Chocolate Chip Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt Recipe

Sweet cherry frozen yogurt, swirled with dark chocolate.

When I lived in Philadelphia, we often took summer road trips to New York, driving past the bustling city and later the crazy-gigantic mansions of the Hamptons, our eyes glued out the window in the hopes of spotting a celebrity. We’d keep driving until the road collided with the ocean at the easternmost tip of Long Island: Montauk Point. There, we would settle into our own crazy-gigantic mansion not-exactly-so-gigantic popup tent. No one was complaining… we had the beach right outside our door!

It was during one such summer at Montauk that I first encountered Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt. I didn’t actually order the flavor for myself; no self-respecting chocoholic would ever go for cherry frozen yogurt when Chocolate Fudge Brownie was on the menu.

Thankfully, my sister is not a chocoholic. And thankfully, she is willing to share her ice cream (unlike me – Katie doesn’t share food!). It might be a younger sister thing… she got so used to me taking her candy/chocolate/cookies when we were really little that she gave up any protective instincts. Either that or she’s just super nice.

In any case, as we sat on the dock eating our ice cream, I decided her Cherry Garcia cone might be better than my Chocolate Fudge Brownie one. (I blame the sea air for this moment of confusion; it was obviously messing with my young chocoholic mind.)

The next day when we went for ice cream (of course we went for ice cream every day… it was summer vacation!) I eschewed the chocolate and ordered Cherry Garcia instead.

Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/05/24/chocolate-chip-cherry-garcia-frozen-yogurt-recipe/

And no, I didn’t share.

Homemade Cherry Garcia Frozen Yogurt

• 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt of choice (such as Wholesoy)
  • 1/16 tsp salt
  • sweetener to taste, depending on your yogurt. For a plain, sweetened yogurt, try 2 tbsp sugar, 2 NuNaturals stevia packets, or 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
  • 2 tbsp milk of choice (omit if using the maple syrup option above)
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup pitted cherries, diced (fresh or frozen) (120g)
  • 3-4 tbsp shaved chocolate (I used a vegetable peeler to shave off pieces of a chocolate bar) (15-20g)

Frozen yogurt recipe: In either an ice cream machine or a large airtight container, combine the first 5 ingredients. (For optimal creaminess and best texture, use the ice cream machine. However, it does work—and still tastes delicious—if you don’t have a machine.) Once churned (or simply stirred in the container), add the cherries and shaved chocolate. Stir (and transfer to an airtight container if it’s not already there). Seal the lid and freeze. If not using an ice cream machine, stir the contents every hour for up to three hours. Otherwise, eat immediately or freeze up to an hour for a firmer texture.

Store leftovers, in the airtight container, for up to a month, and thaw 15-30 minutes before eating.

Click for: Frozen Yogurt Nutrition Facts

messy ice cream

Since you all seemed to really enjoy my food blooper post from a few weeks ago, maybe the above photo will amuse you more than it amused me. Darn wind; that was my snack!

Link of the Day: 36 Healthy Cookie Recipes

Tags: , , , , ,

1. judy says:

i love your frozen yogurts. peanut butter is among my favorites but cherry garcia ice cream has always been my favorite ben and jerrys

2. Shelley says:

Oh, Katie! You’ve done it again! I am soooooo glad your sister shared her Cherry Garcia all those years ago and inspired this post! My kids will go crazy for it – can’t wait to make it for them! Brilliant!

3. Kinzie says:

I’m pretty sure the five-second-rule also applies to frozen treats. 🙂 I hope you ate it anyway.

1. Anonymous says:

and if it doesn’t, any contamination should melt off in 15-20 sec

1. kinzie says:

HAHA. Yessss. Bon appetit!

4. I’m loving all these froyo recipes of yours recently, and I think I’m about ready to have some for breakfast! I just made some goats milk yogurt so I think I might try it with that!

5. This looks amazing, Katie! Can’t wait to try it. And sorry about the wind, what a bummer :-/

6. Christine Moore says:

I think you’re correct about the older siblings and sharing thing. My little sister is generous with her food, and I have tried to follow her lead. However, I know that when I order food I intend to eat it all because I really like it and I may get hungry if someone eats a portion of it. I would rather buy that person another order of whatever I’m having instead of splitting it unless that was my intention.
    A fun fact: Jerry Greenfield (Jerry of “Ben and Jerrys”) graduated from the same college as me. I got to meet him at the factory last summer. He is awesome and very humble! I told him I make ice cream, but I didn’t mention that I’m vegan.

7. Yum that looks so good! Usually I’m all over chocolate and peanut butter flavors, but I’ll need to give this one a try :). At least it has some chocolate shavings in it 😉

8. Alissa says:

Ok, I used to live in Ohio and we got this really good ice cream there, it was one of the best flavors ever, but we haven’t been able to get it in Colorado where we moved. It’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip (I think) I don’t remember the brand but the best part about the ice cream was the vein of peanut butter running through it. I would love if u could recreate a healthy version of that ice cream.

1. Savannah says:

Maybe it was Graeters? They have peanut butter chip ice cream, as well as Buckeye Blitz (http://www.graeters.com/flavors.aspx). We Ohioans love our ice cream =D

9. nessa says:

Looks scrumptious!

10. That last pic is awesome! I find those cones are always tricky though because the ice cream is so much heavier, so they always end up as top-heavy. Looks amazing though!

11. Nicholas says:

Cherry garcia is my all time favorite! And looks like I can make this by my own. Thanks.

12. trajayjay says:

Is it getting really hot where you live, your last three recipes have been about frozen treats.

1. Anonymous says:

it’s national frozen yogurt week

13. Jenna Ponraj says:

Katie, looks lovely! I’ve never been a fan of frozen yogurt, more of an ice cream girl, but perhaps I’m missing out. Have you ever heard of the flavor salted caramel? I know its a common artisan ice cream flavor but maybe you could make it a tad healthier for us by turning it into frozen yogurt. Sorry about the wind!

1. Anonymous says:

all of those serve yourself frozen yogurt places popping up have the salted caramel flavor

14. Susan says:

I usually don’t save, let alone think about making dessert recipes. But this time you got me! I used to love the Baskin Robbins Burgundy Cherry ice-cream, and of course love chocolate, so this sounds perfect. I would make it with plain nonfat Greek yogurt, though to give it a protein boost, so it would make a good snack. Yum!

15. Janet says:

5 second rule. I so would have eaten that-LOL. Thanks for the recipe!

16. Oh yum! This is awesome. Have a great weekend Katie!

17. Chelsea says:

Oh my gosh! I couldn’t believe my eyes when I saw this in my email. 😉 Cannot wait to make it!

18. Jenni says:

Ah, I love cherry garcia! I used to buy the one made by Coconut Bliss, but I haven’t had it in forever. Your cone is drool-worthy!

19. ~Megan~ says:

Would you mind mentioning what exact ice cream maker you have? I recall you saying Cuisinart, but I was wondering which model. I would be ever so grateful! 😀 Whatever it is you have I want. “Gimmie, gimmie, gimmie, I neeed I neeed” 😉

1. It’ just the basic Cuisinart ice cream and sorbet maker.