Gingerbread Ice Cream

Gingerbread Ice Cream

Icemageddon

On Thursday afternoon when I called my mom back in Texas, she said the state was about to get hit with a massive ice storm (nicknamed icemageddon in the news) and that Texans were going completely crazy—rushing the stores like it was Black Friday all over again, stockpiling food and waters and blankets and turtlenecks.

As I looked down at my car dashboard that read 70 degrees here in the northeast, it was hard for me to comprehend. My air conditioning was on, and I was wearing short sleeves.

Gingerbread Ice Cream

In honor of Texas’ icemageddon, I give to you a seasonal version of my basic ice cream recipe: Gingerbread Ice Cream. This healthy ice cream recipe is rich, smooth, and insanely creamy; and the sweet gingerbread flavor offers a great way to get you into the holiday spirit. Turn on Elf or The Santa Clause (two of my favorite Christmas movies), and serve yourself a big bowl of ice cream.

Best eaten in front of a warm fire, snuggled up in a blanket.

Gingerbread Ice Cream

Gingerbread Ice Cream

Gingerbread Ice Cream

• 1 cup raw cashews or macadamia halves (120g)
  • 1 1/3 cups milk of choice (320g)
  • 3 1/2 tbsp blackstrap or regular molasses (50g)
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • scant 1/4 tsp salt
  • just over 1/16 tsp pure stevia, or 3 extra tbsp sugar of choice
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract

In a bowl, comletely cover the nuts with water and let sit 5-8 hours. Drain, then pat dry very well with a towel. Combine all ingredients in a blender, blending until all cashew bits have disappeared and the mixture is completely smooth. If you own a Vita-Mix: Pour the blended mixture into two ice-cube trays and freeze until solid. Once they are frozen, pop the ice cubes into your Vita-Mix by pushing a knife down one side of each section. Blend on high, using the tamper until completely smooth with a soft-serve texture. Scoop the ice cream into individual bowls using an ice-cream scoop for authentic presentation. Eat immediately or freeze up to an hour for the perfect ice-cream texture and consistency. The best texture is achieved with a Vita-Mix, but you can still get a pretty good result with an ice cream maker. (If you don’t have an ice cream maker either, you can still turn the blended mixture into popsicles! Also: a reader did have success with a food processor by thawing the ice cubes a little extra before blending, and it turned out like soft-serve.) For the ice-cream-maker method: Pour blended mixture into a large container and freeze 30 minutes or refrigerate 6 or more hours. Pour chilled mixture into the ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions. Once a smooth texture is reached, scoop into individual bowls using an ice-cream scoop for authentic presentation. Eat immediately or freeze up to an hour for a firmer texture.

Any of the following milks works in the ice cream recipe: Silk Almondmilk, homemade cashew cream, canned full-fat coconut milk, Earth Balance soymilk, Alpro soy cream… I’m sure many others will work; I just haven’t tried them all. (It’s probably best to use a milk that contains some fat.) Due to the lack of preservatives and stabilizers in this ice cream, it tastes best on the day it’s made. However you can freeze for up to a month: it’s best to portion the ice cream into individual bowls before freezing. Then remove a bowl from the freezer 20-30 minutes before eating and it will thaw back into smooth ice cream.

View Nutrition Facts

gingerbread molasses ice cream

Question of the Day:

Have you experienced any crazy winter weather yet this year?

Have you gotten any snow days off from work or school yet? Do you like snow days, or would you prefer to just keep the days off later in the spring?

Link of the Day: Crockpot Oatmeal

Tags: , , , , ,

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

Yes first comment!!!
    this ice cream looks amazing! i needed a way to use up some molasses… and BAM! here this recipe was!!

1. Emilylovesraisins says:

to the QOTD: this morning, no snow. Now, there is most definitely snow. Its chicago, what did i expect?!

2. Claire E. says:

Oh my goodness Katie, YES! It is SO COLD here! The roads here are completely iced over and inches of ice and snow. Oh yeah, and it’s snowing again right now! CRAZY Texas, crazy! It was 78〫at the start of the week and then over night we FROZE. Everyone who lives in TX is saying it’s “icemageddon” lol!
    Anyway, this recipe sounds absolutely delectable! I think the flavors of gingerbread are so aromatic and delicious. Your recipes are so creative, and I love the photos too! I was actually hoping you’d talk about this “icemageddon”! Hahah!

P.s. I can’t wait for your cookbook! I tell my mom often that I’m going to HAVE to pre-order it as soon as it comes available! 😀

3. This looks delicious, and totally appropriate for the non-crazy, but not Christmas-y weather we have here in Hawaii!!

4. Rachel says:

I live in Arizona and up until this week we’ve been having a crazy-warm winter. On Wednesday, the temperature in the afternoon was 75 and the sun was shining. On Thursday, it was cloudy and the temperature started cool, becoming colder as the day went on. When I woke up Friday morning, it was 30 degrees and water everywhere had a thin sheet of ice over it. Apparently, winter came on Thursday. 😛

On a side note, does anybody ever do anything with the cashew water they drain off? I’ve been wondering if it would be good to use to make oatmeal (normally I use some form of milk).

5. Clare Elise says:

This sounds fantastic :) I am so trying it out :)

6. YUM! And I love that it can be made dairy free!! 😉

7. My family is in Texas, too (and so is half my Facebook feed) so all I’ve been hearing about is this icemageddon. Fortunately, even though it’s still below freezing here in the Pacific Northwest, there isn’t precipitation – plus it’s sunny!!

This ice cream looks delicious, I just wish my fiancé could have it – he’s allergic to nuts. :(

8. Am says:

Recipe looks awesome!
    Crazy winter weather: 2 days ago there was a balmy breeze, the sun was shining, and the A/C was set to 80 and came on fairly often. The night was very humid and warm. Yesterday, it was cold, rainy, and dry. And it was predicted to drop to 19 degrees last night! Crazy, and cool.

9. Bridget says:

This recipe looks fantastic! Yum! Recipe suggestion for you: Shortbread cookies (and/or chocolate shortbread!) :)

10. Yum! This looks amazing – and perfect for a hot Australian Christmas!

11. Audrey says:

Katie the ice cream looks delicious! I wish I could make this but it’s currently well below freezing in Eugene Oregon (Duck Nation ), so I’ll have to “settle” for more of your pancakes, waffles, and delicious cornbread 😉 Hope your mom’s staying nice and warm in Texas; it was -6 degrees here when I woke up and this California native doesn’t even have a winter coat lol

12. Sara says:

Amazing recipe!!! Did you move out of Texas recently?

13. This is perfect for the 81 degree weather we are having in FL right now. Refreshing & festive!

14. D @ The Kosher Cave Girl says:

I need to try making this with almond milk. It looks insanely good.

15. Umm, YUM!!! Call me crayz but I LOVE that bowl too, lol! So, there I was ALL day long contemplating whether or not to make gingerbread pancakes, gingerbread cookies OR gingerbread waffles for my Blog…why didn’t I think of gingerbread ice cream!!! This looks SOOO good and I love how I can modify it to make it dairy-free!!

16. Jessie K says:

This ice cream sounds delicious! However, I’m not so sure it’s going to be made (by me, that is) any time soon. You see, I live in the coldest spot on earth right now. That’s right, I live in the part of Montana that is even colder than Antartica!!! We’re talking almost a week of -20+ for temps! Talk about crazy winter weather!!

17. joanna says:

how funny!! i literally had gingerbread ice cream for breakfast. i found the recipe on another blog and it was great. yours is a little different (the other had fruit instead of nuts) but now i wanna try yours. the more gingerbread ice cream i eat, the happier i am.

18. Stefanie says:

Oh my goodness, this makes me want a Vitamix so badly!
    It’s been in the high 50s – low 60s in LA, and everyone thinks it’s soooo cold. Ha!

19. Isabel says:

this looks delicious! We got about eight inches of snow here in Oregon and it was crazy because we usually don´t get that much and if we do it´s usually in February or March, not before Christmas. Feels so festive except in my town of 160,000 there were about 260 car crashes. Had to help push a car.

20. Yum this looks divine! Never used to like the whole gingerbread thing but now I love it. Now to add this on my very long must-try list…