Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Eatmore Fudge Chocolate Bars

Hi everyone,

If you get a chance, be sure to take a look at the new website.

Do you see the pink and blue header on the site? And a light purple background? By the end of this week, it will all look very different. So be sure to take one last look while you still can! While I’m working on the changes, I have a lovely guest blogger for you today:

Healthy fudge candy bars.

Hello to all the wonderful readers of Katie’s delicious Chocolate-Covered blog!

I’m Christal, from Nutritionist in the Kitch. I was absolutely thrilled when Katie asked if I would feature my Healthy ‘Eatmore’ Fudge Squares on her blog because:

a) I am a HUGE fan of Chocolate-Covered Katie and have always been incredibly inspired by her ability to take the often-unhealthy foods we crave and turn them into something healthy and still just as delicious!

b) It means I get to share these amazing Healthy ‘Eatmore’ Fudge Squares with even more wonderful people!!

As a Nutritionist I am always looking for ways to “healthify” those not-so-healthy recipes. I am a true advocate of ‘clean eating’ and believe the body can thrive best off of whole, natural, unprocessed, and unrefined foods… but that sure doesn’t mean those foods have to be bland or boring!

Homemade "Eatmore" Fudge Candy Bars Secretly healthy chocolate fudge squares that taste like candy bars.

Enter the Healthy ‘Eatmore’ Fudge Squares. As a kid, I devoured Eatmore Bars when I got the chance (this wasn’t often because chocolate bars always led to me having temper tantrums… I’m guessing it had to do with the enormous amounts of ‘bounce-off-the-walls’ refined sugar…), and I have to admit, to this day, I still get a craving for a sweet, chewy, Eatmore bar… but nowadays I couldn’t bring myself to eat one. So instead, this recipe does the trick! Not only does this healthy version still taste like an Eatmore bar, it tastes like an Eatmore bar topped with FUDGE! Yes, fudge. Healthy fudge! No refined sugars, flours, or chemicals found here in these super delicious and incredibly easy homemade fudge squares!

vegan candy bars

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1 cup pitted dates
  • 1/2 cup almonds, unsalted
  • 1/4 cup walnuts, unsalted
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • 4 tbsp natural almond butter
  • 1/4 cup more unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 4 tbsp unpasteurized honey (K note: strict vegans can use agave)
Yield: Makes 16

Put dates in a bowl with warm water, allow dates to soak for 30 minutes, then drain. Mix together dates, almonds, walnuts, and 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a food processor until well blended. Spread mixture in a 9×5 baking pan (or an 8×8 is okay) until evenly distributed, and press down gently with a spoon. Mix together bananas, almond butter, honey, and other 1/4 cup cocoa powder in the food processor until well blended. Spread mixture over bottom layer until evenly distributed. Place in freezer for 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. Re-freeze whatever you don’t eat, and enjoy at another time! For troubleshooting or substitution advice, please ask Chrystal, as this is her recipe.

*View Eatmore Fudge Bars Nutrition Facts*

homemade candy bars

Link of the Day:

Peach Breakfast Cobbler
…………..,,.Peach Breakfast Cobbler

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

Wow, these look so fudge-y and delicious! The fudge topping looks to die for. I love dates, but always forget about them for making desserts.

1. Thanks Lisa! Yes, I use dates all the time in baking, they are awesome to make pie crusts with too!!

2. Kim says:

My food processor just broke. These are the inspiration I need for a shopping trip! Yeah! These look great.

3. It’s hard to live up to Katie’s incredible helthy treat standard but these look phenomenal!! Can’t wait to make them :)

4. Hannah says:

How dare you be evil and make delicious foods to tempt me. YOU ROCK!

This looks really good, and I’m going to have to try it…someday. Probably when I’m out of the trailer.

5. sherry says:

Yum!! Definitely going to follow Christy’s blog/site!! Thank You!

6. Alanna says:

These look amazing! I must get to the store and buy dates… been too busy lately to do much in the way of cooking / baking / food prep in general. :( I’ll definitely check out your blog, and Katie, looking forward to seeing the new version of yours very soon! :)

7. FUUUUUUDGE! Yum! Those look so great!

8. All I have to say is YUM! Wish I could have made these yesterday for V-day :)

1. Jordan, you could always have a ‘belated’ V-day celebration just as an excuse to make them! 😉

1. Jordan says:

You’re so right! :) ANY excuse for a celebration!

9. Asia says:

These look great, can’t wait to try them. But it has been proven again and again and again and again that sugar does not cause hyperactivity. No, refined sugar isn’t good for you, but the facts you use to prove that point should be accurate.

1. Hey Asia! They sure are delicious! I am not sure where you have read your research, but my research, and the research I studied while in school to become a Registered Nutritionist proved strong correlations between refined sugar consumption and hyperactivity in children. Then again all research usually has some to disprove it, but I wouldn’t say it has been proven that the connection isn’t there for sure!

1. Krys says:

As a holistic nutritionist myself, I can ASSURE you that refined sugar is directly linked to behavioral issues. As well as wheat, preservatives and artificial flavors and colors. I personally have succeeded in getting children off of ritalin and a myriad of other behavioral modification meds by simply removing refined sugar from the diet. I’m not sure where you are getting your information, but I have seen it first hand in my practice that the correlation is absolutely verifiable.

2. Christal@NutritionistInTHeKitch says:

Thanks Krys for backing me up on this one!

3. Krys says:

No problem! There is SO much misinformation out there and I have to wonder who’s pushing it. Refined white sugar has to be one of the worst things a person can eat. It’s sad when people truly believe that this is refutable (and I blame pseudo science and sketchy studies that are taken as fact). And studies on lab rats eating sugar and not getting hyper DON’T count 😉

4. Violet says:

I don’t know what’s true or not true (and I think white sugar is so bad if you’re eating it regularly!) but I’ve seen again and again in magazines and online in those “lists of things you think are true but they’re really myths” the thing about sugar not being linked to hyperactivity. never read any scientific studies on it but people sure do like to treat that as a myth lately I’ve noticed!

5. amy says:

I think that the myth is when people think that giving your child a sugary treat will make them bounce off the walls for the rest of the day. research has shown that sugar doesn’t really have that effect. however, a diet that’s regularly high in sugar is a cause or a factor in ADD and ADHD. you guys think you’re disagreeing, but actually you’re just talking about two different things. youre welcome! 😉

6. Mel says:

White sugar is typically the first ‘gate-way’ drug that most drug addicts (heroine, cocaine, meth, etc.) will actually identify as the first substance that they “had to have” and felt physically addicted to.

7. Audrey says:

As a mother of 3, I have to agree. Sugar is a serious trigger and extremely obvious if your family doesn’t regular consume it. My kids eat a little sugar and they are jumping on the couch, giddy, racing around like crazy and out of control. It’s a reaction that occurs within minutes too!

8. ash says:

Agreed, Audrey! My kids hardly ever eat any sugar and when they do they literally go from normal play to racing around in circles…and it’s happened over and over again. Whatever research may or may not say, our 2 kids both have serious hyperactivity that we have observed right after eating sugar. And each time they’ve had an after dinner dessert of some kind, they have not been able to go to sleep until 10-11pm when their normal bedtime is 7:30 and they go right down. There’s a definite connection!

9. Christina says:

Do an Internet search on the terms “sugar” and “hyperactivity” and try to find a credible site (one that references multiple, rigorously-performed, double-blind studies) that have ever found any link. I couldn’t do it. There are many good reasons to limit children’s sugar consumption, but please don’t perpetuate the ones that aren’t even true.

10. ash says:

Christina, I hear what you are saying about internet searches and credible studies that back up the connection. I research everything to the hilt, so I appreciate your wanting to keep things credible. However, both Audrey and I were talking about our personal experiences with our own children who don’t regularly consume sugar, who we notice an obvious difference in after consuming said sugar. I sincerely don’t intend this to be rude, but it’s really not your place to tell us we are perpetuating anything when we are sharing our personal family experiences. My experiences with my family in this instance have been very tangible time and time again and I have spoken with several other moms in my city who have had similar experiences. Some kind of reaction happens when my kids consume sugar that is not their norm, and the fact that you can’t find it on the internet does not invalidate our discussion. Additionally, I have read published nutrition books by credible physicians that do make a link behaviorally. I know there are 2 sides to this discussion, so please respect that others may not hold your opinion, especially when sharing personal experiences.

11. Kristin says:

Clearly Krys has no children. 😉 Mine bounce off the walls like crazies when given sugar!

12. Christie says:

These look fabulous! I’m going to go get dates tonight so I can make them :) I see all this talk about refined sugar. I’ve been trying to slowly get it out of our house. I have 2 young children and I’m curious to see how/if it would benefit their behavior to eliminate it from their diet. What kind of substitutions do you recommend for baking? I bought Sugar in the Raw for sweetening tea, cocoa, but I haven’t used it for cooking yet. I’d love to hear what you have successfully used. Thanks!

13. Hi Christie! I love Stevia as a sugar substitute! It works great in baking and as a sweetener in tea, in oatmeal, yogurt, etc.

14. Christie says:

Great! Thank you. I’ll pick some up along with my pitted dates tonight 😉 Is there anything I need to know about substituting it? Or just 1-for-1?

15. Lorna says:

Hey Christal, I’m certain you’re absolutely right about sugar. Here’s an example: last year my we took my one year old daughter to see her cousins. It was a baking hot day and someone gave her a shop-bought ice pop which was basically just sugar, water and flavouring. She’d never had any refined sugar before at all. She was usually asleep by 6.30pm every night – but that night we didn’t get her to bed until 10.10pm! Says it all for me.

16. Matt says:

A few thoughts on this:

Regarding the studies that suggest no causal relationship with sugar & hyperactivity: There was actually a time when researchers thought that anabolic steroids had no effect/benefit on building muscle mass, but the hard core body builders knew the opposite. Why, because the studies were constructed using “safe” dosages of steroids, which was far less than what body builders were using. Makes you wonder about the construct of the oft quoted studies that find no relationship between sugar and behavior (but I’m too lazy to look).

In our family (specifically our daughter) we have found that one reason that sugar is a problem is because it readily replaces (pushes out) other needed nutrients. With our daughter we have found that we need to increase proteins and even healthy fats (but mostly protein), to give her a slower burning energy source.

17. Josie says:

I’m suspicious of the whole sugar making kids hyper thing. I think kids get excited because they associate sugary foods with fun things like parties (or maybe they’re at a party and are having lots of sweets and are hyper because they’re having a great time) so there are environmental and paychological factors at play too. Parents often use sugar food at celebrations or to reward good behaviour. I don’t think it’s chemical. Put it this way, do a little experiment with your kids and put a stack of processed sugar on some Brocchili at dinner time. Let me know if they go hyper for it …(hint: they won’t).

2. Ruth says:

Asia’s right. I’ve read at least one (possibly more but not sure right now) study where they tell parents that their child was or wasn’t given sugar. I think in every case they did not actually give the child sugar. It’s the child’s own parent, so they should be a good judge of what’s normal or hyperactive in the particular child. When told their child was given sugar, parents reported that the child was hyperactive. However, that’s impossible, because they said this despite the child not actually having any. It’s a myth – a widely believed myth, but still a myth. Children get excited at special occasions, occasions at which they might eat more sweet food than normal. It’s not the sweet food, and it’s certainly not the sugar.

Using dates and bananas instead of sugar is tasty, it’s a nice different change to try, and they have vitamins and minerals that sugar doesn’t. But it won’t stop kids being hyperactive, because sugar never made them hyperactive in the first place. The recipe looks great and I’m going to try it, but there’s no need for false claims. It stands on its own merits!

1. Rachel says:

I’m pretty sure Christal was just using her own personal experience as a kid in regards to the sugar. Way to welcome a guest post by jumping down her throat.

2. It’s true, as a kid I honestly did experience a behavioral change when I was overloaded with sugar… one main trigger was Orange Crush pop… not only is it loaded with a whopping 71g of refined sugars per bottle but also artificial color additives (also linked with child hyperactivity) and high fructose corn syrup… yuk!! I don’t feel offended at all by Asia’s comment, but I do believe that there are two sides to the story! Some research may say refined sugar does not have this affect, but there is PROVEN research that also DOES. So really, it’s which you decide you are going to go with I guess! I also don’t think I would have been taught false research in university either as a mandatory part of educational material.

3. Kim says:

I’m a teacher and in my classroom based research for 18 years (with 16-22 kids each year), I can certainly tell you that sugar DOES cause kids to be hyper. I don’t even need the research to support that.
        Christal, I love the look of these bars and will try them over February vacation! Thanks for posting.

4. Brenda says:

It’s called the power of suggestion. I teach elementary school in a subject which requires incredible concentration, quiet, and dexterity. Halloween, Valentine’s day, all the other sugar-filled holidays, the classes are the same. If you give kids the opportunity to believe they’ll be hyper, they will be, but they go right back to normal once they’re in the boundaries and parameters of a structured environment. At least in my classes.

5. Jordan says:

In a quick search, I don’t see studies that “PROVE” that sugar causes hyperactivity. I do see a number of surveys that can point to a *correlation* between sugar consumption and ADHD, etc., (but we’re talking about 4 glasses of soda per day in 16-year-olds, or self-reported intakes, which hardly seem reliable). But correlation is not causation, and even scientists and professors aren’t immune to confirmation bias. The abstract I found most interesting as I was looking was one that suggested perhaps causation runs the other direction.

However, I did find empirical studies in the model Ruth mentions. In fact, in 1995, the Journal of the American Medical Association published a literature review that looked at 23 published studies using that model and found no correlation between perceived hyperactivity and actual refined sugar consumption. The year before in the Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Hoover & Milich found that it might even be the adults’ attitudes and behaviors that are more influential.

Anecdotal evidence? My kids love sweets–but they behave the worst when they’re hungry. (I probably do, too!)

I have a friend who is avoiding gluten and refined sugar, so I look forward to making this, but I agree that the recipe can stand on its own merits.

10. Tamara says:

yussss i have all the ingredients, sugar here i come :) and I am super excited to see the new banner!

11. Can’t wait to see the new website Katie! Love all your recipes so much and it’s so nice to see how far you’ve come since 2008!:) I’ve been a fan ever since. Very proud of all your accomplishments! PS- Great guest blogger recipe too!:)

1. Heather! I think I remember you… it’s so great to hear from you again. I will have to go check out your blog!

1. Heather says:

Great Katie! I’m so glad!:) I saw a Wildbar the other day and thought about you, remembering how much you said you love them!:) HaHa! Have a great day and I would love to have you visit my blog sometime:)

12. I love how all of these ingredients are whole foods and yet the resulting product looks amazing and droolworthy. Gorgeous!

1. Thanks Anna! I’m all about using whole, unrefined ingredients, even for the sweet treats :)!

13. Ange says:

When is your cookbook coming out? I’m waiting patiently…

14. These look really good. Best of luck with your re-design! I just finished my new site a little while ago and I know how much work it takes- thanks for working on things to make it better for all of your readers. You are appreciated!

15. I’ve never heard of eatmore bars, but this looks so amazing!

16. Ummmm, those look absolutely delicious! I really need to try baking with dates, not something I’ve done yet.

1. gailmarie says:

I was hoping more people had tried these, the bottom base came out perfect after just 30 minutes in the freezer, but… the top is still eat with a spoon wet? maye too much honey? or just freeze longer.?

1. Elaine says:

Mine did the same. I think next time I’d also make double base or could be my pan was too big but yes, I’d like to find something that could make the top not so runny – any thoughts anyone ? Ex

2. Nicole Avila says:

I am in the process of trying out this recipe. I’m encountering the same issues! I am glad I’m not the only one haha. I think I would definitley do double base as well. Also, it’s been an hour and the top layer still isn’t frozen. I’m sure it’ll freeze eventually. *waiting patiently*

Nonetheless, I’m excited to eat it! It looks delicious!

17. Kathy says:

Hi, these look delicious! Do you think I could substitute pumpkin and flax seeds for the nuts? I’m allergic. Not sure if it would throw off the consistency of the bars or not.

1. Hey Kathy! Yes I would use whole flaxseed not ground, and pumpkin! You could even try stirring in some sunflower seeds too (not process with the seeds). The texture of the bottom may be a little softer, but I think it would still taste great! I hope it works out! :)

1. Kathy says:

Great, thanks for the tips! I will make these this weekend.

18. kristin says:

I have to be honest, putting a link to your website that takes you to the exact same page you are on is kind of frustrating. Do you really need more pageviews?

1. Kristin,
      Not everyone is viewing the website from the actual blog. Many people see it via google reader, rss, or through email. It’s not like I was trying to be cryptic and trick anyone into clicking on my site when they’re already there. I specifically said the link was to my site. 😕

1. T says:

…no you didn’t.
        “If you get a chance, be sure to take a look at this website.”

2. Rosemary says:

Well, if you mouse over the link, it tells you where it goes! “” :)

3. Harsha says:

In all fairness, I think it would have sounded silly if she had said “take a look at my website” when you are obviously already doing so.

4. Emma says:

prehaps ‘take a look at the blog’ would have been better wording. I do like the new design, clan and modern,

5. Emma says:

2. Anonymous says:

And why does anyone have an issue about this??? Lol

3. Becca says:

I thought it was funny…and I really don’t see how it could be “frustrating.” You clicked the link so you knew it was going to open a new page. Why does it matter what page it was? This is Katie’s blog, and she can write what she wants! I love everything she posts! :)

1. Emma says:

I thought it was an odd thing to do, link back to the same page, so I’m glad a reader was able to ask a question and Katie was able to answer it.

2. Harsha says:

You may not “see” it but even to me, a link that takes me back to the same page is a little irritating and kinda looks like an attempt to gain more pageviews. And in any case, just because it is Katie’s blog does not mean no one can say anything about it. That’s what the comments section is for. All that said, I don’t see a problem with the linking in this case….the way she has worded it and her explanation both seem logical to me. But like Emma, I am glad someone said it so that the misunderstanding was cleared.

3. Harsha says:

I forgot to add that I like this new design looks clean and attractive. And the recipe is awesome…loved it.

4. Hi Harsha,

I don’t actually get paid for pageviews anymore, which just proves that all of the links (and links of the day) I’ve always included (and still include) have nothing to do with trying to exploit anyone. It would be counterproductive for me to anger my readers by tricking them. Sure, they might click extra at first, but eventually they’d get annoyed and go elsewhere.

5. Harsha says:

Thank you for the reply. I wasn’t accusing you of doing it by any means, just generally commenting on the practice. Like I said, your reasoning makes sense to me and like I said before, it would have sounded silly if you had worded it differently anyway. My point was that it is much better for readers to raise such questions and get clarifications from you rather than assuming the worst. Unless someone is being disrespectful, I don’t see why readers should be stopped from speaking up if something bothers them. In any case, thanks for going the extra mile to clarify :)

4. Laura Miller says:

I think she meant it as “take a look at the website, and tell me what you think about the new design.” Then linked it in case somebody was reading this recipe through a different source.o

19. Lovely recipe, nothing beats whole nutritious food in deserts :)

1. I agree! Desserts don’t need to be full of the refined junk to still taste amazing! :)

20. Lauren says:

Thanks for the recommendation of the website – nutritionist in the kitchen…. Just visited it! Looks like your site won’t be the only site I follow now!!

21. Mai says:

ooh, i’ve actually made this recipe a couple times. it is AMAZING!

22. Alyssa says:

Those remind me of these things called Chunks of Energy! I’ve got to try these bars :-)

1. Yum… Chunks of Energy?? Where are those from?? I’d LOVE to try them!

1. Alyssa says:

I would buy them in the refrigerated section of my health food store, Natural Grocers. I’ve also found them at smaller health food stores. They are usually a blend of dates, nuts, seeds, chia or flax, carob, dried berries, and some sort of soy protein blend. They are in little squares, but they are power packed! About 100 cal per :-)

They aren’t a brand or anything, usually made in house. Good luck!

2. Sounds wonderful, thanks Alyssa!

23. These look so good…. I want to make them asap. Im wondering if I could leave out the honey or if it would change the consistancy. and maybe just use stevia??

1. Hey Sara! I would try subbing with agave nectar or pure maple syrup first, as stevia might change the consistency too much!

24. Anonymous says:

I’ve never heard of an Eatmore Bar, but these look delicious, and made with healthful, real ingredients-right up my alley! Plus, I always love having another gluten free recipe in my reportoire. I’m excited to attempt them!

25. These look so, so, yummy! You both are a true inspiration! I am so glad I found Katie’s blog and now I’m going to take a look at yours! Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

26. Rachel says:

Can we please just talk about how amazing these look. I saw the picture on pinterest and instantly said “I NEED TO EAT THESE RIGHT NOW.”

1. Lol! That’s what I was aiming for! And… I did… eat them, as soon as I made them!! It’s hard to make these last, that’s for sure! :)

27. Amy says:

Oh my! Another amazing creation by Katie! These look super yummy! Can’t wait to make them!!! Your recipes are my FAVORTIES!

28. Valarie says:

OMG the base is a homemade Larabar, genius!!! I can’t wait to make these! :-)

1. Yep, pretty much! And it’s a great recipe too because you can change the flavor by changing the base and adding in different ingredients, or different types of “larabar” inspired ingredients! :)

29. Teresa says:

These look really good, will try them tonight, but I really do not like dates (no I have no idea why I know they are good for me but hate them). What would you recomend for a substitute. Thanks for the recipe, and will look at your site.

1. Hey Teresa, I would maybe try using another dried fruit such as apricots or a mix of raisins, cherries, or dried cranberries! I haven’t tried that though!

1. Teresa says:

Thank you will try that next time, today I had a cup of sweet potato chocolate frosting and I used that, it was good. I did change up the frosting because we did not like the banana flavor so used avacado instead need a little bit of sweetner but not much. I used a mix of honey and maple syrup for the sweetner.

30. Wow. Please feel free to mail me some! <3

31. Miliany says:

This looks delicious, Katie! I love the fact that these are raw vegan. This looks like a brownie! This recipe is a bit similar to my raw brownies: . I think all your recipes are great and your photos makes all your recipes look more delish! The best part about raw vegan chocolate is it’s completely guilt free! 😉
    Can’t wait for your new website!

32. Never had an eat more bar (or even heard of it), but these look delicious!

33. Jenny D says:

These look insane! Can’t wait to make these. In the mean time I’ll head over to your site!

1. Wonderful! Thanks for stopping by Jenny! :)

34. Bek @ Crave says:

This looks so tasty. I love dates, so any excuse to buy another packet 😉

35. janine says:

Bought all I need to make these tonight. I am going to trick my hubby and son while I enjoy an yummy healthy CLEAN treat.

1. Awesome Janine! I tricked my hubby too when he first tried them! His favorite was the black bean brownies I made quite a while ago, with a raspberry goat cheese swirl, he could not get over the fact they were made from black beans and still tasted amazing!!

1. janine says:

What is the link to that yummy recipe?

36. Maddy says:

Just clicked onto your blog as usual and saw the new layout and gasped out loud, I love it! Hope you’re happy with it too, lots of work must have gone into it and it’s definitely paid off!

37. Linda says:

OMG!! Your new design is amazing! 😀

38. Oh my word! They look a-maze-ing! You wouldn’t even think to look at them that they were made with healthy ingredients. I love healthy treats that look and taste naughty. Thanks for sharing Christal and Katie.

39. Amelia says:

OMG! Your new layout looks 500x better (and it looked nice before!) I absolutely love it; I hope you do too. It’s kind of Happy Herbivore meets… something super cute.

Also, I cannot wait to make these…. they sound sooooooooooo yummy!

40. Cassidy says:

First, WHOA. Those bars. I must haz dem. <3

Second…HOLY WHOA. Katie, your blog is lookin' fine, girl! ;P lol

41. Nora says:

I just visited your blog for the 20,000 time and I must confess I`m in love…
    ..with your new layout <3
    Have a nice weekend,
    Nora ;D

42. Anonymous says:

I already saw and have made this recipe from another blog. They can be found at They are listed as raw vegan fudge brownies and were posted back in May of 2011.

1. Food-Loving-Linda says:

It says at the bottom of Cristal’s recipe that she adapted them from the fitsugar recipe:

2. Hi anonymous,
      Thank you so much for letting me know about this. I edited the post to give credit to the original source of her adapted recipe.

43. Becca says:

Katie, this new blog design is awesome! It looks so inviting and fancy and professional! I love it!

44. Wow! What a great recipe.
    Kaite, site LOOKS great-nice job!

You both have a great weekend and I hope to make these bars! Whoa!

45. Oh my goodness Katie. The header looks awesome!!! I like all of the white. It really makes your pictures POP. So cool.

46. Ilana says:

Hey girl! Loving the new colors on the page….. But unfortunately not loving the chocolate covered logo, it doesn’t look like chocolate if you get my drift, kinda gross looking and not appealing(sorry! MSlese not want the chocolate in the recipes!) …….maybe chocolate covered with some sprinkles would help?

1. Haha no worries. I’m actually not keeping the heart. It’s an interim thing while an artist friend is working on something non-shutterstock-y :)

47. Madeline says:

Oh my gosh, I LOVE your new header/layout! I liked the old one, too, but this one’s a lot more streamlined.

48. Tiffany says:

Hi Katie,

I love the new layout!! It is so pretty, organized and beautiful!!

P.S. you have so many recipes that are not included in your recipage that I am constantly clicking through old posts and finding new and delicious eats :)

Keep up the great work! Have a beautiful weekend

49. Sonya says:

I made these last night and they are so freakin’ good! I especially love the bottom date layer and am cooking up some wonderful ideas as to what I can use the recipe for next!

1. Wonderful Sonya! So happy you liked them! :)

50. Toni says:

These look so good! I’ll definitely be baking these.
    Have you considered adding a print option to the recipes so it is possible to print the recipe only and not the how-to blog portion?
    I love your site and love the new look, though.

1. cck says:

Hi Toni,

I’m working on it. Unfortunately, you have to add each recipe individually… so I will probably just do all the future recipes (and then go back to old ones when I get a chance).

Until I get to the old recipes, you can always copy/paste just the recipe portion into a word document. (If you tried to do that yesterday, it wouldn’t allow you to copy, as my web designer was playing with some settings and trying different things. But it should work again now.)

1. Toni says:

Thanks Katie. I’m able to copy\print now.
        I’m looking forward to having the print option in the future but at least I know I can easily copy\print when needed. :-)

51. OMG okay, your blog looks amazing. Hands down!!!!!

52. Kit-Kat says:

Where’s your pretty logo on the top of the web page??
    Other than that, I really like your new layout

53. Laura Miller says:

Sounds like a homemade larabar topped with frosting… Sounds good to me!

Think pb can be subbed for almond butter?

By the way, Katie, I am loving the way the site looks! It’s very clean and aesthetically appealing.

1. Hi Laura, the consistency will not be exactly the same as almond butter is a softer smoother consistency, but it would still taste great!

54. Faye says:

Fudge chocolate bars goes a long way because one bite can fill you up.

55. Sam says:

I just tried making these. They’re pretty delicious, but I was a little surprised about how moist the top layer came out. Based on the pictures above and the description, I was somewhat under the impression that (after being frozen) the top layer would adopt a fudge-like consistency and it ended up being more like a custard. I had to substitute store-brand regular peanut butter for the almond butter though, so maybe it’s the extra oil or something that’s the culprit?

As mentioned before though, totally delicious, and will have no problem getting them eaten.

1. Anonymous says:

My topping turned out too runny as well. Perhaps my bananas were too ripe? Even so, they are so yummy! I think adding a bit of coconut oil next time would firm it up for sure. Any suggestions Katie?

1. The topping will be runny unless it has been set in the freezer, then thawed slightly when eaten. These are definitely meant to be more of a “frozen” dessert!! :-)

2. Anonymous says:

I left mine in the freezer for much longer than 30 minutes and it is still liquidy. Do you have a suggestion? They taste great!

3. Monica says:

56. Josephine says:

Oh wow, I love your new blog design :) Sooo much better <3 Also, nice fudge, yummy

57. Vanessa says:

LOVE the new blog design! Congrats

58. Helen says:

These look so good! I can’t wait to try it.
    Also, I love your new blog design. =)

59. Chloe Western says:

I have ALOT of almond pulp leftover from making almond milk. Do you think I could sub almond pulp for the almonds and walnuts and the recipe still work?

1. I’m no sure how the base would hold together with almond pulp! You could try! And just use extra walnuts!

60. stephanie k says:

Any ideas on substituting for bananas in this recipe? I’m not a fan in using avocados in desserts (love their taste too much to waste it that way lol) but I’m allergic to raw bananas. Thanks!
    ps. I just learned about Cholecystokinin (hormone in our GI system) in med school and we use the abrev CCK so I keep thinking of Chocolate Covered Katie! haha

1. I’d like to know what could be subbed, too; I’m also allergic to bananas! I’d use avocado if I had to but I’d love an alternative.

1. Hey Stephanie and Sam, you could give raspberries a try and add in some ground flax meal with a little water (the flax “egg” idea)! This would change the taste of the top fudge part but it would still taste delicious!

61. Yum! I love chocolate and it loves my hips. lol I’m definitely giving this a try. Thanks for linking up at Transformed Tuesday. Hugs, Peggy

62. gk says:

these look great! when you say “natural” almond butter, do you mean raw? or did you use roasted? can’t wait to make them.

1. Hey Gk, By natural almond butter I mean almond butter with no additives (sugar,oils) just almonds as the only ingredient! :-)

63. Okay… So I know I gave up sweets for lent this year… Yes… All sweets… But these brownies are behaving like ultimate tease nobody likes. Except for me. Perhaps these don’t have to count as a dessert. Brownies could mean anything, really. I could claim them to be “breakfast brownies” of some sort. You know… Totally disgusting and non-dessert-like at all.

Yeah, I like it. Let’s go with that.

1. Oh, and I’m LOVING the new look. Sophisticated, fun, yet flirty.

64. Laura Micklich says:

I love the new look! And it was a great idea to share that recipe :)

65. Laura Gay says:

I’m looking at the blender picture with the bananas and I can’t tell what the pale item is that’s on top of the nut butter. Looks like apples? Thanks!

66. Gigi says:

Just made these the other night for a family gathering. Everyone loved them! I made them in an 8×8 pan, so they were a little thin, but still delicious! The only downside for me was that I was a little disappointed with the consistency. I feel like they didn’t really solidify in the freezer and by the time I got them out of the pan, they didn’t really look the way they do in the picture. After keeping them in the freezer for 24 hours, they were much more solid, but still had a softness to them. In the future I might keep them in the freezer longer before cutting them.

1. Hi Gigi, yes I think freezing time depends on the thickness and maybe even the freezer! They are best once set and frozen then thawed slightly before enjoyed! :-)

2. cc says:

Gigi, Thanks 4 posting your review. I found it very helpful–it’s just what I was looking 4 before attempting this one! I AM wondering about the taste too though… they look like they’d taste fudgey with that texture, does it taste extra fudgey? Can u taste the bananas at all?

1. Gigi says:

Hi CC,
        Glad you found my comment helpful! These bars are really good and definitely taste fudgey. They are really the perfect amount of sweetness. You can definitely taste the bananas, so I think I would describe the taste as a chocolate-banana fudge. If you are looking for a traditional fudge taste and texture, these may not give that to you, but they are fudgey and have a richness to them. I would try them! As mentioned in my previous posting, I would keep them in the freezer for a longer time so that they will cut more cleanly. Also, if you have a smaller pan than 8×8 that would be good too so they come out a little thicker. I hope you will enjoy them!

2. CC says:

Thanks again Gigi, great 2 know bcz I know some folks that r true chocolate purist & wouldn’t want a banana flavor in there :O) I love using Katie’s recipes 2 intro people into delish, healthy desserts @ potlucks! So thanks again, great 2 know about the heads up on freezing 4 texture & the banana taste! I am sure I personally will enjoy them! Still eating my way thru Katie’s cookies & deep dish cookie pie :OD

67. Yum! I love how healthy your recipes are! I am going to have to try these!

68. jane says:

I couldn’t figure out why I’ve never in my life heard of an Eatmore bar. I think it’s because they are only sold in Canada (and now online retailers like Amazon)…anyone know if that is true?

1. They are a Hershey’s product! I’m surprised they aren’t found in the US! Hmm!

69. OMG, Christal these bars look absolutely fricking amazing. I can’t *wait* to try them!!! Thanks so much for the recipe! And KATIE!!!! I lurve, lurve, lurve, lurve, lurve the new site!!!! It’s so cute!!! Loves it! Great job!

70. Sheelagh says:

Hey Katie,
    Just made these for my family and they were a HUGE hit. So healthy and delicious! Also, loving the new layout — very nice!

71. Kas says:

What would you suggest as a substitute for banana? I’m allergic to it, which makes taking advantage of healthy dessert recipes difficult sometimes!

1. Hi Kas! I suggested earlier trying a flax “egg” made with ground flax and water and then raspberries! The fudge taste taste will be different and the consistency may be a little less “creamy”! But worth a try :-)

1. Joelle says:

Hi, Just wondering if you used roasted or raw almond butter.

2. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Either is fine.

72. Cheri Graham says:

My son is allergic to Walnuts, will other nuts be easy substituted for them with the same outcome.

1. Yep! Cashews or pecans would work!

73. Violet says:

Ok maybe someone can answer this for me… why are dates so common in these types of healthy foods as opposed to, say, prunes? Prunes are already super soft (no soaking required) and cheaper… so why dates?

1. I think dates are sweeter so they work better in desserts?? That’s my guess! :-)

1. Anonymous says:

hm ok thanks. I’m going to make these today!

2. Violet says:

I DID make these today and they’re yummy! Ended using prunes+dried figs (dates were just too pricey!) and I don’t know if there’s a big taste difference but mine are good anyway! Thanks for the recipe!

74. LOVING the redesign. Looks so totally grown up and stuff 😉 It doesn’t want to work on my android phone though– everything is all out of order/not showing up at all. Not sure if this is growing pains or a code problem, but I thought you’d wanna know

75. Lynne says:

Besides thoroughly enjoying your recipes – your redesigned website looks great!

76. KJ says:

I am allergic to almonds- would it be possible to use more walnuts instead? Or maybe even a different nut all together? Also- would peanut butter be an OK substitute for the almond butter? Thank you!

1. Hey KJ! You could use more walnuts or try cashews, peanuts, or pecans instead! Also you can sub PBS for almond butter but the fudge consistency will be a little less smooth and creamy-like! Still taste great though! :-)

1. KJ says:

Thank you Christal!

77. Char says:

My two favorite food bloggers lol! Christal I have made your healthy no bake fudge many times, looking forward to trying this dessert too

1. Hey Char! So happy to hear you’ve already tried another recipe! I hope you like this one! :)

78. I can’t believe I found this! A healthy brownie that actually looks sinfully good. Can I ask what type of light source you used for the main image?

1. Hey Jenn! I used natural lighting, the squares were on a plate on a windowsill!

79. PollyS says:

My husband is on a raw diet
    I am on a fat free vegan diet
    My birthday was Sunday
    I made this non-sinfully delicious concoction
    I cannot stop eating it
    My children said it was too chocolatey. Crazy kids. More for me!
    Thanks so much for sharing!

1. So glad to hear that Polly! I guess you will just get more! :)

80. Danielle says:

These look so delicious! Do the almonds need to be raw, or is roasted ok as well?

1. Hey Danielle, I prefer raw almonds, but you could use roasted too, I would just make sure they are unsalted!

81. Josee Mathieu says:

Hello there!!

I prepared those delicious healthy “eatmore” fudge bars. They were amazingly savoury and decadent! But maybe my bananas were too big ’cause the preparation didn’t hold like yours! So it’s a bit messy but oh so delish!!! Any suggestion?

1. Hey Josee! I think the most important step to getting these squares to really hold together is freezing them to the point of being solid, then thawing slightly before eating! :)

82. Nanette says:

Hi Katie :)

I posted a comment through Pinterest a week or so ago, but was unable to read your response. I wrote to you asking if I could make these using pasteurized honey instead because I’m pregnant. I wasn’t sure if they would come out right. Please let me know. My craving won’t stop until I have them! Lol Thank you :)

83. Lauren says:

Wow, these look sinful, can’t wait to try them!
    Though I’m confused by the link at the beginning of the post. Katie, did you just link back to your own blog? Seems a little silly

84. Toni says:

Your recipe looks so much better than the one posted on :-)

85. Ana says:

Hello!!! What can I use instead of almond butter??
    I can’t find that here in my country :)
    I can’t wait to to this recipe!!!

86. Rebecca says:

These taste amazing! I did find though that I had to freeze them quite a bit longer than thirty minutes though, but it was definitely worth the wait!

87. stanlee says:

these are great.. i have already made two batches. I used a smaller loaf pan the bottom would be very thin in a square pan. The top is pretty delicious. Yumm. The family votes all thumbs ups

88. Lori says:

These are great! I first made them your way (with agave). In the next batch, I substituted 1/8 cup maple syrup for the bananas. This was also amazing. Then I mixed together equal parts maple syrup, agave, & almond butter. This tastes like the most amazing toffee ever! I bet you could come up with a copycat Heath bar recipe using it. Please post it if you do. Thanks!

89. Johanne says:

These are super delicious!

90. Gabriele says:

Hello! I have never been to Iceland but your recipes looking so good! This recipe or another would be great for – please check it out. I am promoting every recipe on Twitter, Fb and Pinterest – all are growing too. Have a great day!

91. Abigail says:

Are the almonds raw or toasted? The recipe doesn’t say.

92. Lisa says:

This recipe was super easy to prepare, but I found the icing was overwhelmingly banana-y. Maybe next time I’ll try a little more cocoa powder, or 1.5 bananas. My bananas were fully yellow without any brown spots, so maybe leaving them to ripen a little more might do the trick. Thanks for all the great recipes, Katie!

93. Miriam says:

Wow! These look delicious AND I happen to have all the ingredients in the house (when does that ever happen?!). Just set up the dates to soak. Yum!!

94. Corinne says:

I made these the other day for my dad who is fasting white sugar for Lent. I made them with carob powder instead of cocoa, and they were incredible!!! The bottom is so chewy and scrumptious, I’m going to make a batch of just the bottom, freeze, slice into bars and dip in dark chocolate for a healthy chocolate bar alternative. And the top is so creamy and sweet… Pure decadence without any guilt! I was amazed!

95. mary says:

Hi! Made these today and the top layer wont set-up after 2 hours in the freezer.
    What did I do wrong?????
    It still tastes AMAZING, just not firm.

96. Ginette says:

Your recipe calls for Almond butter. I’m allergic to almonds, what can i substitute with>

97. AJ says:

Hi Katie,

I just made this as an after dinner treat tonight! GREAT SUCCESS! Thanks for another winner!

98. Ginette says:

I’m allergic to Almonds, what can i use instead of almond butter?

99. Carolyn says:

Any ideas on a substitute for bananas in this recipe? If you want to see someone literally bounce off of or climb walls give my son bananas or oranges.

100. Gini says:

Katie….I LOVE LOVE LOVE your recipes. I can’t wait to try all of them!!!!!

101. Kristina says:

These look amazing! I want to make them for the family Easter dessert. I’ve never bought dates before…where would one find them (what section of the store)?

1. Near the raisins and other dried fruit. Sometimes it’s the baking aisle, sometimes near the veggies. Ask a clerk where the raisins are, and the dates are usually in the same area.

102. Nicole S says:

I followed this recipe exactly and the brownies have been in the freezer for over an hour and the “fudge” is very liquidity and I can’t seem to cut them since it is so liquidity. Should I just leave then in the freezer over night and try cutting them in the morning?

1. Tif says:

I just make them last night and they do firm up but it takes longer than an hour. Overnight would be perfect!

1. Shae says:

I’m having the same issue. After the recommended 30 minutes in the freezer, they’re still too soft to cut. It’s great tasting goop, but I hope it firms up overnight!

103. Queen says:

i love it

104. kristina says:

Okay, so I found some dates today, but they seemed pretty plump. I’ve never had them before. Would I still soak them in water? Thanks so much for the help.

105. Tif says:

I made these last night and they are wonderful! And they seriously look just like the picture. I admit I was skeptical. I didn’t think something with no real sugar could look that good. But they do and they taste that good too! Thanks for a great recipe!

106. Lynne says:

I was so excited for those recipe! But mine never set up in the freezer! Is there a baking step that is missing????

1. Mary says:

Mine did not set in the freezer either Lynne.
      They tasted great but were so messy to eat. They are not something I would serve to guests as they will get chocolate all over themselves LOL!

107. Demelza says:

These look really good! However, I can’t eat nuts – do you have any suggestions for substituting the nut ingredients? I’m assuming I can substitute the almond butter for coconut oil or cocoa butter, but not sure about the actual nuts.

108. jessica b says:

i found this recpie on pinterest and made it over the weekend with carob powder – it was amazing! my 2yo son LOVES it and i love that he’s not getting tons of crazy chocolate in his system. thanks for coming up with something so tasty and amazing!!

109. Dimitra says:

Hi! Love the look of these and just wanted to know how long they last and also do you make almond butter or buy it? TIA.

110. Krithi says:

Made this recipe yesterday and O.M.G. so so good!! Even my husband who doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth devoured every bite.
    Thank you for sharing this!

111. AG says:

What a treat, thanks for sharing. The bottom layer is very good and larabar-esque. I used brown rice syrup instead of honey and they came out great.

112. celia says:

i will make it later it souunds good thanks

113. Elizabeth says:

I actually found these recently on FitSugar and made them with maple syrup in the topping and almond meal in the crust – they are SO delicious, I had to reblog them myself!! I LOVE using dates for sweetness! I’m not vegan, but I definitely like a lot of ways vegan recipes create sweets that are so yummy but still healthy!

114. Lauren says:

These look awesome! My husband is allergic to raw almonds & walnuts – can I substitute with unsalted peanuts?

115. Michelle says:

Hey there! Let me start by saying I LOVE this website and appreciate all the hard work you put in to it. I am a photographer and lover of whole food and I am constantly making recipes healthy if I can…I get so excited! I just wanted to point out that recipes like this one really are fantastic tasting and using whole foods IS perfect for eliminating toxins, etc…but this is not good for weight management or even long term health as you are still combining high fat foods (which I do not believe are bad at all) with high carbs (which your body treats as sugar). Your body still goes into insulin overdrive to burn all the fuels you are feeding it thus you are still contributing to insulin resistance over time (leading to so many health issues down the road)! We should not eliminate either one from our diet, after all low glycemic carbs and healthy fats are very good for us but certainly not combined.

116. Isabel says:

Just made these last night! I thought they were great, but there were a few hitches. First of all, I loved the base, and thought it tasted awesome. However, I was not a huge fan of the topping. I guess I was very surprised by how much the flavor of bananas overpowered every other flavor, including the chocolate. This, I was sad about, because I love chocolate and only tolerate bananas. Second of all, I froze the desert for 30 minutes as suggested and it came out gelatinous and mushy- not at all fudgey. It got better after a total of 2 hours of freezing, but it was still very difficult to serve. All in all, in the future, I would change the topping completely by using greek yogurt (I am not vegan) cocoa powder, dates and honey to sweeten (though less), peanut butter (I used this substitution this time around and it worked well), and perhaps avocado for added creaminess.

Thank you so much for the idea! Would you mind answering this question for me? Why do you think my topping was to liquid-y?

117. elli says:

Can you use pb instead of almondbutter? Or how do you make almondbutter, or is it something you buy?

118. Eva Marie says:

The base reminds me of those “lar bars” but they do not have a delicious fudge-y chocolate layer! Making these tomorrow!

119. JolliH says:

I’m pleased to make my family desserts from your blog. These were a hit! We’ve also enjoyed your blondies, brownie batter, gluten-free brownies and our favorites – betterfinger bars! I’m going to try a new recipe every week. Thanks Katie!

120. Autumn says:

These are quite easy to make (if you have a good food processor). They are not as rich as the pictures look but they are delicious and my kids went crazy over them.
    Thanks again CCK!

121. Lauren says:

I can’t thank you enough for this awesome recipe. I’ve made it twice now and I have to confess, I think my favourite part of it is licking spatula after each step … soooo good! It takes a lot of strength to get it into the pan without just eating it straight out of the food processor bowl. It’s hard to believe this is actually healthy because it tastes so decadent. The first time I made this I followed it exactly, and the second time I added in some unsweetened coconut in both layers and that was really great too. I love how simple it is, I know I will make this again and again!

122. jaime says:

mine were kinda thin… how did you get them so thick as in the picture. declicious but just not substantial enough to be considered “brownie-like”

1. Hi Jaime,
      I’d recommend contacting Crystal for all recipe questions, as this is her recipe :).

123. amcken3 says:

That’s A LOT of sugar!…yes natural sugars but the body knows sugar as sugar. I’ll keep searching for a good stevia recipe. Thanks though.

124. Dan says:

If you actually cut them into 16 squares they are pretty good. About 2068 calories in the whole thing, so each square is ~130 calories.

125. Teresa says:

I made these last night. They are to die for

126. Kelli says:

Made these this morning… Soooo good but very rich. My mom and sister said it was too much of a dark chocolate flavor for them, BUT I totally loved them and surprisingly so did my 2yr old and 4 yr old boys! We’re already downtown half a pan. And I plan on sharing with my inlaws tomorrow. Thanks so much for the delicious healthy recipe!

127. Lilian says:

I don’t have any almond butter so can I use peanut butter instead? Would it make a huge difference?

1. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work.

1. Alicia says:

I used peanut butter it turned out perfect.

128. Alicia says:

This is very yummy. I love the topping portion. Thank you.

129. Sheila says:

Just made these, and they are delicious! I used frozen bananas, but defrosted them first. The texture was perfect, and it came out tasting very banana-y. Maybe because I used frozen bananas? Next time I will use fresh bananas to see if they taste any different. I also added more honey to try to calm down the banana flavor, and it worked out well. Then again, I really don’t mind the taste of bananas.
    Thank you for the recipe!

1. Sheila says:

Oh, and I should add that I used peanut butter instead, and I barely tasted the peanut butter. Still tasted great!

130. fran says:

OMG just made these Healthy Eatmore Fudge Chocolate Bars and all I have to add is yum yum yum!!!! Cannot wait to try more of your recipes!!!

Thanks – for a very healthy and OMG tummy good snack!

131. Melanie says:

These look so delicious but what if you don’t have a food processor? =(

132. Megan Philpott says:

Tried the eat more recipe and it tasted great! But the top part didn’t ‘set’ and stayed very sticky which made it difficult to cut and didn’t present well on the plate. Any ideas why? Otherwise, it tasted fantastic!

133. Holly says:

I think these are good but they have a really strong banana flavor. I wonder if applesauce can be used instead?

134. 241Lady says:

I really appreciate your tutorial on this dessert. I am suggesting you to a small group of women that I participate with in trying to lose weight. All of us have at least 100 lbs to lose each, so finding healthy replacements for some of those trigger desserts we’ve enjoyed so much in the past is really awesome! AND I love that you’re a nutritionist and include the nutritional information. We will be following you! Check out my blog for more information about our journey.

135. Kirsty V says:

Is there anything you could substitute bananas for? This recipe sounds so yum but any hint if banana taste and its a no go for me.

136. kathy says:

Hi there!
    Just luvvvvv your recipes! Thanks for sharing. Luved the fudge recipe but just wondered why my top layer with the banana didn’t set even though I kept in the freezer.

Many thanks

137. megan says:

Ugh why must so many lovely, healthy recipes have banana? Ive tried my best and I cannot abide them! What to do?

138. Collette says:

Making this. Looks delicious.

139. Melissa Lawrence says:

Hi Katie! These look amazing! Can we use a vita-mix if we don’t have a food processor? Thank you for sharing!

140. Mary says:

These look super fudgey. When I’ve used a banana-chocolate combo in the past, my family has never liked it. Any idea if avocado would work here?

141. Liv says:

I’ve been staring at these for hours. I must make them.

142. Connie says:

Love this recipe! Joined your Facebook group and appreciate it is you would join mine.

143. Joey says:

OMG, this is sooooo happening! Thank you, I love your recipes

144. Ceara says:

This is delicious – either would work as a perfect icing :) I did not add any honey and found the fudge to be very sweet! I also only added 3 tbsp peanut butter and replaced the last tbsp with 1 tbsp mashed up pumpkin :) These and great :)

145. Soley says:

Is there an alternative to dates for us who date-hate?

Btw – AWESOME website and thank you for all the ideas and inspiration.

1. You will have to ask Chrystal :)

146. Michele says:

These sound and look yummy. My child is allergic to nuts, however, so I’m planning on trying this with sunflower seeds and sunbutter as a substitute. <3

147. The idea of healthy chocolate bars excites me. I am halted by the use of almonds, walnuts, and almond butter though because of an allergy to nuts. Do you have any suggestions as to how to modify this recipe so I can eat and enjoy it as well?

148. Sarita says:

These look so amazing. I have a question though – where can one find affordable dates without added sugar? All the ones I find are loaded with refined sugar, so I have yet to make much with dates. Note: I live in the midwest :)

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Look near the raisins in a regular grocery store. Brands include Sunmaid and SunSweet.

149. Batia Macales says:

I don’t own a blender or fancy mixer. I just have a cheap hand mixer. Can I still make that chocolate fudge with my hand mixer?
    Oh I have a hand held blender could I use that?

150. Tammy says:

I made these tonight really easy to make. The only problem I see with them is the strong taste of banana in them and there really messy. I waited about 3 hours for them in freezer. My husband isn’t a fan of banana so I was wondering if instead of putting banana in could you use maybe applesauce and less honey? Or is there another subistute?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment :-)

151. Amanda says:

Eatmores are my absolute favourite bar none (oo there’s a pun lol) I can’t wait to try these!

152. Claudia says:

These are a-m-a-z-i-n-g. Thanks so much for sharing!

153. Amy says:

I made these tonight. Very tasty. I think I would blanch the almonds next time to remove the skins. After 30 mins in the freezer, the topping is still soupy. Hopefully, overnight it will firm up.

154. Vicki says:

I couldn’t figure out how you got these to spread into a 9×9 pan… then I realized you said 9×5! I should have used a loaf pan. I ended up smooshing them to fit in half of my pan. The fudge topping was a bit runny. I’m guessing the size of the banana matters, so others might want to use 1 &1/2 banana’s to test for texture before adding the last 1/2. I used cacao instead of cocoa. The taste is fabulous! I love that they store perfectly in the fridge so I will have a chocolate treat ready whenever I need it! Thanks for the recipe :)

155. Kami Ayres says:

What do you think about substituting avocado for the bananas?

156. Babi says:

I just tried this recipe …the taste was good…the only problem I had is that the top layer is too soft. It’s good when it’s in the freezer, but after a few minutes later, it start to melt like ice cream . Wondering what did I do wrong.

157. Heidi says:

Can you taste the banana in them?

158. Jan says:

These sound divine except for the banana-in our house we are banana free. Any suggestions for a substitute? Thanks!

159. Crystal says:

I’m dying to make these. Deathly allergic to walnuts and pecans. Think they’d be ok with just almonds?

1. You will have to ask Crystal :)

160. Capt. ManPants says:

Is it just me that found that the dates weren’t enough? I had loads of left over topping. Would these have to be really thin?
    Doesn’t matter too much, just means I can eat the topping by the spoon, or blend more dates!
    Tasted beyond sexual though..

161. Belinda says:

OMG !!! Absolutely amazing. Was so impatient that I got brain freeze from the first piece cut straight from the freezer :) Love how fudgey they become after sitting in the fridge for a bit. Had to give most of it away as I could not stop eating. Will be making again very soon though. Thanks for a keeper recipe.

162. Sophie says:

I just made these, and they are absolutely delicious!

163. jill says:

Wow hubby LOVED these! he totally thought they were chocolate fudge brownies with chocolate icing!!

just a question- i’m not a huge fan of banana. is there anything I could substitute so it doesn’t have that banana taste?

164. Helen Waden says:

Sorry, the banana taste was too much….

165. Angel-li says:

I followed the directions perfectly, but the bottom turned out as crumbs and the top never solidified and was like a wet, messy pudding. My children and I were very disappointed as the lump of crumbs and pudding on my plate tasted wonderful….and it was a waste of very expensive ingredients. Any suggestions?

1. I would ask Miss Krystal for troubleshooting advice. Ufortunately I can’t give any, since it’s not my recipe.

166. Cheri Graham says:

Hi, Katie, I know you aren’t the original recipe creature but thought you might have a suggestion for me. I would love to make these because they look and sound delicious, however, my son is allergic to Walnuts is there another nut that would make a good substitution with little change to texture and taste. Thanks so much! I love your and send people your way all the time!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

What about pecans? Try those. Or almonds.

167. Danielle says:

Made this a few months ago as it’s been doing the rounds on Facebook under different titles. The banana totally takes over and you can’t taste anything else, still yum though

168. Divya Jain says:

Is there an alternative for almond butter!?

169. Helen says:

Hello. I made these today and the base came out fine. However, the top was way too we and watery. What is the best way to salvage it to make it thicken up? Thank you for this blog it is very inspiring.

1. Jiana says:

Helen, I felt the same way. It thickened up once it had been in the freezer over two hours. You can thicken up a dessert like this with arrowroot or cornstarch or mixing in melted coconut oil will work too, but of course adds calories. I think that freezing for longer, possibly overnight, will do the trick just fine.

170. Andrea says:

this looks sooo good, oh dear lord I think my waistline will expand if I keep looking at all these recipes because I will be tempted to make them and eat them all by myself!!

171. magnolia pudding says:

By now you know that I regularly get breakfast cereal from Trader Joe’s. Whole wheat flour not only adds fiber to your banana nut bread, but it also adds a good amount of protein.

172. Sandra says:

173. Shay says:

Just made some!!! Delicious!!! So damn good

174. Lacretia says:

I can’t wait to try this. I made something similar over the weekend but used raisins instead of dates because that’s what I had on hand.

175. Mary Wright says:

oh these look so good but my son is allergic to nuts, better give this one a miss LOL xxx

176. flavia coleman says:

Just died and went to heaven…don’t wake me

177. Cheryl says:

I am allergic to bananas, any substitutes you would recommend?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

In the recipe, it says to contact Chrystal for advice.

In the recipe, it says to contact Chrystal for advice.

178. Denise says:

“Place in freezer for 30 minutes. Cut into 16 squares. Re-freeze whatever you don’t eat, and enjoy at another time!” does this mean this goodie wouldn’t keep it’s shape at room temperature? I’m thinking of making this nutritious snack for work, which means it would be left on the counter.

179. Jiana says:

These were good! Super awesome healthy dessert. Only notes are that the top layer doesn’t really taste chocolatey. It really just tastes like frozen bananas mostly. Maybe I’ll up the cocoa amount in the future? Didn’t set up in 30 minutes (in my freezer anyways). Took about 2 hours or more. I might try adding some raw shredded coconut to the bottom layer too…yum!

180. Necia says:

This is delicious! Thank you for sharing :)

181. Raewyn says:

Wow ! I have just put the fudge in the freezer and counting down 30 , i couldnent resist the inevitable , step by step taste test , this is yummy as thank you !

182. Hi there!
    Looks so yummy! I’m good with everything except the bananas … they don’t agree with me. What can I use as a substitute? I can’t wait to try these. Thanks!!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

It says in the recipe that you should ask Crystsl for substitution questions.

183. Charlie says:

I made these tonight as the recipe looked great! So easy to make too

184. Joelle says:

Hi, just wondering if this a raw almond butter or roasted.

1. It probably will work with either, but your best bet is to ask Crystal.

185. linda sims says:

I made your eat more fudge bars for a dinner party last night. They are truly amazing!!! Will be making them often :)

186. Hi, tried this fudge recipe on Sunday and took a batch for a pre run snack [20 mile trail race!]. It was delicious and went down a treat with all the club members. So easy to make, so delicious and nutritious as well. Thank you.

187. Zoe Willet says:

I would like to see the nutritional break-down for these. It seems to me that they would be VERY high in sugar, what with the dates, bananas and honey. As a diabetic, I am always seeking low-sugar recipes without using fake sugars.

188. Cindy D. says:

Made these a couple of days ago and they were awesome! Have never cooked with dates before and have been looking for low to no sugar recipes so gave this a try. So glad that I did! My whole family loved it! Will definitely make again!!

189. Char says:

Hi. I’m looking forward to making these, but struggling with the measurements. Any chance you could give ingredient weight in grams or ounces, instead of volume in cups? Surely it would be more accurate this way and would certainly help those of us in the UK. Thanks!

190. Amanda says:

What if you added chopped cherries to the base, omitted the chocolate from the top and added a bit of whipped coconut cream instead. Would we have a black-forest thing going on??
    Also, omit the cocoa powder alltogether and add instead candied ginger and spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc..
    my mom thought it was as good as cheesecake! What??? You Rock Chrystal!!

191. mark says:

Can any of the coco powder be replaced by 99% chocolate bar?

192. Dawn laughlin says:

I just made these. Part way through I realized I had no bananas!!! So I subbed 1 organic avocado, used 1/4 p.b. and 1 extra squeeze of the Agave bottle. The frosting was so amazing that I wanted to eat it out of the processor!!! It was thick and spreadable, can’t wait to eat one. Oh wait, its called an Eatmore, so I have to eat at least 2!!

193. Anul says:

Mmmm, sounds delicious!!! I love combining, nuts, chocolate and bananas! Why do you soak the dates?

194. jackie says:

can i use steiva for sweetener i cant eat honey

195. Lori says:

can prunes be subbed for the dates?

196. Dawn Laughlin says:

These are delicious! I have made them twice and both times the bottom layer just crumbles when I take a piece out of the pan. Any idea why??
    I still eat it of course, just with a bowl and spoon!

197. john says:

Do you make any chocolate frosting’s that aren’t real healthy? If so what are they? Thanks.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Here is a link to all of Katie’s frosting recipes! Try the chocolate frosting shots or reeses fudge frosting:

198. Jill says:

This looks awesome!
    Does anyone have any ideas for a date substitute – I have a friend on low FODmap & can’t eat dates.
    Love your website Katie :)

199. Lorena says:

Does it work to do the base without the fudge top? I’m planning road trip snacks and looking for just a little less gooey/melty. It looks really good!

200. Lynn says:

My daughter is allergic to almonds and dairy. What is a good substitute for almond butter?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sunbutter, peabutter, etc.

201. Jessica says:

Just curious, what is the purpose or function of pitted dates in baking? And what do they substitute for in non-healthy baking?

202. Kimberley White says:

Hi. I made these yesterday and put them in the freezer as stated them in the refrigerator overnight. The topping is still very sloppy. Any suggestions???
    They taste lovely, but very sloppy to eat for my kids!!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Hi there,
      It says to ask Crystal any questions because this is her recipe, not Katie’s. Good luck!

203. Jamie says:

What can I use in the eatmore fudge squares instead of bananas? I’m allergic to bananas and I really want to sample these!

204. myriam says:

I have been making these for a long time and its my hubby’s favorite!!! But I lost my recipe so I was on google looking for it and another website from another girl came up before yours with exactly all the same pictures as you ( the bars and the processus) seemed a little odd! Just wanted to let you know :) xo

205. Kiran says:

I just made these and they turned out great!! Thank you so much for the recipe!

The only problem though is I had made them for someone and the top portion it melts within 10-15 minutes! Do you have any suggestions on how to make the icing part less liquidy for the future?

Thank you again for a great recipe I can eat guilt free :)

206. Sandy says:

I’ve been off refined sugar for about a month now and mostly using raw honey and different pureed fruits for sweetening. I feel lots better, but I must admit that quite a few of the “healthy” dessert recipes I’ve tried from different bloggers were not so yummy and didn’t even look like the pictures even though I made sure I was following their instructions to a T. I tried these today and they looked like the picture, were super easy to make, and tasted AMAZING! Thank you!

207. Blanca says:

I made these last night. I used peanut butter instead of almond butter because it was all I had. They are delicious! Fudgey yummy goodness!

208. gemma says:

Just a note, honey is not vegan (comes from a bee) and vegans who dont eat it are not strict, theyre just vegan.

209. Shaheen says:

Hi.. I dont have almond butter here. Wot substitute can i use plz? Is olive butter ok? Thx

210. Peta says:

My son has horrible reactions to preservatives and especially refined sugar. So much so, even at 7 years old he sees it and says no to chocolate etc. He becomes a gremlin with water thrown on it.
    This sounds like a lovely recipe. I’m wondering if I can use maple syrup instead of honey, only personal preference with taste. It wouldn’t alter the consistency would it?

211. cayla says:

What could I use in place of dates? I have a hard time with the sugars.

212. maud560 says:

Hi Katie,
    These bars look and taste great, though I think I might have made a mistake when making this today. I couldn’t find any almond butter so I substituted it with regular butter. I also used two bananas that were quite small and my honey wasn’t that solid. I think all these things contributed to the top layer not freezing solid. Do you have any tips for the next time I’ll make these?
    Best wishes, Maud

213. Tina says:

I’m a sugarholic. I love sweets and treats, but I had to recently give up all refined sugar. I was super skeptical that these would taste decent. I was pleasantly surprised. I love these chocolate bars. I keep them in the freezer. One small square satisfies my need for refined sugar. Thank you for a recipe that is helping me to survive my transition into a new lifestyle.

214. Marín 49 says:

Sorry flor the question, but is there any form yo transport these bars out of my house conserving them Witherspoon the same texture?

215. Marín 49 says:

autocorrector, sorry for that, I used Spanish keyboard

216. leslie says:

Just made these, waiting for them to set in the freezer. I did lick the spatula and I liked what I tasted. Second recipe made from this website. Thank you!

217. Alexis says:

I made this last night and WOW so delicious!! I followed the recipe exactly and it does help to freeze them overnight. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian I just love these for the taste. I was in search of a dessert under 150 calories that was healthy. My husband and two kids LOVED these. My husband wants to add some coffee to the mix next time…I think that would be an interesting adult treat. Thank you so much, I am new to your blog and can’t wait to try some more of your recipes.

218. cassandra says:

Katie, i love in south africa and i LOVE your healthy treats
    I have a pilates studio and your pics and recepies are up all over. For all my clients to try.
    Thank u for being do creative and sharing your passion
    Kind regards

219. Cindy says:

Oh holy Hell! Is it a bad thing to lick the food processor blades? These are so easy and so good. I made them today for my book club.