Healthy Cadbury Creme Eggs

Healthy Cadbury Creme Eggs?!

Homemade Cadbury Crème Eggs recipe that doesn't use sugar, corn syrup, or artificial colors or additives.  Instructions here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/20/healthy-cadbury-creme-eggs/

Today, those ubiquitous Cadbury Creme Easter eggs are receiving a much-needed healthy makeover.

• Goodbye high fructose corn syrup.
  • Goodbye artificial flavors.
  • Goodbye Yellow #6.

(By the way, if you google to try and find out what ingredients comprise Yellow #6, you get some creepy results…)

Homemade Cadbury Crème Eggs that can be made without any sugar, corn syrup, or artificial colors or additives.  Instructions here: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/03/20/healthy-cadbury-creme-eggs/

Instead of stuffing the homemade vegan Cadbury creme eggs with a gloppy mess of powdered sugar, corn syrup, and butter, I decided on something way better…

Filling them with ice cream!

vegan cadbury eggs

Healthy Cadbury Creme Eggs

Yolks & Cream Filling:

• 1 bag frozen mango or peaches (240g)
  • 1/4 cup milk of choice (60g)
  • pinch stevia extract OR 1-2 tsp sugar
  • cream cheese (such as Tofutti) OR vanilla ice cream of choice (such as my healthy ice cream recipe) if you prefer ice cream eggs

Chocolate: (Or skip the chocolate recipe below and simply melt a bowl of chocolate chips)

• 1/4 cup cocoa or cacao powder (20g)
  • 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil, liquid (20g)
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup or agave (15g)

First, get out an egg-shaped mold (available at places like Michaels, for about $1, in the cake-decorating section) and put it in the freezer to chill. Then make the yolks. (If you wish to save time, you can skip the yolk recipe and simply buy a carton of mango ice cream, such as SoDelicious brand. Or skip the mango and use more cream cheese naturally colored by mixing in a small pinch turmeric.) To make the yolks, combine the first three ingredients in a high-powered blender and blend until completely smooth. Scoop out and freeze while you make the chocolate. Combine chocolate ingredients and stir to form a thin sauce, then take out the chilled candy mold and paint chocolate in a thin layer around the bottom and up the sides of each egg, using a small spoon. Freeze five minutes, then do another layer. Fill with the ice cream or cream cheese that has been warmed to a spreadable consistency, then add a tiny scoop of the yellow filling to the middles. You’ll have leftover yolk filling, as the larger recipe is necessary for smooth blending. I made “deviled” eggs by leaving them open, but you can meld two together by coating the seal with extra chocolate sauce if you’d prefer.

View Healthy Cadbury Cream Eggs Nutrition Facts

vegan cadbury cream eggs

cadbury eggs

Question of the Day: Have you ever tried a Cadbury Creme egg?

I’ve actually never eaten a real Cadbury Creme egg. My childhood Easter baskets were filled with so many chocolate bunnies that I guess there just wasn’t room for any egg-shaped confections. I’m curious as to what they taste like… Might have to order a vegan Cadbury Creme egg online to see. Apparently they really do make such a thing!

LINK OF THE DAY:

Vegan Peanut Butter Pie no w mark

No-Bake Peanut Butter Pie

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I gotta say … I try to eat healthy 80% of the time in my life but Cadbury Creme Eggs definitely fall into that ‘less than healthy’ 20%. I’m totally indulging in a few of the real ones this year – but will be making these as well!

1. Dana says:

I agree with you on this one! I eat well most of the time and don’t really eat processed food, but Cadbury eggs were my FAVORITE as a kid, and I still love them… I don’t have the heart to change them!

2. Michelle says:

This looks so yummy!

3. Wow…I wouldn’t have thought it would be possible to make this healthy, so thank you! I do find that creepy about Yellow #6 but not surprising, unfortunately…

4. Mallory says:

I can’t lie, the real ones are pretty good. But the gloppy mess inside is SO rich that you’re almost sick by the time you’re done with it!! I ate A LOT of candy before going vegan/becoming more healthy and I wouldn’t put this at the top of my list or anything. As far as holiday candy, I really liked the palmer ones that were little circles with peanut butter and chocolate. Do you know what I’m talking about? Haha. But yeah… you’re not missing that much =)

5. Faith says:

These look tasty! I wondered when I saw the picture if you had ever eaten the Cadbury version. They don’t actually have a white and yolk portion, but instead the entire interior is a beige type color (not as white as actual cream). I love the fruit incorporation here though!

The reason you can’t find an ingredients list for yellow #6 is because it is the sole ingredient. It also goes by the name tartrazine (wikipedia here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartrazine). So basically, yellow #6 is just a common name for a specific chemical.

1. Veronica says:

I’m not sure what country you’re in (I think that makes a difference), but the Cadbury Eggs in the states do have a white and a yellow portion. I’ve probably eaten my weight in them over the years; their imagine is burned into my brain. And, I Googled a photo.

1. Anonymous says:

Yeah, in Australia they are definitely white with a yolk inside – we used to stir them around so they became a pale yellow colour.. but honestly I never cared for them. The are way too sickly. My old school friend however, ate a record 45 creme eggs over the course of the months leading up to Easter. Gross!!

1. Courtney says:

Yep all the cadbury creme eggs I have ever eaten have all had a white center and yellow ‘yolk” inside.

2. Trish says:

I’ve eaten Cadbury Creme Eggs in several countries, and they all are white with the yolk. And delicious…best in the UK though!

2. I think she’s referring to the side effects rather than the ingredient list in the dye. All of those dyes have been linked to one thing or another. It’s best just to avoid them all together.

1. I think both ingredients and side effects are not pretty…

6. Alyssa says:

How fun! And very daring of you 🙂 Those egg shells look precarious! The real Cadbury Creme eggs are pretty fab, but these look like a must try!

7. M says:

Ok this is not a Cadbury egg in any way shape or form! It LOOKS kind of like one, but does that make it a Cadbury egg? I would think if you call a recipe for a food a healthy so and so, it should taste like that item… Since it is a food recipe, not a lookalike photo contest. You should have tried a Cadbury egg at least once before attempting to make a recipe for one. They taste nothing like mango or peach ice swirled ice cream in a chocolate coconut shell. Nothing at all. And they are heaven. You should’ve made some kind of vanilla creamy frosting filling sans any coconut or peach or mango whatsoever, because that is what one tastes like.

1. B says:

Oh do please lighten up. Have a little fun. These are awesome, and so festive!

1. M says:

I have plenty of fun – I eat real Cadbury eggs. My point is there’s no reason whatsoever to call this a Cadbury egg other than for search terms and web hits. It’s not a Cadbury egg. It won’t taste like a Cadbury egg. At all. If you just called it a chocolate ice cream egg, which is all it is, there wouldn’t be as much hype/gimmick. I saw the headline in my email, was excited bc I thought “Ooh a Cadbury egg! I love those.” but yet again was tricked into a recipe that has nothing to do with what it’s supposed to be!

She could have easily made a vanilla cream filling, which is what a Cadbury egg tastes like. That’s my issue with this. It’s not a Cadbury egg, don’t sell it like it is one.

1. It’s supposed to be fun, and it actually says right in the post that I didn’t go the normal route of the gloppy powdered sugar filling. The reason for calling it a Cadbury Egg is because the entire point in making them was to make them look like cadbury eggs. Even just a quick glance at the recipe will tell someone they’re not supposed to taste like the ones sold in stores. So I’m not sure why you think I’m trying to “trick” anyone :-?.

1. Anonymous says:

She thinks it because she is a miserable person. Negative people, who always try to see the worst in others, will always find something to complain about. Just ignore her and keep on doing what you’re doing. I think these are brilliant!

2. Kaylee says:

I will say that calling these “Healthy Cadbury Eggs” is slightly misleading. When I saw the header and read the rest of the post, I was still expecting something remotely similar to the original. When Katie said that she did away with the corn syrup and powdered sugar, I was intrigued at how she did this, but I was still expecting something comparable to the original.

You have to admit that saying that these are “Healthy Cadbury Eggs” and then claiming that they were intended only to *look* like such eggs (which they kind of don’t anyways) is like saying that you made “healthy chocolate chip cookies” that are made from mashed potatoes and whole black beans as the “chips”, thus tasting nothing like an actual chocolate chip cookie– instead only looking slightly like one. Hence, it is not actually a “healthy chocolate chip cookie”. Does this make sense? I like the idea and will probably try the recipe, but the name is just misleading, is all!

3. Hi Kaylee,
            Please see my reply to Jessica and Katie (a few comments below).

4. Rebecca says:

Hi Katie! I love your site because you reinvent the unhealthy treats that most people are used to eating. I don’t have the luxury of choosing to buy a disgustingly sweet “Cadbury Egg” because the ingredients will make me sick. Knowing how terrible the ingredients actually are, I would never buy them for anyone I care about either. That’s why it is so nice to have someone like you come up with such a great alternative! Anyone who is complaining about you “tricking” them is just being ridiculous and petty. If they don’t like your recipe or what it is called, then they can go eat a real Cadbury Egg. Thanks Katie for your awesome recipes, my family enjoys when I make them! We just had your “healthy shamrock shake” on St. Patrick’s Day and it was awesome!

2. Liz says:

M,
          I suggest you unsubscribe from the emails. This website clearly isn’t for you. Now, even if you disagree with something, there is a way to word it so you don’t come off as rude and disrespectful. I’m not necessarily interested in every single recipe on this site but I simply don’t make those and move on. Your negativity is ruining the experience for those of us who are ACTUALLY interested in Katie’s wonderful recipes.

1. Mariella Kruger says:

I didn’t see M as rude or disrespectful. I, too, was expecting a recipe with flavors closer to an actual Cadbury egg. I don’t think this is a “trick,” but I do find the recipe name to be unfortunate. And I find most internet interactions unfortunate because it seems like whenever someone has a valid point, but it’s different from the majority, said majority vilifies them and calls them “rude.” How about calling the recipe Cadbury Creme Eggs That Are Really Nothing Like The Real Thing Except In Looks And That Is Debatable? That might be a good compromise.

3. Sheena says:

M: So are you going to go after the Cadbury company as well? After all, they are calling their product “eggs” when clearly they aren’t eggs. Oh the horrors!

1. Anonymous says:

Correct me if I am wrong but I would also like to point out that the only recipes she actually claims to taste like the original thing are named copycat recipes (like the copycat oreos, copycat Little Debbie Cosmic Fudge brownies, etc). The point of this blog is to find a healthy way to reinvent and enjoy desserts. Anyone who has read this blog before should already know that.
            It just boggles my mind how anyone could have negative comments for such an awesome blog. I mean healthy desserts people…enough said! lol

2. Veronica says:

Chill out. It’s not like you paid for an expectation and didn’t get it; you simply opened an email. Apparently you were never taught, “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.”

3. Anonymous Pseudonymous says:

What do you mean? CCK isn’t trying to sell you anything. You don’t have to make the recipe if you don’t want to.

8. LMarie says:

I would say you are missing out if you have never tried a real Cadbury Creme Egg. My husband thinks they are gross…now that I think about it, I’m not sure he has ever had one. It may be the whole idea of eating something that is supposed to resemble a raw egg that bothers him. One is enough though. They are sooo sweet! I don’t eat sugar (cane sugar) anymore so I won’t be having any Cadbury eggs this year. I was excited when I seen your recipe. They look fun and I think the kids will love making these.

9. Emma says:

Oh my. These would taste WAAAY better than the original! Trust me, they are so digustingly sweet :/

10. Ha ha ha! I love it!! So perfect! I have to give these one a try!

11. Lisa says:

These are a cute idea! They freaked me out a bit at first, since they look a lot like a real egg ha.
    My friends love these, so I’d totally make it for them, I’ve never been a fan of the cadbury eggs, brownies on the other hand I can do!

12. Jessalynn says:

These look way tastier than Cadbury eggs! I find Cadbury eggs to be way too sweet and sugary.

13. Those look amazing! I’ve eaten Cadbury Creme Eggs occasionally (mostly around Easter), and I will admit that I love them and they are delicious. However, this looks even better than the real thing. I *must* make these! 😀

14. Carolyn says:

Yellow #5 is tartrazine, which is a petroleum derivative! O.o Even creepier!

15. Amy McCann says:

I have had the creme egg, but the “white” grosses me out. Let me tell you, though, the caramel eggs are too.die.for! I think I can make it with this idea! Thanks as always Amazing CCK!!!

16. So glad you’re in full Easter mode b/c I’ve not been able to get their yet ~ these look great, though 🙂

17. I’m obsessed with cadbury eggs! I never really thought about the creepy ingredients though. :/ Anyway you could make the creme another way without ice cream? I’m assuming the creme is just sugar and weird ingredients…hmm

1. You could try this: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Cadbury-Creme-Eggs/
      (Just sub earth balance for the butter if you are a vegan.)

18. Katie says:

Hey Katie, These look really good, I just wish they were named something else. I have a roommate who is OBSESSED with cadbury eggs, so I was really exited when I got this email, but I can’t imagine this tasting anything like the real thing.

1. Hi Katie,
      I called the actual recipe “Cadbury Cream Ice Cream Eggs,” and to be honest, I had meant to change the title of the post to that as well. When I started working on the post, my initial goal was to do a real copycat of the powdered sugar version, but I tried an experiment with protein powder and it was so awful that I scrapped my plans!
      As I told someone else above, I did see a recipe for homemade cadbury eggs if you’re interested in trying to exactly replicate the ones sold in stores: http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Cadbury-Creme-Eggs/

19. Jessica says:

I’m a little puzzled as why you would compare these to Cadbury creme eggs instead of just presenting them on their own as an Easter/spring dessert alternatives, as I can’t imagine they will taste anything alike. But, I hate the taste of Cadbury creme eggs so that is a good thing for me!

1. (See my response to Katie, a few comments above.)
      I started this post weeks ago in LiveWriter, with the initial idea of doing a copycat. When my idea changed, I remembered to change the recipe title, but not the post title… You have no idea how much I now wish I could go back and change the title!

1. Jessica says:

No worries- I hope I came across as respectful. I have been working on my own blog (not food related) and I have come to see how much time these kinds of posts require. I appreciate you continuing to share recipes with us 🙂

2. Hanna says:

Ah, but Katie, you CAN change the title. It’s pretty simple. These are clearly not Cadbury eggs, change the title to what they actually are.

1. Actually, it’s unfortunately not so simple. The title is tied to the URL (as well as the emails sent out, pings, etc.).

1. Lauren says:

If you’re using WordPress, it is possible to change the title of a post and keep the URL the same as the original 🙂

2. Sheena says:

It is doable. But its not advisable to change it after it goes live, plus it wouldn’t change the title of the emails. I think it is very strange that people are getting so upset over a simple recipe title. Maybe they should go after Cadbury. After all, they are calling their product “eggs” when clearly they aren’t eggs! 😉

20. I’ve never had Cadbury eggs before but this healthy variation sounds uber cool!