Homemade Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

Homemade Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt.

Rich and creamy like ice cream – it tastes like the inside of a Reeses peanut butter cup!

This frozen peanut butter dessert is exactly what I need right now. Here is some advice I wish I’d taken: If you ever get braces… And if they ever give you that permanent metal bar behind your front teeth after the braces come off… And if that metal bar ever happens to break sometime in the next eight years… Get it fixed immediately. Otherwise, you’ll be out hundreds of extra dollars and one very sore mouth.

I’m unfortunately learning this the hard way: my metal bar broke two years ago and I’d initially planned to make an appointment to get it fixed, but other things took precedence. I kept putting off getting it fixed, eventually forgetting about the missing bar completely. Slowly my front teeth started to shift, and when I finally did drag myself to the orthodontist again after all those years, it was a much bigger issue than simply fixing a broken metal bar. The orthodontist gave me an Invisalign-like guard to wear 24/7 for the next two months. (It’s completely unnoticeable, but it is painful as it shifts the teeth back into place.) And when the teeth shift back? Then I will still have to pay for a new metal bar.

Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

So it’s not been a fun past few days… except for all the frozen-yogurt eating! Winking smile

The retainer is not unbearably painful, but it’s uncomfortable enough that frozen yogurt is very welcome. Frozen yogurt, and smoothies, Chocolate Protein Milkshakes, and oatmeal… how I miss crunchy apples, or even chocolate bars. I am going to eat them with a vengeance when this soreness subsides. Really, though, what I hate most about the retainer isn’t the discomfort; it’s the fact I don’t have free rein to snack whenever I want. I’m accustomed to grabbing something to eat every time I walk through the kitchen or while I’m cooking, but the retainer inhibits that. It’s also apparently made me a very grouchy person. I’ve sure complained a lot in this post! Time for more frozen yogurt to shut me up.

Homemade Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/22/homemade-peanut-butter-frozen-yogurt/

Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

• 2 cups plain or vanilla yogurt (such as So Delicious) (440g)
  • 1/2 cup milk of choice (120g)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (or almond butter or allergy-friendly alternative) (120g)
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (omit if using vanilla yogurt) (6g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • pure stevia extract to taste, or 1/3 cup sugar of choice (more if using an unsweetened yogurt)
  • optional: homemade peanut butter chips

Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt recipe: Blend all ingredients except optional chips (or stir very well by hand) until completely smooth. If you have an ice cream maker, transfer mixture to the machine and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. My Cuisinart took 9 minutes. Add chips if desired. Eat immediately as soft-serve, or freeze in an airtight container for a half hour if you want a firmer texture. (If you don’t have an ice cream machine: simply transfer the blended mixture to an airtight container, freeze, and stir well every half hour for 2-3 hours. The texture won’t be as creamy, but it still works.)

Click for: Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts

Peanut Butter Frozen Yogurt

And to everyone who asked earlier this week about the bangs… here is a picture of me at age fourteen, with bangs and braces:

girl with bangs             Chocolate Covered Katie

Then and now.  See? I told you I still look crazy similar to how I looked twelve years ago! I kind of miss the bangs.

But definitely NOT the braces!!

Tags: , , , , ,

1. I just went to the dentist to get an estimate on some work I needed done and they also told me I need braces again. I reallllly don’t think that’s going to happen.
    At least now I can console myself with a bowl of homemade peanut butter frozen yogurt 🙂

2. Complain all you want, Katie- retainers are the worst! I have one now and the orthodontist said I’m going to need it for the rest of my life. >:( But I can tell you now, I will NOT be wearing it forever.
    The frozen yogurt looks delicious! I’m definitely going to the store today to get some yogurt. 🙂

3. So weird! I have Invisalign and I literally JUST changed my set last night! Now my mouth hurts so bad, too! It really does move your teeth, so cool! I first got the Invisalign a little over a year ago. What’s a bummer, though, is that I has on my 30th set out of 39, and something went wrong and we had to re-send in my impressions and get new sets. :\ Thankfully only 16 sets this time! So funny you posted this today!
    Really fantastic recipe! I love PB! Your post always make my day better! Thanks, Katie! 😀

4. Ugh, braces. ;P I still have mine. My retainer will be my FOURTH orthodontic appliance. I’ll be glad to be rid of these sometime near the end of summer.

Ooh, frozen yogurt! 😀 A place called “Top It!” opened up just across the street from my house. We go there almost every week!

5. Christina says:

The EXACT same thing happened to me! But I had to wear invisalign for 6 months 🙁 Pricey.

6. You know, sometimes I hate teeth! I put off getting a chipped tooth fixed (and just getting back to the dentist in general) and I ended up needing to get 3 fillings done and a cleaning between 2 visits. And currently fighting insurance to get it covered…hopefully we BOTH learned our lessons! Meanwhile, I think I’ll join you in eating frozen yogurt, we earned it! 😉

7. Courtney says:

Oh braces are always the worst, I had mine for a year and a half and I have many of my own awkward photos with them! :/ and my bar in the back of my teeth came off once when I was eating chips one day so I immediately got it replaced so I could avoid the troubles!

Oh and can i make this in my vitamix? I’ve made your spinach ice cream with my vitamix and it came out great but would it be the same texture and cold temperature if I eat it straight out of the vitamix container like I did with the spinach ice cream?

1. Yes, definitely. As a general rule, I think you can make any ice cream recipe (all of mine, anyway) in a Vita-Mix. The ice cream maker is used to add air and to churn, which the Vita does as well… to be honest, I think the texture of Vita-Mix ice cream is even better than that made in an ice cream maker.

You just need to wait a little longer, as you should freeze it before re-blending.

1. Courtney says:

Oh great, I can’t wait to make it then!
        You gotta love what all a Vitamix can do! 🙂

1. Grace says:

I have a Blendtech (Omg shocker… enemy alert! Abort, abort… Ahhh!) and I was wondering if you’d get the same texture as an ice cream maker… I haven’t had actual ice cream in such a long time! Just homemade that I make in my Blendtech. I don’t know if you’d happen to know? But do you think I should invest in an ice cream maker? Because I love the Blendtech, but I always see ice cream makers and I’m like OMG, I WANT!!! 🙂

Haha sorry! Thanks!

And I’m so sorry to hear about having to use invisalign and stuff! I had braces too, but funny thing was that I LOVED them! They were so fun! At least to me! Hahah but now I just wear retainers… Not as fun :/ LOL, only at night though! Weird thing was that I never got a metal bar! Hmmm :/

I totally understand the whole I’m in the kitchen, gonna grab some food thing Katie! I do that as well! Hehe 😛

Sorry for the long reply!

Thanks!
          -Grace 🙂

1. I’ve never used a blend-tec. But from what I’ve heard, it’s on par with a vita.

2. Grace says:

Okay, thanks! 🙂

Do you think an ice cream maker is still a household/kitchen necessity though?

Thanks!
            -Grace 🙂

8. Ruta says:

I’m sorry to hear all that, Katie. I recently got braces (for the first time), and I totally understand what you’re going through. It stinks not to be able to eat what you want when you want! Being a food blogger, it’s twice as hard. Hope things get better soon. Maybe lots and lots of frozen yogurt will help 🙂

9. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the advice! I’ve had one of those metal bars behind my lower teeth for years now, and I’m the kind of person who would put off getting it replaced if it ever broke. 😡 So I’ll keep this in mind…

10. Natalie says:

Question: How long can I store the frozen yogurt in the freezer for (after stirring?) – is it a make and eat right away type of thing, or can I keep it for several days? Thanks!

1. You can keep it frozen a month or so. Thaw before serving, though. The texture is best the day it’s made, because it has no stabilizers, but you can still eat it days after as long as you thaw it first.

11. Carey says:

Hey Katie! I’m 36 yrs old and in metal braces for the first time…never had them as a kid despite needing them. I understand the soreness you’re feeling. Also, I’m grateful every day for my VitaMix. 🙂 I’m also grateful for so many of your recipes that help keep me healthy and happy…and are easy on my teeth!

Thanks for the head’s up about the metal bar (that’s considered a “permanent retainer”) as I’m hoping to have that when the braces come off as opposed to the plastic/metal/removable kind. You’re lucky you only needed Invisalign to straighten you out.

12. Carey says:

Oh yes, also, your 5-minute chocolate truffles are THE BEST indulgence when your teeth hurt and you need chocolate. I suggest you make a batch right now to console yourself.

13. Vera says:

I really need an ice cream maker! haha 🙂

14. Jenna Ponraj says:

Katie, your website isn’t opening up like usual. I think somethings wrong. Thanks for the recipe!

15. Danielle says:

This recipe sounds amazing! Maybe I will try making it this weekend.
    – Danielle

16. I get carded for R movies still and I just turned 28 haha.

17. Sherri Herring says:

I am praying for you. I know it is hard with mouth pain. My daughter has braces and head gear. The cold food items really helps her.

I love yogurt but my family dislikes it. Does the pb hide the taste? Thank you so much for your hard work. You have really helped our family with your recipes.

1. It definitely has the tang of frozen yogurt. You might be better off with an ice cream recipe, such as either of the following:
      or the banana-based version: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2010/05/26/the-vita-mix-hugs-a-fat/

18. Maxine says:

Ouch, I know how you feel, my metal bar is superglued to my teeth, but once one of the glue blobs broke, and I took my time getting it reglued, so the tooth moved and they had to force it back in position and glue it in place…..did I ever regret my procrastination!
    BTW the website looks strange when I open it, is it just me seeing this?

1. It loads fine for me, but apparently everyone else is having the same issue as you. I’m working to try and figure out what’s going on. Sorry for the trouble!

1. J says:

I think it’s just a problem for people using Safari – I’m using Safari now and your blog doesn’t look right, but I just tried switching to Firefox and everything looks totally normal!

19. Lisa says:

Loving the bangs 😉 I always wanted braces SO bad when I was a kid, since all my friends had them sadly I never got my request.
    But, I guess I’m kind of glad I never had to wear braces.

20. Ceilia Smith says:

Hi Sweet Katie! I remember that face!
    And Emory did the exact same thing and will probably face the same problem – didn’t like the answer of Johnson & Collins!

1. How are you?! I have missed you all 🙁

1. Ceilia Smith says:

Hi Katie! We are all ok – Robert just had a hip replacement but is good other than that, and Emory moved to LA so we miss her lots! I’m just working and hanging out….I’m really fortunate because I have a job that let’s me work from home, travel occasionally, etc so that’s a good thing! How is everyone in the HIggins family? Your mom told me that Michelle moved to NYC – ironically just as Emory was leaving last fall. I hope you are well…we miss you all, too! Would love to see you all sometime! My regular email is in the form above and I am on FB – friends with your mom!

Ceilia