Homemade Blueberry Muffin Cake Bread

The recipe has a light texture somewhere between a muffin and a cake... and there's very little oil or sugar needed - from @choccoveredkt... It's decadent enough for dessert yet healthy enough for breakfast. http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/04/27/homemade-blueberry-muffin-cake-bread/

With a light texture somewhere between a cake and a muffin…

Whole grain, and with very little oil or sugar, this blueberry cake bread is decadent enough for dessert yet healthy enough for breakfast.  Eat it plain, or try topping it with your favorite nut butter, Earth Balance, or Coconut Butter.

blueberry bread

Blueberry Muffin Bread

Inspired by: Healthy Blueberry Muffins

• 2 cups spelt, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf flour (250g)
  • 1/2 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon, optional
  • If using gf flour, add 1 tsp guar gum
  • 1/2 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (100g)
  • pinch stevia or 2 extra tbsp sugar
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 tbsp white or apple cider vinegar (15g)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil (30g)
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries (200g)

Preheat the oven to 350 F, and grease a 9×5 loaf pan. In a large measuring bowl, stir together the first 7 ingredients (plus guar gum, if using). In a separate measuring bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients except the blueberries. Pour wet into dry, stir until just evenly combined, then add the blueberries and VERY gently stir them in only until evenly mixed. Do not over-stir, as this would break the blueberries and you’d end up with purple bread. Pour into the loaf pan and bake 45 minutes on the middle rack. Do not open the door, but turn off the oven and let the bread sit inside the oven for another 30 minutes. For troubleshooting with this (or any) recipe, see my Recipe FAQ page at the top of the blog. Makes 10 big, fat slices.

Click the following link for: Blueberry Muffin Bread Nutrition Facts & Calories

Blueberry Muffin Bread

Question of the Day:

Are you a fan of blueberries?

Normally when I buy a container of fresh blueberries, they are gone within a day… or maybe within an hour. They never even make it into a recipe!

banana pudding

Link of the Day: Banana Pudding Recipe

1. Katie :D says:

This looks so great!! I cant wait to make it!!! (will it work with frozen blueberries?) And YES i looooovvvvveee blueberries! i have eaten the whole carton every time! I just wish that they were not so expensive out of season.

1. Kayleigh says:

I’m going to try this tonight with frozen blueberries so I’ll let you know!

2. Jessica says:

It looks like someone else has successfully used frozen blueberries, but you might want to reduce the amount of liquid you use in the dough (the milk in this case) and/or take the blueberries out of the fridge to defrost for awhile first and then drain as much of the liquid as possible. Frozen blueberries tend to be a little wetter than fresh blueberries and can make your dough too liquidy.

1. Katie :D says:

oh just saw your comments, thank you both for telling me 😀

2. I’m a HUGE fan of blueberries and spelt flour! I love the ingredient list and of course, who doesn’t love a cross between a muffin and a cake. Need to make this VERY soon; perhaps for Mother’s Day brunch. 😉

3. Am says:

Awesome!!! I have always loved blueberry muffins — even before I liked blueberries :) Now I like frozen blueberries, for sure, and sometimes enjoy them fresh (the texture can be a little weird, for me). I look forward to making this recipe, thank you!

4. Alanna says:

I didn’t used to, but I’ve grown to really like blueberries! Although I need to be careful because they can stain my teeth when I eat a pint in one sitting and don’t brush/floss right away, lol. This cake/bread sounds great — bookmarking for the next time I get blueberries!

5. Yum, this looks delish…and so easy!!! Can’t wait to try…

6. EVA says:

I was craving an easy breakfast bread recipe, and this might just be the one I’m looking for!

I’m not the biggest fan of blueberries straight-up, honestly. They’re delicious in blueberry muffins, but I think they taste very bland solo. I feel the same way about rasp and blackberries too. Now strawberries on the other hand….

1. EVA says:

OH also, if anyone tries this GF without the guar gum, I’d like to know if it’d still work. Don’t have enough $$$ to fork out for said gum.

1. Hi,
        I’m not sure if I’m going to try this without gum, but I think that if you use one or two flax eggs that might work. I’ve also made muffins without gum by just replacing 1/2 or 1/4 of the flour with ground flax seeds, so if you don’t mind the taste of that, it might work, too.

7. Blueberry muffins in a bread – love this idea! So simple!

8. Abby says:

Ohh! Sound delicious! I was wondering, what’s the difference between spelt flour and wheat flour? Is there any flavor difference?
    Thanks!

9. I love blueberries and this seems like such a great recipe!

10. Ana @ HealthyNationalDesserts says:

I just have to say that lately your recipes look more delicious than ever (if that’s even possible). I love blueberries, especially in desserts, so I’m definitely making this as soon as I find the time.

11. Shonalika says:

Mmm these look wonderful! My partner was nagging me to make a cake and I said; “Why? Is it someone’s birthday?” I’m such an old killjoy. XD

This looks like it would be the perfect compromise though. Haven’t had a blueberry muffin for AGES, and this bread looks mouth-wateringly delicious:)

12. Karen Pierce says:

I had all the ingredients so I decided your email this morning was a sign I absolutely had to make it. Just pulled it out of the oven a few minutes ago and it is fantastic!
    Thanks for another great recipe. I love your blog!

13. Omg, this looks amazing!

14. Kayla says:

This looks delicious! I love blueberry anythings, and this just seems full of that flavor.

15. Daphne says:

Just made this and it is wonderful!! Pinning to my Pinterest board so I can find it easy when I want to make it again.

1. Daphne says:

Oh, and I used frozen blueberries. :)

16. AnnaBananaBelle says:

Oh my gosh this looks incredible! I have to make this very soon! I think i will try this with frozen blueberries as not many fresh ones are available yet. I can’t wait!

17. Emilylovesraisins says:

Wow I think i might’ve died there for a sec. I just can’t deal; this looks WAY too delicious!
    I LOVE BLUEBERRIES! they might be my favorite fruit even, which is interesting since I used to hate them when I was little. I dunno, i was a weird child (i didn’t like PB or coconut or mushrooms or cheesecake either…. :/ )

18. Steph says:

I think my favourite type of muffin would be a huge, warm blueberry muffin.. closely followed by a nutty, crumbly, apple cinnamon- but nothing seems to beat blueberries!

19. Charmaine says:

Okay seriously I MUST try this! Looks sooooo good!
    thanks for sharing this!

please check out my blog as well: https://lulusandtiffanyblues.wordpress.com/
    xoxoxo

20. Michelle says:

Katie
    This was so good.. I used coconut sugar and sub 1/2 oil with Applesauce… It was approved by my 6 yo