Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Homemade Snickers Ice Cream Bars

You kind of NEED these in your life. Recipe from @choccoveredkt... they taste like a Snickers ice cream bar!

In this homemade Snickers recipe, rich caramel ice cream is topped with a layer of peanut butter then coated in a thick layer of chocolate.

Snickers ice cream bars have layers.

Homemade Snickers Recipe

Do you know what else has layers?

Ogres have layers. And onions have layers. And parfaits. And cake. If you haven’t seen Shrek, you are probably completely confused by this post. I should just get on to the recipe…

Snickers Recipe

Vegan Snickers

snickers ice cream

“Homemade Snickers Recipe” was on my list of things to try for quite awhile. But when it came down to it, I decided I really liked the Snickers ice cream bars much more than I’d ever actually liked regular Snickers bars. Ice Cream > Non Ice Cream.

Store-bought Snickers ice cream bars have a layer of peanut butter ice cream topped with a layer of caramel sauce, but mine are turned upside-down with the caramel on the bottom and peanut butter on top. Either way, you’re still getting all of the flavors of a Snickers bar in each and every bite!

Homemade Snickers Ice Cream Bars

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 1 batch Caramel Ice Cream Recipe (or your favorite vanilla ice cream mixed with 1/4 tsp caramel extract; use enough to fill up an 8-inch pan as shown in the photos)
  • 5 tbsp peanut butter, softened to an easily-spreadable consistency (75g)
  • chopped peanuts, optional
  • 9 oz chocolate chips
  • 4 tbsp vegetable oil (coconut oil can be subbed, but the coating will be more melty) (40g)
Yield: Makes 14 Homemade Snickers Ice Cream Bars

Snickers Recipe: Line an 8-in square pan with parchment or wax paper. Spread the ice cream evenly into the pan. Freeze until firm, then spread with the peanut butter and sprinkle on chopped peanuts if desired. Refreeze until firm (but just soft enough to cut), then cut into rectangles. Immediately put the pan back in the freezer to completely firm up again. Meanwhile, line a cookie sheet with parchment or wax paper. When the snickers bars have refrozen, take them out of the pan and place them on the cookie sheet. Immediately put the cookie sheet in the freezer until the bars are completely frozen again.

Make the chocolate: Melt the chips in a wide, shallow dish (either using the double broiler method or carefully in the microwave), then stir in the oil until a smooth sauce is achieved. Take out one Snickers bar and dip it in the chocolate. Return the bar to the freezer to set, and repeat with another bar until all are coated. You probably will have leftover chocolate; I like to make extra because it’s easier to coat the bars this way. Snickers bars should be stored in the freezer, but you can thaw in the refrigerator for 1/2 an hour before eating, so the ice cream gets soft and the texture is like a real Snickers ice cream bar.

*View Homemade Snickers Nutrition Facts*

Snickers Bars

I don’t care what everyone else likes! Ogres are not like cakes.

zucchini muffins

Link of the Day: Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Lisa says:

Haha, oh Shrek. I loved that movie when I was younger. Definitely a goodie.
    These are so creative. I definitely need to try them out for a birthday party I’m going to next weekend…I’m pretty positive they’d be a hit.

2. Michelle says:

Wow these definitely look yummy! :)

3. This is truely incredible – I had never considered making my own snickers bar.
    Just a quick question (this may sound silly) but in relation to frozen icecream meeting hot chocolate is it possible to cover them all before creating a hugely melty mess? or is it best to keep some in the freezer for a few moments whilst starting the first 7…? xx
    the huge melty mess does sound nice to my inner piglet!

4. Julia says:

I thought about how to make snickers ice cream bars yesterday but I had not really an idea… now I have!
    Thanks so much!

5. I love all the pictures you put in the post to show these. They look delicious!

6. Quin says:

Oooh this look delicious!! Do you have you’re own peanut butter recipe? If not what brand do you use??

7. Cookies n' Creme says:

Oh I did it again. Printed off another recipe to add to my “must try” stack. These look great!

8. I haven’t had a Snickers ice cream bar in couple years. Those things are addicting! Your version looks like *the* perfect substitute. I love it times 100!

9. My goodness – these look GREAT!! I don’t know how you come up with these but I seriously need to get in the kitchen and get to work!

10. Melissa says:

These look so great and so ideal for summer! I must try this recipe asap!

11. These look so yummy! But seriously… who hasn’t seen Shrek?!? Haha you know, not everybody likes onions. Everybody likes cake!

12. THANK YOU. My boyfriend always buys these when we walk past the shops and I am just dying for a bite but I feel guilty every time I try them, knowing that animals have suffered for those treats. I’ll persuade him to make these so we can both enjoy a snack for once :)

13. Oh my, you are so right. Snickers ice cream bars were so much better than regular old Snickers bars. I wanna try this!!!

14. Oh my goodness these look like the real deal!

15. Woah! Woah woah woah! This looks sooooo good! I cannot wait to make some for myself… yum :)

16. Emily says:

haha… shrek. gotta love shrek. these bars look YUMMY!!

17. ennaejay says:

If I thought you would succumb to bribes, I would offer you an obscene amount of money to ship some of these to me (properly packed, of course). But, I’m not made of money, and you probably don’t do bribes anyway, so we’re at an impasse! I will have to make my own! Thanks for the recipe! 😀 It’s a true test of how bad you want them, I guess. Do I really want to be messing around in my kitchen after waking at 5am, running, showering, feeding two preschoolers, dragging them to the grocery outlet, unloading everything, washing/folding 3 loads of laundry, giving lunch to the aforementioned preschoolers, “helping” them “clean” up their mess, working on building a retaining wall outside during their nap, mowing the yard, wiping a butt (not mine), and making dinner — do I really, really want to make a mess in my kitchen?
    Heck YES I do!!!! heh Awesome recipe – thanks for sharing with the hungry masses Katie!

18. Danielle says:

So I’m actually not a Snickers fan, but this sounds amazing! I definitely want to make it.

19. Tammela says:

Pretty much anything with layers is bound to be delicious (well, maybe not ogres…).

20. Natasha says:

I used to love Snickers ice cream bars. They were only available in South Africa for a short time when I was younger. I never thought of trying to make my own.

21. Wow! I was just thinking a few a days ago how I wished there was a vegan version of the Snickers ice cream bar. Definitely trying this!

22. Wow oh wow! Do you think it would work with banana soft serve?

23. Jules says:

I like ice cream bars better than the non-ice cream bars, too!
    Bounty Ice cream was my first homemade version. At the moment I’m looking for a milky way midnight ice cream bar version. I love dark chocolate!!!

By the way, totally love going through your recipes :)

24. Great idea! I used to love Snickers ice cream bars when I was a kid.

25. Wow, these sound awesome! And your pictures make them look even better. :) Yum!!

26. Erica says:

Yummm I love layered desserts! You know what I would love to see? A vegan version of “slutty brownies”, you know, a layer of brownies on top of a layer of Oreos on top a layer of blondies! I think you already have a recipe for all three of those things, might as well see what happens when you put them together!

27. Lilian says:

These look so good! Looks like they’d be fun to make as well. I started my own blog and made my first blog post today! So exciting haha. Can’t wait to blog about making your recipes soon, Katie!

1. Lilian says:

Whoops I made a typo in the link to my blog that first time…

28. Samantha says:

Hi Katie! I don’t think I’ve ever left a comment before but I LOVE your blog! My friends have to listen to me talk about your recipes all the time but they don’t mind because I always share what I make and it always turns out delicious!
    I made these yesterday and the only change I made was to use your vanilla ice cream instead of caramel because I didn’t have caramel extract. They came out SO GOOD! I didn’t think they’d be as pretty as yours but they actually are just as pretty as the pictures, although I didn’t use the peanuts so they are more flat.
    I am going to go have another one now :).

29. Miss Hey, Emily! says:

Love the Shrek reference! I used to be a huge Shrek fan when I was younger! And those Snickers bars look amazing! And I like using lots of exclamation points! :)

30. These look so yummy! Ice cream covered in chocolate is like a double win. :)
    By the way, I’m curious- what camera do you use?

31. I vaguely remember eating a snickers ice cream bars at some time in my childhood, but I’m sure yours would beat the store bought version by a mile!

32. Snickers are the way to my heart… these!

33. Gabriella says:

I recently gained almost 10 kg due to snickerbars! (well, depression and medication could be contributing factors but mostly it was the snickers) Now I have stopped using but still crave it so this sounds really really good to me! Unfortunately I only have a minifreezer (stupid students apartement) so it’s not very do-able. I am therefor begging you to do regular snickers too! Pretty please?

34. Allie says:

Caught the reference right away, haha! I quote movies all. the. time., so if you hadn’t done the Shrek thing, I probably would have picked up the slack!

35. Liz says:

Just ate one. It’s not the same as a Snickers ice cream bar.

36. Michele says:

These sound great! You put a link to making the ice cream. Is your recipe for healthy hagaen dazs ice cream caramel flavored already? Or do I need to add the caramel extract to your ice cream recipe? Thanx.

37. Lauren says:

Wow these look amazing. I love food with layers – especially hummus!

38. sd says:

I LOVE shrek!!! I have had the first one memorized since I was six. My friends and I would act out the movie and say the lines with them–almost every time they came over we’d watch this (and they spent the night a LOT). And then the 2nd one came out, which we loved just as much 😉
    I still love all of them, but the first one and the fourth are my favorite (my brother is 11 years younger than me, so I watch a lot of kids movies). A lot of times I leave the room after the first 10 min. of his movies, but I usually stay for the Shreks. I cried during the ending of the last one. Sorry about my ranting, but I love Shrek!
    PS I am not one to EVER grab a candy bar, especially not an ice cream one. But you actually did make this look pretty good! But btw I love your recipes.

39. Kasey says:

All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!! My brother was eating a Snickers ice cream bar a few weeks ago, and I was determined to find a recipe that fit into my dietary restrictions (no gluten or corn). I had pondered the idea of posing a suggestion to you for a version of this treat, but apparently I didn’t have to! You do not know how happy this makes me ( : I am going to try this recipe very VERY soon.

40. I’m so impressed at how simple you kept this recipe despite the fact that – yes – it has layers! Looks amazing, these were my favourite treat growing up :).

41. Natalia says:

It looks so amazing!!! I love your blog, thanks for sharing all your knowledge and beautiful pictures:)

42. Haha, layers are always a good thing! Love Shrek and I reckon I’d love these, too 😀
    P.S. just recently discovered your blog … and I’m never leaving!! x

43. Jaena says:

Oh no you didn’t Katie! Now you’ve done it… I’m a goner with these for sure.

44. The originals are my absolute favorite. Want to come over and make me some :)

45. Lul says:

I love this recipe. Thanks

46. Holy crap these look insanely delicious!!!! Can’t wait to try making them =) I love how I pretty well have all of the ingredients on hand already.
    My hubby was able to answer your question just by me asking him “Do you know what else has layers?” Haha ;p

47. Wow these looks so freakin yummy! I am going to have to try this out! I have most of the ingredients :)

48. Definitely trying these!

49. Rodkei says:

I have a question about the vegetable oil i didnt understood the coconut oil subbed do i have to use coconut or vegetable oil??

50. Shaleen says:

I think I will have to make two versions of this- one with coconut milk ice cream for my allergic son and another with Talenti sea salt caramel ice cream because that stuff is just too good- but with pb & chocolate- sounds heavenly.

51. Leslie says:

These are AMAZING! I have one question… how do you get your chocolate to look so nice on your snickers bars? Mine are inconsistent (tons of chocolate on certain parts, then comes off where I’m holding the bar). Dipping tips please! LOL

Also – we couldn’t find caramel extract so I used a 1/4 tsp of molasses and coconut sugar in the ice cream to get the caramel flavor. It rocks!

1. Hmmm… as long as you use the amount of oil called for in the sauce recipe, it should yield a very thin chocolate sauce that ought to be easy to evenly coat the bars. But you might be able to tell from my photos that I definitely had some white spots left as well. They are supposed to look more rustic than real Snickers :).
      For more-perfect coating, what I did was I dunked most of the bar, then I used a spoon to spread the chocolate onto the rest.

52. Becky says:

Have you tried to make dulce de leche with coconut milk? I tried it with fat free sweetened condensed milk (boiled and simmered for about 2.5 hours- in the can, no holes punched), and it was yummy, but I was thinking of non dairy options…

1. I have… it definitely works well!

53. Mary Ellen says:

Katie – I think you are somewhat of a genius! I love looking at your pictures. I am excited to try some of the brownie recipes – brownies are one of my favorites. Though that Snickers Ice Cream Bar looks pretty tempting too! Take care.

54. Selah says:

I made these over the weekend and they were a huge hit!!! I used PB2 for the peanut butter and stevia based chocolate sauce for the chocolate, taken from Katie’s recipe for the Cadbury Eggs. So all in all, completely sugar free!! Sooo yummy!

55. Katty says:

Right now I’m doing my third batch of these snickers bars! I used canned full-fat coconut milk and honey for the ice cream… And I omitted the vegetable oil for the chocolate, I just melt a couple of bars… Soooooo good! Thank you, Katie! I love your recipes :-)

1. Thank you so so much for trying them!

56. Meghana says:

Hey… Small query.. I am unable to find caramel essence in the markets.. Could I instead use caramel syrup as a layer between the ice cream and peanut butter?

57. Jude says:

This is the best recipe from a blog I have tried! They are so good. The first few bars were easy to cover in chocolate, the others looked a bit messy….but still tasted divine!

58. They were delicious! I didn’t have caramel ice cream or extract, so I used vanilla ice cream with a layer of a simple homemade caramel sauce (4 parts sugar to 5 parts milk, no other ingredients) on top. Yum! I had trouble coating them, though; they started melting the instant I tried to dip them in the chocolate to coat them. How did you do it so neatly??

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Just sounds like you need to get your ice cream bars colder before dipping. Turn the freezer all the way up! The bars should be almost rock hard.

59. Michelle says:

you state all your recipes are dairy free, how is this one if you use chocolate chips? Are their dairy free chocolate chips? I’m new to the dairy free world and its been torturing me!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yup, many brands of chocolate chips are dairy free! Free Trade, Guittard (red bag), Enjoy Life, Kroger organic, Costco semi sweet, Ghirardelli (gold bag), etc.!

60. Renee Heller says:

Wow. These sound too good to be true. All hope of staying thin for summer has just been lost. oh well at least i’ll be happy right?! Seriously though they look amazing. Can’t wait to try them.
    These are so good they deserve a rhyme….

yummy yummy happy treat
    looks so good me want to eat
    but my conscience says do not do
    oh well diet with you i’m through!

That was just randomly put together! but i think it states my love of snickers and ice cream pretty perfectly.

61. Mary Frances says:

Yummmy! This is fantastic! Although it’s getting cold here in NYC, I would love to try making these over the weekend!

62. You’ve made me very happy. Between this and the chocolate Chip Cherry Garcia ice cream, I’m in bliss.

63. Amber says:

Coating them were difficult, the first 2 were pretty easy, however, the rest would not coat or coat evenly. They either globbed up in the bowl or started to melt. Any suggestions??