Mocha Coconut Macaroons

Chocolate Macaroons: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/10/11/chocolate-dipped-mocha-coconut-cookies/

If you couldn’t tell, I kind of really love coconut.

Just kind of.

Coconut: the other white meat

In my world, coconut could be its own food group; I love it almost as much as I love chocolate. Please note, I did say almost. Let’s not take things too far.

Anyway it’s not like I must choose between the two. Today’s chocolate macaroon recipe incorporates both of my favorites into one seriously good cookie. If Starbucks were to turn their famous Mocha Coconut Frappuccinos into a macaroon, it might look and taste something like this:

Chocolate Macaroons

What are some of your favorite food pairs?

PB&J? Spaghetti and tomato sauce? Strawberries and cream? Biscuits and gravy? Along with chocolate coconut, chocolate peanut butter and chocolate mint are right up there for me. But let’s be honest, anything with chocolate will rank pretty favorably among my favorites.

Except for maybe chocolate grasshopper. I had the opportunity(?) to try it once… not really a fan. 😕

macaroon less glare

Mocha Coconut Macaroons

• 1 tbsp flour of choice (or protein powder)
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp instant coffee powder, such as Mt. Hagen (decaf or regular)
  • 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut (not low-fat)
  • 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp milk of choice or canned coconut milk
  • 3 tbsp agave or pure maple syrup
  • pinch stevia or 1 more tbsp agave or maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • just over 1/16 tsp salt
  • melted chocolate chips or healthy chocolate sauce, for dipping

Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a tall dish. If using a microwave, heat two minutes. Stir, then microwave one more minute or until firm enough to scoop out into ball shapes. (Or cook on the stovetop until it’s firm enough to scoop out.) Scoop into balls on a cookie tray—I used a melon baller, but a spoon or ice-cream scoop will also work. Cook at 360 F for 14-16 minutes. (You might be able to “bake” the cookies in the microwave, but I have not tried this.) Let cool before removing from tray. Line a plate with wax paper. Dip each cookie in melted chocolate, place on the wax paper, and refrigerate or freeze to set. Makes 12-22 cookies, depending on the size cookie scoop you use.

View Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

pumpkin cinnamon rolls

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

Tags: , , , , ,

1. My fave food pairs…tomatoes & balsamic vinegar, bananas & peanut butter, dried cranberries & kale.

I don’t drink coffee, wondering if something like eco (similar to postum, but they don’t sell postum anymore) would work to replace instant coffee?

2. Lisa says:

I think macaroons are the only type of dessert I haven’t really tried out yet. And I’m not sure why because I am obsessed with coconut…and coffee to add to that. So this is so my type of Dessert.
    I have a lot of favourite food pairs. Peanut butter + chocolate, coffee + cinnamon, coconut + pumpkin. I good go on…

3. I love coconut too, and would you believe we’ve got 4 sitting in our kitchen right now! Using them for these for sure – they look delicious 🙂

4. Michelle says:

I LOVE THAT COCONUT SHIRT! Hahaha it really is perfect. And this cookie looks DIVINE!

5. Oooo this would be a perfect dessert to bring to one of my bookclub meetings! and my favorite pairing would probably be chocolate and peanut butter… just can’t go wrong.

6. Maddie says:

These look awesome!

Your coconut obsession rivals mine (my favorite pastime is making coconut butter in my vitamix)! I actually love coconut butter and peanut butter (I got the idea to add peanut butter and coconut butter from you, since you do banana peanut butter and banana coconut butter, seems logical). Chocolate and cinnamon are also really delicious together – like in a mousse or one of your tofu puddings 🙂

Also I laughed out loud at “opportunity(?)” comment.

7. Rebecca says:

Oh my goodness! Where can I buy that shirt??? Recipe looks great too of course 🙂

8. These look awesome! I used to really hate coconut but now I love it. Especially coconut butter. 🙂 But, you’re right, loving it more than chocolate would be taking it just a little too far 😉

9. Gina Sengupta says:

I need that shirt like I need a chocolate dipped macaroon! Please who is the manufacturer?

10. Tammela says:

Yum! I love: PB + banana, PB + chocolate, almonds + dried cranberries, sweet potatoes + cumin, and so many more combinations.

11. Amanda says:

PB&J is my favorite. One of my favorite questions to ask people is : if you could eat just one meal what would it be? My answer is PB&J – wheat bread, smooth peanut butter, grape jelly.

Thanks, as always, for your awesome posts, Katie.

1. Vienna says:

anunrefinedvegan did PB&J themed recipes for Oct 2013’s Vegan MoFo. Sweet and savory!

1. Vienna says:

*meant Sept.

1. Amanda says:

Wow! Thanks for letting me know. I checked it out and will be using some of those recipes.

12. Melissa says:

Yum, sounds great! Some of my favorite combos are: cereal and yogurt, fruit and yogurt, veggies with hummus and coffee and flavored syrup!

13. Emily says:

These look amazing!!! I have two questions though: can I make these without the coffee (not a fan) and can I make the with sweetened coconut minus the sweetener?
    Cinnamon sugar is probably one of my favorite combos. That and anything fruity covered in chocolate. (Except citrus. Blech)

14. Kaira says:

Chocolate and coconut is one of my favorite pairs. Other favorites are pumpkin and chocolate, coffee and chocolate, and chocolate and raspberry. Notice something in common with all of those?

15. Grace says:

one of my favorite food pairs is yogurt and peanut butter!

16. I love how glossy the chocolate is in the first photo. Now, if only I could reach through this computer screen and eat them 🙂

17. sheri says:

These were very good Thanks for a yummy recipe
    came at just the right time I was looking for a recipe

18. Heather @TheSoulfulSpoon says:

Geez Katie! If your recipes get ANY more like my tastebuds, I’m going to eat my screen lol! These are all three of my fave flavors in ONE bite!:) I love these! I’ve decided I could live off chocolate and coconut if I had too:) I actually flavor my green smoothies with espresso beans, coconut and chocolate lol- it’s that bad!:)

19. Val says:

These look sooo good. My favorite food combos? Probably chocolate + coffee. Yummm

20. Jessica says:

Chocolate, peanut butter and banana as well as avocado and pineapple. Or just about any sweet-salty pairing.