Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Homemade Gingerbread Recipe

This healthy gingerbread has THREE secret ingredients.

THREE secret ingredients make this the moistest gingerbread recipe you will ever eat... Every year, I count the days until the Christmas season when I get to make this gingerbread again! @choccoveredkt

The recipe turns out soft and incredibly moist, with the same deeply rich flavor as traditional gingerbread laden with eggs and butter and sugar…

Yet this is probably the healthiest gingerbread recipe you’ll ever eat!

Gingerbread Cream Cheese Cake

It is especially delicious with Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting on top!

Three Secret Ingredients:

The gingerbread recipe is sweetened with blackstrap molasses – a sweetener that is actually good for you! Unlike regular white sugar, blackstrap molasses is a great source of calcium and iron (20% RDA of each in just one tablespoon!), copper, manganese, magnesium, and potassium.

The recipe also employs Omega-3-rich flaxmeal instead of eggs, allowing this gingerbread to be completely cholesterol-free.

And the final secret healthy ingredient in this gingerbread recipe is…

Gingerbread Cake

Carrot Juice.

Did you see that one coming?!

I added the carrot juice in a spell of creativity, believing the sweet and earthy flavor of the carrots would complement both the cinnamon and molasses in the gingerbread. The carrot juice also adds moisture to the recipe, which keeps the fat content low without sacrificing richness.

healthy gingerbread

Homemade Gingerbread Recipe

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 2/3 cup milk of choice
  • 1/4 cup molasses (blackstrap or regular) (50g)
  • 1/4 cup liquid sweetener, such as pure maple syrup (60g)
  • 1/3 cup carrot juice (80g)
  • 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar (15g)
  • 2 tbsp vegetable or melted coconut oil (20g)
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxmeal (12g) (or 2 tsp energ)
  • 1 cup ww pastry, white, spelt or bob's gf flour (120g)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp each powdered ginger and cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp allspice
  • 1/4 cup xylitol or brown sugar (45g)
  • 1/2 cup raisins, optional

Gingerbread Recipe: Preheat oven to 400 F and grease an 8×8 pan. In a large measuring bowl, whisk together the first seven ingredients (all liquid ingredients and the flax). Let sit at least 5 minutes. In a separate measuring bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients. Pour wet into dry, and stir until just evenly combined. Do not overmix. Pour into the pan and bake 25 minutes, then remove from the oven and let sit another 20 minutes to cool and achieve the correct texture. If desired, frost with my homemade cream cheese icing recipe linked below the second photo in this post.

Gingerbread Recipe Nutrition Facts

Ginger Cake

Link of the Day:

36 Healthy Cookies Recipes

Tags: , ,

1. This looks absolutely amazing!! Thanks so much for a healthy holiday recipe; I’ve been looking for something to take to our family potluck, and I think this is a winner!

2. Melissa says:

Yummy! Looks so good, I love how it combines carrots and maple syrup!

3. Russell says:

Please, Please, PLEASE tell me there is some way to make this GF and be just as tasty!

1. Alli says:

Just use an all purpose blend! That’s what I do with tons of recipes!

4. Mike says:

Would this work to make gingerbread men cookies or is the dough not rollable and cut-outable?

1. I think it would not work because the dough is for cake, not cookies. I do have a gingerbread cookie recipe going in my cookbook (out in late 2014) but am unfortunately not allowed to publish it here for copyright reasons :(.

5. LisaKCorcoran says:

This looks FABULOUS! I am going to make it in mini-s for holiday treats. I, too, an wondering if it would work with Gluten-Free baking mix? Have you experimented with any other types of flours?

1. LisaKCorcoran says:

WOW! Finally made this bread last night at a GF Baking Party! Came out sooo good. Used a GF All-Purpose Flour..Bob’s Old Mill, homemade carrot juice and maple syrup for sweetener. I made a batch in a 6 Mini-Loaf pan and cooked for the same amount of time. They came out MOIST and SO DELICIOUS..of course, we had to sample one right out of the oven;-). Frosted the loaves with a Vegan/Allergy Free Tofu Frosting recipe. Super perfect. Really amazed at how good and sweet and wonderful this recipe is. THANK YOU AGAIN)

6. angela bean says:

does this recipe work with with gluten free flour x

1. I have not tried it. If you try it with Bob’s gf mix or another gf mix, definitely be sure to report back!

7. Anna says:

Would this work with spelt flour? I never have ww pastry flour on hand. Thanks! Looks amazing!

1. I would think so, but I have not tried it so can’t say for sure.

1. Anna says:

I just made this with spelt flour and it worked great! I used your vanilla fudge frosting recipe and it’s delicious! Thanks! 🙂

1. Anna says:

Oh, and I used sucanat instead of brown sugar

8. Definitely saving this recipe, I love gingerbread so much! thanks Katie.

9. Where do you get carrots juice? Could I find and organic carrot juice? This recipe sounds great! My Holistic dr. says my spleen needs the molasses, so it’d be a yummy way to get it! Lol! 🙂

1. Just remembered my local Costco has organic carrot juice. What are the odds, I mean really? Perfect! 😉

1. LisaKCorcoran says:

You can also make your own carrot juice if you have a good blender)..super easy..I do it in my Vitamix alot..just a few carrots and lemon juice and water!

1. Thanks for the tip Lisa! However, I don’t have a VitaMix (I want one!). I hope your day is great! God bless! 🙂

2. Amber says:

Is it just a splash of lemon and water, or a significant amount? I was thinking of just throwing carrots in the blender until I saw your post!

1. LisaKCorcoran says:

Hi! Yep..just a splash of lemon juice…I guess you could leave it out as well..I just do it that way)..a couple carrots, about 3/4 c water! So easy! Enjoy)

10. Lena says:

Ginger alone is something I can’t stand eating, but I’m always so tempted to try gingerbread recipes. This one looks really good! Maybe I’ll try it with less ginger…

11. I love gingerbread! Your healthy version looks so delicious. I just bought some Blackstrap Molasses and I can’t wait to use it.. this gingerbread looks like an awesome place to start.

12. That looks so dense and delicious! I might have to give this a try!

13. carol says:

I too would like to know a substitute for the whole wheat pastry flour!! This sounds great!

1. If you try it with a different flour (such as all-purpose), definitely report back with results. I would think ap flour would work, but I haven’t tried it.

2. Kathleen says:

Spelt works nicely!

14. Julia says:

Oh my goodness, Katie! I’m devouring a big piece of this right now, and it’s so good! My grandmother makes fantastic gingerbread, but I haven’t had it since before I went vegan. It sucks that I can’t have her gingerbread anymore, but the outcome of this recipe really reminded me of hers! It’s just as moist, with this amazing little crust on the outside. <3 I halved the recipe and added a pinch of cloves as well as 1 tsp of soy cream, though.

I won't be the only one not having gingerbread this year. Thanks for saving my Christmas. 🙂

1. Thank you so much for making it. I think you’re the first one to try the recipe! 🙂

15. Chelsea says:

Oh my gosh. I am making this. Stat. Thank you, thank you!!!

16. Elisabetta says:

Katie we need you on instagram!!

1. C.E. says:

I second that! 🙂

1. You are wearing me down… I promise to start an instagram before February of next year. Hopefully this month. 🙂

1. Claire says:

Oh no! I don’t mean to wear you out! I know you’re busy with your cookbook (Super excited for that too!). God bless you Katie! Thanks for all that you do and always replying! 😀

1. No no, in a good way. As in, “why don’t I have this already?”

2. Claire says:

Oh! Okay! I’m glad there is no stress then! I totally understand having so much to do and not really having time for little things like instagram. Lol! :]

17. Jessica says:

Hmm… I LOVE me some gingerbread. The only problem is, I’ve been trying to drop a couple of pounds. This time of year KILLS me as I have an incredibly large sweet tooth. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this recipe of a healthy version… I will certainly make use of this! (Minus the raisins though! 😉 I’m off to grab my carrots and my juicer!

18. ace says:

Now I want carrot cake. 😐

19. Lu says:

I just read your recipe and I’d love to make this gingerbread! I’ve been looking for such a “dark and moist” gingerbread for a loooong time! The problem is I am french so I don’t understand everything well….
    Is “flaxmeal” some kind of flour made of flaxseed? I know flaxseed meal but I think I’ve never seen flaxmeal anywhere.
    What is “allspice”? A special mix of spices for gingerbread? (We can find something called “4 épices (4 spices)” in France).

Many thanks for your answers! 🙂

1. Hannah says:

Hi Lu,

Flaxmeal is flaxseed (also known as linseed) ground down into a powder (I like to use a coffee grinder for mine!)
      Allspice is a spice in its own right, coming from one plant. I think it is what is known as le piment de la Jamique in France.

Hope this helps! 😀

1. Lu says:

Many thanks!
        I’ll test this ASAP!

2. Lu says:

I’m sorry to disturb again, but I’m searching for equivalences on the internet…for flour, they say 1 cup = 140g, you say 120g, should I put 120g as you say? 🙂
        And as concerns milk, can you help me? They say 160ml but I’m not so sure ^^ If you could tell me in grams or ml?

Many many thanks!

1. It depends on if it’s packed or not packed… I wish everyone used food scales, as it would make things a whole lot easier. So yes, 120g. Always go with the gram measurements if they are included. Same with the milk. Go with the grams listed.

3. I_Fortuna says:

Normally flaxseed meal is found in the same aisle as flour often on the top shelf in a box. It can be used as an egg or oil replacement. I am not sure of the substitute measurements, however. Hubby sprinkles it on PB sandwiches, it can go on salads, cereals, breads, cakes, smoothies, just about anything. Flax has omegs 3’s so I buy several boxes and put them in the freezer. The meal itself does not freeze and is usable right out of the freezer. Freezer storage keeps it fresh.

20. Looks too good to be true! Thanks for the recipe!