Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Coffee Cream Brownie Bites

Coffee Cream Brownie Bites:

Engagement announcements, marriage announcements, and pregnancy announcements are taking over my facebook newsfeed. Every time I blink, another of my friends gets married. This past Saturday I attended my third bridal shower in the past eight months, which is nothing compared to one of my friends who has gone to two bridal showers and five weddings since January! She says she’s beginning to feel like the main character in 27 Dresses.

For Saturday’s shower, I wanted to make something simple yet elegant, which is how these bite-sized coffee cream brownie cups came into existence:

Raw Mocha Brownie Mini Tarts

Coffee Cream Filled Brownie Bites

Alternate filling ideas: chocolate mousse, frosting shots, cashew cream, my ice cream recipe or my banana pudding recipe (or any ice cream or pudding recipe).

Coffee Cream Stuffed Brownie Bites:

Coffee Cream Brownie Bites

• 1 cup raw cashews or macadamia nuts(120g)
  • 1.5 cups (360g) over-ripe banana (Banana-Free Version: Omit banana. Add milk of choice until a mousse-like texture is achieved. Add extra sweetener to taste.)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp instant coffee granules (regular or decaf – I used Mt. Hagen)
  • pinch pure stevia extract, or 3 tbsp sugar of choice (dry or liquid)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp water or milk of choice (omit if using liquid sweetener)

Brownie Cups:

• 1 cup raw almonds (120g)
  • 1 cup pitted dates (115g – about 15 small dates)
  • 1/3 cup raw walnuts (30g)
  • 1/3 cup cocoa or cacao powder (28g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp water

For the mousse: Put the nuts in a cereal bowl with enough water to cover them. Let soak 4-6 hours. Drain completely and pat dry. Mash the banana (if using), and measure out the 1.5 cups after mashing, then combine all ingredients in a high-quality food processor or Vita-Mix, and blend on high, scraping down the sides occasionally, until a completely-smooth consistency is reached. (It can take up to 10 minutes in a food processor; much less in a Vita.)

Make the brownie cups: Combine the almonds, walnuts, dates, cocoa, and salt in a high-quality food processor. (Using a blender or vita-mix will yield sticky results and will have trouble processing.) Process until mixture turns to small crumbles. Add no more than 2 tbsp water to achieve a slightly-sticky dough, then process again until it sticks together in one big ball. Break off pieces with your hands and mold along the edges of mini muffin cups, pressing down in the middle so that a cup shape is formed. Freeze 20 minutes, then fill with the mousse. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Top each mini tart with Vegan Cool Whip if desired. Makes around 20-21 brownie tarts, and you’ll only use about half the filling but it’s best to make a bigger serving for smoother blending. With the extra filling you can either eat it as mousse or make another batch of the brownie tart shells.

View Nutrition Facts

Link of the Day:

carrot cake waffles
Single Serving Carrot Cake Waffles

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. I love that these brownie cups are customizable with the filling! I can see them being a lovely addition to any gathering. Thanks!

2. Coffee and brownies, enough said. Hopefully my food processor can handle it!

As for best time to get married it depends the location, we got married in Arizona in February and it was perfect weather!

3. I’m getting married in May – mostly to avoid the June rush but have decent (hopefully) weather. I don’t like the extreme hot months or cold months. Timing didn’t work out for a Fall wedding but that would have been my first choice. I LOVE fall colors!! I think I’ll do my engagement pictures then instead. 🙂

Those brownie bites look fabulous and I was even more excited when I saw they don’t have any tofu in them. Hurray!!

1. OilLadyLaura says:

Congratulations!!!! I like May the best too, hope your wedding is beautiful.

4. Alicyn says:

These sound so yummy! A question for you. I have an almond allergy, what could I sub for the almonds? More walnuts?

1. I think that would be fine. Or cashews or macadamia nuts :).

5. Kavli says:

Oh my these sound YUM! Can’t wait to try them! The brownie cup is like your German chocolate bites, which is my absolute favorite from your site!

Your instructions say to combine ‘oats’ – you did mean the soaked almonds, right?

1. Carla says:

I too was a little put off by the word “oats” and was going to ask the same question!

1. Sorry, that was a typo. No oats.

6. Britt says:

Hey Katie! These look amazing, especially with the coffee bean garnish. Too cute! On an unrelated note, I recently picked up a jar of Artisana on a trip to the US after seeing your posts about it. It’s life changing – I don’t know what I’m going to do when I run out! Thank you for introducing me to it!!

7. OilLadyLaura says:

These look so delish, I to am happy they are tofu free!

Question: ingredients list says almonds, but directions say oats. Which one is right?

1. Sorry, oats was a typo. Fixed now.

8. These are so amazing looking!! Coffee and chocolate together….just perfect. Here in NY the best months to get married are July or August…the only 2 warm months we have 😉

9. Jackie says:

Hi Katie!
    I’d love to have these! But one thing stands in my way.
    I’m allergic to cashews and walnuts. Joy.
    Is there any replacements I could make?

10. Lisa says:

I feel like a ton of people I went to school with are either getting married, pregnant, or engaged. It’s crazy to me how fast it seems to happen after school!
    These look like the perfect little brownie bites. Especially since there’s coffee added. My favorite ingredient;)

11. Heather Williams says:

AH! KATIE! I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!:) You’re incredible as always:):) I bet macadamia nuts would be great in the crust too!:) These look fabulous!!!

12. Melissa says:

Oh, yum, those look so tasty! I love coffee and anything associated with it! Let’s see, I think the ideal month to get married is probably around October/early November, because I absolutely LOVE all of the fall foliage and colors!

13. Catherine says:

How pretty! I love creamy desserts, so these look to be right up my alley–I’m going to have to try them soon!

14. Vanessa says:

Katie- these look delish! Love the cute little cups. I know what you mean about weddings….this year alone I will have attended 12 weddings, 8 wedding showers, thrown 3 baby showers, and have a few more in the works before 2013 concludes. LOL! Pure craziness. I’m sure you’re a wonderful and amazing friend!

1. kate says:

omg I got palpitations just reading that lol. insane!

1. Vanessa says:

I know right?!! It has been absolutely insane. #storyofmylife LOL!

15. Debbie P says:

I know this sounds lazy, but are there any shortcuts for this recipe? Why do you soak the nuts?

1. Catherine says:

I’m not sure what Katie would say, but in my experience soaking the nuts is usually pretty key to getting a “creamy” consistency in these kinds of recipes. If you skip the soaking you will probably wind up with something more like flavored cashew butter (which would be tasty too, but have a totally different consistency!)

16. Debbie says:

These look so delicious, I’m drooling on my computer.

17. Sara @ LovingOnTheRun says:

I’d have to say the best month to get married is June – just because that’s my wedding month 🙂 In fact it is the wedding month for my parents, my husband’s parents, and my brother.

18. These look so yummy. I’ve yet to try one your recipes, but my tastebuds are always rooting for it.

I say, get married during your favorite season.

19. I am so thankful my friend’s life events have been spread out. These looks so good. Different but simple and delicious!

20. These look so good! I love the combo of chocolate and coffee. <3