How to Cook Millet

Do you know how to cook millet?

Millet

By now, pretty much everyone has heard about (and is most likely tired of hearing about) quinoa’s superpowers and how to cook quinoa. With all of the hype surrounding quinoa, millet often gets overlooked, which is unfortunate because this ancient seed is highly nutritious (providing copper, magnesium, fiber, iron, and B vitamins) and yields a super fluffy and creamy result when cooked.

Millet Breakfast

Look for millet in the bulk section of Whole Foods or a health food store. It can also often be found in regular grocery stores, packaged by companies like Bob’s Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills. (If nothing else, you can order millet online.)

How to cook millet

If you like quinoa—or even if you don’t—chances are high you will like millet just as much… or more!

How to Cook Millet

(makes 2 servings – Feel free to omit the sweetener for a savory millet)

• 1/2 cup dry millet (80g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1 cup water or more milk of choice (240g)
  • 2 tbsp sugar of choice or xylitol (22g)
  • pinch stevia, or 2 more tbsp sugar of choice
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • optional: raisins, fruit, mini chocolate chips

How to cook millet: In a medium pot, combine the first six ingredients (if using raisins, add them as well), and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on “low” for 20 minutes. Then turn off the heat but leave covered another 20 minutes. Stir. Millet should be thick and fluffy now. If it’s still a bit liquidy, cook uncovered until desired texture is reached. Turn off heat and stir in vanilla extract. If desired, stir in chocolate chips or fruit of choice. Can be eaten hot or cold.

Click for: Breakfast Bowl Millet Calories and Nutrition Facts

Millet Breakfast

Question of the Day:

This question actually has nothing to do with how to cook millet… I’m attending a potluck this coming weekend and would love suggestions of what dessert to bring. So the question of the day is:

Do you have any go-to desserts you think would be good for a potluck?

healthy twinkies

Link of the Day: Homemade and Healthy Twinkies—with a healthy cream filling.

Tags: , , ,

1. Kara says:

Millet?!? You are a genius! How about a brownie pizza with fruit on top for the potluck? Also Katie – you are such an inspiration to me as a beginner blogger and vegan! :)

1. Thanks, Kara! I will be sure to check out your blog as well :)

2. I’ve never had millet but always wanted to try it.

3. I’ve never tried millet, and I think I’m definitely going to have to. This looks delicious! (Plus, I totally get what you mean about being soooo over quinoa. I love it, but I hate hearing about its nutritional benefits a million times a day 😛 ) I love your blog, and your photography is really inspirational to me as a new vegan blogger!

4. Oh man, another yummy super-grain! Trying to get away from oats, so maybe I’ll have to give millet a go for breakfast. I’ve used it in granola bars, but never warm like this. Thanks for sharing!

5. I’ve never actually tried millet, but I’m definitely going to look for it now. It looks great! I also love the pink breakfast bowl!

6. Sara K. says:

For potlucks, I usually like to bring desserts too. I always look at my recipes for fancy desserts (cakes, trifles, pies), but rarely do I make them. My favorite thing to bring are old favorites like cookies, brownies, etc. Most people want something easy to grab and eat. They also like finding something familiar on the table.

Another idea would be some kind of candy like fudge or truffles.

7. Mmmm millet, so tasty! Whenever I don’t cook it with much ingredients though, I find it to taste a little iron-y (must remember to add more milk!), but chocolate millet porridge is wonderful, and your version looks soo good too!
    I actually made millet before I started quinoa-ing (that’s totally a verb right there…), because it’s a lot less expensive, and so versatile 😀
    As for what to briiiiiiing, how about chocolate covered fruits and berries? Perfect for nibbling! Or some of your fancy cupcakes :) I’m sure it’ll be a treat, pot-lucks are so much fun! x

8. Sherry says:

Whenever I need a potluck dessert, i immediately go to you site/recipes!! I find a perfect one each time — never the same one, though. I’ll be trying out this millet recipe soon! Thanks for all the great ideas!!

9. millet? i’ve never made that before! breakfast bowl looks good! my go-to desserts are some type of trifle, cream cheese brownies, or gooey butter cake. all crowd pleasers!

10. Cheryl says:

Millet is something I’ve always wanted to try. Think it’d work as a substitute in an overnight cold oatmeal recipe? Or your fabulous voluminous oats recipe?

11. I am always looking for new breakfast options and this looks amazing! I love oats and anything containing oats, but sometimes it’s nice to take a break :) Thanks for the great idea!

12. Mmm, beautiful 😀 I love millet. As celiac, I have it often, as porridge or as a side instead of rice, or in salad… Anybody who hasn’t tried it yet should try this recipe, it’s totally worth the experiment!
    Go-to dessert for a potluck? I used to make quark (curds) with honey and mixed fresh fruits, topped with chocolate shavings. That can be done with soy yoghurt as well, I guess, maybe a mix of soy yoghurt and vegan cream cheese.
    Have fun with your potluck :)

13. Ellen says:

Perfect!! I just bought millet yesterday and planned to try it for breakfast. Had leftovers this morning instead, and now I don’t have to figure millet breakfast out for myself tomorrow! Thank you! :-)

14. Christine says:

Love millet! My go-to dessert – which is ALWAYS loved by all – is your chocolate pie!! :)

15. Haha, don’t you have like 7 go-to desserts on your dessert blog? I love the cookie pie, myself.

16. sheire says:

You should make a recipe out of semolina!! Love that stuff and it’s way easier to find and cheaper to buy than millet :)

17. Bianca says:

I love millet, but I always forget about it. I’ve never had it sweet, but I’ll have to try!

18. Jessica says:

You can never go wrong with a fruit crisp…seasonal fruit, topped with a crumb topping…you don’t even really need a recipe!

19. Audrey says:

I just got some millet from Whole Foods the other day, and have yet to try it. Now I know what I’m making. 😀 I love your photography by the way; it looks beautiful!

As for the potluck, I would suggest finger foods (cookies, cupcake/muffins, etc)

20. Tammela says:

I like millet a lot, and sometimes make it as a “carb” side for dinner instead of rice or couscous. Haven’t tried it as a breakfast porridge but now I will!