Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Homemade Gingerbread Recipe

This healthy gingerbread has THREE secret ingredients.

THREE secret ingredients make this the moistest gingerbread recipe you will ever eat... Every year, I count the days until the Christmas season when I get to make this gingerbread again! @choccoveredkt

The recipe turns out soft and incredibly moist, with the same deeply rich flavor as traditional gingerbread laden with eggs and butter and sugar…

Yet this is probably the healthiest gingerbread recipe you’ll ever eat!

Gingerbread Cream Cheese Cake

It is especially delicious with Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting on top!

Three Secret Ingredients:

The gingerbread recipe is sweetened with blackstrap molasses – a sweetener that is actually good for you! Unlike regular white sugar, blackstrap molasses is a great source of calcium and iron (20% RDA of each in just one tablespoon!), copper, manganese, magnesium, and potassium.

The recipe also employs Omega-3-rich flaxmeal instead of eggs, allowing this gingerbread to be completely cholesterol-free.

And the final secret healthy ingredient in this gingerbread recipe is…

Gingerbread Cake

Carrot Juice.

Did you see that one coming?!

I added the carrot juice in a spell of creativity, believing the sweet and earthy flavor of the carrots would complement both the cinnamon and molasses in the gingerbread. The carrot juice also adds moisture to the recipe, which keeps the fat content low without sacrificing richness.

healthy gingerbread

Homemade Gingerbread Recipe

Print This Recipe 5/5

• 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 cup molasses (blackstrap or regular) (50g)
  • 1/4 cup liquid sweetener, such as pure maple syrup (60g)
  • 1/3 cup carrot juice (80g)
  • 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar (15g)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable or melted coconut oil (20g)
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxmeal (12g) (or 2 tsp energ)
  • 1 cup ww pastry, white, spelt or bob's gf flour (120g)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp each powdered ginger and cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 cup xylitol or brown sugar (45g)
  • 1/2 cup raisins, optional

Gingerbread Recipe: Preheat oven to 400 F and grease an 8×8 pan. In a large measuring bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients (all liquid ingredients and the flax). Let sit at least 5 minutes. In a separate measuring bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly combined. Do not overmix. Pour into the pan and bake 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and let sit another 20 minutes to cool and achieve the correct texture. If desired, frost with my homemade cream cheese icing recipe linked below the second photo in this post.

Gingerbread Recipe Nutrition Facts

Ginger Cake

Link of the Day:

36 Healthy Cookies Recipes

Tags: , ,

1. This looks absolutely amazing!! Thanks so much for a healthy holiday recipe; I’ve been looking for something to take to our family potluck, and I think this is a winner!

2. Melissa says:

Yummy! Looks so good, I love how it combines carrots and maple syrup!

3. Russell says:

Please, Please, PLEASE tell me there is some way to make this GF and be just as tasty!

1. Alli says:

Just use an all purpose blend! That’s what I do with tons of recipes!

4. Mike says:

Would this work to make gingerbread men cookies or is the dough not rollable and cut-outable?

1. I think it would not work because the dough is for cake, not cookies. I do have a gingerbread cookie recipe going in my cookbook (out in late 2014) but am unfortunately not allowed to publish it here for copyright reasons :(.

5. LisaKCorcoran says:

This looks FABULOUS! I am going to make it in mini-s for holiday treats. I, too, an wondering if it would work with Gluten-Free baking mix? Have you experimented with any other types of flours?

1. LisaKCorcoran says:

WOW! Finally made this bread last night at a GF Baking Party! Came out sooo good. Used a GF All-Purpose Flour..Bob’s Old Mill, homemade carrot juice and maple syrup for sweetener. I made a batch in a 6 Mini-Loaf pan and cooked for the same amount of time. They came out MOIST and SO DELICIOUS..of course, we had to sample one right out of the oven;-). Frosted the loaves with a Vegan/Allergy Free Tofu Frosting recipe. Super perfect. Really amazed at how good and sweet and wonderful this recipe is. THANK YOU AGAIN)

6. angela bean says:

does this recipe work with with gluten free flour x

1. I have not tried it. If you try it with Bob’s gf mix or another gf mix, definitely be sure to report back!

7. Anna says:

Would this work with spelt flour? I never have ww pastry flour on hand. Thanks! Looks amazing!

1. I would think so, but I have not tried it so can’t say for sure.

1. Anna says:

I just made this with spelt flour and it worked great! I used your vanilla fudge frosting recipe and it’s delicious! Thanks! :)

1. Anna says:

Oh, and I used sucanat instead of brown sugar

8. Definitely saving this recipe, I love gingerbread so much! thanks Katie.

9. Where do you get carrots juice? Could I find and organic carrot juice? This recipe sounds great! My Holistic dr. says my spleen needs the molasses, so it’d be a yummy way to get it! Lol! :)

1. Just remembered my local Costco has organic carrot juice. What are the odds, I mean really? Perfect! 😉

1. LisaKCorcoran says:

You can also make your own carrot juice if you have a good blender)..super easy..I do it in my Vitamix alot..just a few carrots and lemon juice and water!

1. Thanks for the tip Lisa! However, I don’t have a VitaMix (I want one!). I hope your day is great! God bless! :)

2. Amber says:

Is it just a splash of lemon and water, or a significant amount? I was thinking of just throwing carrots in the blender until I saw your post!

1. LisaKCorcoran says:

Hi! Yep..just a splash of lemon juice…I guess you could leave it out as well..I just do it that way)..a couple carrots, about 3/4 c water! So easy! Enjoy)

2. Sandy says:

You could blend the carrots in the milk if you don’t have carrot juice.

10. Lena says:

Ginger alone is something I can’t stand eating, but I’m always so tempted to try gingerbread recipes. This one looks really good! Maybe I’ll try it with less ginger…

11. I love gingerbread! Your healthy version looks so delicious. I just bought some Blackstrap Molasses and I can’t wait to use it.. this gingerbread looks like an awesome place to start.

12. That looks so dense and delicious! I might have to give this a try!

13. carol says:

I too would like to know a substitute for the whole wheat pastry flour!! This sounds great!

1. If you try it with a different flour (such as all-purpose), definitely report back with results. I would think ap flour would work, but I haven’t tried it.

2. Kathleen says:

Spelt works nicely!

14. Elisabetta says:

Katie we need you on instagram!!

1. C.E. says:

I second that! :)

1. You are wearing me down… I promise to start an instagram before February of next year. Hopefully this month. :)

1. Claire says:

Oh no! I don’t mean to wear you out! I know you’re busy with your cookbook (Super excited for that too!). God bless you Katie! Thanks for all that you do and always replying! 😀

1. No no, in a good way. As in, “why don’t I have this already?”

2. Claire says:

Oh! Okay! I’m glad there is no stress then! I totally understand having so much to do and not really having time for little things like instagram. Lol! :]

15. Julia says:

Oh my goodness, Katie! I’m devouring a big piece of this right now, and it’s so good! My grandmother makes fantastic gingerbread, but I haven’t had it since before I went vegan. It sucks that I can’t have her gingerbread anymore, but the outcome of this recipe really reminded me of hers! It’s just as moist, with this amazing little crust on the outside. <3 I halved the recipe and added a pinch of cloves as well as 1 tsp of soy cream, though.

I won't be the only one not having gingerbread this year. Thanks for saving my Christmas. :)

1. Thank you so much for making it. I think you’re the first one to try the recipe! :)

16. Chelsea says:

Oh my gosh. I am making this. Stat. Thank you, thank you!!!

17. Jessica says:

Hmm… I LOVE me some gingerbread. The only problem is, I’ve been trying to drop a couple of pounds. This time of year KILLS me as I have an incredibly large sweet tooth. :) Thanks for sharing this recipe of a healthy version… I will certainly make use of this! (Minus the raisins though! 😉 I’m off to grab my carrots and my juicer!

18. ace says:

Now I want carrot cake. 😐

19. Stefanie says:

Oh my gosh, I am seriously drooling! I was just thinking that I need to look for a vegan gingerbread recipe… the search is over!

20. Lu says:

I just read your recipe and I’d love to make this gingerbread! I’ve been looking for such a “dark and moist” gingerbread for a loooong time! The problem is I am french so I don’t understand everything well….
    Is “flaxmeal” some kind of flour made of flaxseed? I know flaxseed meal but I think I’ve never seen flaxmeal anywhere.
    What is “allspice”? A special mix of spices for gingerbread? (We can find something called “4 épices (4 spices)” in France).

Many thanks for your answers! :)

1. Hannah says:

Hi Lu,

Flaxmeal is flaxseed (also known as linseed) ground down into a powder (I like to use a coffee grinder for mine!)
      Allspice is a spice in its own right, coming from one plant. I think it is what is known as le piment de la Jamique in France.

Hope this helps! 😀

1. Lu says:

Many thanks!
        I’ll test this ASAP!

2. Lu says:

I’m sorry to disturb again, but I’m searching for equivalences on the internet…for flour, they say 1 cup = 140g, you say 120g, should I put 120g as you say? :)
        And as concerns milk, can you help me? They say 160ml but I’m not so sure ^^ If you could tell me in grams or ml?

Many many thanks!

1. It depends on if it’s packed or not packed… I wish everyone used food scales, as it would make things a whole lot easier. So yes, 120g. Always go with the gram measurements if they are included. Same with the milk. Go with the grams listed.

3. I_Fortuna says:

Normally flaxseed meal is found in the same aisle as flour often on the top shelf in a box. It can be used as an egg or oil replacement. I am not sure of the substitute measurements, however. Hubby sprinkles it on PB sandwiches, it can go on salads, cereals, breads, cakes, smoothies, just about anything. Flax has omegs 3’s so I buy several boxes and put them in the freezer. The meal itself does not freeze and is usable right out of the freezer. Freezer storage keeps it fresh.

21. Looks too good to be true! Thanks for the recipe!

22. becauseHeloves! says:

This looks seriously amazing! I have been wanting to make a healthy gingerbread for a while, and this looks like the perfect recipe!

23. J9mpls says:

Brown sugar, maple syrup and wheat flour…healthy???

24. Katy says:

Carrot juice- what a great idea! An excellent way to slip some extra vitamins into your cake. Moisture is a must in gingerbread cakes and it looks like you accomplished that feat.

25. Susan says:

This is pure genius! Definitely going to be part of the Christmas Dinner Extravaganza.

26. Pam says:

I made this this afternoon and it was really yummy. Bolthouse Farms has 100% carrot juice. It was $2.39 for 15 ozs. Since I will definitely be making this again, I am going to freeze the carrot juice. The cake was moist and flavorful. I prepared the recipe exactly as written and loved it! Didn’t put any glaze or topping on it, just to save calories. Thanks Katie for another great recipe!

27. Nicole says:

I just made this with homemade carrot juice and followed the recipe exactly except I added nutmeg and a lemon cream cheese glaze (and no raisins)! Soooooooo moist and delicious! This was my first time making gingerbread and I’m so happy I used your recipe, thanks Katie!

28. Cathy says:

Wow, just made the gingerbread and it is so easy and delicious. Making again for Christmas. Thank you.

29. Tammy says:

Used buckwheat flour and a little xanthan gum to make gluten free. Worked great and is delicious!

30. Kelly says:

These look and sound amazing, yum!

Sparkles and Shoes

31. Jessica says:

I read your intro too quickly and I thought this gingerbread could be made with *ONLY* three ingredients. I was very excited to see how you could make a cake with three things!! The actual recipe looks pretty delicious too. :)

32. Melissa says:

Haha I read this that there were *only* three ingredients, not three *secret* ingredients. So, when you announced carrot juice, molasses, and flaxmeal, I was not convinced. Oh what a laugh that gave me :) The real recipe sounds great, though!

33. Carrie says:

YUM! YUM! YUM! We made a double batch of this for our family and the the whole family thought it was out-of-this-world-delicious! I had some date caramel filling leftovers in the freezer from when we made your Candy Bar Cupcakes. We spread that over the cake for a frosting. Heavenly! Awesome recipes, Katie! Thanks a million!

34. Elizabeth says:

I’m officially on holidays now so I am totally making this this week! I have already been making lots of gingerbread smoothies with fresh grated ginger and blackstrap molasses. I love these flavors this time of year…

35. Sara says:

Great!!! I plan to make this very soon, it seems very delicious!:)

36. mary says:

can you sub coconut palm flour for the brown sugar?

1. I_Fortuna says:

Coconut sugar or date sugar are what I use in place of brown sugar. We are diabetic and these sugars have not caused us any problem.

37. Steph says:

Could you use more molasses for the liquid sweetener part? (you suggested maple syrup…)

38. Melanie says:

Thanks for the recipe. Going to make this on Christmas :)

39. catherina says:

In a traditionnal recipe from Poland, coffee is used as a liquid to add moisture and flavor to gingerbread. I like also to add candied Ginger pieces in it! I have found in a libanese store carob molasses: it’s simply made from carob pods, so it’s quite healthy as a sugar substitute for molasse. If you can find some, give it a try!

40. Nope, I definitely did not see that one coming. I love gingerbread and now I have an excuse to make it with all the carrots in my fridge. Thanks!

41. O…m…g…that looks delicious!!! I love the addition of carrot juice! SO healthy! I actually made a batch of Pumpkin-Pie Spiced Puffed Rice Marshmallows Squares ( I wish I would have made these instead, lol!

42. Ally says:

Oh my goodness, yum! You are just so creative and inspiring.

43. Lori says:

I made this in a large cup in the microwave. I used a fourth of each ingredient listed except carrot juice. I subbed water for it since I didn’t have any. I nuked it for 1 minute & it was great!! I used your canned coconut Cool Whip for the topping. I will bake this for Christmas Eve for my family. I would like to reduce the sugar for my Diabetic Dad, but I will keep the molasses in for the flavor. If anyone has any ideas about how much liquid or even powdered Stevia to use, please let me know. Thanks!

44. Sarah says:

Just made this recipe this morning and it is amazing! Came out exactly as pictured and described. I didn’t have carrot juice so I replaced it with lemonade (!), and used half spelt and half ww flour. Love it!! Thanks so much!

1. Sarah says:

Oh and also forgot to mention that I used stevia in place of the brown sugar!

1. Lori says:

Sarah-How much stevia did you substitute for the brown sugar?

45. Jessica says:

Just made these but as cupcakes instead and added cranberries! SO yummy.
    Thanks for yet another amazing recipe!

46. jenny says:

just wondering if i could use carrot puree instead of carrot juice

47. Thanks for the great recipe Katie. I think these are going to be our Christmas eve dessert!

48. Sarah says:

Hi Katie,

I LOVE your recipes and have turned numerous people on to your recipes (my husband and I have pumpkin boatmeals every weekend for breakfast!) I’m making this for dessert on Friday but making it a day ahead. How do I store it? Does it need to be refrigerated? Thanks!

1. I would fridge it just to be on the safe side. And thank you!

49. Jack says:

This is such a great recipe, it was so tasty! I actually subbed the carrot juice for water, just because I’m allergic to carrots, and I used only one tbsp of liquid sweetener (maple syrup) and added one tsp vanilla. Thanks so much for making so many amazing recipes that are so easily adapted!

50. Kavita says:

This is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! So delicious. This recipe is a keeper!

(Note that I made it sans frosting, and I used Bob’s GF flour.)

51. Christine says:

I made this today – found everything I needed at Sprouts. This is crazy delicious!!! My 4 sons and I love it!

52. Sol says:

Looks incredible!! Is there any way to make this oil-free, or perhaps replace the oil with nut/coconut butter?

53. Nick says:

I made this– I subsituted apple cider juice for the carrot juice, and I didn’t have any vinegar. And I did add raisins (golden raisins). The batter was so liquidy I thought I had made a mistake– I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out. I served it plain with soy whipping cream (the kind you buy in spray cans at health food stores). I’d definitely make it again– I was looking for a moist recipe because two other attempts with another vegan gingerbread cake turned out too dry.

54. Kelly says:

Has anyone tried subbing anything for the flax meal? I don’t have any on hand and was planning to make this tomorrow. I thought maybe apple sauce or an egg white?

55. Kim says:

Hi Katie,
    I’ve been looking at all of your wonderful recipes, but I think this may be the first I’ve tried (although the garbanzo-based chocolate chip cookie dough and oatmeal cinnamon “rolls” are on my list of things to make this week).

I took the pan out of the oven after 25 minutes (against my better judgment), thinking it would set up, but it really didn’t. After it cooled, it was still super squishy on top, so I put it back in the oven for another 10-15 min, which, of course, isn’t the same as simply baking longer in the first place, but it did set up a bit more.

I used your cream cheese icing recipe, using powdered xylitol as sweetener, but added extra vanilla and some coconut cream because I could taste the tofu. Since the gingerbread was sunken in, it made a perfect cavity to fill with icing! :) I chilled it overnight and garnished with grated nutmeg. I called them gingerbread cheesecake squares, although my husband wanted me to call them gingerbread crap squares. When I asked why, he said that way no one would want to eat them and I would bring them home so he could eat them. Ha! :)

At the party I brought them to, they were a hit. Everybody loved them and even went back for more. The gingerbread had a wonderful, spicy flavor, but was super dense and not cakey at all. Oh, forgot to mention I used Manini’s GF mulit-use flour.

56. Kim says:

Hi Katie,

My husband and I have moved twice in the past six months, with new jobs for both of us, so I’ve been super busy and missing being in the kitchen. Thanks for all of your yummy-looking recipes. Can’t wait to try some more, now that things have calmed down a bit. Merry Christmas!

57. Bunnaliqua says:

I made this for Christmas and everyone really liked it! Even the people who don’t typically like “healthy” desserts. People did not know it is so low in calories. It is very moist and light. Deliciously spiced.

The recipe made 30 mini cupcakes, I added regular cream cheese frosting (1.5c heavy whipping cream, 8oz light cream chz, 1c powdered sugar, 1 tsp vanilla) and they are approximately 115 calories per cake w frosting! The cakes themselves are 40 cal per cake which is amazing. Next time I’ll try your cream cheese frosting.

This was the 3rd dish from your website that I have made (I’ve made the Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip) and every one has been a winner!

Thank you! I love getting your emails and read every one :)

58. Sasha says:

I made this with the frosting for christmas and it was great! Was super easy and came out perfect. It was a hit with my family too. And bonus, it made my whole house smell FANTASTIC when I was making it. Will definitely make again!

59. Anastasia says:

Oh, I wish I had seen this post a few days ago.. could have presented it to the family for Christmas! Oh well it’s still the festive season.. can still put 1 or 2 of these ingredients on my shopping list and have it done by tomorrow. Thanks and have a great 2014!

60. Sonya says:

I didn’t have carrot juice on hand and subbed in unsweetened applesauce- it worked DIVINE! The hard part is sharing!
    I’ll definitely try again with the carrot juice. and again and again and again.

1. Heidi says:

Thank you so much for posting your comment about using unsweetened applesauce in place of carrot juice! I had no clue what i was going to sub in place of carrot juice. :)

61. Alyssa says:

So this was an awesome recipe! My two year old came up to me begging for a birthday cake…well needless to say I don’t keep that on hand as his birthday is in August…when I told him we didn’t have any he threw himself down face to the floor crying. Well, I remembered seeing this recipe a couple weeks ago and decided to make it since it is super healthy yet oh so yummy!
    Well he had the best time mixing the batter and waiting for it to cook and when I said it was ready he squealed with glee. Finally to top it off he looked at me with a mouthful of cake and tofutti cream cheese frosting covering his lips and says: Yummy!! This is officially toddler approved.
    I subbed apple cider for carrot juice, used spelt flour, and subbed craisins for raisins. Um…awesome! truly a great keeper recipe…..especially for us moms with babies we are trying to train to eat healthy/vegan and still have some ooey gooey yummy fun!

62. Marilyn says:

What amount of stivia is in the one you use?

63. Jessica says:

I used organic all purpose wheat flour and freshly expressed carrot juice. It was amazing. Even my husband who is an egg meat and sugar loving man devoured four pieces! My kids had this for breakfast. It was rich & moist and delicious. I didn’t have the flaxseed but if still came out beautifully. Thank you!

1. Jessica says:

Oh, and I forgot to mention I found these on my fitness pal app as well which was awesome. It said 140 calories per serving (1/8th of the pan) not too shabby :)

64. Stacey Rees says:

Hello! My nme is Stacey and love the sound of this gingerbread for my daughters first birthday cake…making a humpty dumpty cake :) Was just wondering if almond meal canbe used intead of flour (my sister is gluten free ) and if soy milk/almond milk can be use instead of regular milk (one of the kids is dairy free). Of course 2 people had to have different dietry requirements hahaha. Also I am thinking about making a vanilla cashew nut “cream cheese” icing to go ontop…thoughts on if these flavours would mix? (Just looking for your opinionon that last one…hubby is a chef but i thin he is sick of my questions regarding this cake – I have changed my mind 5 times!!!)

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.
    Respond asap so I can make a “practice cake” and “accidently” eat it…all of it… hahaha

Lots of love.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sounds like you will have to experiment. Have fun and good luck!

65. Meredith peirick says:

I am nursing and craving gingerbread. I made this today and its absolutely fantastic. Just fyi I used blackstrap molases and ground chia instead of flax. Came out great! Thanks!

66. Chrys says:

Thanks for working to create healthy and delicious desserts, especially of old favorites we all enjoy!

I just wanted to point out one thing, though: the popular negative association of eggs and high cholesterol–not true! It was once believed to be a problem, and still is by many. My own great aunt used to eat egg whites only.

In a nutshell, eggs not only increase “good” cholesterol, they also FIGHT “bad” cholesterol! Good news for all of us egg-lovers! ;D

But don’t take my word for it: see for yourself when you check Harvard Health, Mayo Clinic, and a jillion others.

Here’s a good summary from the Life Extension Blog (the numbers in the text were originally superscripted for footnotes):

Health Myth 1: Eggs Give you Heart Disease

This is an old one. Let’s lay this to rest already!

Yes, eggs are a rich source of cholesterol, but they won’t give you heart disease. In fact, eating eggs has been associated with an increase in HDL,1your body’s “good cholesterol.”

Eggs also have a favorable impact on LDL. They support the production of large LDL particles,2 which is associated with a lower risk of heart disease.

In contrast, smaller LDL particles are more likely to enter arterial walls and lead to plaque buildup. In addition, organic eggs are a good source of omega-3s, which are beneficial for your heart.

67. Heidi Bruner says:

What if you dont have carrot juice?

68. karen murray says:

isn’t there any way to print some of these amazing recipes?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie is working on a print option to be up next week! Until then, you can highlight the text you want and press control c. Then open a word document and press control v or paste. Hope that helps!

69. Jessica says:

Hi! this recipe looks good. i’d like to try it but i have a question first:
    1. the 2 tbsp of ground flaxmeal-what does that do? would it harm the recipe if i just left it out? what else could i substitute it with? (sorry if that’s a dumb question) that’s the only ingredient i’m unfamiliar with
    thanks a bunch! :)

70. Natalie says:

These look amazing! Do you think using apple cider instead of carrot juice would work?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Sure! Why not?

71. christina says:

I LOVE this recipe! I make this once a week, and double the recipe so we don’t run out as quickly. If I can’t locate carrots in my refrigerator, I juice apples, or fresh pumpkin. I also sneak in a quarter cup of ground flax seed (instead of 2 tbs), because it is so good for people, and my kids can’t tell that it is there, and I use Pamela’s Gluten free flour mix for the rest. (I use coconut palm sugar in place of xylitol, because I have dogs who sometimes grab food from the table, and xylitol is fatal for dogs ). Thank you for this delicious, healthy recipe! If you decide to do a cookbook, I will be standing in line!

1. Thank yo so much for making it. This makes me so happy :)

The cookbook is currently available online… and will be out in stores in January!

72. Virginia says:

This looks great! I want to make it for thanksgiving but have a question- if I wanted to use an egg instead of the flax egg, would I leave out the flax and vinegar? And have you tried this recipe with almond or coconut flour? I’m experimenting with gluten-free baking!
    Thank you!

73. Nichole says:

I have this in the oven right now! Can’t wait to take it to Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow!! Thanks Katie!!

74. Haley says:

How many servings does this make?

1. Haley says:

Just kidding! I found it makes 8 servings in your nutrition section :)

75. Nancy Barry says:

Do you think this would work in a muffin tin? What yummy little Christmas cupcakes they would make.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can always experiment! Maybe try not baking as long. And report back if you try!

76. Josephine says:

This looks so good! Your recipes always turn out great and I keep getting requests from my friends :)
    Can I use something else as egg-replacement? And could I use fresh ginger for this?

77. Maria says:

How many batches of cream cheese frosting did this take to cover the gingerbread? Thanks

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Looks like the recipe makes enough for one batch to be enough.

78. Beth says:

I think I am going to make this! I have 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know if this would work well in mini muffin pans?
    2) What other options can be used for the liquid sweetener? Would honey work?

1. Lawliet says:

I don’t know about the muffin pans, but I used honey as a liquid sweetener and it came out great so you know. :)

79. Bethany says:

Thank you! My vegan brother is home for a quick visit and said he was craving gingerbread. I needed something easy with everything I had on hand. I didn’t have the carrot juice so subbed 1/3 cup brewed coffee as someone suggested. Came out fantastic. Thanks so much. Love your recipes! Great photos too.

1. Thank you so much for making it!!

80. Maerwhyn says:

I made this for breakfast this morning (using applesauce instead of the carrots. I don’t have any carrots in the house. How did that happen?!) and it was awesome. I got to have TWO pieces of cake and an apple and milk all in my calorie “budget.” Merry Christmas to me! Thank you, Katie!

81. Bethany Davis says:

This is one of my FAVORITE recipes!!! I add a small diced apple to the batter, and sometimes a couple of tablespoons of finely chopped candied ginger.

We topped it with DREAM™ Sea Salt Caramel Almond Gelato. Delicious!

82. judy young says:

I was so excited to see you have a cookbook coming out. I have mine on reserve already. can’t wait to get it. I love your blog and recipes. they are so easy and healthy. keep up the good work and have a happy holiday.

83. Becca says:

Is there anything else I could use besides carrot juice? Or where do I get carrot juice do I just blend up a carrot?

1. Sara says:

Apple juice works!

84. Oh my gosh. I am making this. Stat. Thank you, thank you!!!

85. Lawliet says:

I made this yesterday and it’s absolutely awesome. I didn’t have carrot juice though so I used 1/3 cup brewed coffee as someone suggested, came out great. Thanks for the recipe Katie, gingerbread is one of my favourite festive treats and this is honestly the best gingerbread I’ve tried all year. :)

1. Yuriko says:

Thank you what you wrote down that I’d like to know about substitute carrot juice !

86. Barbara Gabbe-Harris says:

Hi Katie,
    I just made this Gingerbread recipe! Wow! LOVE this Gingerbread! So moist and yummy!
    I like it without any frosting…just as it is! The carrot juice really makes the difference, I think! You go girl!
    Happy New year! Can’t wait to get your cook book!
    ❤️ Barbara

87. MOAM says:

I thought I ruined the batter, I added the melted coconut butter to the liquid; it solidified into droplets of coconut butter. I added the flax seeds to the dry ingredients portion instead of the wet portion. (I was in a hurry, my kid came home from college for the holiday & I was working off my phone with the too-small print) Talk about a failsafe recipe!!!! IT STILL TURNED OUT WONDERFULLY!!! My daughter LOVES gingerbread, and this was a HUGE hit! I sent her off this morning with the remainder wrapped up to go. THANK YOU KATIE!! :-)

88. Yuri says:

Do you think it works Apple sauce instead Carrot Juice ??

89. Yuriko says:

Can I using apple sauce instead of Carrot Juice ?

90. Nina says:

I love these. It’s getting close to the holidays and I will be making these for sure.

91. Felicia says:

I made this last night using spelt flour, no other alterations, and it came out kind of wet on the bottom. It tastes great, it is almost a little like a caramel on the bottom of the cake, but nonetheless, it is still kind of wet. It also baked a little unevenly, the center was kind of sunken. It is definitely not stopping us from eating it, however. Wondering if anyone else has had this happen? Is it as simple as cooking it longer? I’m using a newer oven that does really well with everything else I make, so that’s probably not the problem.