Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

“3 Minute” High Protein Granola Bars

High protein granola bars – they can be oil-free, flourless, + no high fructose corn syrup!

Easy healthy NO BAKE granola bars - from @choccoveredkt - made with only wholesome ingredients, & kid-friendly.

These granola bars could be your new favorite recipe.

In less time than it takes to read this post, you can have a batch of your own delicious and homemade protein granola bars fully prepared and ready to eat. Feel free to change up the flavor to match your mood.

Chocolate, vanilla, chai, caramel, cookies’n cream…

YOU get to choose the flavor!

3 Minute No Bake Protein Bars:

Only a few ingredients are needed, all of which can be found in regular grocery stores – and you can avoid the unhealthy processed filler ingredients and isolated soy protein so often added to packaged protein bars.

These granola bars need no refrigeration and can be packed into a lunchbox for a healthy snack.

Leftovers are best stored in the freezer, where they will keep for months!

3 Minute Protein Granola Bars

Inspired by: Peanut Butter Homemade Protein Bars

Print This Recipe No ratings yet.

• 1 1/2 cups quick or rolled oats (120g)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (or Sunbutter for nut-free)
  • 1/2 cup raw agave or honey
  • 2/3 cup protein powder - have fun with different flavors (70g)
  • handful mini chocolate chips, optional
Total Time: 3m
Yield: 10-12 bars

Stir all ingredients together until well-mixed. Transfer the mixture to a 9×14 pan lined with parchment or wax paper. (For thicker bars than the ones shown, you can use an 8×8 pan.) Place another sheet of parchment or wax over the top and continue to smush down and spread until it fills the bottom of the pan. Freeze until hard, then cut into bars. For optimum freshness, store leftover bars in the freezer for up to a month.

View Granola Bars Nutrition Facts

Link Of The Day:

eatmore bars

Healthy Eatmore Fudge Bars – From Christal @ Nutritionist In The Kitch

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

1. ericadhouse says:

I think I’ll try these with the vegan chocolate shakeology I just got!

1. Lilli says:

I love shakeology! I wish you could cook with it, but i think the nutrients are damaged when you heat it:(. Glad this is no bake!

1. Jennifer says:

Just made them with Vega protein powder and they were delicious!

Thanks Katie!

1. Kerstin Decker says:

where does one get vega protein or what am I looking for? thanks for the info

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

You can use any protein. But vega can be found at whole foods or at

2. I love how quick these are! 3 minute is my kind of recipe!

3. I love it when fast and easy recipes are super delicious. I have been trying to find alternatives to packaged, processed bars!

4. Alana says:

I can’t wait to make these!!!! I’ve been looking for a decent, high protein, nut-free, and clean recipe for bars for ages!! Thx for this post!

5. These look great for workouts! I know you freeze them before cutting, but after that can they be stored at room temp, or should they stay in the fridge?

1. Jennifer says:

It says in the recipe directions.

1. Not really… I was asking about storage when you intend to eat them within a few days or a week, not a month. For that, it’s not worth storing them in the freezer.

1. Marni says:

Leah–I make a similar version to this and I just store in the refrigerator–it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week–but they never seem to last that long 🙂

6. Amy says:

Ooo ooo ooo I have all the ingredients for these… I’m going to make some tonight!!

7. Denise says:

I have a question, as I think I may be out of the loop some, what amount of protein is considered high?? As in, how many grams per meal? In my opinion, anything with 15, or even 20 is considered high. 8… not much, really. I’m genuinely curious. I’ve taken a Nutrition course, as well as been a competitive physique athlete, but haven’t really read up on much of what’s going on out there in today’s Nutrition world. Thanks in advance for anyone who can answer this for me! :o)

1. Μaria G. says:

The RDA for protein is 10% of calories or 0.8 g. per kilo bodyweight. So whether it is a lot of protein or not depends on how much you need. Read more about it here:

1. Roxy says:

Yes, but that is the RDA, which isn’t end all, or be all, as you have stated there. In fact, time and time again, the most trusted recommendation has been at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. At least in the U.S.

1. Kate B says:

Do you mean per kg?

1. Marni says:

I would say half your body weight in grams of protein every day.

2. Liz says:

Eight grams is pretty high for a forty gram bar. More than an egg, and people say eggs are a good source of protein.

1. Roxy says:

No, 8 grams is not high for a 40 gram bar. In fact, this bar would be considered unbalanced for a high protein bar, and considered more an energy bar. High protein for most is something like 15 grams (per meal/serving), as Denise has stated before. Perhaps 8 is high for Vegans, or Vegetarians, or maybe even those who follow a more carb/fat to protein ratio, like 70/20/10 ratio (carbs/protein/fat, respectively). Barely muscle building. More energy, than muscle building. Let’s take a Quest bar to lead by example what would be considered “high” protein: 60 gram bar, 160 kCal, Total fat 5g, Total Carb 25g (17g fiber), Protein 20g. That is high protein for a bar that is 20 grams more than this bar recipe here.

Yes, eggs are a GREAT source of protein… if you eat about as much as you would, say, a 3oz to 4oz piece of fish, meat, or poultry (could be more, depending on protein source, all fish vary). In that instance, you would then consume approximately 3 to 4 large eggs (5 to 6 egg whites (large)) to obtain the same amount of protein.

Despite what people like Dr Oz, and the like, state, human bodies need more protein than they think, especially if they live a more sedentary lifestyle. Many do not eat accordingly, as we all know (look at the obesity epidemic) and the Food Pyramid was part to blame, over the years, which they’ve since updated. Take your protein how you need to, but it is essential for the body in more ways than you can imagine. One thing that has been stated a great deal is “amino acids are the building blocks of life”. Amino acids are found in protein. Of course, balance is key, as always and everyone is different, but what most people try to consume in protein isn’t always enough. So keep that in mind when figuring out your macros for your well being.

Denise, I hope I was able to clear something up for you. If you’re looking for a high protein bar recipe, many can be found if you Google. I think this site is primarily more for vegans and vegetarians. I personally like the recipes, as I have a sweet tooth from time to time and prefer a more natural and healthier option in that department. Good luck!

1. Liz says:

You state that a Quest bar has “20 grams more than this bar recipe here” but you forget that the quest bar is also 1.5 times the size! So gram for gram, what you said it not actually true.

Also not actually true is that humans need more protein than they currently get. I urge you to do more research on this subject. Currently many Americans get TOO MUCH protein, and it’s a possible reason we have the highest instance of osteoporosis as a nation even though we are also the nation that eats the most dairy. Too much protein leeches calcium from the bones. Please do more research on the subject.

Also, not that it matters, but I’m not vegan or vegetarian 😉

1. anonymous says:

I’m not a vegan either, but I LOVE this site!

2. Roxy says:

I don’t know where you got your information, but I’d be curious to see your site.

I don’t know how Americans are getting too much protein, when they mostly eat sugars and highly processed junky carbs and processed fats, if this is the case. Perhaps red meat… I don’t equate red meat as all the protein. I heard Americans are consuming too much red meat, but not protein, but I would be curious to see the studies you’re citing this from. Thanks.

3. Roxy says:

Also, regarding Quest bars… that’s what I was referring to, when I stated “20 grams more”… not 20 grams more protein (as it only as 20 grams of protein in the bar, so, if math done correctly it would be 12 grams more). I was referring to it being 20 grams larger.

4. Roxy says:

Are you referring to the drivel cited in this article??

Read the comments section, in fact, just read the article. This article is completely contradictory in more ways than one. Although I do agree there is such a thing as too much protein (too much of anything isn’t good and Americans eat just too damn much in general, more so sugar and bad fat than anything else), this study is a complete farce. If you’d like, I can ask a PHD his opinion… one that consumes “too much protein”. Perhaps he has further studies to cite where it debunks this ridiculous debacle. Here’s the thing with the cancer causing bs: GMO, chemicals and highly processed food items. There it is. GMO foods alone cause cancer in the long term. Independent studies have proven this time and time again.

If you care to continue this circus of a debate, I’d be delighted to.

I’d like to further recite the bs from the past: fat makes you fat… today, senior citizens do not consume enough fat, thereby causing ill effects like Alzheimer and dementia. In fact, there is a study on low-fat diets for the cardiovascular system on monkeys… turns out, little fat consumption made them nutty after awhile. Now they’re saying fat is great for the cardiovascular system, as well as the nervous system, and rightfully so.

Next time you tell someone something you believe to be true (and not by the media, but actual study), please cite a study in which you state your claims. Thanks.

5. Liz says:

I was not referring to one specific article, as I prefer to do extensive research on a subject before forming an opinion, not blindly believe one article. And I would also prefer to trust reputable sources more than comment sections of articles where anyone can say anything. I would not put much stock into the comment section of that article. I should also point out that you did not initially source an article to back up your claims either, so chiding me for not doing so is uncalled for.

There is a lot of research to back up what I wrote above, both from vegetarian-centered sources and non, so here is just one article that explains it well, from the huffington post:

However, I do not wish to continue this debate with you, as I think by now it would be more adult of us to agree to disagree I’m moving on now and won’t reply further.

3. anonymous says:

FYI I calculated them with whey protein and they have 12g per bar.

8. Melanie says:

Hi Katie! Thank you for the recipe- I’ve been looking for an easy, no-bake bar! Question: isthe honey/agave syrup merely for sweetness, or is it necessary for texture? I’m not very ‘food literate’ and my husband and I eat very simply. We don’t have honey at home right now, so I was wondering if I could make them with just pb and oats (and raisins)… Thanks so much! Love your blog!

1. Lilli says:

I’m no expert at all, but they probably wouldn’t hold together the same way and you would need to play with measurements. Maybe a little less oats or a little more peanut butter. Or you could make a date paste!

1. Melanie says:

Thanks, Lilli! Maybe I’ll give it a go and see what happens…. 🙂

1. Liz says:

Yup, maple syrup is thinner than agave.

9. I like the fact that these don’t require heating the nut butter and syrup/honey. Excellent idea to make them this way!

10. Alanna says:

Ooh, these sound perfect! I hate buying protein bars because they’re so expensive and the often don’t taste very good. A lot of times they have palm oil, too. 🙁 Any reason to avoid maple syrup as the sweetener? I can’t see why it wouldn’t work but wasn’t sure if there was a reason only agave or honey were listed.

1. Alanna says:

*they often, not the often (oops!)

2. Anna says:

I think it’s because maple syrup is not as sticky as honey or agave, so it might not hold together as well? I’m sure you can still use it, but it might fall apart

1. Alanna says:

Hmm, maybe… I’ve never used agave so I’m not sure how it compares to the other sweeteners. Thanks!

11. Linda @ Fit Fed and Happy says:

Any protein powder at all? Even egg white protein? 🙂

1. Liz says:

You just need the powder for proper texture, I’m guessing, so sure why not?

12. Jennifer says:

These look great. Can’t wait to give them a go! x

13. Allison T says:

Looks great! I am always looking for high protein snacks. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

14. I cannot believe how easy it is to make these 😀 They look absolutely amazing 😀 Can’t go wrong with peanutbutter 😀 x

15. kristin says:

These look so super tasty!!! I’ve never made any at home before but this seems to be a fairly simple recipe. Thanks so much xo

16. Yum, these are so easy! Trader Joe’s just started stocking cashew butter (made my day).

17. Heather says:

Any reason you have to use the protein powder? I know your point is they are then high protein, but I’m looking for a kid snack, not a power bar. Do you need the powder?

1. Alanna says:

If you’d prefer a regular granola bar, try this one (also from CCK):
      She also has a similar recipe for crunchy bars (like the ones from Nature Valley):

18. Great recipe as always lately! I’ve been noticing you’ve been upping your protein (at least in your recipes) a lot lately! Any reasoning? Just something I have noticed =)

1. lana says:

probably just reader demand. i would assume that katie is well aware of the fact that the vast majority of americans get WAY TOO MUCH protein to begin with, and the LAST thing most people need is ADDED protein powder (dear god)!

2. I bought protein powder–something I don’t normally have on hand–for the cookie dough shake. Then had extra left over for the bars.

19. carmella says:

Hi Katie,

I love your food blog!!! Can you make these bars without protein powder. Thanks.

1. Μaria G. says:

I think you could use soy flour (such as Soy Supreme) instead of the protein powder – it still has a lot of protein, but all natural! Just make sure your soy flour is not bleached. And sinche natural soy flour does not have any flavorings, you would need to add your own. 🙂

2. Alanna says: