Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Chip Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Sweet cherry frozen yogurt, swirled with dark chocolate.

Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt:

When I lived in Philadelphia, we often took summer road trips to New York, driving past the bustling city and later the crazy-gigantic mansions of the Hamptons, our eyes glued out the window in the hopes of spotting a celebrity. We’d keep driving until the road collided with the ocean at the easternmost tip of Long Island: Montauk Point. There, we would settle into our own crazy-gigantic mansion not-exactly-so-gigantic popup tent. No one was complaining… we had the beach right outside our door!

It was during one such summer at Montauk that I first encountered Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt. I didn’t actually order the flavor for myself; no self-respecting chocoholic would ever go for cherry frozen yogurt when Chocolate Fudge Brownie was on the menu.

Thankfully, my sister is not a chocoholic. And thankfully, she is willing to share her ice cream (unlike me – Katie doesn’t share food!). It might be a younger sister thing… she got so used to me taking her candy/chocolate/cookies when we were really little that she gave up any protective instincts. Either that or she’s just super nice.

In any case, as we sat on the dock eating our ice cream, I decided her Cherry Garcia cone might be better than my Chocolate Fudge Brownie one. (I blame the sea air for this moment of confusion; it was obviously messing with my young chocoholic mind.)

The next day when we went for ice cream (of course we went for ice cream every day… it was summer vacation!) I eschewed the chocolate and ordered Cherry Garcia instead.

Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt:

And no, I didn’t share.

Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt

• 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt of choice (such as Wholesoy)
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • sweetener to taste, depending on your yogurt. For a plain, sweetened yogurt, try 2 tbsp sugar, 2 NuNaturals stevia packets, or 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice (omit if using the maple syrup option above)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup pitted cherries, diced (fresh or frozen) (120g)
  • 3-4 tbsp shaved chocolate (I used a vegetable peeler to shave off pieces of a chocolate bar) (15-20g)

Frozen yogurt recipe: In either an ice cream machine or a large airtight container, combine the first 5 ingredients. (For optimal creaminess and best texture, use the ice cream machine. However, it does work—and still tastes delicious—if you don’t have a machine.) Once churned (or simply stirred in the container), add the cherries and shaved chocolate. Stir (and transfer to an airtight container if it’s not already there). Seal the lid and freeze. If not using an ice cream machine, stir the contents every hour for up to three hours. Otherwise, eat immediately or freeze up to an hour for a firmer texture.

Store leftovers, in the airtight container, for up to a month, and thaw 15-30 minutes before eating.

Click for: Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts

messy ice cream

Since you all seemed to really enjoy my food blooper post from a few weeks ago, maybe the above photo will amuse you more than it amused me. Darn wind; that was my snack!

Link of the Day: 36 Healthy Cookie Recipes

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Jenni says:

Ah, I love cherry garcia! I used to buy the one made by Coconut Bliss, but I haven’t had it in forever. Your cone is drool-worthy!

2. judy says:

i love your frozen yogurts. peanut butter is among my favorites but cherry garcia ice cream has always been my favorite ben and jerrys

3. Shelley says:

Oh, Katie! You’ve done it again! I am soooooo glad your sister shared her Cherry Garcia all those years ago and inspired this post! My kids will go crazy for it – can’t wait to make it for them! Brilliant!

4. Kinzie says:

I’m pretty sure the five-second-rule also applies to frozen treats. :) I hope you ate it anyway.

1. Anonymous says:

and if it doesn’t, any contamination should melt off in 15-20 sec

1. kinzie says:

HAHA. Yessss. Bon appetit!

5. I’m loving all these froyo recipes of yours recently, and I think I’m about ready to have some for breakfast! I just made some goats milk yogurt so I think I might try it with that!

6. This looks amazing, Katie! Can’t wait to try it. And sorry about the wind, what a bummer :-/

7. Christine Moore says:

I think you’re correct about the older siblings and sharing thing. My little sister is generous with her food, and I have tried to follow her lead. However, I know that when I order food I intend to eat it all because I really like it and I may get hungry if someone eats a portion of it. I would rather buy that person another order of whatever I’m having instead of splitting it unless that was my intention.
    A fun fact: Jerry Greenfield (Jerry of “Ben and Jerrys”) graduated from the same college as me. I got to meet him at the factory last summer. He is awesome and very humble! I told him I make ice cream, but I didn’t mention that I’m vegan.

8. Yum that looks so good! Usually I’m all over chocolate and peanut butter flavors, but I’ll need to give this one a try :). At least it has some chocolate shavings in it 😉

9. Alissa says:

Ok, I used to live in Ohio and we got this really good ice cream there, it was one of the best flavors ever, but we haven’t been able to get it in Colorado where we moved. It’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip (I think) I don’t remember the brand but the best part about the ice cream was the vein of peanut butter running through it. I would love if u could recreate a healthy version of that ice cream.

1. Savannah says:

Maybe it was Graeters? They have peanut butter chip ice cream, as well as Buckeye Blitz ( We Ohioans love our ice cream =D

10. nessa says:

Looks scrumptious!

11. That last pic is awesome! I find those cones are always tricky though because the ice cream is so much heavier, so they always end up as top-heavy. Looks amazing though!

12. Nicholas says:

Cherry garcia is my all time favorite! And looks like I can make this by my own. Thanks.

13. trajayjay says:

Is it getting really hot where you live, your last three recipes have been about frozen treats.

1. Anonymous says:

it’s national frozen yogurt week

14. Jenna Ponraj says:

Katie, looks lovely! I’ve never been a fan of frozen yogurt, more of an ice cream girl, but perhaps I’m missing out. Have you ever heard of the flavor salted caramel? I know its a common artisan ice cream flavor but maybe you could make it a tad healthier for us by turning it into frozen yogurt. Sorry about the wind!

1. Anonymous says:

all of those serve yourself frozen yogurt places popping up have the salted caramel flavor

15. Susan says:

I usually don’t save, let alone think about making dessert recipes. But this time you got me! I used to love the Baskin Robbins Burgundy Cherry ice-cream, and of course love chocolate, so this sounds perfect. I would make it with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, though to give it a protein boost, so it would make a good snack. Yum!

16. Janet says:

5 second rule. I so would have eaten that-LOL. Thanks for the recipe!

17. Oh yum! This is awesome. Have a great weekend Katie!

18. Chelsea says:

Oh my gosh! I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw this in my email. 😉 Cannot wait to make it!

19. ~Megan~ says:

Would you mind mentioning what exact ice cream maker you have? I recall you saying Cuisinart, but I was wondering which model. I would be ever so grateful! 😀 Whatever it is you have I want. “Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, I neeed I neeed” 😉

1. It’ just the basic Cuisinart ice cream and sorbet maker.

20. Katie says:

My name is Katie, too, and as a foodaholic and Friendsaholic, I always say “KATIE DOESN’T SHARE FOOD”, too. No one ever gets the reference, though..

21. Kristin says:

You make this sound so good…and I don’t even like cherries!

22. cucicucicoo says:

I have no idea why it had never occurred to me that I can make frozen yogurt in my ice cream machine! I am SO making this! :) Lisa

23. Awesome! I have everything to make this already! My cherries were starting to go bad, absolutely making this this weekend!

24. Ellen says:

Mmmm, cherries and chocolate, it’s a combo that can stand up to chocolate and chocolate. Ben and Jerry’s was the first place I saw cookie dough ice cream. My life was forever changed…

25. Ciera says:

Does it matter what type of cherries you use? Also, what type of dark chocolate did you use?

1. I don’t think the type of cherry would matter. I used frozen, since they’re already pitted.
      For the chocolate, I used Sweet Riot.

1. Ciera says:

Thank you!

26. Jules says:

Cute story. But as a native New Yorker I have to point out that Montauk is on Long Island not upstate ny. Can’t wait to try this recipe

1. Anonymous says:

Being from Syracuse, I thought the same :) Syracuse isn’t even ‘upstate’ by our standards, it’s ‘central.’ Still love you & your blog though, Katie! :) Visit Syracuse sometime, there are some great vegan places!

1. *Feels dumb*
        I do know it’s not upstate, so I’m not sure why I wrote that. I get it all mixed up… we often go to upstate NY as well (Rhinebeck).
        Post fixed :)

27. Liz says:

I actually had a fresh cherry and chocolate smoothie this morning – great minds, hah!

28. Daccota says:

I hate to break it to you Katie but Long Island is NOT Upstate New York 😉
    Delicious looking frozen yogurt though! I’ve ever been a fan of cherry but maybe it’ll be better with chocolate!

1. Sorry for the dumb mistake. I really should know better. Fixed now :).

29. Amy says:

I’m the same way!! Whenever there’s chocolate ice cream or frozen yogurt, I never order anything else. But I learned my lesson just TWO days ago. My brother ordered passion fruit sorbet, and it was so much better than my brownie-studded vanilla ice cream. Now I know what I’m ordering at the ice cream parlor tonight!

30. Tanner says:

I just made this and ate it for dinner! I halved the recipe, but kept the full 20g of chocolate :). It’s soooo yummy! I topped it with coconut flakes, and it was delicious! I normally don’t go for chocolate and cherries together, but I had all of the ingredients, and it’d been awhile since I made anything from your blog, so I thought, why not? Oh, and I don’t share food either (well, extremely grudgingly and in tiny amounts, if forced). Thankfully (or tragically), nobody else in my family likes healthy food :) :(

31. Love the combo of cherries and chocolate together that sounds yummo!

32. Shannon says:

I might have to make this with chocolate yogurt or added cocoa powder. My husband and I are both chocoholics and what’s the point in a frozen treat if it’s not loaded with chocolate?

33. This looks absolutely awesome! I want to try it!!

34. I love the chocolate and cherries. Together, they are one of those combinations made in heaven! I’ll definitely be trying this! 😀

35. ponetium says:

Hey Katie,
    I live in a place without any vegan yogurts to buy, but I really want to try out this recipe (actually, all of your recipes…).
    Can you recommend a recipe of a vegan yogurt, please?

36. Joanna says:

I would love to try these and others of your frozen yogurt recipes but I was wondering how much this one makes? That would give me an idea of how much the others make. Thanks so much!

37. Eloise says:

Have you ever made Biscotte before?

38. Shannon says:

Hey Katie this looks delicious!!! Can i make a request for ben and Jerrys Chunky monkey pretty please with homemade sprinkles on top?

39. Sounds delish! I love a good scoop of ice cream!

40. I CANNOT wait for your cookbook! Can you include ALL your blog recipes and more? Just kidding! :)

41. Fern says:

This looks like a great recipe. Dark chocolate and cherries… can’t go wrong really! I haven’t tried the Ben and Jerry’s version but will have to give this one a go!

42. Patrick says:

Hey Katie,

This recipe looks awesome. I haven’t done much in the way of working with frozen treats but the first thing I thought of was how great this would be as an ice cream cake. Do you think that it would work or is yogurt not very well suited for use in cakes? Great work on the site. We’ve adopted a number of your recipes in our house when we decide to get away from our diets.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You never know until you try!

43. Tress Rabne says:

Hi, CCK, We love all of your recipes, and want to try your frozen yogurts. One of my problems is that I live 15-30 miles from health food stores that carry the large tubs of non-dairy yogurt. Near me, I can only by individual cups of almond, coconut, or soy yogurt, and that becomes quite expensive. I have heard that you can make your own yogurt in a crockpot. Do you know of any way of making vegan plain or vanilla yogurt at home?

44. Deborah says:

Would Greek yogurt work for this?

45. Julia says:

My mother and I made this a few days ago and it was a smashing success!
    The only change we made was using a full cup of cherries–and even then, we both agreed that next time we would use more. Admittedly, though, we’re both HUGE cherry-lovers, so 3/4 cup is probably plenty for most folks :)
    Thanks for the fantastic recipe–this one will absolutely be making a reappearance in our kitchen!

46. Alexandra says:

Thank you so much Katie 😀 I live in Sweden and LOVE your blog and your recipes. I need to try this out soon! I mean summer is just around the corner and what is a summer without ice cream ? 😉

47. Ash says:

Hi Katie :) Would you be able to do a spinach ice cream recipe using an ice cream machine? your spinachy mint one looks soooooo tasty but I don’t have a vita mix :(

I cant wait to try out my new ice cream maker with this recipe though! i’m a huuge fan of this flavor. <3

48. Veronica says:

wonder if I can do this in my vitamix? It has the ice cream feature.

49. Yum!!! I LOVE cherries garcia!! Such a yummy flavor!!! I also love that this is only 3 points plus!!!!! :-)

50. Anonymous says:

Do you seriously eat all this stuff. How do you stay so thin??

51. Cory says:

You’re frozen yogurt recipes are soooo good.
    Have you considered a matcha or red bean recipe??

52. Megan says:

Hubby and I just made this – soooo yummy! It only took about 8 or 9 mins to freeze in our ice cream maker. Fresh cherries, Fage greek yogurt, and sucanat for the sugar. High five!

1. Thank you so much for trying it :)

53. Karen says:

Katie, your website is AWESOME! I made this recipe in my new Vitamix and it was YUMMY! I have had the *real* Cherry Garcia, and it doesn’t really taste like that. It more closely resembles the self-serve yogurt place yogurts – except much better! I did use Greek yogurt; that may have given it the extra tang. I made a half-recipe and then instantly regretted it – I wish I’d made the entire recipe, it was so good!

54. Nat Bell says:

Just made the yummiest frozen yoghurt – blueberry chocolate coconut – variation on your recipes due to lack of ingredients. Was delicious, and some leftover for tomorrow. I love these recipes, can’t wait to try more!!

55. Brianna says:

ohhh my gosh i need this. Thats all I will say with this recipe and the peanut butter frozen yogurt ahh Im in love I cant wait to make both. How do you come up with all these amazing recipe’s!

56. Rita says:

I love the windblown look! And I would eat it anyway…. Cherry garcia is nice, but give me a double chocolate chunk cone any day.

57. Samara says:

Chocolate Fudge Brownie and Cherry Garcia are my favourite Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream flavours! And yes, I generally always go for anything with chocolate in it… Not much a fan of the fruity flavours of ice cream unless it’s Tiger.

58. Nina says:

Greetings from the UK.

Do you think this would work with low fat yoghurt like 2% or no fat Greek Yoghurt. I am not familiar with the recommended yoghurt mentioned in the recipe here in the UK.

Any ideas if it would work in a Vitamix Blender?

Thanks in advance – love your blog thanks for all your inspirational ideas and recipes.

1. Jackie says:

It does! Just freeze the mixture in ice cube trays, pop into the vita, and blend!