Grain Free Sugar Cookies

What don’t you see in this picture?

Flourless sugar cookies from @choccoveredkt that are gluten-free, sugar-free, soy-free, dairy-free, and vegan! No flour and no butter required! Full recipe here:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/18/grain-free-sugar-cookies/

No flour. No butter.

And no refined sugar. None of these items are included in today’s cut-out grain free sugar cookie recipe. Unless you douse the grain free cookies in sprinkles, as you know I love to do.

healthy sugar cookies

If you happen to forget the dough and then decide it’s really good unbaked and straight from the freezer… well, I wouldn’t know anything about that. It’s not like I’ve done it or anything. 😉

Flourless sugar cookies from @choccoveredkt that are gluten-free, sugar-free, dairy-free, and vegan! No flour and no butter required! Full recipe here:  http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/12/18/grain-free-sugar-cookies/

Grain Free Sugar Cookies

(with a paleo option)

Adapted from this recipe and inspired by Laura.

• 1 cup finely-ground almond meal (also known as almond flour. For substitutions, see nutrition link at the end of this recipe.) (75g)
  • a little over 1/8 tsp salt (1/8 plus 1/16 tsp)
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, or stevia to taste (For substitutions, see nutrition link below.) (30g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (15g)
  • For maple syrup version: up to 2 level teaspoons milk of choice or extra oil, as needed (5-10g). For stevia version: 1 tbsp milk of choice, added with the liquid ingredients. (15g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: pure almond extract

Grain Free Sugar Cookies Recipe: Combine all liquid ingredients (except milk of choice if using maple syrup version). In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and stir very well. Now mix wet into dry and keep stirring, breaking up clumps as you mix—it may seem dry at first, and you can add the extra 2 tsp milk or oil (I did add this when I made the maple syrup version), but do not add any more liquid than the recipe calls for. It will eventually form something that can either be squished into a ball with your hands or put into a plastic bag and smushed from inside the bag (the less-messy option). Roll out dough to cut-out-cookie width, either between sheets of parchment paper or from inside the bag, then cut into shapes. Freeze dough at least 20 minutes before cooking 10-13 minutes (depending on desired crispiness) at 325 F on a greased cookie sheet. Let cool another 10 minutes before even attempting to remove cookies from the sheet. They should firm up nicely. For troubleshooting, see nutrition link below. I store these in a glass container, not fully covered, as I like them crispier.

View Grain Free Cookies Nutrition Facts

grain free sugar cookies

Optional glaze:

Just mix 1 cup powdered sugar or no-sugar powdered sugar with scant 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract and a little milk of choice. Start very small with the amount of milk, and stir well before deciding to add more. If you accidentally add too much milk, simply add more of the sugar. (The cookies in the photos are frosted with the sugar-free powdered sugar, linked above.)

Link of the Day:

sprinkles

Sprinkles!

Um, I mean Sugar Cookie Oatmeal.

Tags: , , ,

1. This recipe sounds and looks amazing! Thanks for making a grain-free cookie recipe. 🙂

They look so pretty, especially with that sparkly glaze!

2. Katie, you just became my bestest friend ever. Sooo making these today! 😀

3. Lena says:

These look so great!! I’ve been trying to find cookie ideas for Christmas morning for my hubby and I and these are it! I love the decorations on them 🙂

4. So pretty – I like the blue instead of red and green!

5. Ed says:

Those cookies look tasty…cool new banner btw

6. Samantha says:

Very interesting, I am going to try these. I have been seriously considering the hazelnut flour myself, but I could see where almond would be more appropriate to sugar cookies…

Decisions! I will let you know. I can’t wait to try. 🙂

7. These look beautiful!!! I just posted a very similar recipe on my site! I’ll have to try your version for sure, it looks great 🙂

8. Bridget says:

Thank you so much for posting this- I CANNOT wait to make these for this weekend!!!!!!

9. Kristen says:

Has anyone tried this with oat flour? I’m allergic to all nuts and I’m currently off wheat so thought I’d give the oat a try!

1. Sheena says:

Just a reminder that oats are a grain too
      Some people are intolerant of all grains
      This includes. Oats , soy, quinua, etc
      But your almond flour cookies are great
      Sheena

10. petrina says:

This reminds me of the low-carb crackers I used to make for my husband, who is a strict low carber. But I used egg white for the liquid binder. This is a nice vegetarian version and sweet! I have to try these for him!

11. Marianne says:

Hi Katie! So, to confirm…you’re freezing it after you’ve cut it into shapes? When I’ve made sugar cookies in the past, I’ve refrigerated the dough for a few hours before rolling out and shaping, since the dough is easier to manipulate. I just want to make sure I got the order correct, since I’ll be making these soon 🙂

1. It really depends on how warm the weather is, how humid… a lot of things come into play. I made the recipe six times, and only once did I have to freeze before cutting them.

12. Love, love, love this recipe and the cookies look amazing! I love sugar cookies with icing! I will be making these for sure.

13. Kayla says:

Hi Katie, how do you substitute something sticky (like maple syrup, as you have listed) with stevia? That’s two different consistences…how would that yield the same result? Do you test these recipes out???

1. The difference is accounted for in the recipe instructions.
      Yes, both ways work. I will never post a variation unless I’ve tried it or it specifically says “I haven’t tried X so I can’t vouch for it.”

14. Ok, ok. You guys have convinced me. After seeing quite a free almond flour sugar cookies on the net this year, I’m going to try them. Can’t wait!

15. I love almond flour! Such a magic ingredient 🙂

16. Yum!! I’ve never baked with almond flour. But I should try!! These are so pretty!

17. Jesann says:

What did you put in the glaze to make it sparkly? Did you pulverize some of the sprinkles into a powder and mix that in? That looks wonderful.

(I’ve been re-reading the recipe and don’t see anything about the method for making it sparkly, so if you did mention how to do that and I just can’t read, sorry. 🙂 )

1. It’s Wilton icing writer in blue. 🙂

18. Just made these. OH MY GOSH. AMAZINGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!