Homemade Clif Bars

Homemade Clif Bars

Homemade COPYCAT RECIPE Clif Bars: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/28/homemade-clif-bars/

Homemade Clif Bars…

With just 5 ingredients and NO soy protein isolate ♥

The stereotypical teenager is like a human energizer bunny, bouncing nonstop from activity to activity. And I was no different. My routine back then included a bike ride to school every morning, whatever activity we were required to do in gym, daily 2-hour soccer practices immediately following classes, then another bike ride back home. It’s no wonder teenagers sleep so much.

It’s also no wonder they require so much food!

Clif Bars: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/28/homemade-clif-bars/ Clif Bars Recipe: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/28/homemade-clif-bars/

Back in high school, I would go through boxes of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, bowls of spaghetti, containers of raisins, and packages of granola bars like it was my job. It’s as if I had made it my personal mission to make up for everyone doing the popular low-carb thing at the time.

If I saw a carb, I devoured it.

Each day, we were expected on the soccer field as soon as classes ended, with barely enough time in between to throw on our cleats. However, there was no way this particular energizer bunny could go from lunch until 6 PM without fuel…

Homemade Clif Bars http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/28/homemade-clif-bars/

And, thus, I discovered the magic of Clif Bars.

Unlike many of the other American snacks for purchase in Shanghai (where I lived at the time), Clif Bars were readily available and sold at prices comparable to what one would pay in America. Translation: I bought a lot! They were the perfect portable snack to throw into a backpack and rapidly inhale each afternoon as I changed into my workout gear.

Clif Bar Recipe http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/08/28/homemade-clif-bars/

When I made these homemade granola bars, their light-yet-crispy texture immediately reminded me of Clif Bars. I especially like using either peanut butter or almond butter in the homemade Clif Bars—it compliments the berries nicely.

Print This Recipe 5/5
5/51

Ingredients

• 3/4 cup quick oats or rolled oats (60g)
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1 cup freeze-dried raspberries or strawberries (28g)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter or nut butter of choice (Nut-Free: use Sunbutter) (80g)
  • 1/4 cup agave or honey (If sugar-free bars are preferred, try this sugar-free granola bar recipe (60g)
Yield: 6 Clif Bars

Instructions

Homemade Clif Bars Recipe: Line a pan with parchment or wax paper, and set aside. (Recipe fills a 7×5 pan, or you can double the recipe and use a larger pan.) In a blender or food processor (or patiently with a fork), process the freeze-dried berries until they are broken up into tiny pieces or powder. Stir all dry ingredients together in a cereal bowl, then stir in the nut butter. (If your nut butter is from the fridge, gently heat it until stir-able before mixing with the dry ingredients.) Add in the agave and mix until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to the prepared pan, and smush down evenly into the pan with a second sheet of parchment or wax paper. Freeze the pan at least one hour, then cut the bars with a sharp knife. Store at room temp or in the refrigerator for a few days, OR freeze for up to a month. Makes 6 bars the size of the ones in the photos.

—> *View Homemade Clif Bars Nutrition Facts* <---

Peanut Butter Mug Cake

Link of the Day: Single Serving “1 Minute” Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake in a Mug

Tags: , , , , , , ,

1. These look really good! I love the color from the berries!

2. Emily J. says:

These look Delicious, Katie! Was just thinking last week that it would be awesome if you made some clif bars! =)

3. Hollie says:

I eat a lot of power bars and cliff bars and I can really get expensive. These could be a great alternative for me. Thanks!

4. Sarah says:

Katie my dear, is there any way you can do a size comparison in your gorgeous photos? Every time you reference “the size of the ones in the photos” I want to scream because there’s no way to tell what size we are looking at with out a reference.

That being said, I love everything about you and your site. Keep up the awesome work.

1. Jenna says:

She lists the gram measurements in the nutrition facts link. You can look at the gram measurements of other bars for size comparison. For example a Clif bar is 68 grams.

1. Sarah says:

Thanks Jenna. I did notice that she lists the gram measurements, however, I am not as familiar with the metric system as I should be. That being said, my advice to provide visual reference in the photos was more of a suggestion since some people (like myself) are visual people and can’t actually grasp certain concepts with out seeing it first hand. Especially since I was a photography student in college, visual reference was always an important concept we would try to master.

5. Cathy says:

I have a lot of frozen cranberries. Do you have a way to freeze-dry them yourself? I have never done that and would like to try so I know they are pure berries. Thanks.

1. I’ve never tried it, but maybe googling would provide a how-to? If such a thing is possible…

2. Jan says:

Cape Cod Cranberry Growers Association says:
      Another method of drying is to turn on the oven for 10 minutes at 350 F. Then place the cranberries on a cookie sheet in the oven, turn off the oven, and let them sit overnight. Store dried cranberries in the freezer. Keep in mind that dried cranberries can be used in place of raisins in recipes!

6. EVA says:

Oh god how this story hits home….being a tennis player throughout my school years, I can relate to this to a T! My mom had bought a ton of Clif bars as my tennis snack, but I always thought that they tasted terrible! So chemical-tasting to me. Since I refused to eat them, I survived on a bounty of fruit snacks and cheesy Ritz crackers. Talk about terrible workout fuel!

7. Susan says:

I too am wondering where one is to find freeze-dried strawberries? Although I am super-happy that this bar recipe doesn’t have dates.

1. April says:

Thanks for asking that question, I was just about to write the same question when I saw that you posted it, I was looking on Iherb.com and I seen a package of organic freeze dried fruit but the bag only comes in a 1.2oz size, that doesn’t seem like enough to make even one batch of these. I have no idea how much 1.2oz is per cup, maybe they are just very light and go along way. I am interested in seeing the response you get for this question too. 🙂

1. Teresa says:

The 1.2 ounce bag you found will be more than enough. The recipe calls for 28 grams, which is one ounce. Dehydrated fruit is very, very light. I often buy 2 ounce bags of dried mango and it has between 2 and 3 cups in it. I love this brand: http://www.justtomatoes.com/jtstore/pc/Just-Strawberries-4p79.htm. They are expensive, but so tasty. (My local grocery store carries this brand.) Sometimes Target also carries their own brand of dehydrated berries in their snack section. Good luck 🙂

1. Jenna says:

Trader Joes!

1. Diana says:

Whole foods has them too. Ask the salesperson 🙂

2. Laura says:

I use freeze dried fruits and veggies all the time. I get them from Thrive Life foods. You can buy them in small (pantry size) cans that hold about 3 cups and larger (#10) cans that hold about 9 cups. They are great to snack in dry too. You can find them at shopthrive.net

2. Rachel says:

Crunches brand is found at grocery stores including walmart in my area. And now ALDI, the discount grocery store here, has them–I bought freeze-dried peaches today 🙂

8. Ella says:

These look super yummy! I know, I have to eat a ton to keep up with my own energy levels, haha! Carbscarbscarbs 🙂

9. D says:

Whoa! I just made your newest granola bar recipe yesterday for my mom and told her that you even have a luna bar recipe that I promised to make as well. She and my sister regularly consume luna and Clif bars.

I was wondering if you could create a recipe for the “chocolate brownie” Clif flavor? My sister wouldn’t be crazy about the fruit in this recipe.

10. Beautiful, and a nice story 🙂 I like the shredded dry frozen fruit!

11. These look wonderful, perfect healthy snack to make in batches. Thanks!

12. Heather @ Shards of Lavender says:

Katie, I love Clif bars and your version looks amazing! I’m going to try these today:)

13. Lisa says:

These look delicious! Does the freeze-dried fruit contribute to the texture? Or is it something that could be replaced?

1. Simone says:

I’m also trying to think of a substitute for the freeze dried fruit. I love the flavor, but it was brought to my attention that they are usually made in China, using a questionable process. Now I can’t bring myself to buy them anymore :-/

14. Yum! I just put up granola bars, too 🙂 As a teenager, I can vouch for clif bars. They’re seriously the perfect after-school snack! Also cannot wait to check out that chocolate/pb mug cake!

15. Sara says:

I just made them and they are SO GOOD!

I used freeze dried blueberries from trader joes instead of the raspberries. Seriously your site keeps getting better and better! How do you keep coming up with such good recipes?!?

1. Sara says:

I want to make another batch and add mini chocolate chips 🙂

16. Paris Cole says:

OMGoodness..I have to tell ya..I absolutely love your blog!!! It has inspired me in so many ways!! Definitely gonna try this over the weekend..I also will be making the Peanut Butter Brownie Bites…you know I had to mention you on my blog lol…you are just so full of inspiration and I absolutely thank you for being you and creating these amazing recipes!!!

17. I spent two and a half hours today on my Summer holiday in the Norwegian mountains, and I could have done with one of these (or two..or..threee?) on the way! They look delicious 🙂 x

18. Caitie says:

I can’t wait to make these!! I have been waiting for you to do this post. I’ll definitely be binging these out with me when I’m climbing. Thanks Katie!

19. Cynthia says:

These are fantastic! I have had a package of freeze-dried berries from Whole Foods laying around and FINALLY had a recipe to use them in! Definitely making these again for sure 🙂