Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Healthy Waffles

Healthy waffles!

Super Easy Healthy Waffle Recipe

This is my favorite waffle recipe!

The light and fluffy texture of these healthy waffles makes an ideal canvas for fresh strawberries and homemade whipped cream. Or peanut butter and mashed banana. Or pure maple syrup. Or ice cream and chocolate fudge sauce… and then more whipped cream. Why not?

Above, topped with jam, berries, and Homemade Whipped Cream.

The recipe for fat-free waffles that don't taste like cardboard. This is one of my all-time favorite breakfast recipes: healthy waffles recipe

It’s a whole-grain and healthy breakfast that’s easy to make and doesn’t taste like cardboard.

(I gave up buying frozen waffles years ago… frozen just does not compare to the taste of homemade waffles.)

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1/2 cup spelt flour (60g) (substitution: Gluten-Free Waffles Recipe)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/16 tsp pure stevia OR 2 tbsp liquid sweetener (like agave or pure maple syrup)
  • 1 tbsp milk of choice (increase to 3 tbsp if using stevia)
  • 1/4 cup plus 3 tbsp applesauce
  • 2 tsp oil OR 1 tbsp more applesauce (Use the applesauce if you want fat-free waffles.)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Healthy Waffles Recipe: Combine first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl, and stir well. In a separate bowl, stir together remaining ingredients. Grease a waffle iron with oil or oil spray: be sure to grease very well if using the fat-free version. Preheat according to manufacturer’s instructions for your machine. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir until evenly combined. When iron is hot, pour half of the batter into the center of the iron, and close the lid. (My machine has a light that goes out when the waffle is done. Do not lift the lid before the waffle is done cooking.) Serve with your favorite waffle toppings – my homemade squirt whipped cream recipe is linked above the second photo in this post. Makes 2 waffles, and you can easily double the recipe.

*View Healthy Waffles Nutrition Facts*

Super Healthy Whole Grain Waffles

Question of the Day:

Do you ever buy frozen waffles?

When I was really young, my mom used to buy Eggo waffles as something quick for us to eat before school. But I’d get so hungry by lunchtime that she soon switched to serving more-filling breakfasts like oatmeal or egg-and-cheese breakfast burritos. On the weekends when we had more time, she’d sometimes make us homemade waffles in a Bugs Bunny waffle iron. My favorite way to eat them was topped with a layer of strawberry jam, whatever berries we had on hand, and probably half the container of Reddi-wip. I guess not much has changed!  Link of the Day:

homemade protein bars
.Homemade Protein Bars

Tags: , ,

1. Yum! Looks great – can’t wait to try them out.

I will occasionally buy frozen waffles if they’re on sale, but it’s rare. I like the homemade WAY better, and they’re really not hard at all if you have a waffle iron.

2. Love waffles — these look great! I agree about frozen waffles being less than good, so i like to freeze homemade waffles to toast and eat later 🙂

3. Suzanne says:

Oooh Katie, this is too perfect! I recently dug out our waffle iron and have been using it several times a week for breakfast waffles and grilled sandwiches at lunch! The more waffle recipes the better 🙂

PS As a fellow small-structured vegan, would you advise amping up the oil content, or would they be too crispy?

1. The first time I ever made the recipe, I tried using 1 tbsp oil. The batter was too thin—the waffle ended up falling apart when I tried to take it off the iron. If you want to try increasing the oil, I’d maybe try scaling back on the milk.

4. trajayjay says:

Katie, I’ve noticed that in some of your recipes, not this one, but others, you list margarine as one of the ingredients. But doesn’t margarine have trans fats, which are the most hated “nutrient” of all. What business does margarine have on a healthy food blog?

Yes, I prefer homemade waffles too. I could do without the extra sodium, and the refined flour that is found in most frozen waffles. They probably end up being more expensive too.

1. I only use non-hydrogenated margarine, like Earth Balance.

5. Lisa says:

Perfection. That waffle looks marvelous. I typically don’t ever buy frozen waffles just because homemade is SO much better, and I’d rather have homemade pancakes than store bought waffles. Just how I roll though. I used to love the Ego Waffles though, I was all about them as a kid.

6. Kelli says:

Mmm, makes me wish I had a waffle maker!

7. Rachel says:

Yum!!! can’t wait to try. Is the nutrition facts based on the whole batch or just one waffle? 🙂

1. Ed McGee says:

I have the same question about the nutritional information as does another person further down the comment section.

2. Rachel Kirkendall says:

One waffle (half the recipe), without the oil.

8. Yum! I just had my banana protein waffle recipe for breakfast today – I’m always looking for new delish waffle recipes to make on my waffle maker, my favourite small appliance I think ;).

9. Rachel Kirkendall says:

Sounds yum! I wonder…do you think that if I subbed smoooooshed banana for the applesauce, I could come out with even yummier ~banana~ waffles? =D

I think I may give that a try, as a matter of fact…

1. It definitely sounds like a good idea. I know they work with pumpkin, so why not banana?

1. Rachel Kirkendall says:

And the answer is…yes, yes, VERY YES.

Topped with chocolate cheesecake mousse ( + maybe a tablespoon of cocoa powder? Didn’t measure it exactly, just added until it looked/tasted right.) Om nom freaking nom. <3

10. I usually burn all my waffles I will try pancakes using this recipe! 🙂

11. Willowkist says:

Aw man! I needed this recipe yesterday when I was scouring the interwebs for a tasty yet healthy Fathers Day treat!

12. I’m a pancake girl at heart and I’ve tried many of your pancake recipes (even adapted one for my site). But every once in a while, a waffle walks it’s way on into my kitchen. Spelt has also happened to make its way into my cuboard, so I can’t wait to try out this recipe. 🙂

13. Kimber says:

Is the nutritional info for 1 waffle or both?!

1. Rachel Kirkendall says:

One waffle, without the oil.

14. Amy says:

My parents bought us frozen waffles until I was about 6 years old. I always asked my dad to prepare them for me because he’d make sure there was butter in every single hole! And then he’d completely douse them in maple syrup. Mom wasn’t quite as generous with the toppings…

I love the look of your healthy waffles! I’ll have to dust off my waffle iron soon. 🙂

15. cara says:

can you use ground up oat flour ya think?

1. Maddy says:

Yes you can. I tried it and they were awesome!!

16. loulou says:

hello katie, have you tried this recipe using oat flour? i would try myself, but don’t want to waste stuff if you already have and it’s failed! these look excellent, and i was just listening to dr. mcdougall about the importance of avoiding oil so… whoopie!! 😀

1. Maddy says:

I used oat flour and they were awesome! I topped them with pb and banana! So good!

17. Jessy says:

I hope a chocolate verson is in works. 🙂

18. Marielle says:

Hi Katie, his is a perfectly timed recipe! I’m about to buy a waffle iron (still researching which one) and now I know which recipe I’ll try first 🙂 It looks great!

19. Jenni says:

I’ve never been a huge waffle fanatic–frozen or fresh. But they always look so damn pretty that I wish I were motivated to go out, by a waffle iron, and start making delicious waffles from scratch in the bright morning sunlight. (Now there’s a cliche domestic fantasy for you.) Anyway, yours look beautiful! As do all the breakfasts you make. 🙂