Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese

Can you guess my favorite food?

So creamy and cheesy, this recipe might be the healthiest macaroni and cheese in the world. I've made it three times already... it is awesome!

Macaroni and cheese.

Okay maybe it’s my second favorite, after chocolate. But seriously, if you served me vegan macaroni and cheese every night for dinner, you’d never hear me complain. Not once. It is my #1 comfort food of choice, and many of my childhood holiday dinners went something like this:

• Christmas Eve: Family eats lobster. Katie eats macaroni and cheese.
  • New Year’s Day: Family eats pork. Katie eats macaroni and cheese.
  • Easter: Family eats pink ham.

Katie eats…

macaroni casserole

It was probably the single most difficult food to give up when I went vegan, and as a former cheese-lover with very high standards, I’ve tried some pretty lousy vegan macaroni and cheese substitutes over the years.

Such as the mock-n-cheese from The Squeeze Food Truck.

However, I’ve also tried some really good vegan mac and cheese recipes! For example, Soul Vegetarian Café in Washington DC makes a vegan macaroni and cheese so authentic you will swear you’re eating the real thing.

vegan macaroni and cheese

When my friend Dreena sent me a copy of her new cookbook, Let Them Eat Vegan, the healthy macaroni and cheese recipe, entitled “Mac Oh Geez,” was first to catch my eye, and even though it sounded complicated, I knew I’d have to try it.

It was well worth the effort! I’m not going to say this vegan macaroni and cheese recipe tastes exactly like real mac and cheese, but it’s just as good in its own right—creamy, cheesy, and comforting. I’ve now made the vegan mac and cheese three times and was even brave enough to serve it for Thanksgiving. (Remember this picture of my Thanksgiving dinner?)

No tofu, no cheese substitutes!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 3 to 3 1/2 cups dry cut pasta (ex: macaroni, penne) (about 10 oz)
  • 3/4 cup raw cashews (see “nutrition facts” link below for a nut-free version)
  • 1/2 cup raw brazil nuts
  • 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 medium clove garlic
  • 2 tsp arrowroot powder
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp (rounded) dry mustard
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/2 cups milk of choice (preferably: unsweetened almond or soymilk)
  • 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
  • For breadcrumb topping:
  • 3/4 to 1 1/4 cups dry whole-grain breadcrumbs (See “nutritional info” link below, for gluten-free option)
  • 1/2 to 1 tbsp olive oil
  • Couple pinches sea salt

Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Recipe: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Throw pasta into a deep pot of boiling salted water. While pasta is cooking, blend all sauce ingredients (ingredients 2-11) in a blender or in a deep bowl with an immersion blender. Once pasta is almost tender, fully drain (don’t rinse). Mix noodles with sauce, and immediately pour into a lightly oiled 8 x 12” baking dish. (It will look like there is a lot of runny sauce – it will thicken up, trust the pasta!) Mix breadcrumb toppings in a small bowl, then sprinkle over top of casserole. Cover with foil and bake for 17-18 minutes. Then, remove foil cover and bake another 5-7 minutes or until topping is golden brown and crisped. Don’t overbake or sauce will get too thick. Remove from oven and place vegan macaroni and cheese casserole on a hot plate (rather than on top of oven, since residual heat from oven will continue to thicken the sauce). Serve! For troubleshooting, substitutions, and nutrition information, see the following link:

*View Vegan Mac and Cheese Nutrition Facts*

healthy mac and cheese

Did you have any favorite childhood comfort foods?

Without a doubt, my grandmother’s macaroni and cheese casserole was my favorite thing to eat when I was younger. But I also loved mashed sweet potatoes, hot chocolate, and basically any kind of spaghetti or pasta. Still do!

Tags: , , , ,

1. Kimberly Andresen-reed says:

I’ll be making it this week, I have everything except dry mustard, so I’ll pick some up this week. I’ve tried a couple different kinds of vegan mac and cheese and haven’t found a favorite yet, with cashews and Brazil nuts though, how could you go wrong?

2. Christina says:

Yumm. Can’t wait to try this! I have some roasted butternut squash I might blend in with the sauce also, and maybe I’ll mix in some roasted broccoli for a broccoli/mac ‘n cheese. My stomach is growling just thinking about it. And of course all the Swiss markets are closed on Sundays…alas, tomorrow…

3. Angela says:

Hi Katie!
    Great recipe and great idea–sound delish!!
    I was hoping you’d try something with using butternut squash puree as the basis of the cheesiness. Have you tried this out before or looked into it? It might also be a good substitute for the calorie conscious.I’ve tried versions of it before that I didn’t like as much…I thought if there’s anyone who could master the recipe, though, it’d be you!

4. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy! Will have to make this soon.

5. Thank you Katie for featuring my Mac Oh Geez! My mom’s mac was my comfort food as a kid… And ice cream (and that holds true today, just now they are all vegan)!

I’m happy to answer any q’s your readers have, thanks for linking them to my site.

Also, they may love the opportunity to get in on some holiday prizes, your post is perfect timing. I’m doing a week of reader appreciation prizes on my page, including a gift pack from my FAVE ice cream Coconut Bliss! Follow for fun *freebies*!

Finally, I have to say Katie… that your photos look MOST like my mom’s own mac n cheese, you brought back a bit of nostalgia with your review. <3

Plant-powered hugs!

1. I have saved this recipe up on my tablet since Katie posted it. I didn’t want to forget to make it, despite being out of town and the holiday season getting nutty. I am SO glad I did. Man, oh, man!! This was spectacular! What if I hadn’t doubled the recipe? There would be no leftovers. My youngest teen boy couldn’t have eaten himself under the table (where I lie, moaning with a too-full belly, because apparently, I’m a mac and cheese lover/pig who finally found a vegan version worthy of the name mac and cheese!)

Being me, I couldn’t leave it alone without some very minor tweaks. I used gluten-free everything – quinoa/corn elbows (3 8-oz. boxes), and breadcrumbs made from Deland’s millet-garlic-basil bread (which was THE icing on the cake, so to speak.). I used Earth Balance buttery sticks instead of olive oil in the crumbs and doubled the amount, because millet bread soaks it up. After blending the excellent cheese sauce, I tasted it and elected to toss in 2T. of nutritional yeast for the doubled batch. It deepened the flavor without overpowering the it like in so many vegan versions.

My hat is off to you! Incredible recipe! This one is printed and will be made repeatedly!!!!!

6. Emilie says:

For the calorie conscious people butternut squash mixed with nutritional yeast or those skinny cow low fat cheese triangles tastes exactly like kraft dinner. If you want it creamier without the cheese I’ve also tried PB2 mixed with nutritional yeast which also works really well. 😀

1. Eve says:

I am interested in trying the butternut squash, how much?? and how much nutritional yeast? when would you add it.

7. Melissa says:

I’ve been eating vegan for the last few weeks, and I think I may be a convert! I live in DC, and sadly, Soul has closed so I can’t try their mac and cheese. I’ll have to try this recipe for Christmas, though!

1. Lisa says:

I first want to say that I love your webpage and have enjoyed every recipe I’ve made from here! Thanks for inventing so many great recipes! This looks really good, but I don’t have arrowroot powder, do you think I could use cornstarch instead? Thanks!!!

2. Lisa says:

You should try the mac-n-cheez at Everlasting Life Cafe in DC. The all vegan menu is wonderful and expansive. The mac-n-cheez is legendary.

1. Melissa says:

I love EL Cafe! Everything there is amazing! :)

2. Lisa says:

A few weeks ago I went on a hunt for a recipe to replicate the EL mac-n-cheez. I think I found it on youtube:

I am planning to make this for recipe Christmas dinner (or at least one day next week). I’ll let you know how it turns out.

BTW – I found it amusing that you managed to get two different Lisa’s to respond to your original comment. Perhaps I should start going by Lisa (MD). In any case, I agree with the first Lisa. This is an awesome site. I just found it last night and stayed up until about 3:00 am checking out the recipes and comments. In fact, at 3:01 am I put the base for my vanilla ice cream in the freezer. I am on my way to Wegmans now to pick up the ingredients for the chocolate chip pie.

This new vegan lifestyle is so exciting! I am having so much fun learning new methods and techniques. I would say my skills have started to exceed many items I’ve tasted at EL. Look out! There may be new vegan chef in the DMV metro area.

8. Haha, just today I was asking you whether you’d post this recipe soon. I’ll have to give it a try for sure! Fingers crossed my crappy hand-held blender won’t let me down.

1. Hiya miss polkadot! :) If you use your handblender it will be helpful to soak the nuts first, for about 3-4 hrs, then reduce water by about 1/2 cup.

2. Kris says:

Try putting the nuts in a bag and pounding them down first.

9. Ann says:

Katie and Dreena, this looks incredible. I hadn’t heard of that book, but with two kids at home and we’re all trying to go vegan, it might be the perfect book for us. I will have to check it out!

10. This looks interesting. I am not a big cheese person, but I sometimes find the taste of nuts in savory dishes to be off-putting.

11. Hannah says:

I LOVE mac and cheese. And, I have to agree that there are a lot of crummy substitutes out there. I used a similar recipe for Thanksgiving this year and loved it! I am definitely going to have to try this variation.

12. You could also add nutritional yeast to make it even more “cheesy”!

13. Verenique B says:

mmm! i love macaroni & cheese!!! been have craving for it alot recnlty! this recipe looks delish!
    mmm childhood fav comfort food, would have to go with mac & cheese and chiken nuggets(the frozen kind you cook in oven) & fries
    wonderful memeories from my childhood eating these things i dnt eat hardly at all now

14. This looks great! My husband and daughter love macaroni and cheese. Most recipes, call for nutrtional yeast. I like that this one is a bit different. Can’t wait to try it.

15. I love Mac n cheese! But my favorite comfort food is definitely my mom’s matzoh ball soup! Love it!

16. Kate M. says:

Yumm! I love mac and cheese :)
    I was wondering if you (katie) or anyone else, has any go-to meals for vegetarians…I am having a hard time coming up with variety! And while I do love pb&j…I am definitely needing some different lunch and dinner ideas! Thanks 😀

17. Carolyn says:

Loving that there’s no nutritional yeast! I’ll be making these when the kiddos are on winter break (my oldest kiddo is allergic to dairy and really, really, really misses cheese).

1. Carolyn, my hubby doesn’t like the nooch, so that’s one of the reasons I came up with a mac casserole that doesn’t have any – hope you enjoy! :)

18. Feel free to send me some…. 😉

19. Anonymous says:

Love this recipe and have made it often! People always ask for the recipe. My favourite variation is to sub tahini for the brazil nuts. Love the cheesy taste of tahini and it is sometimes easier to find than Brazil nuts.

1. Kelley says:

Thanks – I was actually going to ask if anything could be subbed for the Brazil nuts. I don’t think my store has them.

1. Hi Kelly, yes, I did a nut-free version of this recipe (there are some additional notes in the full recipe) – you can find it here: 😀

2. Anonymous says:

Just wondering how much Tahini you woulduse to replace the brazil nuts?

3. Susan Risdal says:

Tahini sounds fabulous! Now I can make this tonight. I’m making my own pasta (for the first time without wheat) from eggs, spinach, salt and oat flour. It won’t be macaroni — but it will be noodles!

20. joanna says:

this is my favorite mac and cheese recipe! i made it about 4-5 years ago when i saw it on dreena’s blog and i’ve made it ever since. it definitely has a different texture than a typical cheese sauce but the nutty flavor is awesome.

21. laura says:

I can’t even remember the last time I had mac’n cheese! I must give this a try, I’m surprised there’s no nutritional yeast in it.

1. Hi Laura, that’s the very reason I created this recipe – to make a mac that didn’t have nooch as the flavor component – b/c a lot of people don’t like it (my hubby included)! :-/ But, if you love it, feel free to add a few tbsps!

22. Joanna says:

I love the name of this recipe! I also love using cashews and lemon juice as cheese subs (especially in vegan cheesecakes *wink, wink*).

23. Kristen N. says:

This recipe is so delicious! It’s a shame that it’s too high in calories. :(

24. Dr. Rebekah says:

I have a serious question…why, as a vegan, would you be trying to recreate non-vegan foods?? It baffles me why one would make a choice to eat nothing related to an animal but still try to make foods that taste like them. Not hating…seriously trying to understand the point of it!! Thanks for obliging….

1. Crafty Vegan says:

I can understand why that would baffle some people :) Personally, I don’t eat animal products because I don’t want to contribute to the suffering of animals. But I have nothing against eating tasty food! If I can recreate something that tastes great, but doesn’t cause unnecessary suffering, then I don’t see a problem there :) And I know a lot of people avoid animal products due to allergies, so it would be nice for them to still be able to eat the foods they miss =]

1. Anonymous says:

Pretty much what Crafty Vegan said. Many of use are vegan for both ethical and health reasons and many simply for ethical reasons. So if we can ethically eat the foods we used to love, then heck, why not? :). I know I sure appreciate being able to indulge in things like pudding, baked goods, mac n’ cheeze, coconut whipped cream etc knowing that it’s not only much healthier for me, but so much better for the animals. We all win! 😀

2. Hi Dr. Rebekah, I understand this sentiment, I became vegan almost 20 years ago, before all the vegan replacement foods were on the market. So, I created this recipe as a macaroni comfort food, with no intention to try to make it like a macaroni and cheese recipe – that’s why the base is made with nuts rather than using vegan cheese/creams – to give a very creamy, luscious, rich sauce that is delicious in its own right rather than trying to ‘be’ like a dairy-based dish. Like you, I have never felt the need to make vegan foods like animal-based foods… rather, I feel the need to make vegan dishes that are full of flavor, texture, and deliciousness, while still healthy! :)

1. Also, I must note that I understand when people DO want to ‘veganize’ something, just because it was a cherished food through childhood, part of their cultural traditions, or to transition into eating vegan with ‘familiar’ foods that are cruelty-free!

2. Susan Risdal says:

Deena, I agree. I’m not a vegetarian — I am allergic to any part of the cow. Also soy. I quit wheat to lose weight (lost 20 lbs in 2 months).

Certain foods are “traditional” because generations of people have enjoyed the flavors. They are classics because the flavor appeal will always endure. Mac and Cheese is definitely one of those…probably the one I miss the most, even after 20 years of being off of dairy. Hmmm, the other one is pizza.
        Wonder how this recipe would work as a substitute for cheese on pizza?

3. It’s a very loose sauce, Susan, so it’s not a good sub for pizza. I do have a ‘cashew cheese’ recipe in LTEV that is great on pizza tho, plus a ‘vegveeta dip’!

25. I’ve always wondered how to go about making a vegan mac’n’cheese. I once made it with mashed/creamy sweet potatoes, and that was really delicious, but I’m open to trying new ideas.

26. I love when Mac n cheese is dense, like a piece of cake. That looks soooo yummy. I’m surprised there’s no nutritional yeast in it. Delish!

27. April says:

Hi Katie! Great post! :) I’ve always wanted to try a vegan mac and cheese but I’ve never gotten around to it. I’ve found a lot of amazing looking recipes though! If you’re looking for an exquisitely authentic one, I definitely recommend Miyako from the Vegan Manifesto’s book, Vegan Artisan cheeses. She teaches you how to culture nuts and vegan yogurts using rejuvelac to make the most authentic tasting cheese! I’ve tried several of her recipes and my entire family was impressed with how real they taste! I haven’t personally tried the mac and cheese recipe in her book, but I feel very confident recommending it! :)

28. Chelan Shepherd says:

I am so excited about this! I haven’t found a mac ‘n’ cheese recipe yet that doesn’t call for nutritional yeast (which gives me a headache). Thank you!

29. Ricki says:

I have Dreena’s book, too, and I LOVE it!! I’ve made the Mac Oh Geez and swooned as well. I’ve never made a Dreena recipe that wasn’t fabulous! And what a great photo–now I feel like going and making it again!! 😀

30. Dawn Laughlin says:

Makes my mouth water just looking at it!

Katie….I think the next contest you promote should be a trip to one of our houses (mine) to cook for us (me) all day!! :)

31. Brandie says:

Yo! Firstly… I LOVE Dreena and can’t wait to try this recipe! Been waiting for the recipe… Secondly, and… I just HAVE to say this: Doesn’t it bother you to hear “Oh what is that, fake mac n cheese?” Or “fake” (whatever you’re eating)? It does to me. Because, yeah, I eat REAL food. It just isn’t ANIMAL food. I know you know what I mean… but, when you then write something like “it’s so good you’ll swear you were eating ‘the real thing’…” When what you mean is that “you’ll think you’re eating cow cheese”?? I hope this isn’t coming across too harshly!

It just really bothers me to perpetuate the idea that food made animal products is “real food” and that somehow vegan alternatives are “fake”. Our food is just as REAL, it’s just made with different ingredients. And is loads healthier anyway! I’d argue to say that the recipes I make, with WHOLE food ingredients is more “real” than some of the stuff found in the packaged/boxed/bagged (mainstream) counterparts.

Ok, I’ll step down now – I just had to share that opinion. And NO offense meant either – cause – you KNOW I love you Katie!!! Love love love love. :)

1. Kate says:

I totally agree with you! Vegan food is not fake food. It’s just yummy food that doesn’t cause suffering.

32. kimthevegan says:

Oh my goodness that looks so super tasty!
    My favourite “comfort” food for my childhood/teenage hood and well into my twenties was actually Kraft Dinner. And it was also the hardest thing for me to give up when I went vegan. I have a version I make, but I like the look of this for a nice change.

33. holy cheezy goodness that looks amazing! i love mac and cheese too!

34. Jewel says:

This recipe looks DELICIOUS! Katie, you are one of my favorite bloggers. I just made a new blog myself and linked to you, because I know my friends will LOVE your recipes. Thanks for such amazing content, all the time! :)

1. Aw thanks, Jewel. Good luck with your new blog!

35. This may sound odd, but my comfort food is fried rice! It is just so salty with veggies… so yum :).

1. Brandie says:

I love rice too 😉 I don’t actually eat all that much pasta – but I can eat rice every day, super yum!

36. There are so many fantastic recipes in LTEV that I’ve had trouble deciding which ones to make! The Mac oh Geez does sound very enticing, though, and your pictures make it look absolutely drool-worthy. I love that this recipe uses brazil nuts and cashews to lend creaminess, rather than the usual tofu or other soy-based product. I can’t think of any specific comfort foods from when I was younger – maybe soft pretzels with grainy mustard? Nowadays, sweet potatoes are definitely my go-to, along with chocolate, of course!

37. Alyx says:

Looks so delicious! :) I will try it very soon! I was wondering if you could try to make a healthy pound cake?? I love pound cake, but it has so much sugar! Thanks Katie :)

38. Kristy Kat Creamer says:

I will very likely be making this sometime this week for myself. I only need to pick up the raw nuts. I miss mac n cheese so very much, YOU likely have an idea how much. I have tried several “cheeseless” versions, and yeah. They are nasty. What I am genuinely hoping for, is that I can fool my family. I am fully allergic to milk. They are all fine, and just feel sorry for me. This has turned out to be, albeit immensely difficult, a blessing in disguise. Homemade means from scratch more often then not now. It is most definitely better for my whole family. My children are getting more vegetables, as is my uber picky husband. Even shocked an uncle at Thanksgiving with a vegan pumpkin dip. :)
    I am hoping to be able to tell you to sing your friend praises from me. I’ll let you know 😀
    Thanks in advance skinnyminichocolatecoveredKatie!

Kat Creamer

39. Karen says:

Thank you for the cookbook recommendation.

As much as I love your site, I am also interested in non-sweet vegan meal ideas, and this sounds like a terrific option as we limit our processed foods. I am making a trip to Barnes and Nobles today and will have to look for the book.

Thanks Katie!

40. Kelley says:

I would need to do this gluten free. I have a bag of Tinkyada pasta in the pantry. If anyone tries this with it (or any other GF pasta), can you post how long you boiled it before going into the oven? I’ve never baked with gluten free pasta before so not sure about the timing.

1. Hi Kelley, I always make this dish with brown rice pasta – all the time! You cook it until it is just about tender, then drain and combine with the sauce. There will look like there is TOO much sauce, and you will think I am crazy for creating a recipe that seems like it’s not going to work… but the sauce thickens and the pasta absorbs more of the sauce while baking! There are some extra notes in the full recipe, here:

1. Anonymous says:

Can you tell me which brand you use and how long you boil it for? I haven’t gotten the hang of gf pasta yet.

41. L. says:

Yum! I can’t wait to try this… My favorite child comfort food was Kraft Mac and Cheese. (But this seems MUCH healthier and cruelty free.)

42. Jacque Foster says:

Sliced bananas swimming in heavy cream. I was really tiny and skinny, so my mom was always serving me things to (try to) fatten me up…try not to hurl, but this included liver & bacon, liverwurst sandwiches and the above, fruit swimming in whipping cream. To this day, whenever I smell real cream, I am transported right back into the kitchen of my childhood home. (I go out of my way not to ever smell liver or liverWORST, though still don’t mind the smell of bacon. And I still sneak real cream into my hot tea on occasion…don’t hate me. :)

43. kim says:

Curious – are there any substitutions (other than the nut free version) for the Brazil Nuts? I cant find them here …

1. Yes, Kim – there are additional notes with substitutions in the full recipe, here: :)

44. Nuts! Thats the secret! Oh my gosh! Unbelieveable! I am not a vegan, yet I am intrigued by the recipe! I must make it!!!

45. Genius :) Mac and cheese is practically a staple in my household and I think this looks like an incredible substitute!

46. robert says:

Chocolate is the best!

47. Ed says:

Looks awesome…mac and cheese is one of the best sides for the holidays…I had to read the recipe twice to make sure there was no cheese in it..amazing!

48. Wow, I can’t believe that interesting concoction of ingredients all come together to make this “cheesy” deliciousness. Mind. Blown. I’m not vegan, but this looks so darn good and I’m so curious about how this tastes that I just might need to whip me up a batch of this! 😀

49. Camille says:

Yum!! Mac and Cheese is my FAV comfort food and I WILL give this one a try. I have a simple go to easy mac and cheese that I use:
    make a roux with margerine and flour–add in your fav milk (I like So Delicious coconut milk or Silk almond for this) until you have a thick white sauce — add in 1 heaping tablespoon on nutritional yeast and 1 tablespoons of dijon mustard–stir and pour over cooked mac–really yummy!

50. Karen says:

What I love about this recipe is the fact there is NO nutritional yeast. I am definitely going to give this recipe a try!

51. I’m totally intrigued by this!! Mac and cheese is my favorite food of all time and I’d love to try this and see how it is!

52. Laura says:

Hi Katie!
    Just wanted to share some love. I first saw one of your recipes on my high school friend’s blog (lilveggiepatch) and have been following your posts ever since! Thanks for being awesome.
    Laura :-)

53. Katie says:

Ahh love the idea!

54. Lacey says:

I’ve been wanting to try recipes using the soaked cashew method and since I love mac & cheese I think I’ll start with this one!

55. VeegMama says:

I can’t wait to try this – and the cookbook!

56. Lindsay says:

YUM! That looks amazing! I am not vegan, but love your recipes… I made mac n’ cheese with quinoa instead of pasta last week… I’m dying to try your recipe with the quinoa for pasta substitution!

57. Madeleine says:

I have never been a big fan of mac & cheese, but perhaps I will give this one a try.

58. Métilde says:

Hi Katie,

I was in a process of being vegan and I found your blog. Since then I can’t stop doing your cookies and pies (and I wasn’t so much a cooker before 😉 I had stop eating desert for so long because was always so affraid with the amount of eggs or sugar! But now, I’m enjoying it again!
    Thanks a lot and keep sharing nice and simple recipes with us. Happy to entered the book give-away and gonna see if I can find it i Ireland!

59. Claudia says:

What a nice looking book! I would love to win some vegan inspiration. (I like the recipe too :D).

60. keira says:

can’t wait to try this!!!

61. Jenn says:

I cannot wait to try this! Thank you for all your great recipes…I’m about to go in the kitchen and make the eggnog protein shake for my son…and I sure hope I win the cookbook. 😉

62. Shayla says:

I never in a million years would have thought of this!

63. tricia says:

looks yummy! i love that there are no artificial cheeses in this recipe! i cant wait to try it!!

64. Kelly Dickinson says:

I’ve been CRAVING Mac n Cheese. I think it’s time to give in to it 😉
    Thank you so much for your recipes, you’ve made me feel so much better and have more energy. I’m an endurance swimmer and runner, and thanks to your recipes I haven’t been having trouble with my injuries! Thanks Katie!

65. Karen Jung says:

Ooooo,this looks delicious! And sadly I haven’t made mac and cheese in ages upon ages, so I am going to have to change that lol. I’m def going to be making a trip to the store to pick up some ingredients! Can’t wait to make and eat it! :)

66. Jennifer says:

Yum :) just had mac n’ cheese for lunch today!

67. Bre says:

This looks so interesting!! Can’t wait to try, also hoping to win a great cookbook! :]

68. Am says:

Cool! I am so glad you shared this recipe! It looks great, and I am really excited to try it! Macaroni and cheese has long been a favorite food. 😀 Thanks for the giveaway contest, too!

69. Kristina says:

I’ve made a similar recipe to this before and it is magnificent! I add nutritional yeast to create a cheesier taste. I am also Gluten free and I can attest to buckwheat pasta working very well with vegan mac & cheese recipes! I like the suggestion of adding butternut squash too! Happy Vegan cooking :)

70. Rachael says:

Mmm yum! I would love to see the other great recipes in that new book!

71. Rosalie says:

As a certified tahini addict, the nut-free version sounds amazing!

72. Alysha says:

Looks amazing as always! I’m excited to make it and eat it with my university friends who are always eating Kraft Dinner Mac n’ Cheese. It will be so nice to be included with a dairy free, gluten free version that actually tastes good!

73. Sabrina says:

My mom and I have been looking for a good mac and cheese recipe!!!!!! We’ve tried probably 3 different ones and they’re all ok but I’m so excited to make this tonight!!!!!!!!! FINALLY :D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

74. Caroline says:

wow! I can’t wait to try this!

75. Kat says:

This does look delicious… I find classic mac and cheese too heavy, so this might be solution :)

76. Amanda C. says:

That sounds DELISH. :)

77. Laura says:

I’ve been meaning to try Soul Veg for a while!
    I’m excited to try this recipe.

78. Cori says:

Certainly looks yummy

79. Kristine B says:

This looks good! Can’t wait to try!

80. Tori says:

Sounds good!

81. Rebecca says:

That looks amazing! I usually just do daiya/cream cheese/nutritional yeast. SO GOOD, but I’ll be sure to try out your breadcrumb topping.

82. amy says:

My son has been begging for mac and cheese. Thank you!

83. Jamie says:

This looks so good!!

84. McKenna says:

Looks good! Not sure what would give it the cheese taste but definitely willing to try. Thanks!

85. Kelly Michele says:

i gave up dairy within this past year – and mac and cheese is the food i miss most!

86. Lindsey MM says:

I do really like vegan mac n cheeses. Thank you for sharing this recipe, I look forward to making it :)

87. corrina says:

this looks so good! so much better than my usual vegan mac and cheese recipe!

88. Sara says:

I can’t wait to try this! I have Christmas tree shaped pasta and I have been waiting for the perfect recipe to use it with.

89. Rita says:

This looks yummy :) I’ve looking forever for a vegan mac n cheese recipe that didn’t need vegan cheese, because that is really hard to find in Portugal… and very expensive as well.
    I don’t know if I can enter the cookbook giveaway since I don’t live in the States, but I hope so. I can pay for the shipping if I win 😀

90. Elisabeth Edwards says:

Definitely a must try! This looks delicious :)

91. Maleia says:

I have been a vegetarian for 7 years now and slowly have been incorporating vegan into my diet. I have to agree with you mac and cheese (or just cheese) is my number one weakness in switching over completely. Can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks Katie!

92. MegP says:

This looks amazing! Using the cashews and Brazil nuts would give it such a nice texture and flavour. An added bonus that it can be made gluten free so easily too!

93. Sophie D says:

Oooohh yum :) Must try this over the holidays!

94. Jamie says:

This looks delicious! I would love her cookbook. I still can’t wait for yours. :)

95. Lisa says:

This looks great! I have always wanted to try a cashew based cheese sauce! :)

96. Anonymous says:

I could have lived off of puppy chow! Cereal with peanut butter chocolate and sugar :) it was amazing

97. Noelle says:

Omg looks delish! For a while now I’ve wanted to become vegan, but I love cheese soo much! However, after seeing this post it might not be so hard to give up after all :)

98. Michelle says:

This looks awesome — I love the addition of nuts! It’s sad that you have to justify the nutrition in everything! If people don’t like the calories/fat/sugar etc, they don’t have to eat it! 😉 I suppose it’s better to address it beforehand instead of waiting for a criticism to pop up. Thanks for the hard work into putting nutritional info up. I really appreciate it! :-)

99. Bethany says:

I love the look of this! I’m recovering from Anorexia and cheese is a HUGE fear of mine! So this will be a good stepping stone to the real thing! Thank you Katie! You have come to the rescue once again!
    And the cookbook looks wonderful! If I don’t win, I might have to check it out of the library! :)

100. April says:

This is so genius! Who would’ve known you could make this using those ingredients?!

101. Karoliina says:

Mmm, tasty. I substituted pecan nuts for brazil nuts, corn starch for arrowroot and used oat milk. It came out so good even my die-hard cheese eater man requested seconds!

1. Marionette says:

Did you substitute the arrowroot power with an equal measurement of corn starch, and did you do anything else to accommodate for this substitution such as baking time or tweaking other ingredients?

1. Karoliina says:

I used equal measures corn starch and didn’t change much else. Modified the bake time a bit because I used oat pasta, and that cooks in half the time.

102. Nicole says:

Being gluten free and vegan I’m always looking for good reciepes that I can tweak. Killer mac n cheese is so hard to find.

103. Hard to believe that this is vegan!

104. cindy pope says:

Looks wonderful!

105. Kelly J. R. says:

I’m planning on making this on Sunday. Yum! Thanks for the chance to win the cookbook!

106. Devon says:

Sounds delicious! Can’t wait to try it.

107. Jenn F. says:

I’d love to try this recipe and cookbook!

108. Christine D says:

This recipe just could be what I was looking for… I just figured out that my 16-month old is allergic to dairy but his favorite non-broccoli food is mac and cheese. Now he can still have it! (He is not allergic to nuts, thankfully.) Thank you for sharing!

109. Mariah says:

This is SO on my list of MUST MAKES! Now this cookbook is on my wishlist too!

110. Ellen says:

Can’t wait to try this!

111. Emily says:

This looks so delicious! I cannot wait to try it out. I always have trouble finding recipes that I can make with two of my best friends that are vegan. Another reason why I love your site!

112. Jackie says:

My family is vegetarian, but I try to sneak in vegan recipes as often as possible. I’d love to own a copy of this cookbook!

113. Angela I. says:

I think my roommate would LOVE this cookbook :) I wanna give it to her!

114. Emily says:

I’d love to win Dreena’s book!

115. Kaitlyn says:

This looks good… but I’m still skeptical about not real cheese. I tried a similar recipe once that had cashews, soymilk, and nutritional yeast and I ended up having to throw it out (which I hate doing and never do!). At the time I thought it might have been the soymilk that I didn’t like in that recipe (I like soymilk plain and in other things, but perhaps it added a weird flavor to the sauce)? Yours looks so good though… I think I might give it one more shot! (Also, I’d love to win that cookbook!)

116. Emily says:

Looks interesting! Can’t wait to try it. :)

117. Emily says:

This sounds so good! Can’t wait to try it! I love experimenting with different vegan macaroni and cheese recipes, and this one is unique because there’s no nutritional yeast- the ones that I’ve tried always have NY as the main ingredient for the sauce!

118. JaLynn says:

I can relate to eating different food at the Holiday dinner table. This sounds like it would be good to try.

119. Emily says:

Mac and cheese is definitely my favorite comfort food as well!

120. Veronica K says:

I need to make this asap!

121. Katie G. says:

Over the past several months, I’ve been flirting with the vegan diet. It’s better for our bodies, the planet, and animals. I know this, and yet I’ve had a hard time focusing on it and giving up some of the foods I love. Next to pizza, macaroni and cheese has been the hardest to give up. I’ve tried a couple of vegan mac and cheese recipes that were edible but not all that great. I’m definitely excited to try this one, especially because of the lack of nooch. If this is as delicious as it seems like it will be, I might have also found a way to convince my boyfriend to make the switch with me. 😀

122. Miet says:

Looks delicious!

123. Aliza C. says:

Looks delicious!

124. kristina says:

I’m dying to try this recipe! I havent had mac n cheese in at least 10 years!

125. Lauren says:

Yum! Looks delicious

126. Le says:

It really looks delicious! I’ve never tried Brazil nuts but I do have a jar of tahini in my pantry waiting to be opened and I might just have to try the nut-free version first, which also sounds really good!

127. Rosalie says:

This looks awesome! I was just going to ask if there was something I could sub for the Brazil nuts and then I realized that Dreena herself already answered this question. I love a vegan creamy-ish pasta dish.

128. sgk91 says:

i want a cookbook! :)

129. Jill Valgos says:

I’ve been looking for a non dairy Mac and cheese for my son. This looks like it may be it ! Can’t wait to try it out.

130. Sara says:

The cookbook and this recipe look amazing!

131. Susan says:

This looks awesome! I was surprised there was no nooch but I’m thinking that this may actually make it more appealing to omnis. Thanks for the recipe! :)

132. Gi says:

Your friend was very generous in letting us peek through her book… but it surely enhanced our curiosity!!
    Can’t wait to see if i’ll be able to win this giveaway… (:

133. Esther says:

looks great!

134. Faye says:

Favorite childhood (and current!) comfort food = mashed potatoes, hands down!

135. Julianna Perkins says:

this looks amazing!! I totally missed mac and cheese when i went vegan, I have got to try this! Once again you have my mouth watering!!

136. Emily says:

Looks terrific!

137. P says:

Absolutely THE best comfort food. Never gets old :) can’t wait to try this, thanks!

138. P says:

Absolutely THE best comfort food. Never gets old can’t wait to try this, thanks!

139. Danielle says:

i’m about to make butternut mac and cheese for dinner.

140. Kalyn says:

That mac and cheese recipe looks like the best vegan one I’ve ever seen!

141. Dana says:

I’m so intrigued by the idea of making mac and cheese without.. well, cheese (or the usual cheese substitutes haha). I will def have to try this, thanks for posting it! :)

142. Priya says:

I’ve never been a fan of mac n cheese (especially the Kraft boxed one) but the pics in your post make it look so delectable! I’m gonna save this recipe for a rainy afternoon.

143. Melanie Powers says:

YUM! I cant wait for finals to end so I can cook this for my family!!!! We love mac and cheese but stopped eating it…Thanks Katie for sharing this from the cookbook! You and Dreena are the best! xo

144. Denae says:

Your blog has helped to see vegan eating can be tasty. Love to learn more about it.

145. Erin Nichols says:

Oooooo…this looks super yummy! I can’t wait to try it!

146. tiffany says:

looks delicious…would love the cookbook so that i can try out more recipes like this!

147. Lindsay says:

Must make for my sister, who loves mac and cheese and has been looking for a healthier version for awhile!

148. julia says:

Great to see a vegan mac and cheese without gross flavourless soy cheese

149. RBee says:

Looks yummy! My faves as a kid were mashed potatoes covered with this noodle chicken soupy thing my mom made. Sounds weird but it was oh so good.

150. Renata says:

Mac ‘n cheese is my favorite! I wish I weren’t allergic to cashews :(

1. Renata, I have a nut-free version in the full recipe, here:

151. Kate P says:

i’ve never really tried cooking with cashews before, but i definitely want to try this!

152. Raizel says:

Yummm, I love Mac-n-cheese! This is definitely being filed on my list of things to make once I’m back home to my kitchen (dorms do not provide adequate kitchen space)!

153. Marita says:

This looks soooo good! I have to try it. Thanks for sharing. :-)

154. Amanda says:

Since going paleo (meatless paleo, if that’s a thing) and finding out I have celiac, mac & cheese is a thing of the past. But I still want the cookbook! Not everything has to have wheat in it. :)

155. Erika says:

I’m excited to try this!

156. Hannah says:

Sounds amazing!

157. Tyler G. says:

Going to try this tonight :)
    Pictures are making me hungry now though :/

158. Un-freaking-believable! I love the idea of not using vegan cheese. Fake cheese freaks me out for some reason.

159. anita says:

Gotta try this! I’m happy to see that it has no tofu/cheese substitutes also.

160. Ashley says:

Looks delicious! I definitely need to try this, I love mac and cheese!

161. dtr3 says:

Unfortunately, all foods are comfort foods to me.

162. This looks soooo good. Wish I wasn’t allergic to nuts!
    P.S. Thanks for the cookbook giveaway!

1. Jen E says:

This bites for you I normally use a Vegan Hollandaise Sauce for mac and cheese if you search on google you should find a good one or I can post a recipe. You can use any plant milk for it too :)

1. Awesome, thanks for the tip!

163. Cecile says:

I’m really curious… I’m not vegan, but I’m always up for new tastes and new challenges. I’m not a huge fan of tofu (or any other soy product) and I am very suspicious about cheese substitutes. DH is following a lactose-free, nut-rich diet, so I have to try this recipe :)

164. Sophie says:

Yay! What a great giveaway!
    I’d love a copy of Dreena’s book!

165. AC says:

I’d love to see this book. I need a new favorite comfort food since Finnish pancakes are definitely not vegan or gluten free, and I haven’t been able to make anything like them.

166. Cindy says:

Love. love, love! Please enter me.

167. I’ve never tried anything quite like this, but it looks delicious! I love baked pasta dishes because they are so easy. I would love this cookbook!!

168. Kaylie says:

This recipe is great for rainy day comfort! You could use this as a based and add something to it easily in order to fancy-it-up!

169. Anna says:

Nice! Also love that there is no tofu as I can’t eat it :)

170. Rachel Ki says:

My fave comfort foods…Korean sweet potatoes or Ferrero Rochers 😉

171. Nicole W. says:

This looks yummy!!

172. Lindsay says:

Thank you for posting this! I’ve been looking for a recipe recommendation that doesn’t utilize faux-cheese! :)

173. HCT says:

Thanks for all the recipes!

174. laura says:

How awesome! Great season for comfort food.

175. Sandy says:

You’re a genius–mac ‘n’ cheese has been my most-missed food since going (mostly) vegan around a year ago.

176. Heather says:

Sounds delicious! Would love to see what else is in that cookbook!

177. Taya says:

I can’t wait to try this…I haven’t had mac ‘n cheese for years!

178. Beth says:

This looks absolutely delicious. I can’t wait to try it!!!! Then again, this time of year, EVERY mac and cheese recipe looks delicious….

179. m says:

this looks so delicious!!

180. I tried the Vegan Mac and Cheese at Homeroom in Oakland, CA and it was delicious!
    Here’s a link :
    Your version looks yummy- can’t wait to try it out. Thanks for all your great recipes!

181. Ashley says:

This looks so great! Can’t wait to try it with my sisters! :)

182. Andie says:

YES!!! I have been SO excited for this recipe…..I am exactly the same way..i ate mac ‘n cheese 24/7 when I was little!
    P.S. Thank you for the giveaway opportunity!

183. Sarah says:

This looks completely amazing! I haven’t had mac and cheese for so long because I try not to eat things loaded with cheese and butter, but I could totally eat this! Is there anyway I could sub in another type of nut beside cashews? Would mayble almonds or walnuts work?

184. hanne says:

my favorite childhood foods were just mashed potatoes plus mashed peas and mashed carrots….anything mashed basically 😉

185. Ashley says:

This looks really intriguing!

186. Ella Smith says:

Yummy and good for the tummy!

187. Sonja says:

Never tried brazil nuts in a mac and cheese…probably delicious, but sometimes they upset my stomach. Still, I’d like to try it eventually.

188. Leslie Paquette says:

Yum, that looks delish. I’ll definitely be making that recipe soon.

189. McKenna S says:

190. Laura says:

Yum, I’ve tried a lot of cashew-based mac & cheeses, but never one that uses Brazil nuts.

191. Cassy says:

I have tried for years to interest my kids in mac n cheese. So far that have refused to eat any variety I have made (which is strange because they all love pasta and cheese), and I miss eating it. I will have to try this version.

192. LJ Briar says:

My husband and I are not strict vegans/vegetarians by any means, but for health and environmental reasons, we are making a concentrated effort to make more vegetarian and vegan meals at home right now, and this is definitely the next one up right after we finish the vegan meatloaf I made yesterday.

193. Karmalily says:

I’m really interested in trying this recipe because of the absence of nutritional yeast. I crave vegan mac & cheese all the time, and I don’t always have nooch on hand. But I always have these ingredients on hand.

194. Monica says:

get in my bellllyyyyyyy

195. Violet says:

Arg those raw nuts are so darned expensive. I’m keeping this bookmarked for when I start my job!

196. Kelly says:

Yay! Very excited to try… I still eat the very cheesy, not so healthy version! Thanks Katie!

197. Michele says:

looks delicious and can’t wait to try it.

198. This look delicious. I can’t wait to try it.

Thank you Katie for the giveaway of Dreena’s cookbook :)

1. shirley says:

loved the recipe

199. Christina says:

Looks great! Also looks like I need to buy a better blender 😛

200. Stacey says:

Just starting to try to eat vegan a few days a week, and this recipe looks awesome! I would love the cookbook to jumpstart a vegan lifestyle.

201. Kristi says:

Would love to get this cookbook!

202. Helen says:

I have to say, I am not a huge fan of mac and cheese (too much cheese), but I think I might actually enjoy this version. Cashews sound yummy 😀

203. Emily says:

I can’t wait to be done with finals and be able to try some fun new recipes!

204. Allie says:

Yum I can’t wait to try

205. Maryz says:

Mac and Cheese is my #1 comfort food! I’m excited to give this a try!

206. Michal says:

looks YUMMY!

207. Xanthe says:

This is great. My son can’t eat dairy and is very allergic to soy so normal mac n cheese options are out. This is worth a try thanks!

208. laura says:

looks like a great recipe, easy to make some adjustments to turn it into a GF dish as well, and Katie you shouldn’t feel like you need to justify posting the nutritional content, I completely agree with you that nuts are one of the healthiest fat sources, and eating everything is moderation is key, not worrying about counting every calorie :)

209. Mona says:

omg! this looks so good!
    I usually never eat American food like mac and cheese, but when I do, I want it to be healthier but yummy! 😀

210. Jenn says:

I would LOVE to have this cookbook! Yummm!!!

211. Michal says:

looks GOOD!

212. Ruta says:

Ohhhh yum. I’m not even vegan and that looks good!

213. Hannah says:

There’s absolutely nothing better than mac and cheese.

214. LeighAnn says:

YUM!! just need to find me some nutritional yeast now

215. Katherine says:

That looks yummy! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

216. Cai says:

I. Love. Your. Simple. Entry.

But if there were pages to like, I’d like them. 😉
    I love your blog!!

217. Sarah says:

Love that you have a sauce free of nutritional yeast. Thanks. Can’t wait to try it!

218. Evelyn R says:

Thanks for the giveaway! I would love to try more vegan recipes.

219. JC says:

hands down the number one childhood comfort food would be grilled cheese and tomato soup!

220. Dawn says:

Love the concept of veganism…Not sure I can do it all out.

221. signe says:

that looks yummy!

222. Nicole Miller says:

Katie, please don’t enter me in the contest as I already own this cookbook, I just wanted to tell everyone who wishes for a chance to win it that this cookbook iis amaaaaaazing! Her recipes are great, especially the desserts (me and my sweet tooth;)), and they’re also suprisingly healthy. Whoever wins this book, I recommended trying the recipe is Apple-of-my-Eye pie. When I served that dish for Thanksgiving, my omnivorous family told me that that apple pie was one of the best things they have ever tasted. Even if you don’t win, go buy it! It’s 100% worth the money.

223. Katy says:

Looks amazing! Going to try it tonight :) So nice to see a mac and cheese recipe without that fake cheese that always seems to have a high chance of tasting like cardboard…:)

224. Laura says:

Soo many different vegan Mac&Cheese recipes out there, but this one looks really good using nuts! Must try!

225. SWEET BABY MAC & CHEESUS. Dinner is served. …….. maybe breakfast too >:)

226. K.E says:

need to try this! looks amazing :)
    is there any other nut substitutions for this other than tahini though?

227. Laura Kelly says:

This is my comment to enter the give-away!

228. Amanda says:

I would love to win the cookbook. I’m always trying to find healthy recipes for all meals.

229. Megan says:

I am soooo excited about this mac and cheese recipe!

230. Amy says:

Can’t wait to try this. I’ve tried one vegan Mac and cheese but this one looks so much better. My kids will be happy to be taste testers!

231. Claudia says:

I was sitting in my dorm room WISHING my roommate was not allergic to nuts and then I saw that there is a nut free version! I am SO excited to try this!!

232. MC says:

Oh, me and my family would love this cookbook! My little girls (age 2 and 5) love Mac and Cheese and I’d love to enjoy Dreena’s recipes as a whole family, Thanks Katie

233. Heidi Lynn says:

I never had mac & cheese even before I decided to be vegan. No particular reason why, just never have. I’m looking forward to trying this recipe tonight!

234. Molly says:

Would love this cookbook!

235. Lise says:

I will have to try this recipe sometime. And I would love to win the Vegan cookbook. Thx

236. Taran says:

This looks wonderful! Especially for a new vegan like me! Can’t wait to try it! If it wins over the kiddos I’ll be ecstatic!

237. Adrienne says:

So excited to try some mac without yeast flakes. I have a recipe I really like, though. Maybe a side-by-side comparison? Would love this cookbook!

238. Samantha says:

I may be more likely to try the tahini version because I love that stuff so much, but cashew sauce is also a favorite. Maybe I will try both and compare.

239. Melissa says:

I’m really excited to try this recipe! I recently tried a different vegan mac ‘n cheeze recipe that didn’t turn out so well, so I’ve been looking for a different one to try, and this one looks great!

240. Becca says:

Can’t wait to try it! Maybe with some crushed red pepper! yum!

241. Annmarie says:

First time commenting but I love all of your recipes! I’ve made quite a few and they’re always so delicious :)

242. Laura W. says:

I bought all of the ingredients I need to make this awesome dish! Can’t wait to see what the family thinks :)

243. Heather says:

This looks amazing! I will have to try this recipe!

244. TcupPotbellyPig says:

This looks yummy/creamy/dreamy.

245. Lauren B. says:

My Great- Aunt Ann’s Mac n cheese is legendary in our family and always has the prime spot on the buffet table at Christmas, but my favorite comfort food is my Mom’s lasagna!

246. Anu says:

Would love to try recipes from this cookbook!

247. Justin says:

I am so fascinated with the fact that it tastes like cheese…without any!

248. Maggie says:

My diet is about 90% vegan, but I’m preparing for a switch to 100% – no more exceptions – on the first of the year. This makes it less daunting :)

249. This looks really good, I can’t wait to try it! I want to make it for my sister who loves cheese but is lactose intolerant. I’m sure she’d enjoy it! Thanks for the giveaway, Katie!

250. Hailey Kitt says:

Looks sooooo good!

251. Ali says:

This looks like a project for the holidays! Thanks Katie!

252. Jane says:

I haven’t eaten mac and cheese for so many years! Sounds delish.

253. Grace says:

This looks amazing!! I will make this once I get the ingredients!!

254. Michele says:

Can’t wait to try this! I love your recipes Katie!

255. Olivia says:

Looks AMAZING!!!!! I have to try it! I would love the cookbook, I have been trying to eat more vegan meals and that would help a lot!!

256. Katia says:

OMG I made this last night. SOOOO GOOD. I wanna win the book so that I can make vegan foods like this for my vegan sister! She eats so unhealthfully. This would most definitely help.

257. Rebekah says:

This looks fantastic! Must try soon.. Also, hoping to win the cookbook 😉

258. Megan says:

I don’t even like Mac and cheese but this I might have to try!

259. FranP says:

I’m looking forward to trying this recipe! This week is my first week of eating vegan. It can be a challenge at times, so I hope to win this cookbook and get some ideas for future meals!

260. Kristi says:

I hope my family will like this! It certainly looks delicious! I’m the only one who eats vegan, so it’s a struggle to find foods we all like.

261. Amanda says:

I love mac and cheese!!! This is awesome!!!!

262. Cassie Smith says:

Can’t wait to try this version without the nutritional yeast. I think I will add chopped onion as well. Getting hungry!! Thanks for great recipe

263. maia says:

yummy! mac and cheese has been my one craving since going vegan, definitely making this!

264. barbara says:

I would love that cookbook! so that I can try some of the yummy recipes!

265. Kristen says:

Sounds yum! Can’t wait to try it.

266. Lisa says:

I love Mac and Cheese!

267. Meghan says:

I’ve loved many of your dessert and non-dessert recipes, I can wait to try this one out!

Thank you for the holiday giveaways :)

268. Honeybird says:

Lol, isn’t your family jealous of you having Mac&Cheese all the time 😉 ?
    I’d love to try this! Especially since my sister has a new boyfriend who can’t have dairy-products (like cheese), and my sister actually loves the stuff. :)

269. EMC says:

Here I am debating on what to make for dinner and this post shows up… Bingo! :-)

270. Kat says:

Ew, I tried so many fake cheese products when I was off dairy, they were all so horrible. This is probably MUCH better for just leaving them out :) I’d love the cookbooks with all those yummy, healthy recipes!!

271. Kimberly says:

spaghetti is my comfort food.

272. Mia says:

Look so nice, can’t wait to try it. Macaroni and cheese are not that common in Sweden, and I thing it’s a pity.
    Thank you for à inspiring webb, so nice to eat tasty but healthy.

273. Amber says:

A mac ‘n cheese recipe without nutritional yeast? I’m sold! Definitely going to have to find a place for this recipe on my menu this month.

274. David Baron says:

Very interested in seeing more of the Vegan cookbook.

275. Julia says:

Yum! I would love a cookbook from the giveaway! I am a EXTREMELY AVID reader of this blog and it would literally mean more than the world if I ever got anything or even a Shoutout! Thank you for your amazing work!! 😀

276. Anonymous says:

That looks very tasty. I’m not usually a mac n’ cheese fan (Don’t hate me!), but the ingredients in that look great. Thanks for the recipe! I’ll have to try it, hopefully the gluten free version will turn out as good as yours looks.

277. EMC says:

And then it’s a giveaway too! Snazzy!

278. Looks delicious and I would love to get my hands on that cookbook!!!

279. Misty Swapp says:

This looks great. I have to admit, I’m not a big mac’ and cheese fan (Don’t hate me!) but the ingredients in this recipe look totally unique and delicious. Thanks!

280. Marquelle says:

Already made this and my whole family loves it!

281. Tayla Chase says:

Looks delicious! I absolutely LOVE Macaroni and Cheese!

282. Stella says:

I never really liked casseroles, but I might have to try this one!

283. Erin says:

I’ll be serving this for my son’t 5th Birthday at his request!

284. Lindsey says:

Looks delicious! Now off to buy some Brazil nuts…

285. Michael says:

This recipe looks super tasty… But would it still taste okay without the garlic and onion? I want to try this, but kind of like my M&C rather tame. :) I do love that it’s baked, as my great grandmother made a killer version that I’ve never even come close to replicating.

286. Katie says:

Looks delicious!

287. Jill W says:

What!? A cookbook giveaway? Awesome!!

288. Amber Simons says:

I’m excited for this recipe. Dreena makes great recipes, I have Eat Drink and Be Vegan and make recipes from it all the time (those white chocolate macadamia nut cookies are one of my favorites). I’m sure this is going to be great!! Thank you!! :)

289. Hailey says:

Dreena and you are both absolute geniuses. I’ve been dying to have one of her cookbooks! Thanks so much for the giveaway :) Also, I’ll have to try this mac and cheese! It’s my little sister’s favorite food, so I’d have to see how she takes a vegan version (maybe I won’t tell her and see if she can tell, shh!)

290. Danelle says:

This looks good! So many of your recipes sound amazing and I’ve tried a few as I continue my quest to eat healthier. (and a healthy cookbook would be helpful;)

291. Jaime Jones says:

Looks amazing! Since I have a crummy blender, I might try Dreena’s suggestion to soak the nuts first for 3-4 hrs and then reduce the water by about 1/2 cup.

292. Rachel Alexandra says:

I love mac and cheese SO SO SO much! Ill definitely be making this over the weekend :)

293. Dara says:

I have not eaten Mac and Cheese since my mom made it either out of the Kraft package or with Velveeta cheese.
    I really want to combine butternut squash mac n cheese and this recipe with a mixture of cashews and macadamia nuts….
    Oh I think I just created a new food experiment while I have my MONTH long break from grad school. YES! win.

294. Jessica says:

No cheese seems so foreign! But I did use almond milk the last time I made mac and cheese, so I’m sure the nuttiness would be tasty! I think I’m gonna try this the next time I decide to make mac and cheese.

295. Kathryn Shaffer says:

Wow! This looks sooooooooooo good! I can’t wait to try it! No tofu? Thanks!

296. Jerry says:

Yum- this looks absolutely delicious!

297. Crystal says:

This looks like HEAVEN!

298. Anna says:

This sounds similar to another vegan mac and cheese that I love- I can’t wait to try your version!

299. samantha says:

yum…looks good!

300. Nan says:

Macaroni was definitely a favorite of mine that I thought I would never be able to eat again!
    Thank you so much for this delicious looking recipe!

301. Rachel says:

I’m always scared to try any recipes like this but this looks SO good! I can’t wait to attempt to make it!!!

302. College Girl says:

I’ve never tried vegan mac and cheese, but it looks good! I think it would be fun to try making someday:)

303. Jana says:

mmmm…. mac and (no)cheese…. must try this- looks yummy!

304. Michelle says:

Yum!! Perfect for a snowy evening!

305. snenny says:

Mmm… mac and cheese has to be my favourite comfort food. Dreena’s version looks braziliant *lame pun*

306. Katie (too) says:

Delicious! I love this recipe. Thanks so much Katie! :)

307. Emily Lewis says:

This looks soooo good… I cannot WAIT to try to make it. Hopefully it turns out the same!

308. Ally Behne says:

309. ariana says:

I cannot wait to hear the results of the givaway!

as a not-yet-vegan, I am dying to try this idea of nuts instead of cheese!

310. Becca says:

Can’t wait to try this!

311. Terra says:

I am so very excited to try this recipe!!! Looks so yummy :)

312. I would LOVE that vegan cookbook!

313. MLE says:

You r awesome Katie! Thanks for the mac-n-cheese recipe! :)

314. Dree says:

This looks very interesting! My kids won’t eat mac and cheese because of the melted cheese (yet they eat pizza…). I put raw cashews in cilantro pesto, and they are yummy! Where can you get raw brazil nuts? I don’t think I have ever seen them.

315. MLE@ says:

LUV IT!

316. Laura says:

Dear Miss Katie,

Oh, this sounds wonderful! And gluten free as well! I am looking forward to trying it…mac and cheese has always been one of my very most favorites! Thank you for hosting this giveaway…would love to win the cookbook!

Sweet blessings,

317. Hailey says:

This looks delicious! Might just have to try it!

318. Inge says:

The only fersion of mac and cheese is the non vegan fancy kind from my grandma, thats also the only kind ive ever eaten, but this looks delicious, i’ll be sure to make it

319. Jena says:

So happy to see a Mac N Cheese recipe that doesn’t use nutritional yeast as an ingredient! Can’t wait to try :) Looks delish!

320. Brittany says:

YUM!! I haven’t eaten mac and cheese since I became vegan (almost 2 years) but this looks so good!! I may have to go out for some macaroni shaped pasta!! Thanks so much for this post!

321. Tiffany says:

Haven’t had mac and cheese since I went dairy free three years ago. Excited to give this a try!

322. Olivia says:

Has anyone tried Veganrella cheeses? My mom makes a great polenta bake with their vegan mozzarella, polenta, and tomato sauce, with whatever other veggies you want layered in between. So good! My fave comfort food.

323. MK says:

Looks delicious! Ps commenting to enter in to the giveaway 😉

324. Jena says:

…and another good point about the calorie count, one serving of standard mac n cheese will not yield you NEARLY that amount of protein in one serving, so it will fill you up quick! Seems like a guiltless guilt food to me!

325. JC says:

Looks great I will continue to experiment w/vegan ‘cheese’ and hopefully one day it will satisfy me. Thank you.

326. Quinn S says:

Katie this looks delish!! Perf comfort food for the holidays. Btw, Happy Holidays :) Thanks for the recipe I will def try it! Katie you are my vegan idol!!

327. MaryPat says:

I’d love to be entered into the giveaway for the cookbook! Baking/cooking is fun when you have a collection of healthy recipes to try :)

328. Beth says:

Yum! I would love to try this.

329. lauraee says:

Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for the recipe & cookbook giveaway!

330. this looks so good and so easy ! i love nut based cheeze

331. Mary Beth says:

I can’t wait to make this for my gluten free and dairy free husband! He misses things like mac and cheese so very much–thank you :)

332. Kayla says:

This looks wonderful! My sister is moving out next summer and I’ve already decided that when I visit her, I’m bringing food. This looks perfect!

333. matt stranberg says:

I loved this recipe because I have several vegan clients and I sent this right on over their way……and they loved it! Keep up the great work Katie! :)

334. Mircat says:

This looks like an awesome recipe, Katie. I’m not vegan, but I try to avoid soy and dairy, and I am NEVER disappointed with creamy, cashew-based sauces. Even my very carnivorous, cream-based-sauce-loving hubby enjoys them! Thanks for a lovely recipe to try–I’ll be using brown rice pasta, as I’m always avoiding gluten. :)

335. Katie says:

Looks great! I have had mac n cheese on the brain lately :)

336. Alyssa Specht says:

Looks amazing! I would love to try it to fix those pesky cravings for cheesy goodness!

337. It’s so sweet of you to give away Dreena’s cookbook! I’d really like to win it.

338. Sybil says:

This looks so delicious. I’m a new Dreena fan, I recently picked up one of her books, Eat Drink and Be Vegan, at a used book store. Needless to say, I have fallen in love with her recipes!

339. Cat says:

First of all, I love your recipes! They are great and yummy and I love the abundance of single serve! I just really wish I could eat more of them. I am vegan by necessity because of IBS and a very serve reaction to any meat proteins or fats (healthy or otherwise). I understand why you don’t do fat-free things, as a balanced diet is important for all, but for those of us (or maybe just me, I don’t know if this is something anyone else deals with) I just want to say, I really appreciate when you go against what you prefer and make dishes that have the option of being fat free! I don’t want to miss out on your healthy, delish desserts anymore than the next happy vegan!

340. Nicole says:

This would be great for our fam…I have two who are lactose intolerant! Thanks for the recipe :)

341. I have a great great vegan gluten free mac and cheese on my blog.. but no cashews- just polenta :)

342. Allison says:

Interesting–may be worth a try!

343. Maddie C. says:

I’m so down to try this recipe! Over the years I’ve progressed from Kraft to Annie’s whole wheat-white cheddar to my own takes on mac and cheese, and I’ll definitely experiment with this one as soon as I get a chance.

344. Stephanie Brooke says:

Made this tonight. I must say it is definitely better than any other vegan mac and cheese I have made and almost tastes like real mac and cheese :) Very good…will make again!

345. Leigh says:

Mmmmm <33 I love mac and cheese, and being lactose intollerant, this recipe is perfect!

346. Lap says:

Then you will be sad to hear that Soul Vegetarian Café closed as of last month : ( No word on why or if it’s permanent. This is the third vegan restaurant to close in D.C. in the last 6 months.

347. Agenda says:

I want to try this recipe as soon as I get an oven :)

348. Caitlin says:

This looks delicious!! I’ve made vegan “alfredo” before that used cashews, lemon juice, and mustard also and it was absolutely amazing, so I can’t wait to try this!

349. Riki says:

That looks absolutely delicious! My husband would be so happy if I made that for him too. It seems like you have to give up some of your favorite comfort foods because we decided to stop eating animal products/by-products, and then there are recipes like this, that prove us wrong. Thank you Katie!!! I can’t wait to make this.

One of my favorite comfort foods as a child was the chocolate tarts my mother used to make for me. :) Yummy

350. Karen says:

I love your blog! I have been trying to eat more vegan recipes and the ones I’ve tried from your site so far have been awesome!

351. Jen R says:

This looks so good!

352. Kristy says:

Wow – this sounds good. I keep looking for vegan or at least meatless meals that my family will eat, this sounds like a winner.

353. Samantha C. says:

Looks awesome!

354. Caitlin says:

1. can’t wait to try this once i’m back in my kitchen. 2. i’d love the cookbook!

355. Emily says:

Thank you for the recipe, Dreena! I love cheese, but can’t eat it because I’m now lactose intolerant. /sigh
    and thanks, Katie, for giving away the book!

1. Emily says:

/editing this with my proper email

356. Emma B. says:

This looks awesome! Your creativity never fails to amaze me. I really want to learn how to cook before college, and your blog is really inspiring! Thank you! :)

357. Jeanette says:

The recipe looks great!

358. Candy says:

Looks delicious! I can’t wait to try making it :)

359. Erikka says:

This looks yummy!

360. Christine says:

I’ve tried a similar recipe and was surprised by how well the texture was, but the taste was a little off. I will have to try this out and see if it’s better.

361. Elissa says:

That looks so good!

362. kelly says:

I’d love to win this!

363. Emily says:

This sounds so interesting and looks wonderful! I can’t wait to make it. I think the kids will LOVE it!

364. Marcy says:

I know it seems very random, but my favorite comfort food is steamed artichokes. My mom used to make them all the time growing up, so now when I have one it reminds me of home and growing up.

365. Kate says:

this looks amazing! as do so many of the recipes inside!

366. Vanessa says:

Yummy! Please enter me for the giveaway. 😉

367. Heather says:

I am so glad to finally find a vegan mac and cheese recipe without nooch! Thanks so much!!

368. Molly says:

Looks so yum!

369. Erin Shupe says:

Aaaaand you know what I’ll be making for dinner this week. Yum! I love the addition of the bread crumbs!

370. Alisa says:

I’d love to win Dreena’s book – looks like it has lots of good recipes!!

371. Xenia Holm says:

Hi Katie,
    I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog. It has actually inspired me to become a vegan. I ve been thinking about it for a wile now, but your recipes have convinced me that going vegan won’t make me give up my favorite food (chocolate!). Thank you!

372. Kim Hedges says:

Hooray for a giveaway! I love vegan cook books, even if you just do vegan part time, it is so helpful in learning flavor profiles and healthy tweaks to other foods. : )

373. Kristine says:

Thank you for always trying to provide a gluten free option! Sometimes I feel like a burden to family members and chefs when I request dairy free, meat free, oh and gluten free foods! (gluten free because I have to be, but vegan because I choose to be).

374. Kiersten says:

This looks AMAZING!! I can’t wait to try it. I am just starting to transition to a vegan diet and cheese is one of the hardest things for me to give up. Thanks for the great recipe!!!

375. Brienne says:

can’t wait to try this!

376. Eco Chic says:

I am a vegetarian now but I hope to become a vegan and these posts really show me how delicious being vegan is! Thank you so much! I have tried and loved so many of your recipes!

377. Anonymous says:

I don’t mno

378. Amalia says:

I love mac and cheese! I’m in the process of making the transition to veganism! I’m still learning a lot. I tried one mac and cheese recipe with nutritional yeast – yuk! So, I’m looking forward to trying this one.

379. Liv says:

Looks yummy!

Excited for the giveaway!

380. Suzanne p says:

I always liked my Mac and cheese with ketchup, anyone else? Looks like a great recipe Katie!

381. Kelan says:

I’m going to try this. My boyfriend was not a fan of the nutritional yeast + butternut squash. I agree, it was gross.

382. Emily says:

This sounds delish! and i bet it would go well with some of the recipes in the Let Them Eat Vegan cookbook =)

383. Hannah says:

MMMMMMM Mac & Cheese 8) Lovely!!! My favorite comfort foods are pasta, pie (especially apple), biscuits, and CHOCOLATE of course!

384. Helen says:

Mmmmm… I’m not vegan but am gluten free! This looks awesome!

385. Lauren says:

This looks like a great recipe. I’m glad there’s no soy in it! I love cookbooks, so it’d be awesome to win this one! :-)

386. shanna says:

I’ve been using pumpkin puree or butternut squash puree, both fresh, in my mac and cheese. My family is none the wiser :)

387. EHL says:

Looks yummy and happy holidays!

388. Krista says:

Looks delectable;) thanks for the giveaway!

389. Kira says:

Looks like real mac and cheese!

It’s nice to see Brazil nuts getting some attention, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a recipe with them!

390. melody says:

this recipe looks amazing. i will try it after i’m done trying the german chocolate fudge bites, which also look delicious. i absolutely love your peanut butter cookies. thanks for sharing all your goodies! xoxo

391. Cheltzey says:

Oh!!! Looks scrumptious!!!

392. alloyjane says:

Holy moly that looks fabulous. Will have to try this next time I pick up nuts. I guess that would be a good use for Brazil nuts since they have that lard-like quality. As for comfort food? Stovetop popcorn. It still is. And it’s always been vegan so I never had to modify the way I make it, hehe.

393. Christina Perez says:

This looks really good and the cookbook looks great too!

394. Ashley P says:

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try :)

395. Becky says:

This looks wonderful! Favorite comfort food growing up was ice cream!

396. Abby says:

I’d love to try this out on my cheese lovin’ man.

397. Laura says:

Perfect timing! I actually just tried another vegan mac n cheese recipe…but this one looks tastier. And, I would LOVE the cookbook. Trying to go vegan, and this would help a ton.

398. Allie H says:

holy cow, this looks INCREDIBLE. will def. be giving it a try

399. Tara says:

Need to make the Mac and cheese and need this cookbook!!!

400. Tyler Layne says:

My favorite comfort food back in the day would have to be tuna mac, made with canned tuna and boxed mac and cheese….. This looks much better! And much more appropriate for my current plant-based diet, of course.

401. BroccoliHut says:

My sister has always been the mac and cheese head in our family, but I might have to make this recipe for myself!
    One of my favorite childhood comfort foods was mom’s chili–maybe that’s why I make my veg version so often!

402. Anonymous says:

I’m not vegan, but I do try and eat as healthy as possible. I believe that we share the same love for chocolate and desserts (something I don’t think my husband will truly understand!) The idea of Mac and cheese sans cheese just blows me away- I am for sure going to have to try it. I’m not sure if you have any (not that I’ve seen anyways), but I’m always looking for some new quinoa recipes if you’re looking for ideas 😉

403. Jodi says:

Great giveaway!

404. mmm that mac and cheese looks yummy! I def want to try it!

405. Samantha Hurtado says:

Your recipes are simply amazing. I can’t believe I only started baking this summer…. Following your blog and replicating the recipes are always highlights of my day :)

406. Erin Peters says:

The anonymous comment above…. Oops ^

407. Isabella Defesche says:

I have been sick for a week with NO appetite until I saw this. I will be making this tomorrow and I am sure I will be healed in no time <3

408. Sharon says:

I’m a huge fan of cashews—this looks delicious!

409. Yummm! Can’t beat a comforting meal like mac & cheese!

410. Erika says:

This looks really good. I’ve always been kinda dubious about vegan cheese substitutes, so recipes that either work around them or don’t need them make me very very happy.

411. Allie says:

“Let them eat Vegan” has been on my holiday wish list all season. Thanks for featuring one of her recipes!

412. Kerry says:

I’ve been looking for the perfect vegan mac & cheese for a long time, and this looks like it might be the one! I’ve never tried using cashews in a cheese sauce, but it sounds delicious. I can’t wait to try it.

413. Victoria says:

This looks great. I really wish I have the cashews and brazil nuts to make this right now

414. Katy Wilson says:

I can’t wait to try this! I love the baked mac n cheese at Whole Foods but I’m allergic to both wheat and dairy! This is the perfect solution!

415. Nadine says:

Love this recipe!

416. tempesst says:

would love to try this!

417. TQ says:

This looks amazing – I would love to try it with Butternut Squash (Roasted) and perhaps some pine nuts and sundried tomatoes! :) Also, how about some Nutritional Yeast?

418. I too am a recovering mac n’ cheese addict 😉
    I’m looking forward for a chance to win Let them eat Vegan!

419. Kristina R says:

I love your blog! All your recipes are fantastic and I’m super excited to try this one out on my husband :)

420. Emily says:

Going to the store. Right. Now.

421. Emily says:

Yum! Looks delicious

422. Jemma says:

Ooooh I think I know what I am going to eat for Christmas dinner 😀

423. Lydia says:

YUM to the max! I have missed mac and cheese so much!

424. Amy says:

This looks SO incredibly good! I can’t wait to make it this weekend!

425. Tammy says:

Thanks for the recipe and the giveaway!

426. Dodge Howell says:

This looks so great. I can’t wait to try it.

427. Oh my goodness. I need to make this NOW.

428. Amy says:

My mouth literally drooling from looking at this .. looks so much better than our college food!

429. Megan R says:

Oh my goodness! This looks amazing! MUST make! :) I LOVE your blog Katie!

430. Christina Badaracco says:

Thanks for the DC restaurant recommendation! I just moved to the city, and I’ll definitely have to try it. And I’ll be making this mac and cheese in the meantime :)

431. Amalia says:

I’m in the process of transitioning to veganism and I love mac and cheese! Can’t wait to try it!

432. Libby says:

Pannekoeken = best comfort food ever.

P.S. Crossing my fingers for the cookbook. :)

433. Kristi says:

You comfort-food genius, you!!! All cozied up with a bowl of this :)

1. Kristi says:

Both you AND Dreena!

434. Ashley says:

Looks wicked good! Def will need to try :)

435. Megan says:

Yum! I’ll need to pick up some cashews ASAP.

436. Rachel says:

Sounds s interesting! I fully intend on trying this!!!

437. esther says:

yum! i love using your recipes since they are not only healthy, but also come out tasting delicious!

438. Rachel says:

I am SO intrigued by this!
    I hate fake cheese etc so the idea of using nuts to get that creamy texture is really interesting. I think i’ll give this a go over the xmas holidays. I have been hoping that you would post something i could make for xmas!!

PS my dog’s name is Mack and we often call him Mac’n’Cheese :)

439. Ashley says:

Looks great!

440. Nicole says:

Looks delicious! The cookbook also looks awesome.

441. Leslie says:

I’m so happy I found you! And so excited to “eat vegan”! :)

442. Nadiya says:

I’ve heard about the cashew version of cheese so many times but haven’t tried it out yet :( Childhood comfort food… As a proud Ukranian I would say cherry filled perogies or fried cabbage perogies 😀

443. Amber says:

Looks like this is my contribution to Christmas dinner!

444. Nick says:

Can’t wait to try this one!!

445. Sweetwater Cakes says:

Katie- I just started reading your blog on Friday and I love it! I have already made the black bean brownies – yummy! and look forward to making many more of your recipes in the future. While I am not vegan, I am looking into various alternative cooking/baking methods that are healthier.
    Many thanks for your fabulous blog! Michelle :)

446. Eilish says:

I don’t usually like Mac and cheese but I might have to try this!

447. Sam says:

There is the place that sells deep fried macaroni sticks in Victoria B.C. I am not sure if they are vegan but I want to try so bad… would be so bad for me…oh well, ha.

448. charlene says:

This looks amazing! Love your site Katie, it got me interested in going vegan :)

449. Yum!! I have had great luck with nutritional yeast and/or Daiya Cheddar based vegan mac and cheeses, but haven’t tried a nut-based version yet. Guess yours will have to be my first :) I tend to be a mac and cheese purist, but I may try adding some diced tomatoes and mushrooms or olives in this too.

450. Alyssa says:

Recipe sounds delightful, especially since there isn’t any tofu involved! I’d love to try in and stir in some green chiles or broccoli!

451. Brooke says:

May finally have a to try a vegan “cheese” recipe!

452. Julia says:

I’m a new vegan so I would love that cookbook!

453. Emily J says:

Cool! I love macaroni and cheese, too.

454. Carrie Kennedy says:

Made this for my kids today (ages 4 and 5). I can now say I have found a “Mac and Cheese” for them! They loved it! They have been very picky when it comes to Vegan Mac and Cheese dishes, I have made several but this one was a winner! Thanks for sharing!!!

455. Yoshiko says:

I love your blog! Thanks for the chance to win. I’d love to expand my cooking repertoire.

456. Cassandra G. says:

Looking VERY forward to making this! Thanks for sharing!

457. Amy says:

I just got that cookbook from the library and it’s great! Would love to own a copy!

458. emily says:

yumm! i made a vegan mac with spaghetti squash once… it was quite the project but so worth it!

459. Lissy says:

Looks really good ( :

460. Allison F. says:

Been itching to make this since you posted the Thanksgiving pic. Literally made my mouth water, and I don’t say that about just anything!

461. Jen P. says:

Can’t wait to try this, looks like the real thing!

462. Bethany says:

This sounds so good! Can’t wait to make it for dinner for my family!!

463. Maddy says:

This is so going on my list of recipes to try when my food processor arrives… and I already have a million or so of your other recipes that are bookmarked and waiting; I foresee a major cooking binge, haha!

464. Monica says:

this looks great! mac and cheese is one of the things i’ve missed most since becoming a vegan! thanks so much for this!!

465. Ange says:

I can’t wait to try it!

466. D Amin says:

Yeah! Came into possession of dry mustard by accident and I’ve been wondering what to do with it. That macaroni looks awesome.

467. Eileen says:

looks soo good!

468. Carolsue says:

Mac and Cheese was always a comfort good; so was meatloaf and fried chicken

469. Julie says:

This looks really tasty! I must try it when it’s really cold outside!!

470. Leah says:

Will be trying this mac & cheese recipe, and love the cookbook giveaway!

471. My Mac N Cheeze never looks so good! Delicious!

472. Marisa says:

This looks amazing!

473. Kit-Kat says:

Mac n’ cheese has been my favorite since I was a little girl. My mommy and Daddy would make “noodles and cheese sauce” for me a lot before I became allergic to all dairy products, and became a vegan. Then they made vegan mac ‘n cheese for me, and converted my sisters and brother to the new rendition of an old favorite :)
    Now I can introduce a new version (your recipe) to my family! Thank you, Katie! This really looks divine! 😀

474. I love some mac & cheese myself! I’ll put this one on my list to try :)

475. Mary-Stewart says:

Cheese, glorious cheese, marvelous cheese….yes, cheese is hard to part from. I have been trying to eat more vegetarian/vegan and I do pretty good staying away from cheese, but sometimes I fail. This looks really good, so I think I should try it and see for myself! :)

476. Marla says:

Oh how I love Mac and cheese! Have not had it in YEARS and looking forward to trying this. Thank you for posting !

477. Brin says:

Awsome!!!!! I love cook books!!! And I want to get yours to!! You are a amazing how every other day you make a poust it’s amazing!!!!!!

478. karina says:

hmmm childhood comfort foods….well I used to love hotdogs and chicken fingers but not that I’m a vegetarian I can’t say I carve them anymore. my Mom’s homemade chocolate chip bars are pretty comforting though

479. Wow- that looks awesome! I know my husband misses mac&cheese.
    My fave childhood comfort food is definitely my mom’s pancakes! Luckily, she makes them for me whenever I ask!

480. Samantha says:

I’d love to win Dreena’s cookbook… you do great giveaways katie :)

481. Amanda says:

This looks so good! Can’t wait to try it!

482. Anna B. says:

I haven’t made mac-and-cheese in ages, and I’m pumped to try this recipe! Also, thanks for hosting the cookbook giveaway! I’m a big fan of Dreena!

483. Sarah says:

Mmm, I love mac and cheese! I will have to try this. :)

484. Erika says:

I love that this doesn’t use nutritional yeast! My cousin and I tried making a cashew nut sauce for a vegan mac ‘n cheese and had to go buy nutritional yeast specially. This uses all the things I already have! (except for the brazil nuts :)) Do the brazil nuts add a special flavor profile?

485. Jen E says:

This looks so yummy! I miss real mac and cheese but this looks way better!

486. Jill K C says:

This looks delicious!

487. Chelsea says:

I quite simply want this cookbook. I have been transitioning into veganism for a while, and have been vegetarian for quite a while now. I am boring myself with my own recipes and it’s lovely to have a cookbook handy in the kitchen, rather than having to boot up the old laptop.

488. Steph says:

I’m definitely putting the ingredients on my shopping list for this weekend. Looks amazing.

489. Hillary says:

I’m not vegan, but I love trying new and different takes on classic recipes. This looks delicious!

490. Katie Muller says:

Looks really good! I’ll have to try it sometime!

491. Donella Ware says:

Thank you for this recipe. I’m going to stir in roasted poblano peppers. Yum!

492. LOVE Dreena Burton!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

493. Bethany says:

I would love to add the cookbook to my collection! :) Sounds great!

494. Kiersten says:

Definitely going to have to try this one with some gluten free noodles!

495. Jeana says:

What is the purpose of the nuts? Can you just use almond milk?

496. Shawnee says:

I’ve been looking for a mac and cheese recipe, yay!