Double Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies

Would you like a cookie?

Dark, chocolatey, gooey, cakey, chewy brownie cookies… It is like eating a fudge brownie and a chocolate-chip cookie at the exact same time. For any chocolate lover, these are a MUST-TRY!  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/04/double-chocolate-chip-brownie-cookies/

Or would you prefer a brownie?

These double chocolate chip cookies are rich, dark, chocolatey, gooey, cakey, chewy… In other words, it is like eating a fudge brownie and a chocolate-chip cookie at the exact same time.

They are a must-try for chocolate lovers!

healthy chocolate cookies

By the way:

No one should ever make you choose between brownies or cookies.

That is just cruel.

Dark, chocolatey, gooey, cakey, chewy brownie cookies… It's like eating a fudge brownie and a chocolate-chip cookie at the exact same time. For any chocolate lover, these are a MUST-TRY!  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/04/double-chocolate-chip-brownie-cookies/

Chocolate Brownie Cookies

• 1/2 cup spelt flour (or ww pastry or white flour. You can use Arrowhead Mills’ gf mix if you add a little extra liquid so the dough is less crumbly.) (70g)
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder (20g)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt (just under level)
  • 1/4 plus 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup xylitol or sugar (45g)
  • 1 NuNaturals stevia packet, or 1 tbsp extra sugar
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 5 tbsp vegetable or coconut oil (50g)
  • If needed: 1-2 tbsp milk of choice or more oil
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (50-65g) (Technically, you can omit… but the recipe is so much better if you don’t! Mini chips are ideal; if you must use regular-sized, I recommend chopping them up to be smaller so you get chocolate in every bite.)
  • optional: a few drops of pure almond extract, for a fun flavor variation

In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir very well. In a separate bowl, mix all liquid ingredients. Now pour wet into dry, stir to combine fully, transfer the dough to a big plastic bag, and smush into one big ball while still inside the bag. Remove from bag and make mini balls, place on a greased cookie sheet, then fridge at least 30 minutes, or freeze 15 minutes. (If you want crispy healthy cookies, you can skip this step and bake immediately.) Preheat oven to 325 F, then bake 10 minutes. They will look underdone when they come out, but that is ok. Just be sure to let them cool at least another 10 minutes before trying to pick the cookies up. (If you want flatter cookies than the ones in the photos, you can flatten them before or after they go in the oven.) Makes 14-17 cookies. For soft cookies, store in a lidded plastic container; for crispy cookies, store in a glass container.

View Nutrition Facts

chocolate brownie cookies

Question of the Day:

What is your favorite holiday cookie?

Mine is probably chocolate-chip. I’m boring! But I also used to really like these mini pecan tarts my grandmother made, with a buttery cream-cheese crust. At some point I want to create a healthy and vegan cookie from that recipe. Also: thanks for all the unusual cookie suggestions the other day. I’m still trying to decide which idea to play around with first. The cream puff suggestion seems to be winning at the moment, even though it’s not a cookie!

Link of the Day:

healthy peanut butter cookies
….No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookies

One of my favorite cookie recipes ever… Happy National Cookie Day!!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Marissa says:

Wow, I didn’t even read the post yet and I wanted to eat one. Your photos need a like button.

1. Thanks :).
      I feel like the photos don’t even do the cookies justice… you can’t see any of the chocolate chips or how melty-delicious they are!

2. Haha… that’s the way I always feel with Katie’s photos!

2. Samantha says:

So perfect and wonderful for this rainy day! I am excited to bake these after I get a bit of work done. 🙂 I could make them right now without the chocolate chips (finished off my bag yesterday :)) but I think they would be so much better after a trip to the store. Thank you!

1. Ann says:

These are ADDICTIVE! I can’t stop eating them. Someone please help! 😕 😉

3. Cookies and brownies. My two favorite foods. Put them together and you are now my favorite person in the whole world. 🙂

My favorite holiday cookies are molasses cookies. There’s something about the combination of ginger and molasses that I can’t get enough of.

4. I do have an abundance of mini chocolate chips to use up….. I guess I should make these because the chocolate chips will absolutely go bad if I don’t, and then I’ll have wasted all that chocolate! Just kidding, but these brownie cookies look fantastic! I’ve always been more a fan of that chewy rich brownie texture than of cookies, but roll them both up into a neat little package and it’s even better! And you definitely canNOT omit chocolate chips from a brownie recipe in my set of rules – you’d have to be absolutely mad!

5. Becca says:

These look great! I appreciated your “soapbox” moment for the oil in the substitutions page. It’s hard for many people (including myself at times) to grasp the concept of good fats! As for my favorite holiday cookie, that would have to be those cookies (I think they’re peanut butter cookies) with the hersheys kisses on top! The kisses get soft and melty and they are my absolute favorite! 🙂

6. Cate says:

My favorite is Peanut Butter Thumbprints filled with chocolate. Although I found a recipe for Eclair cookies that look good. Just have to figure out how to make them vegan =]

1. Mae :o) says:

Did you say Eclair cookies?? Now that would be a fun Christmas treat – Especially in a more healthy variety. I would love to tweak it up. Do you mind sharing the source for these Cate?

1. Cate says:

The recipe isn’t that great but I like the idea. Was gonna re-make them. Healthier and Vegan =]

1. Mae :o) says:

Awesome-Thanks Cate! You are right… it has nice potential. I’ll give it a healthified whirl. The husband loves eclairs – So this will be a nice surprise.

7. Cookies are great. Brownies are great. Brownie cookies?? Must be greater than great!! 🙂 Definitely will have to go apron up and try these out…

8. YUM! My mind is wandering to a peppermint-y version of the above…y’know, for the holidays! 😉

9. Michelle says:

wait, wait, wait…!? 61 calories for 17 cookies? Did I read that right. These look perfect! Thanks!

1. Maise says:

Maybe she meant the recipe yields 17 cookies, and each one is 61 cals? I didn’t do the math but considering the oils, I doubt it is only 61 cals for 17! lol I mean unless they are teeeeenyyy..

1. Anonymous says:

I think Maise is right; each serving size is 21g, and I doubt the entire recipe is 21g 😀 Haha that almost got my hopes up!

2. Amanda says:

It definitely wouldn’t be 61 calories per the entire recipe. Katie usually does per serving (1 cookie) nutrient analyses unless she specifically says for the ENTIRE recipe.

10. oh goodness gracious, those look amazing! And my favorite cookie for the holidays is a sugar cookie with frosting!

11. Ed says:

Those look awesome… i know this is against their nature but damn they would be great with some ice cream!

12. kimthevegan says:

Oh holy crap! This is super exciting! I’m always having to decide between a cookie and a brownie… quite the conundrum. You have solved my problem =)

As for my favourite holiday cookie? It’s not really a cookie, but those peppermint pattie things. I just found a vegan version last year, but were full of icing sugar, so I vowed not to make them this year. That is until I found your cool Cosmic-Chocolate peppermint patties. They are *so* good! And lot less guilt ;p

13. Genius! Now I can eat these instead of eating a cookie AND a brownie when I can’t choose between the two 🙂

14. Rena says:

these look great! i have whole spelt flour, not white kind- will that work?
    also did you use sugar in the ones pictured above or xyilitol?

1. Yes, when I say spelt flour I always use the whole-grain one.
      I tried both sugar and xylitol for this recipe, and they pretty much look the same regardless.

1. Rena says:

yay perfect! i cant wait to try these!

15. Carissa says:

Definitely making these today!! Do you think I could use coconut sugar instead of xlyitol/regular sugar? I’m guessing it would be fine.

1. Carissa says:

Ooops didn’t read the substitutions until after commenting. I will definitely be making these with coconut sugar 😀 And my favorite holiday cookie would have to be chocolate crinkle cookies (the ones rolled in powdered sugar) with a little bit of peppermint extract and crushed candy canes on top. Mmmm!

16. Ashleysh22 says:

oooh! these look like JUST what I need for our bake sale next week! I’m on the oncology interest group and we have a bake sale next week. I’m gonna do it! woohoo!

17. Kat says:

Oh.. My.. God… this is awesome

18. megan says:

Oh my goodness, my favorite hoilday cookies of all time are those mini pecan tarts (I think they’re called pecan tassies). If you make a healthy version, you will be my hero!!

19. Isabel Barganier :) says:

Hi Katie!! I am SO obsessed with these Christmas cookie post!! I can’t wait to make them, they look amazing!! Thank you so much! 🙂

20. As the girl who has an excruciating time choosing between her desserts, I’m all over the idea a chocolate cookie and chocolate brownie joining forces!