Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies

Yes, chocolate chip quinoa cookies!

Secret Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies:

When I was 5 years old, I earned the nickname Cookie Monster from my grandfather, after he caught me repeatedly sneaking chocolate chip cookies from the dining room table.

I wasn’t tall enough to actually see the table…

But that doesn’t mean I didn’t know what was up there!

Quinoa Cookies

Fast forward 20+ years.

Although I am older (and taller!) now… I still have a certain turquoise-blue reputation to uphold. 😉

Quinoa Cookies

Bring on the quinoa chocolate chip cookies! These chocolate chip quinoa cookies are a fun and creative change of pace if you’re used to white-flour chocolate chip cookies. Try them if you feel adventurous – they are absolutely delicious!

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1/2 cup minus 1 tbsp quinoa flour (52g)
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 packed tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar (22g)
  • 2 tbsp white sugar or xylitol (20g)
  • 2-4 tbsp chocolate chips, optional
  • up to 2 tbsp milk of choice, as needed
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp vegetable or coconut oil (15g)
Yield: 6 to 8 quinoa cookies

Quinoa Cookies Recipe: (Makes 6-8 quinoa cookies, so feel free to double the recipe!) Preheat oven to 310 F, and lightly grease a cookie tray. In a mixing bowl, stir together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients (starting with 1 tbsp milk of choice). Pour wet into dry to form a dough, then add the extra milk of choice if needed. If dough becomes a little too gooey, just freeze 20 minutes or until firm enough to shape into balls. Shape balls, then flatten if a flat cookie is desired. (I did not flatten the ones in the photos.) Bake 8-9 minutes in the middle rack. (As it states on my Recipe Troubleshooting page, you should always bake in the middle rack with my recipes, unless otherwise stated.) The cookies should look undercooked when you take them out, which is completely okay: they will continue cooking as they cool. Don’t try to remove them from the tray for another 15-20 minutes.

*View Quinoa Cookies Nutrition Facts*

Chocolate Chip Quinoa Cookies

Questions of the Day:

Did you watch Sesame Street as a kid? And did you have a favorite character?

Given our shared love of chocolate-chip cookies and the color blue, it should come as no surprise that Cookie Monster was my favorite. (Still is!) I also secretly liked Oscar the Grouch because I believed him to be misunderstood. The poor guy probably just needed a cookie…

breakfast pizza

Healthy Breakfast Pizza

Tags: , , , ,

1. Definitely watched Sesame Street and my favorite character was The Count! May explain the brief goth phase I had in my early 20’s …

1. EVA says:

Is it weird how I get satisfaction betting against myself that you’re going to be the first commentor on each new recipe? Thank thee for giving me a game to play.

1. Lol, I suddenly feel like I am an evil villain.

2. EVA says:

Well, I’m forever and always a goth, so I guess I’M the villain?! Or I guess at least I’m supposed to be.

How villain-y of you to steal it from me.

2. High five from a fellow cookie monster! I love how soft and chewy these little puffs of chocolate heaven look.

3. Sesame Street was a big part of my pre-K years…Bert & Ernie were my favorites, I thought they were hilarious!

The cookies look delicious, time to start searching for quinoa flour…

4. becauseHeloves! says:

Awesome! I love quinoa and chocolate, so combining them into a cookie would be so cool! I just got done making coconut chocolate chip cookies :)

5. These look divine! Do they taste like most other baked goods where you use quinoa flour though?

Oscar the Grouch is my favourite Sesame Street character, he’s just so adorably grumpy! 😀 x

1. Also, in Norway we had our own Norwegian verion of Sesame Street called “Sesam Stasjon” (Sesame Station :P), and it had two main human characters and three (later four) puppets 😀 Loved it! Oh, and they would also add the little sketches with the Cookie Monster and some other counting games as well :) Good times!

2. I’ve never actually baked with quinoa flour before this, so I can’t really say.

6. I think I watched Sesame Street, but not at an age where I really remember too much about it. Nowadays Elmo is probably my favorite but I have no idea which I liked best as a kid!

7. My mom wouldn’t let my sister and I watch Sesame Street when we were little—she later said it was “too manic.” Somehow Woody Allen and Mel Brooks movies were okay though.

8. Marci says:

These cookies look delicious. Definitely trying them.
    I bake often with gluten free flour and have learned to shake down the flour to the desired measure – I know this is the complete opposite of baking with regular flour. Do you shake down your gluten free flours or measure the usual way ie avoiding shaking down. Thanks!

1. I don’t really know what you mean by “shaking down” but I measure them as any other flour… Also I highly recommend a food scale for most accurate measuring of any flour in general. Takes the guesswork out!

9. Yay!!! A chocolate chip quinoa cookie! I’ve been on the search for one for so long !!! 😀 Can’t wait to try these 😀

10. Kristen says:

Hi Katie! I love your recipes! I just want to confirm that this one bakes at 310, and not 350 (or 300). I bought a lot of quinoa flour recently and will make good use of it with these cookies. Thanks!

11. Belle says:

Too funny!

I liked Grover but I think Snuffeluffagus was my absolute favorite! He never got enough screen time for my satisfaction.

I’m going to have to give these cookies a try- they look yummy and healthy!

12. Tonya says:

What would happen if you use while quinoa?

1. Tonya says:

*whole quinoa

2. Ilana says:

You can make quinoa flour out of whole quinoa…. Google can probably tell you how :)

13. Ahh, Katie (or should I say Cookie Monster?!)! You have officially made me super excited to run out to the store (in this NYC snow) and buy some quinoa flour! These look too yummy. Now the real question is… can you do the cookie monster voice? 😉

1. Haha I have never tried!
      P.S. If you ever make a trip up to DC, definitely let me know!

14. These look deliciously dense and amazing! I’ll definitely be making these this week. Yum!

15. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love dessert recipes that are small servings, so there are only a few leftovers in the house. And of course that it is already GF (and not something I need to sub in GF stuff for) is great!

16. Livi says:

these look awesome! I can’t wait to try some!

17. EVA says:

HOLY MOSES look at those chips! I’m totally making these but I have a question about the quinoa: do you think tri-color quinoa would work? Specifically Trader Joe’s brand, if you need further investigation. It has white and red quinoa, and I know red quinoa is nuttier and firmer in texture than white.

Also I LOVED Sesame Street. I was actually watching it every morning before school well into my freshman year of high school haha….one is never too old to learn. I always liked Telly, with his bi-gender hamster Chucky Sue. Just how sad and crazy he looked always made me want to take him home as a pet. And sadly I’m talking about Telly, but Chucky Sue would’ve gotten along great with my hamster.

1. Sorry, I haven’t tried it and therefore can’t know

18. These cookies look so delicious! I love working with Quinoa flour – and these cookies look so fun and tasty.

19. Heidi Lynn says:

Cookie monster all the way!

Does anyone make quinoa flour in a vita mix? Just thought of that, but unsure because of needing to rinse quinoa before cooking.

1. Michelle says:

Hi! I’ve never made my own, but your question made me curious so I looked it up. Most homemade quinoa flour recipes recommend toasting the quinoa before grinding it into a flour. So, basically you can rinse it, pat it dry or let it air dry, then toast it in the oven for ten minutes (which would get rid of any excess moisture), and then grind it in a coffee grinder or food processor. It sounds like a Vitamix would work as well, although I couldn’t find a recipe that calls for one specifically. All of the recipes I did find for making quinoa flour were very similar, but here’s an example:

Hope that helps :)

1. Cait says:

I tried this “homemade” quinoa flour as described above with a food processor. The consistency of the flour turned out fine, but still slightly gritty. The cookies turned out great!

2. Nikki Englerth says:

Yes , I make quinoa flour all of the time in my Vita Mix and it turns out perfect.

20. We didn’t really watch Sesame Street growing up. The first time I ever saw it was while I was sitting with my dad in the waiting room of an auto repair shop. Haha. I was much more interested in Barney or Dragon Tales :) I’m not sure I could pick my favorite Sesame Street character if I tried! Cookie Monster is pretty awesome (have you seen the adorable Pinterest cookie monster cupcakes? Oh my goodness those things are cute!). Well, we did have a Tickle Me Elmo when I was younger… So I’ll go with Elmo! :) Now that I say that though… Why did we have an Elmo if we never watched the show? 😆 Haha.

21. Sahar Massoudian says:

Hi Katie! Do you think I could substitute dates or stevia for the sugar? I figure stevia would be easier in terms of compensating for texture. Thanks!

1. I can’t say, as I have not tried it

22. Amy says:

Just made these! Add a little sea salt on top and you are really in business!

1. Thank you so much for baking them! I think you were the first :).

23. Erin says:

Would spelt flour work the same? I don’t have quinoa flour.

24. Anya says:

Katie, do you think millet flour would work here as well? Do you have any cookies recipe using millet? Thanks!

1. Sorry, I have never actually baked with millet flour

25. I just bought a huge bag of quinoa flakes and was thinking to whip up a recipe with them…I’m assuming if I add them to a cookie recipe I can just blend them until fine and substitute for regular quinoa flour, right?

1. According to what it says from a google search, the consensus seems to be YES.

26. From a fellow Cookie Monster, these look incredible! I’ve thought about experimenting with quinoa in cookies, and yours look awesome! Love the big chocolate chips, too. Your photographs are beautiful, by the way! :)

27. The Zen Kat says:

Yum! I’ve never baked with quinoa flour- time to start though!

28. Never used quinoa in a sweet item successfully before. I’m curious for sure, but also trepidatious. They look good. I just might have to try these out I’m so curious.

29. Steph says:

Loved sesame street- my fav was always big bird- he was just so big and fluffy and I liked his striped legs :) Cookie monster was awesome too! Didn’t they try and make him veggie monster once? Worst. Idea. Ever.
    The cookies look awesome, I love that you included quinoa- delish!

30. Lauren says:

Quinoa in cookies..I’m intrigued. :)
    Sounds like a fun weekend dessert to try!

31. I never really liked Sesame Street, I always felt that the learning stuff was too slow and repetitive. Apparently I was the kid that shocked all the teachers by actually answering questions at all, let alone correctly, in the two year old class at my morning preschool! I always liked Winnie the Pooh though, and Eeyore was surprisingly cheerful considering how often his tail came off and his house fell down, so I liked him a lot.

And I like these cookies, they look like cookie dough balls, so I can feel sneaky while eating them! 😉

32. Susie says:

My 3 boys devoured them. Awesome recipe!

33. Quinoa is an ancient grain that can almost fit any type of meal!

1. And yes, I am calling a whole batch of cookies a meal!

34. Maria says:

I just made these last night. I can’t do white/refined sugar, so I only used coconut sugar and Xylitol. I added unsweetened “cocoa” powder to make them more chocolatey. They came out great! Although the quinoa flavor was a bit on the strong side. You think it would be possible to make these with almond/coconut flour?

35. Jeannie says:

Realized that I don’t believe I’ve ever really commenting, despite frequenting your blog for the past couple years…wanted to let you know that I made these as well, and they turned out delicious! Very strange yellow color, but I believe that was the fault of my quinoa of choice – going to go for a chocolate&chocolate version next, like some of your other readers have already done! Thank you for always coming up with such creative recipes.

1. Charu says:

I just made these and they turned out so well!! Love this recipe..I have been thinking of ways to make quinoa taste good. This is the healthiest cookie ever! One question.. can i replace white sugar with anything else for sweetness? How about dates/ fat free maple syrup?

36. Tzevai says:

These look great.! I’m rubbish at making normal cookies but I think even I might be able to get these to turn out ok. Hah! I’m trying to cut my wheat intake down too so these are perfect!

37. Jan Hub says:

These cookies look amazing and I am sure cookie monster would love to eat them as well! I was wondering though if I could make them with this health bar I recently discovered,this gluten-free energy bar is made by Nouri, a company which implements social entrepreneurship and gives one meal for one child for every product they sell. I really want to support their cause and I was wondering if I would be able to use them to make guilt-free and gluten-free cookies.

38. Nazarati says:

I’m that odd one who decided to make them with actual COOKED quinoa – we had some leftover, and my husband was requesting a hearty cookie for the morning (he’s a Baha’i and currently in his month of fasting) but without nuts, which he’s slightly allergic to. They actually turned out great and oddly enough have a peanut taste to them, which with the chocolate chips makes them even yummier! I used 3/4 cup of cooked quinoa instead of 1/2 cup quinoa flour, and because the dough was way too runny to make them into cookies, I added chick pea flour until it thickened enough to roll into balls. The cooked quinoa gives is a slight mini-crunch which is quite delicious.

39. Benjamin Hargrave says:

Duh, Elmo.. Hehe.

40. Rach says:

I love this recipe! I think this might be one of my favourites. I was just wondering though whether I could use erythritol instead of xylitol? Do you think xylitol is a better alternative to sugar? Is it healthier than erythritol?

41. Rob says:

I just made these and they are delicious! I made my own quinoa flour. (Toast quinoa on a skillet for a few minutes then put in a food processor until powdered.) The flour was a little grainy thus the cookies were crunchy (AWESOME!) I let them cool for a few minutes but couldn’t resist and ate them while they were still gooey.

42. Melody says:

Thanks for the awesome recipe, I just made these..

However, I doubled the recipe and used a mix of quinoa flour, coconut flour and corn flour, used coconut sugar, panela sugar and raw sugar, used butter instead of coconut oil (roughly same about… A little bit extra!) and pure vanilla powder rather than extract… Also used coconut chocolate and almond milk, and they came out beautifully!

They’re very very soft and chewy, so thanks again for the recipe!

P.s… I hate Sesame Street :(

43. Jessica says:

I used Bob’s Red Mill organic quinoa flour and can tast the bitterness of the quinoa. It’s not bad but I’m wondering if I’ve used the wrong flour or if I can do something to mask the bitterness of the quinoa flour.

1. Lauren says:

Use lots of chocolate chips and sprinkle with sea salt!

44. Lauren says:

These cookies are delicious! Thank you for the recipe. I sprinkled the tops with sea salt, which was a really nice touch. I was pleasantly surprised at how little you can taste the quinoa.

45. jacklyn says:

hi Katie, first off, LOVE your recipes, I think I post one everyday to fb!

Second, for this recipe, do you use cooked quinoa and then a bit of quinoa flour? Or is it all quinoa flour? If I don’t have quinoa flour what can I use instead? cooked quinoa?

46. Aparna B. says:

Loooove the sound of this recipe. Stumbled upon your blog from another blogger I follow who had nothing but incredibly nice things to say about your blog. Now I can see why!

I do have one question regarding this recipe: Is the quinoa measurement cooked quinoa or dry?

Thank you!