Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cupcakes

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Stuffed Cupcakes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/06/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-stuffed-cupcakes/

Maybe I was a strange child…

Whenever a classmate brought cupcakes to school for his or her birthday, I’d devour the frosting but leave the actual cupcake, proclaiming it to be “boring.”

Too bad no one ever brought in a batch of these cookie dough cupcakes. You think they are ordinary vanilla cupcakes until you take a bite. Suddenly it’s no longer a cupcake you’re eating, it’s unbaked chocolate chip cookie dough!

cookie dough cupcakes

I was generous with the cookie dough in these cupcakes – there’s not just a tiny amount. They are completely STUFFED with cookie dough!

And the process is much easier than it may seem. As proof: I made the entire recipe with one hand. (Or maybe I’m just getting better at navigating my broken arm.) In any case, I’ve included some of the unedited in-process photos below:

IMG_0702

IMG_0705

vegan cookie dough cupcakes

On to the recipe!!

Cookie Dough Cupcakes: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/06/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-stuffed-cupcakes/

Cookie Dough Stuffed Cupcakes

For the Cupcakes (adapted from my Gluten Free Cupcakes)

• 1 1/2 cups flour (white, spelt, or Bob’s gf) (180g)
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup xylitol or sugar of choice (180g)
  • only if using Bob’s gf, add 1/2 tsp xantham gum
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise, Mindful Mayo, or homemade cashew mayo) (120g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup plus 2 tbsp water (190g)

Preheat your oven to 350F. Place 12-14 liners inside a cupcake pan. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients and stir well. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients and whisk until the mayo spread is completely smooth. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir until just evenly combined.  Immediately divide among the liners (these cupcakes rise a lot), and bake 20 minutes or until cupcakes have domed and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the oven and let sit at least 20 minutes before trying to peel away the liners.

For the Cookie Dough (adapted from my Chickpea Cookie Pie, and if a sugar-free version is preferred, you can use my Sugar-Free Cookie Dough Dip instead.)

• 1 can white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (250g total, once drained)
  • 1/2 cup quick oats (40g)
  • 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce (30g)
  • 1 1/2 tbsp oil (or peanut butter) (20g)
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar or xylitol (135g)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips (120g)

Blend everything except the chocolate chips very well in a good food processor. Stir in the chocolate chips. (Some commenters have had success with a blender, but I did not. Try that at your own risk, and know the results will be better in a high-quality food processor such as a Cuisinart.) Cut out the center of each cupcake with a knife or spoon, fill the holes with cookie dough, then place the cut-out portion back on top. Frost with more cookie dough OR your favorite frosting OR any of my Healthy Frosting Recipes.

—–> View Cookie Dough Cupcake Nutrition Information <—–

tagalongs fg

Link of the Day: Healthy Girl Scout Cookie Peanut Butter Tagalongs – no flour required!

1. D says:

Wow Katie! These look delicious!

For the mayonnaise, could it be replaced with something other than homemade cashew mayo? Or would it work to follow another of your cupcake recipes and still put in the cookie dough filling?

1. You can definitely use ANY vanilla cupcake recipe. Or even a chocolate one!

I was very close to trying the recipe with my blueberry muffin recipe as the base, just not adding the blueberries. So you could always try that! http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/08/12/healthy-blueberry-muffins/

2. You are not alone in your love of frosting over cupcakes! To this day I will still sometimes eat the frosting off of a slice of cake and leave the rest :) These look delicious…and that cookie dough in the center is genius. Thanks for sharing!

3. Iman says:

Omg delicious! One of my best friends loves to bake so I’ll have to give her this recipe and ask her to make it for me! :)

4. EVA says:

I was actually the complete opposite….I HATED the frosting and would scrape it off! I’d always request a piece of cake with the giant frosting flower just because it was so cool, but I’d gag trying to choke down even one petal of the flower. I’m better about frosting now than I used to be, but I still prefer my cakes either straight-up or lightly glazed.

5. What a fancy idea! Never thought of filling a cupcake with cookie dough. Another one on my to-try list :)

6. Amy says:

Katie, I love your recipes and have filed several them away. I was wondering if there was a way you could incorporate a printer-friendly button, just for the recipe portion of each post. That way, I can easily save it as a pdf or print it out if I am ready to make the time that week. Right now, I have to cut and paste recipes into Word documents. Not the end of the world, but the printer-friendly button would be so much easier.

I can’t tell you how many friends I’ve introduced to your blog, and they all rave about it. Thanks for all that you do to make some of my bad habits a little less bad!

1. Hi Amy,

There are many things I would like to update about the website, and I’m still researching for that perfect wordpress-savvy designer or design team to hire, as I don’t trust myself with everything nor do I want to hire just anyone.

BUT until I get the print option sorted out, you can simply highlight the text you wish to print and press the print key right next to the shift button on your keyboard :)

1. Hmmm… well it’s next to the shift key on my pc anyway. The button should look like a rectangle with what looks like a piece of paper coming out of the top. (An alternative is to highlight the text you want and press control c, then open a word document and press control v.)

2. Amy says:

It looks like it’s between the ALT and CTRL keys on my laptop’s keyboard.

I’m not a programmer, so I had no idea that the printer-friendly button entailed so much work. The copying and pasting (I like to have electronic versions, too, not just the printed ones – all the easier to forward to friends who ask for the recipe) certainly works in the meantime!

7. ericadhouse says:

LOVE this! It’s nearly lunch time and my mouth is watering just at the thought.

8. Looks delicious! I swear, my kitchen is going to be filled with cookie dough for an entire week. Pinned!

9. Teresa says:

Katie, your photography is lovely! And I am very impressed that you stuffed those cupcakes literally single-handedly! 😉

10. Oooh, these look fantastic! I must say, the more frosting one can get into or onto a cupcake, the better!

11. Oatmeal_Odyssey says:

Funny, I always preferred the cake to the frosting… I guess it seemed a bit too sweet! These look amazing!

12. hilary says:

Hi Katie, I’m wondering why you put baking soda and baking powder in the cookie dough if you’re not baking it? It doesn’t taste very nice and I’m not sure it does anything for the raw dough mixture does it? By the way I really love your recipes and think you look fantastic on them!x

1. Hi Hilary,
      Good catch on the baking powder. That was copied when I’d written down the recipe from the cookie pie, but I did not actually add it to the raw dough here (although it wouldn’t hurt you if you did). But the baking soda gives an almost-salty snap to the recipe and should be included. :)

13. Priscilla says:

Do you think i would use something else than beans or chickpeas? I am allergic to those both… Thanks!

14. Jessica says:

My niece is an icing eater…unless it’s a donut she doesn’t like cake. But she’s weird. She doesn’t like chocolate!

15. Makayla says:

Can you PLEASE do an Avocado Week??! That would make me very happy! :)

1. Ciarra says:

She has a few tasty looking avocado recipes posted if you’re looking for one to make. But I agree, an avocado week would be amazing!

16. Steph says:

Love this idea- an awesome surprise for the devourer! :)

17. Naoko says:

I have never been a cupcake person. I’ve never liked icing either… Am I strange?
    But I’m tempted to give cupcakes another chance seeing your beautiful recipes! And these ones filled with cookie dough? Yes please!

18. i love anything and everything cookie dough related!!

19. I’ve read this post like three times because these pictures are to die for! Love the recipe and I love seeing creative vegan recipes like this!

20. Ella says:

These look AMAZING! I am loving cookie dough week BTW! Could you give a link to the cashew mayo? Wasn’t able to find it… Thanks! :)

21. Frena Fillmore says:

I always just ate the frosting too 😛 I also did that with cake, and I even loved that sickly store-bought frosting. The best ice cream I ever had was one that tasted just like frosting :)
    I can’t wait to try these! They look so good. Of course, they wouldn’t look half as good when I make them. ;P But who cares, right?
    Frena

22. Teresa says:

How well do these cupcakes keep? I want to make some for a party, but can I make them the day before or should I make them on the day of the actual party?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can make the day before!

23. M says:

Katie, I logged on to your website today and noticed that there are sponsored ads for Tyson chicken strips. I understand the need to advertise, but advertising factory farmed chicken on a vegan healthy dessert blog seems sort of off. Do you have control over those ads? I’m not trying to be insensitive, just wanted to let you know!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

She has said before that she doesn’t get to control what ads go up. Hey, if a chicken company wants to advertise on a vegan blog, great! Wasting their money they would spend somewhere else!

24. This look amazing. This is a great dessert recipe for parties and gatherings. I am having a link party for back to school ideas, and I would love if you shared your link to this recipe on the link party. Who ever visits my site will get linked back to yours. Here is the link if you are interested. No pressure, this just looks too good to pass up. haha.
    Cheers!
    Cecelia

25. Jessica says:

When my brother was younger and had a piece of cake for dessert, he would lick/eat all the frosting off the top of the cake, and then say, “More cake please!” :)

26. Katherine says:

These cupcakes are the chocolate chip cookie dough version of Inception. I think I prefer the food version of Inception over the movie! Way less confusing, way more edible. :)

27. Thank you for the wonderful recipe Katie.
    I followed it step by step and the results were unbelievable. Never have i made a desert that has tasted this good. Apart from the frosting i couldn’t get over the actual cookie dough that i managed to create. Learnt something new and tasty to make.

28. Beth says:

You’re right! Being honest, that frosting loving child is still in me. All I do now is take off the bottom of the cupcake and sandwich it on top! Possibly the best thing to do. Thank you for this amazing recipe my dear!!! x

29. Freddy Falck says:

The cookie dough looks spectacular. Although I am more a fan of frosting than cookie dough, this is one dough that I am ready to lick right off the bowl. The flavorful chocolate chips act as the perfect accomplice to the vanilla frosting.

30. Matea says:

I’m a cookie-dough lover, salmonella or no salmonella–I’ll take the risk once in a while! But this is healthy, no-egg cookie dough….so basically I can eat more, risk-free and guilt-free!

31. Kim says:

Did anyone else’s cookie dough turn out a little runny? i tried adding some extra oats to absorb some of the moisture. I rinsed and drained the beans well, so I am not sure what the problem could be?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Mine came out thick, so I’m not sure I can help, but have you looked through Katie’s Recipe FAQ page at the top of her blog for troubleshooting? Also what food processor did you use, and what sweetener?

1. Kim says:

Thanks for the advice! I just used my trusty old cuisinart food processor and xylitol. Adding the oats seemed to help as well as letting it settle for a bit.

32. Chrissy says:

Are there chocolate chips that are dairy free? I thought there was milk in just about all of them.

1. Oh no, MANY are dairy free! :)
      I use only fair-trade (non-slave) chocolate, so my favorites are Enjoy Life brand and Fair Trade brand, both available at Whole Foods and some regular grocery stores. Ghirardelli, Guittard, Kroger natural, and even Costco brand are all vegan though!

33. These look great! I am building a community of vegans and would love for you to hop over to wedigfood.com and leave a recipe.