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1351447858&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=justins+peanut+butter+cups) or Oskri mini Chocolate-Coconut Bars, which are a lot like Mounds bars (here: http://www.amazon.com/Oskri-Coconut-Original-Chocolate-0-88-Ounce/dp/B003QWGG0M).

Good luck! :)

2. I would love to hand out something homemade, but in this day and age I just don’t think that would work :(. This year I’m going to a party, so I’m not handing out candy… but one year in the past, I handed out Swedish Fish, which are vegan.
      You can find a list of vegan candy here: http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=4487&catId=2

3. adorpheus says:

I’m planning to hand out party favours like Sunnie said (rings, toys, etc) and I’m making “healthier” sugar cookies. I guess that is quite unorthodox, but aside from the vegan issue, I’m new to the neighborhood I live in and I don’t know if we’ll even get any trick or treaters. At my last apartment, my housemates bought two huge bags of candy and we didn’t get a SINGLE trick or treater and the sweets were still around months later. Ugh! At least if I get no kids coming to my house, I can eat the cookies myself. 😉 Like Katie said, though – Swedish fish are a great vegan-friendly candy to hand out, unfortunately we don’t have them here in the UK.

11. Katieluv4ever says:

Hey Katie! Love these candy corn! My Halloween plans this year…it will probably be cancelled for the SECOND year in a row! First a freak October snowstorm, now Hurricane Sandy! What else could go wrong???? Anyways, thanks so much for this recipe(:

12. How adorable are these?!?! And much less scarier than the “real” candycorns

13. I was just thinking this morning that I needed to get some more candy corn in me before the Holidays are over!

14. Eric Jaffa says:

CCK – Are you going to a costume party?

15. Ohhh they look yummy and way better tasting then candy corn!!

16. Yay! Candy corn! I love it so much but the ingredients are pretty scary.

I’m dressing up for Halloween & going to a costume party. I’m going as Effie Trinket from the Hunger Games. It’ll be so much fun to do the makeup. 😉

17. Kali says:

I understand the con syrup and dyes and all that but could you explain your reasoning Katie for why beeswax is ‘scary’? Just curious, as I can imagine why but would like to hear it from you.

1. Laura says:

It’s not technically vegan, I know that.

1. As a vegan, I wouldn’t eat beeswax, but that wasn’t actually why I listed it. I was just listing the ingredients in order… I can see how that might have come out wrong (or sounding self-righteous), and I edited it out of the post.

18. Jessica says:

I made these! I didn’t bother with the food coloring, or shaping it like candy corn. I just rolled it into little balls, and it is really delicious! It took like 5 minutes to make, which was really cool, but the real reason I made it was because I’ve had a jar of Artisana raw cashew butter in my fridge FOREVER and didn’t know what to do with it.

These balls are a great pre-workout snack. Thanks, Katie!

1. Jessica says:

Oh, and I am going to try baking some as well. Will report back!