Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal - it tastes like eating a giant oatmeal cookie for breakfast.

My kitchen has seen everything from Chocolate Oatmeal to Peanut Butter Oatmeal.

And a quick google search for “oatmeal recipes” will show you that I’m hardly alone in my proclivity for oatmeal experimentation. Recipes exist for carrot cake oatmeal, spinach oatmeal, Oreo oatmeal, soy sauce oatmeal…

oatmeal

However, sometimes the classic is best.

(I’m looking at you, soy sauce oatmeal!)

oatmeal raisin

Oatmeal-raisin is always a classic; like the little black dress of breakfasts. It will never go out of style.

oatmeal

Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Oatmeal

Print this recipe

(Makes 4 servings)

• 3 cups milk of choice (720g)
  • 1 cup steel-cut oats (160g)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt (I think oatmeal tastes much better with a little salt, but you can use less if you normally make–and enjoy–oatmeal without salt.)
  • 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon (level)
  • 1/2 to 1 cup raisins (70-140g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract (4g)
  • sweetener and toppings of choice

If you have a slow cooker: Lightly grease the bottom of the crock pot, then add first 5 ingredients and stir. Cook on low for 3 1/2 hours. Turn off heat, then add the vanilla, sweetener of choice, and any other toppings or mix-ins you wish. (If you don’t have a crock pot, bring the milk to a boil and then add the next four ingredients. Lower to a simmer, and simmer 20-25 minutes or until thick. Then stir in the vanilla, sweetener, and other toppings of choice.) You can store leftovers in the fridge – it’s a good idea to add a little extra liquid (milk or water) when reheating.

View Nutrition Facts

oatmeal raisin

I made sure to wear green yesterday, had my Irish oatmeal for breakfast, and also attended a St. Patrick’s Day celebration. It was a crazy party: 4 girls, drinks, and an entire key lime pie cheesecake (my recipe) all to ourselves. That’s a party, right?

If there is cheesecake, it’s always a party!

IMG_0240

(Ugly nighttime lighting. Really good cheesecake!)

Question of the Day:

Would you be brave enough to try soy sauce oatmeal?

Or spinach oatmeal? Oatmeal with spaghetti sauce? Since oatmeal is a grain just like pasta and rice, I guess it’s not as weird as it sounds to flavor the grain with something like soy sauce. Still… I think I will stick to the raisins!

Link of the Day: 25 Healthy Oatmeal Recipes

Tags: , , ,

1. I love this! I make something similar almost every morning using quick oats in the microwave. Tastes just like oatmeal cookie batter :)

2. claire says:

you HAVE to try this:

oatmeal
    soy sauce
    sesame oil
    green onion

amazing. tastes like porridge but healthier and quicker!

1. Well, actually, that is a porridge, a savory one though 😉

1. claire says:

haha oops, i meant porridge in the chinese sense. it’s known as congee/jook in the english speaking world, but it’s just regular porridge here!

3. Yeah, no. No soy sauce anywhere near my breakfast foods, thank you very much.

4. This is going to sound weird, but try adding nutritional yeast to this… I make an Oatmeal Cookie Protein Shake and use a bit of it in there. It adds an awesome nuttiness! :)

5. Don’t knock soy sauce oatmeal until you’ve tried it! It goes really well with a bit of nooch, too. :)

6. Hannah says:

Just because I’m kind of daring, yes. I would probably try soy sauce oatmeal.

This looks good! I love oatmeal with raisins in it!

7. Lisa says:

I’m not a huge raisin fan, but I bet this would be good with chocolate chips instead;)
    Have you ever tried putting a tad of coconut oil on top of oats. SO good once it has cooled down slightly. It’s like a little shell of coconut.
    Ick, don’t think I could do soy sauce oats!

8. Umm…soy sauce oatmeal? Definitely not brave enough for that one. Have you tried it? I’ve considered trying savory oatmeal (avocado, egg, etc) but always end up sticking to fruit.

9. Anonymous says:

I make savory oats all the time, I think my favorite is adding nutritional yeast and a little garlic. Top that with eggs or roasted veggies & beans and it’s perfect for any meal!

10. Teresa says:

I would definitely try savory oatmeal. Not sure if I’d like the soy sauce version, but one with spinach and other veggies might be delicious.

No raisins for me though. They are fine on their own, but dreadful in baked goods or such where they absorb liquid and plump up. Truly appalling texture. :p

11. Ashleysh22 says:

Oooh this sounds delicious! Tough i think I’d make it without the raisins. Lol. I know that defeats the point of oatmeal raisin cookie but I’m down with oatmeal cookie oatmeal!

12. Sharky says:

Yum, classic oatmeal with raisins. I make this exact thing all the time, although I use 2 cinnamon sticks rather than ground cinnamon. Just wanted to let your other readers know that this works really well in a packed lunch for school or work — it’s delicious cold. (I know people will be skeptical, but trust me — it’s very dessert-like.)

1. Annie says:

Ive eaten this cold when I had some leftover from breakfast… you’re right, it is still delicious! And actually in a different way than hot

13. Allergicat says:

Have you ever made no-oat meal using coconut flour? I’ve been thinking about trying some of your fabulous recipes with coconut flour in place of the oats. It is low carb, high fiber, and high protien!

1. cck says:

Yes, I actually have a recipe for it… I just need to find a good time to post it :).

14. I love slow cooker oatmeal, it’s the best way to have it! Love your recipe!!

15. Simple and delicious! But I also really like soy sauce in my oats. :-) And lots and lots of nooch.

16. Emily says:

I actually LOVE “savory” oatmeal (HUGE fan of salt over here). Since being Gluten and Dairy free at some breakfast diners or spots can be tricky, sometimes I order plain oatmeal and an over-easy egg and season with salt and hot sauce. A savory, mexican flavored breakfast can be made with oatmeal/millet/quinioa/brown rice and some beans, protein of choice and green chili (YUUUUMMM). Once or twice when out of rice and/or time I’ve made my dinner stir fry and put it on oatmeal (or my gf hot cereal). If you use just water, rather than milk, the flavor and consistency is just “carby” like rice or another grain. Once you can break free of the expectation that oatmeal must be “sweet,” there are LOADS of options with it!

17. Carolynn says:

Spinach, spaghetti, pizza, and taco oatmeal sound great! Not so sure about soy sauce though, but I’d be willing to try it.

What about a BBQ chicken oatmeal?
    Or sweet potato oatmeal?
    I just ate but now I’m getting hungry again!

1. Annie says:

Love the sound of pizza flavor and sweet potato…. What about sour cream & onion? Or salt & vinegar?

18. Dylan says:

I bet the soy sauce with oatmeal would be great. I love to put tamari almonds and maple syrup in my yogurt, so I bet something like that with oatmeal would be delicious. There’s this restaurant in LA that serves sweet coconut toast with a fried egg and sesame-soy sauce on top, and it is terrifically delicious. I love sweet and salty :)

19. Happy Oatmeal Cookie Day :-)

20. Jen E says:

Soy sauce oatmeal is disgusting lol. I tried it a few weeks ago and I could not eat it all it was so nasty but hubby liked it ick.