Instant Cereal

Instant Porridge - one bowl, high in protein, and NO cooking required! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/07/24/instant-cereal-recipe/

Have you ever broken a bone?

During my years as a hard-core runner, I tripped and slammed into the concrete on multiple occasions… There’s even a permanent scar on my left hip as a reminder of one such fall.

Yet I never suffered a single broken bone in that time; not even so much as a stress fracture. But one misstep this past Monday afternoon, and suddenly I find myself staring at an arm the width of a tree trunk and a hand the color of a ripened grape.

Suddenly I find myself wide awake in a sleepless night of pain, wondering how late the 7-11 is open and if I have enough energy to go buy a bottle of Tylenol, a drug I never use but would have downed in a second had it been available.

Suddenly I find myself at Urgent Care on Tuesday morning, a giant floppy hat covering my sleep-deprived eyes and uncombed hair, listening as the doctor throws around words such as buckle fracture and cast.

coconut flour oatmeal

I never realized how much I’d been taking my arms for granted.

Simple things like typing, cooking, or even getting dressed are astronomically more difficult when you’re doing them one-handed. Today’s no-cook instant cereal breakfast with only 3 ingredients and minimal cleanup is definitely welcome at such a time! The creamy texture very much reminds me of Cream of Wheat… except that this breakfast is much higher in fiber and protein.

In fact… there are over 15 grams of fiber in one bowl!

Similar Recipes: Over 100 recipes for healthy desserts that make enough to serve just one person.

coconut flour cereal

“One Bowl” Instant Porridge

(single serving)

• 6 tbsp coconut flour (40g)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp milk of choice (270g)
  • just over 1/16 tsp salt
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • fruit, peanut butter, chocolate chips, or add-ins of choice

Instant Cereal Recipe: Stir together all ingredients in a bowl. It may seem very thin at first, but keep stirring until the coconut flour absorbs the liquid and it thickens. Add more milk if a thinner porridge is preferred. Feel free to top with pure maple syrup or any other ingredients you would add to oatmeal or cream of wheat. Eat cold, or heat if desired.

Click for: Instant Cereal Calories & Nutrition Facts

coconut flour cereal

Question of the Day:

Have you ever broken a bone or needed to wear a cast?

There was a time in my life when I really wanted a cast. I broke my finger when I was 9 and actually cried in the doctor’s office when he said it didn’t need to be casted. (Embarrassing…) Since it’s just a partial fracture this time, I’m not certain my wrist will need a cast. But I will push for no cast if at all possible. In other news, the very first Theme Week starts next!

Any guesses as to what the first theme week will be?

—> Here’s a hint! <—

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. I remember thinking it would be so cool to have a cast when I was a kid (It never happened though.) So sorry about your arm! As a runner I’ve also tripped quite a few times and had some pretty bad injuries. My best friend was even hit by a car while running last week! Thankfully she’s okay!

2. Audrey says:

Oh no! Sorry to hear about your arm :(. I personally have never broken any bones, but I did sprain my ankle once and had to wear a boot (a sort-of ankle cast) for a few months.
    As for the first theme week, my guess would be fudge week? Or maybe Nutella week, or quick and easy week… I’m not very good at guessing! 😉

3. Hollie says:

Sorry to hear about your arm Katie. Last year I was hit by a cyclist and they knocked me against the concrete causing a broken bone. It sounds pretty similar. It’s pretty fast healing and I hope it is for you as well.

4. no broken bones but lots of fractures and hip surgery = crutches on the hilliest college campus in america for 2 weeks. Lets just say it built character lol.

5. D says:

Katie, I hope you heal quickly!

I cannot wait to try this recipe, it looks so easy and delicious. I’ve always wanted to try cream of wheat but the ingredients didn’t appeal to me.

6. Emily says:

I am so sorry that you broke your arm! That is awful. 🙁 I hope it heals quickly!

7. Amy says:

KATIE!!!!! Or someone else who has insight on this topic, I have been trying to embrace coconut flour. Every time is use it, in multiple different ways, it tastes awful. I have two different brands, one of which is Bob’s Red Mill, WHAT am I doing wrong? P.S. I just go back to a gf mix similar to Pamela’s for my gf flour needs. I want to try this but the awful taste of coconut flour is flooding my sensory memory right now. P.S.S. I LOVE ALL YOUR RECIPES!

1. Sarah says:

I don’t know if this would work for the porridge but when I make recipes that call for coconut flour I just grind up dried coconut flakes super fine. It’s much less expensive that way too. I imagine how fresh (and maybe ripe) the coconut is would affect the taste.

1. Audrey says:

I don’t know if you are aware of (or care about) the fact, but store-bought coconut flour is actually not the same as ground up dried coconut; store-bought coconut flour is partially defatted. I’m not sure if this would affect recipes / taste or not, but just thought you might like to know. 🙂

2. Janet says:

Or try almond flour. Grind almond in a coffee bean grinder when I need them. Love the nutty taste – almonds are good for us!

3. Am says:

I have had a hard time embracing coconut flour in baking recipes, like cookies. I didn’t like the flavor or texture, and my baking with it would haunt me. But I have found that I don’t mind the flavor or texture at all in the the Purely Twins very simple recipe for coconut pancakes (2 eggs, 2 T coconut flour). I think if I apply that ratio when I bake with it, that it will taste better. I’ve also read that because coconut flour absorbs so much liquid it is a good idea to use eggs with it when baking… Of course, I just realized this is not vegan. I’m sorry, if you were looking for vegan help! Good luck!

4. sherri says:

I’ve never thought that coconut flour would make for cereal. Might try this. I am, however, going to attempt to make the Ice Cream ‘Dove’ bars today…I’m so excited…
      It’ll be the first time I’ve attempted to make ‘ice cream’ out of cashews…fingers crossed that it works. Katie…your pics always look SO enticing – hope I have the same outcome!

Katie: Sending you some healing energy:))
      Posting your blog was probably hard to do too! That must suck

8. Oh yes, I have broken a bone. When I was going in to fourth grade, i fractured my left forearm (on the 4th of July too!) Then later that year, after I had gotten my cast off, i REbroke the same left forearm! I actually had to get surgery the second time because something didn’t heal right. I still have the scars since they used dissolvable stitches…
    On the other hand, i made this porridge for breakfast today! The flavor was GREAT but i wasn’t a fan of the texture… which didn’t surprise me since I have never been a fan of coconut flour. Oh well! I’ll be praying for you and your arm 🙂

9. Alex says:

Thanks for sharingy your heart.
    I have been inspired to share my journey with huntingtons Disease.

10. S says:

I always wondered what it was like to break something too, but it’s one of those things I’d be happier not knowing. I broke my knee, femur, a couple of toes and a finger all at once after getting hit by a car. Well, WHILE getting hit by a car… 😉

If the pain makes it difficult to sleep try putting a pillow or two under your arm to elevate it. You can also try rhythmic breathing exercises since in my experience the pain tends to throb with your pulse and focusing on something else is a good distraction at least.

You’ve given me a lot of good recipes so I hope this advice returns the favor. Best of luck.

11. beth says:

I just broke three bones in my heel last Wednesday. I’m now on crutches and in a cast for 2 months. It’s so hard…

1. Janet says:

Couldn’t handle crutches so got a “knee wheeler”; much easier to get around and not fear falling again.

1. Beth says:

I’ve heard of those, but not sure how I would use it since I live on the top floor of an apartment building. Would I just leave it in my car or could I lug it up the stairs? Thanks so much for your reply Janet

1. Janet says:

The handle folds down so it fits in a trunk or back seat of the car. It’s light enough for me to pick up – and I’m a senior.

12. JN says:

Sorry to hear about your arm and despite that you gave us (once again) an easy, delicious recipe. I have been trying so hard to put coconut flour to use but have not found many recipes. Will try this for sure tomo morning as I am not a fan of oatmeal but a big fan of cream of wheat which I don’t have anymore, due to gluten.
    Hope your arm heals up fast. Thank you.

13. Madiantin says:

I’m so sorry about your arm! I hope you get a majorly cool cast. Never broken a bone myself, but I have chronic ITBS which has brought me down from 8hours running to 30 minutes, so I feel like my whole being is broken, dangit.

14. Jen says:

Sorry to hear about your arm!! I hope it heals as quickly as possible! I will definitely be giving this recipe a go 🙂 I’m always at a loss for how to use all of the coconut flour in my house (I bought it pre-vegan when I was still consuming eggs), so this looks perfect! The theme week: chocolate? 😛

15. Ella says:

I broke my arm falling off my horse when I was 9 and the break was so high up (almost at my shoulder) that a cast wouldn’t do anything. Instead, they put my arm in a wool-lined immobilizer (wrapped around my torso, secured my lower arm to my chest, and had a diagonal strap like a seat belt). IT WAS TERRIBLE. Summer came soon after it broke and on the hottest of days I was stuck in a wool contraption wrapped around my body. I almost feel like a cast would have been better! On top of that, I wasn’t allowed to ride for 12 weeks. Hope you heal up fast <3
    I haven't ever been a fan of coconut flour, but maybe I'll give it one last chance with this recipe 🙂

16. Karen says:

I broke my right elbow last fall while out biking. I even managed to bike home (5 miles). At the ripe old age of 46, it was the first bone I had ever broken. I learned to do a lot of things left handed (putting in my contacts, plucking my eyebrows, wrapping my just washed hair in a towel…try THAT sometime…and keyboarding). My feet also came in handy (haha) at times. I was VERY frustrated in the kitchen however. Stirring was also difficult as the bowl wouldn’t stay still. Chopping veggies…well you can imagine! I will never take having my right arm available for granted ever again!!

1. bee says:

I find one-handed mixing and chopping difficult too! Thankfully I have two hands to use most of the time. There’s a range of helpful kitchen items designed for one-armed use. You may want to look into those if you’re planning on keeping up your normal cooking routine, Katie. Things like suction cup mixing bowls, chopping boards with spikes on them, and rocker knives.

17. Oh, so sorry to hear about your arm 🙁 Get better quickly! You sure need some quick and easy fixes right now.
    I’ve partially broken my right arm when I was 9 and had just started a sports vacation for kids, second day and it was over for me. And I didn’t even get a cast which people could sign! Yes, of course I wanted a cast, too, as a kid 😉 Who didn’t!
    Which theme … hm. Nutella? I’d sure like that!
    Take care.

18. Hannah Elizabeth says:

Oh, I’m so sorry, Katie! I am one of those people so clumsy that everyone (including me) wonders why I haven’t broken more bones! My first “broken bone” was a chip off of my finger joint received from swinging some kids around in a tire swing (my finger got caught in the chain). Even though it wasn’t as bad of a break as you might expect, it didn’t lessen the pain or inconvenience. My other broken bone was from falling off a scooter going down a steep hill, and I can totally sympathize with you!! Showers were especially difficult, and I eventually got quite adept at making my food with one arm…using the Vitamix without a helper definitely took awhile! And the muscle atrophy drove me crazy! Totally feeling your pain, and hoping you get well soon!! If I could, I would send you all the yummy chocolate-y treats I could think of to help you endure the pain and frustration. Hugs!

19. Stephanie says:

Im so sorry to hear about your injuries:( I had to wear a boot cast in 5th grade from fracturing it by jumping up and down and it landed the wrong way. Pretty lame I know hahahha:) Anyways, crazy question but I was just wondering is there any substitutes to the coconut flour? Thank you Katie (ps LOVE your recipes) xo

1. Sorry, I haven’t actually tried anything else so you’ll have to experiment 🙂

2. bee says:

Coconut flour and cocoa powder are usually interchangeable in recipes, but I’m not sure eating 6 Tbs of cocoa powder would be good (or a good idea)! If it’s not an allergy, and you’re just worried about flavour, you could try subbing 2 Tbs for cocoa to make it chocolatey =).