Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

The Cookie Dough Protein Shake

low-calorie + 19-20 grams of protein in a single serving. Full recipe here:

Liquid cookie dough.

These are the only words to properly describe the taste and texture of this thick cookie dough protein shake – it’s like drinking cookie dough through a straw.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Protein Shake:

Welcome to… Cookie Dough Week!

Every single recipe posted on the site this week will revolve around chocolate chip cookie dough. Since a few of the recipes might be a little more advanced, I wanted to start the week off with something quick and easy. Readers often request more recipes with protein powder, so it’s been added to the protein shake today. (If you’re not a fan of protein powder, I do also have a recipe for a protein-powder-free Chocolate Chip Cookie Milkshake, published many years ago on the blog.)

My kitchen has been a fun place these past few days; I’ve worked on recipes for everything from cookie dough cupcakes to cookie dough crème brulee to cookie dough candy bars. Hope you are as excited as I am for cookie dough week!!

A low-calorie shake you can make for breakfast or dessert that packs an impressive 19-20 grams of protein into a single serving! Full recipe here:

Cookie Dough Protein Shake

• 1 cup milk of choice (240g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda (this is for flavor)
  • just over 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder (I used Vega) (24g)
  • sweetener of choice (such as 1 tbsp sugar or 10 NuNaturals vanilla stevia drops – more if using an unsweetened protein powder)
  • 6 drops maple extract (for flavor – can be omitted)
  • raw oats and chocolate chips for garnish, if desired

Blend all ingredients except garnishes together until smooth. Garnish as desired. Thickness will depend on your brand of protein powder. For a thicker protein shake, I like to freeze the 1 cup of milk ahead of time in an ice cube tray, then use the frozen milk as the milk of choice in the recipe– it adds thickness and a chilled ice-cream-like quality to the protein shake.

—-> Protein Shake Calories and Nutrition Facts <—-

Cookie Dough Mug Cake:

Link of the Day: Single Serving Cookie Dough Mug Cake – can be made in less than 5 minutes

You know… in case you want some food to go with your protein shake. 😉

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. leah says:

oh my gosh this looks so good i would eat this i would eat this for every meal for the rest of my life

2. ericadhouse says:

Love Vega! That and Vegan Shakeology are my favorite protein powders. Well worth the price.

3. Iman says:

Oh my god I’m making this immediately! Looks like heaven in a cup :)

4. Wow, this is great! I’ve always been annoyed that cookie dough ice cream and shakes consist of vanilla with chunks of cookie dough, as opposed to cookie dough flavoured ice cream/shake!

I’m so glad you are sharing this, and that it’s cookie dough week! Theme weeks are the best especially when they’re nutella or cookie dough!

5. I feel so lucky that I bought a bag of chocolate chips at the store this week! Definitely excited about this, cookie dough is one of my favorite things. This looks so good. Can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store!!!

6. Alanna says:

No banana? Hard to imagine this gets very thick with just protein powder and milk, but it sounds yummy!

7. Whoa, cookie dough creme brulee sounds amazing.
    I’m confused about this recipe, though – where is the cookie dough taste? It’s milk, vanilla protein powder, sugar, and salt. That – minus the sugar – sounds like a typical protein shake. Maple flavoring would make it taste like maple syrup, not like cookie dough.

1. Allie says:

Just try it – it works! The baking soda contributes to the flavor, too, and the maple flavor adds the kind of flavor that you’d get from brown sugar! It’s really good.

8. Suzanne says:

Chocolate chip cookie dough week… yayyyyy!!!!! Love the theme weeks!

9. Abby says:

Hi Katie! This looks wonderful! You’ve officially come up with a way to make protein shakes interesting! Yippie! :)

This is totally unrelated, but I was wondering if you had any ideas/suggestions for a nutella birthday cake?? I know that nutella week was LAST week, but my sweet 16 is coming up in a few weeks and I LOVE nutella!! I made your other nutella recipes from last week and they were SO GOOD! I am so tempted to try to attempt a nutella cake, but I have no idea where to start.

Love your brilliant recipes! They have kept me alive this past year! Thank you so much! 😀

10. Never made my shake so thick – great idea, also to add the baking powder! My protein powder already is very sweet, so I’ll either omit the sweetener or maybe add a tad of maple syrup (no such flavouring available in Germany as far as I know).
    Thanks for a nice idea for a different after-run shake :)
    Cookie dough week sounds like a good plan.

11. Kristi says:

Must. Make.

Thanks for the recipe! Also, I think your “Cookie Dough Week” may be the most magical week ever :)

12. Ella says:

Looks wonderful Katie! If anyone knows of a non-chalky vegan protein powder, I’d love to hear about it (Hated vega, sadly). Thanks!

13. Andrea says:

OH MY GOSH THIS IS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!! I was seriously hoping for cookie dough week 😀 you just became my favorite person ever

14. I am so excited for this week on your blog! I love cookie dough, so this sounds amazing.

15. Bianca says:

YUM! I’m always looking for new ideas for protein powder shakes since I drink them 3-4 days a week for breakfast. I’m pinning this!

16. belladonna45 says:

I don’t see any chocolate or chocolate chips IN the shake, only for the garnish. What makes it taste like chocolate chip cookie dough?

1. Sara says:

It says it is a “cookie dough protein shake” not “chocolate chip cookie dough protein shake”

17. Oh this looks yummy! I love everything cookie dough… as a matter of fact I just published a post about breakfast cookie dough! This theme week is gonna be AWESOME 😀

18. Sara says:

Thanks! I just bought vega protein powder last week and had no idea what to do with it!

19. I have never drank a protein shake in my life but I think that even I could be convinced, it looks yummy.

20. A healthy shake that includes chocolate chips? I’m down. :)

21. Amanda says:

Katie you are a genius!!! I just made this and I don’t know how, but it really DOES taste like drinking cookie dough! :) :)

22. Oh man, yay cookie dough! That’s the best part about being vegan, maybe — the ability to eat raw cookie dough without worrying about the eggs. Yum! This looks like breakfast tomorrow.

23. J&J'smom says:

Love this recipe. I use Plantfusion as that is my favorite protein powder. I had an unopened bottle of maple extract just waiting to be used. I added spinach for the nutrients. Perfecto! Keep up the amazing work you do. Love your blog.

24. Rachel says:

This is perfect timing! I just bought vanilla protein powder this weekend to force myself to branch out to flavors other than chocolate and have been trying to find ideas for post-workout smoothies other than just adding the powder to iced coffee or running it through a blender with frozen strawberries.

25. Emily J. says:

I’m so excited for this weeks recipes!!! Is there any substitution for the protein powder?

1. See the paragraph under the second photo. I didn’t forget you guys! :)

1. Emily J. says:

Thank you so much, Katie!

26. I was curious to see what you’d put into this glass of goodness! It looks fantastic 😀
    Might try if for breakfast at some point during the week 😀 x

27. Susan says:

I’m always on the lookout for new smoothie recipes, and this one is intriguing. I’m kind of surprised that you didn’t put any raw oats into the smoothie. I’m definitely adding it to my list of recipes to try, and because my husband loves chocolate chip cookies I’m sure he’ll enjoy it.

For those who aren’t vegan, the protein powder I use all the time is Designer Whey – only in the flavors that are sweetened with Stevia (or the unflavored). It has never tasted chalky at all, and does not have a weird texture, either.

28. Emily says:

I heart you, CCKatie.

I don’t have maple extract… I’m wondering if I can use pure maple syrup in the place of sweetener and maple extract??? Let me know what you think and if I try it in the meantime I’ll comment on how it went.

29. Ellen says:

Cookie dough week?!?! Best week ever!!!

30. Aja says:

Oh my this sounds amazing! I wish I had vanilla protein powder but all I have is peanut butter marshmallow and a little bit of cake batter. Vanilla is the next flavor I’m gonna buy. :)

31. Gaby says:

Uh chocolate chip cookie week?! Yes. Just yes. I love you.

32. Oh my gosh, cookie dough week. I’m so ready for this!

33. Joe Garofalo says:

To have a healthy shake that includes chocolate chips, awesome snack it is! I do love cookies. Thanks for posting must a try! Really a heaven to me.

34. You said liquid cookie dough and I was sold. Literally the first three words :) This looks AMAZING!

35. EVA says:

Cookie dough candy bars….let’s do that!

36. keetCh* says:

So I used a scoop of Warrior Blend Vanilla Raw for the protein power and instead of sugar or stevia I used a TBSP of COOKIE BUTTER SYRUP (sugar-free…has Splenda but whatever)…didn’t need the Maple extract drops because of the cookie butter flavor

…THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY AMAZING and I have made it twice now. Today I added 5 ice cubes because I found it a little strong…could also add extra almond milk to water it down a bit.

Thanks Katie!! :)

1. Cookie butter syrup, in itself, sounds amazing! :)

37. Love this! BTW – Vega French Vanilla is my absolute favorite protein/nutritional powder. I love oats in a smoothie – gotta get that texture!

38. Allie says:

And this liquid cookie is good for me? It needs to get in my mouth right now!

39. Thanks Katie! Protein shakes always give a nice pick-me-up during the day especially when you add healthy ingredients vs. unhealthy which will leave you with a drop-me-down.

40. COOKIE DOUGH WEEK??!! I am so excited for the recipes, cookie dough is definitely my favorite thing ever!! And this shake looks perfect for my breakfast tomorrow!

41. Steph says:

Oh my goodness, this looks too good to be true (good theme for the week by the way) how does it get so thick though? I’ll just have to make it and see! I’ll suffer through it :)

42. Catie Leigh says:

Hi Katie!
    I want to start by saying that I am a HUGE fan of all of your recipes, and sucessfully converted my family to faithful black bean brownie devotees thanks to your recipe. :) Reading your recipes and blog post has always made my day better. Okay, now for the weird part- I happened to be in DC earlier this evening to meet a friend for dinner. I was walking to the Trader Joe’s to change out of my hideous red T-hirt and khakis that I have to wear for my job when I see a farmiliar face walking up to the Trader Joe’s door… IT WAS YOUR GORGEOUS SELF!! I totally started freaking out and texting my friend (also a huge fan). I debated walking up to you and asking for a picture, but I totally chickened out. My hands were literally shaking. It was rediculous.
    Keep being awesome :) <3

1. Made my morning.
      You definitely should’ve come over! That’s so awesome you saw me!

43. This cookie dough protein shake looks like absolute perfection! I need to get my hands on some Vega protein powder! I am very excited for Cookie Dough week 😀 Pinned!

44. I make shakes all the time…but never think to add protein powder! Can you explain how the baking soda is added for “flavour??!!!” I’ve never heard of that before 😉

1. Not sure how to explain. Try it both ways and see :)

1. Hmm…now you really have me intrigued! I just might do so 😉

45. Matea says:

Yum! Can’t wait for the cookie dough creme brulee!

46. Allie says:

I just tried this, and it was AMAZING, as in I’m pretty sure I consumed it in under a minute. Thank you for bringing this into my life.

47. Abigail says:

Hi Katie, I think this will be my favorite week! I love cookie dough!
    I was flipping through some of my recipes and I saw two that I remember thinking: Hmmm, I can work with this. They were recipes for cookie dough cereal and cookie dough stuffed pretzels. Thought I would mention them because I would love to see what you could do with them!

48. Patty says:

Oh my goodness SO GOOD! I’m freezing some almond milk RIGHT NOW so I can make a thicker shake!

49. Mikki says:

WOW!! That looks amazingly delicious! Can’t wait to try this!!

50. Susan says:

I asked my husband if he would be interested in this shake – he said yes, so I’ve been on a search for real maple extract. Tried our regular grocery store and the Sprouts store that is way on the other side of town, but ended up having to order it online. See what I’ll do to make your recipes?

51. Susan says:

Tried this for breakfast this morning, and it’s a lot of fun. I had to mail order the maple extract (I refuse to use the artificial stuff), and it came yesterday, which was very quickly. I’m glad of that because I hated to have to wait to make this. I don’t have an eye dropper so I used the ‘pinch’ size measuring spoon I have, and that seemed to be just about right. This is definitely a keeper recipe for us.

52. brightidea says:

Wow!! What a shake. Looking so beautiful. Really i want to eat it.

53. Victor says:

wowowowowowowow. That was …. incredible. Thank you, Katie, for letting us try your awesome ideas. When I was eating this for breakfast, I had this crazy stupid grin thinking how I’m seriously eating the most delicious breakfast in Beijing right now!! Thanks so much!!

1. Victor says:

Oh, I was eating is because I put half aside as a drink and I used the other half as the “milk” in some peanut butter granola! OMG it was the perfect match for peanut butter granola. And the shake really tasted like cookie dough. I couldn’t believe it. So good.

54. Taylor says:

this milkshake sounds and looks delicious! One time my friend and I were baking pre-made cookie dough, and most of the dough didn’t make it to the cookie sheet…haha 😉
    I have a question about protein you recommend casein or whey protein powder? There’s a big controversy about which is actually healthier, but which do you use? Or should I get both?
    Thanks, and just wanna say your blog is spectacular! I adore your cute, healthy recipes! 😀

1. Taylor says:

Oh, oops..:P I’m soo sorry I just realized you wouldn’t know about the protein powders as you are vegan. My mistake.
      Well, I still have to say, even though I’m not vegan or even vegetarian, I love your blog, and am considering buying your book :)

55. Erin Doherty Johnston says:

Oh my…. Im drinking this right now. I used 1/4 c of Advocare Vanilla Protein Powder and one tbsp of natural maple syrup in place of both the flavoring and the sweetener. I tasted it like that and it was VERY yummy. I wanted to bulk it up a bit before the gym, so added some raw oats, a banana and some raw spinach. Somehow it went from tasting like cookie dough to super creamy egg nog. Either way, WIN!!!

56. Danielle says:

I was so intrigued when I read this recipe, especially cause it had no chocolate in it! I didn’t have any maple so I just used brown sugar as my sweetener. It turned out pretty good, but I guess I was just craving that missing chocolate. So, I threw in an 1/8 tsp of cocoa powder and re-blended it. BOOM. Chocolate chip cookie dough. This is happiness in a glass! Thanks for the great recipe! :)

57. Lenore says:

Oh my, this is delicious!!! I’m loving every sip of it! I did add a half of a banana to thicken mine a bit more. Yum!

58. amy says:

Tried it. Tastes great. I added banana and oats but the baking powder and maple are key!!

59. ChrisD says:

OMG this sounds absolutely amazing! I cannot wait to get home and try this-finally a reason to purposefully buy vanilla protein powder! Thanks so much for this recipe. :)