German Chocolate Cake for One

GERMAN CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE - single-serving, can be made in the microwave, secretly healthy & can be oil-free. Recipe here:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/11/28/german-chocolate-cake-for-one/

The cake above is meant for just one person.

Yes, you’re really supposed to eat the whole thing at once.

Don’t argue.

single serving german chocolate cake!

Arguing will get you nowhere.

Whereas not arguing will get you… cake!

Double-layer chocolate cake, with gooey caramel-coconut-pecan frosting in each and every decadent bite. The cake part is just my recipe for One-Minute Chocolate Cake. So today’s recipe is really all about the gooey frosting.

german chocolate cake for one

German Chocolate Mug Cake

Cake:

• 1 tablespoon plus 2 tsp cocoa powder (8g)
  • 3 tablespoons spelt flour (or white, or Arrowhead Mills gf) (See nutrition link below, for substitution notes.) (30g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp sugar or evaporated cane juice (edit: xylitol works as well) (10g)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 stevia packet (or 1 tablespoon more sugar)
  • 2-3 tsp coconut oil or vegetable oil (10-12g) (Many readers say it still tastes good if you sub applesauce or mashed banana. But I can’t personally vouch for the results if you make that substitution.)
  • 3 tablespoons milk of choice (45g) (I used almond milk)
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Frosting:

• 1 cup pecans (100g)
  • 1/4 cup pitted dates (40g) (If you don’t like dates, you can omit this, but it doesn’t make the frosting taste like dates; it just gives a caramel taste.)
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp water (105g)
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp maple syrup (10g)
  • 2 nunaturals stevia packets, or 2 tbsp powdered sugar (or omit and simply increase maple syrup to 3 tbsp, while cutting the water back to 1/4 cup)
  • optional: 3 tbsp coconut butter, for a more buttery taste (45g)
  • 1 tbsp shredded coconut (5g)

For the cake: Combine first 6 ingredients and mix very, very well. Add ingredients 7-9, stir, then transfer to two 1/2-cup ramekins that have been greased well. If using the oven, cook 13-14 at 350F. If using the microwave, heat 30-60 seconds (depending on the type of flour). If you don’t want to eat it straight out of the dish, be sure to wait for them to cool before trying to remove.

For the frosting: In a dish, cover the pecans and dates in water (not the measured water listed in the recipe) and let soak at least 8 hours. Drain completely, then combine all frosting ingredients except coconut and blend very well, until it is completely smooth. Frost each cake, sprinkle with coconut, and stack one on top of the other. (Frosting recipe makes about 1 1/4c total. Obviously you won’t need all of this for the single-serving cake, but it’s important to make the full batch for optimum blending. Besides… when is leftover frosting a bad thing?)

View German Chocolate Cake Nutrition Facts

healthy german chocolate cake

**Side note: I always seem to forget that when one runs a food blog, everything is taken literally. No, I did not have just one small plate of food for Thanksgiving… How our Thanksgiving works is that we pretty much eat for the entire party, not just when we sit down for dinner!

Anyway, I edited the post to avoid confusion.

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. gayle says:

I see we can now Pin it…but when will we be able to print recipes with a click? It is such a pain to cut and paste from a website (though I love your recipes).

1. I’m working with a web designer, and when the newly-designed site launches, there will be a print button :).

2. Lauren says:

Gayle, Have you ever tried evernote? It’s a great way to keep track of all of your recipes….online. No wasted paper, and it clips them for you so you can just print them.

2. I’d love to try the pecan frosting! Pecans are my favorite nuts ever! They are just so hart to get in Germany… =(

1. Cory says:

Urgh…I know :( Probier Mal deinen Aldi, manchmal auch bei Lidl. Und dann viele kaufen & einfrieren.

3. Colleen says:

BRILLIANT! I can’t wait to make this, German chocolate cake is my husband’s FAVORITE. I wish there was a way to fast soak the dates and nuts so I could make it tonight!!

1. Jasmin says:

This reply is too late to help you out but maybe it will help someone else.. I think this might work (I have tried it on cashews anyway so it might work on pecans and maybe even on the dates): pour boiling water over the nuts and let it sit for 45 min.

1. Christopher Columbus says:

Thanks, it helped me at least :)

4. Kat says:

I´ve always loved your one minute chocolate cake… and with this frosting… mmmmmmmmm :)

5. kimthevegan says:

I like to argue/debate as well. But not when chocolate is involved. I will not argue with you about eating the whole thing by yourself =)
    That looks utterly divine…

6. Natasha says:

This looks like a great icing recipe. I don’t like arguing or debating, I get too upset. And I usually start crying.

7. katy sparrow says:

YUM. This is my dad’s favorite cake, so my grandma would always make it for his birthday. I look fwd to making my own gorgeous vegan version! I’m really no good at debating, but when I do, I find it very useful to point out commonalities of both sides early on.

8. This looks incredible! My friend who loves German Chocolate is going to flip out with excitement when I send her this link. 😀

9. Oh, yum! I haven’t tried your one minute chocolate cake yet, but I might have to after seeing this post. I’ll have to go to the store sometime this week to buy more dates. Adding that to the shopping list right now………

I love to debate. Especially with my dad. He’s a very good partner, because we both never give up and just end up compromising. Or Mom has to step in and stop us. 😉

10. Angela Guptill says:

Hi Katie: Just checked the calorie count on the one cup of pecans and it’s 753. Your total calorie count for the finished cake is much lower than that. Did I miss something here? Thanks much and LOVE your recipes and love sharing them :-)

1. Lena says:

You don’t use the entire 1 1/4C of frosting that the recipe yields for one mini-cake :) Only part of it…

1. Amelie says:

How much frosting is used fort the nutrition facts? Thank Katie, your recipes are always so good, I just want to make sure.

2. Amanda says:

The nutrition facts link says it’s one heaping TBSP for the recipe. You’d be using a tinytiny portion of the whole frosting recipe, but all of the cake portion of the recipe. I’m fairly certain she gave the entire frosting recipe for blending purposes, since I hear it’s nearly impossible to blend small quantities of nuts and still yield a smooth result.

11. I sent this link to my mom – german chocolate cake is her absolute favorite!

12. Kayla says:

Hi Katie!
    O my gosh this looks sooooo good!!! I can not wait to try it. Although, I am in college, in a dorm, so baking is not really possible… But christmas break is coming soon so I know what I will be doing! On quick question, do you think you could post the nutrition info for just the frosting? I looks so good, I kind of just want to eat it plain! :)

1. Kayla says:

Thank you! So excited to make this you have no idea! :)

13. I have been thinking about making this single serve cake for so long and this frosting is tempting me even more.

14. *Sigh* I hate that you have to change your posts so much just to appease people.

This mini cake sounds perfect though. I personally don’t like german chocolate cake, but I know tons who do and I will have to try this recipe out on them!

Oh, and I LOVE to argue. My parents always said that I should be a lawyer with all of the questions I ask. Haha. Good to know though that I’m not the only one who likes to talk! :)

15. Yum!! I would that whole cake, no prob.

16. Michal M says:

Oh. My. Gosh. That looks AMAZING, and just in time for exam week 😉

17. Ed says:

Damn that looks dangerous! And tasty!

18. Erin says:

Katie,

Girl, you never disappoint. I have like 20 food blogs in my favorites list and I check most of them at least once a week. You are the one that posts the most frequently and the most yumm-ily. I used to dream about pizza and enchiladas and now I dream about 1 Minute Cakes, Vegan Frosting and whatever else you will come up with next. Thank you for everything you do.