Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Chocolate Banana Bread in a Bowl

Banana Chocolate Blender Cereal:

New favorite breakfast!!

If you like banana bread, there’s a good chance you’ll fall completely in love with this rich chocolatey breakfast bowl. The entire recipe takes less than 5 minutes to make, and you might already have all of the ingredients!

For more healthy breakfast recipes: Chocolate-Covered Katie: Over 50 Healthy Breakfast Recipes

healthy banana recipes

Spellchecker is trying to convince me that “chocolatey” is not a real word.

Stupid spellchecker. What does it know?

Smile with tongue out

Chocolate Banana Breakfast Pudding:

Chocolate Banana Bread in a Bowl

Adapted from Banana Blender Cereal

• 1 peeled banana, as ripe as possible
  • 1 cup flake cereal (such as bran or corn flakes)
  • scant 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 cup milk of choice
  • tiny pinch salt
  • 3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • sweetener of choice, to taste
  • optional peanut butter, chocolate chips, walnuts, coconut, etc.

Blend all ingredients thoroughly. Garnish as desired. It will get much thicker if you refrigerate at least 10 minutes before eating. (In the summer months, I like to use a frozen banana.)

View Chocolate Banana Cereal Nutrition Facts

Chocolate Banana Bread in a Bowl

P.S. These pictures were taken with my iphone. :)

Question of the Day:

Do you have a current favorite breakfast?

Healthy Nanaimo Bars

Link of the Day: Raw Mint Chocolate Crème Filled Bars

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

1. This looks so good! Oh my goodness, I never have even thought of blending cereal like this, so cool. And chocolatey most definitely should be a word.

2. Oh my gosh. I’ve been thinking about breakfast, and I feel so lucky that I haven’t yet. Imagine it: I was about to have cold cereal! I’m going to make this today, thank you for posting!

P.S: I simply do not believe these photos were photographed with an iPhone. That’s a lie!

3. Mariam says:

Hi Katie! I was just wondering if you would mind sharing the brand of cereal that you prefer for the recipes like this. Thanks! :)

1. I have used Arrowhead Mills spelt flakes in the past, and they work well. More recently, I have used Whole Foods bran flakes.

4. OatmealOdyssey says:

This looks amazing! I am definitely trying this ASAP!!!

5. Cassie says:

Green smoothie bowls <3 UGH so delicious!

6. Cassie says:

Green smoothie bowls with tons of fruit and kale! I top mine with nuts and berries as well!!!

7. Shannon says:

This looks great! It would be perfect to take on the go to school. I love your breakfast cookie dough recipe, and this seems somewhat similar. Thanks!

8. Candice says:

I’ve made your breakfast cookie dough before, I’ll have to try this one with the added chocolate, couldn’t hurt right? 😀
    I love all sweet breakfast foods, its hard to pick a favorite, but lately I’ve been stuck on cinnamon-type things (perhaps because fall is in the air!). I really wanted to make your carrot cake waffle this morning, but I was out of carrots, so I settled on your “healthy waffle” recipe instead. Of course I threw in a bunch of cinnamon… yum!

9. Dawn L says:

Katie – this is amazing!!! I had to make it as soon as I saw it. I did not have flake cereal on hand so I used an organic coconut chia granola cereal. It gave it a crunch, but I like that texture. Super yummy! Thanks for another wonderful way to eat chocolate and not feel guilty!

1. Thank you for trying it! I think you’re the first! :)

10. Great pictures and fun idea, to blend the cereal like that! Never thought of it either.
    BTW, hope your arm has healed by now and is well again!
    My favourite breakfast currently is a buckwheat muffin (unsweetened, kind of bread roll) with natural style peanut butter and pickles.

1. Thanks! It is *mostly* healed :)

1. Oh, good :) Get completely healed soon!

11. Hailey says:

That looks delicious. I will have to try it. My current favorite breakfast is whole wheat toast and scrambled eggs with bell pepper, sea salt, pepper, turkey and cheese. Yum!

12. Kim W says:

Thank You!
    Now I have three cck recipes to try for my birthday!
    1. Easy Cheesecake
    2. Birthday Cake
    2. Banana- bread in a bowl
    Happy Birthday to me!

1. Heather says:

Happy Birthday!! :)

13. Banana bread in a bowl! I’ve never seen a recipe like this.

14. Russell says:

What gluten free cereals would work with this? The only thing that comes to mind is Rice Chex or Corn Chex, but I’m open to alternatives.

1. Or corn flakes, as mentioned above. I believe the ones by Nature’s Path are gluten-free, but I’m not 100% sure so it’s best to check! I think Erowon makes gf cereals as well…

2. Heidi says:

I am going to try this tomorrow morning, and I plan to use my GF puffed brown rice. I might add a little more than the 1 cup to make up for the difference in density, but I don’t see any reason it wouldn’t work.

1. Jennifer says:

Let us know how it turns out. I don’t have any flaked cereal either, but I do have crispy rice cereal and I was curious to see if it would work

1. Heidi says:

It worked great! I used 1 1/4 cup of crispy brown rice cereal, then popped in the refrigerator for about 20 mins and it came out a thick pudding-like consistency (which I am assuming is what it should be).

1. Jennifer says:

I’m so glad it worked. I will have to try it tomorrow morning.

15. I use chocolatey all the time and it tries to correct it to chocolaty, which just looks odd even though it’s probably correct! I’ll be making this for my kids tomorrow; they love chocolate and bananas together…

16. I bet if you added a pinch of baking soda you could actually cook that into a bread. I might have to try that!

17. Now that’s what I call breakfast – yum! I wouldn’t mind having it for dessert as well 😀

18. Sabrina says:

This just might be added to our list of favorite breakfasts! Currently, the favorite in our house (even among the kids and husband!) is your breakfast cookie dough. Somehow it is became known as blended cereal in our house and everyone looks forward to having it on the weekends when everyone is here together for breakfast.

19. Karin says:

This looks so yummy, I was wondering it would work with these two changes as I never have milk or cereal in the house:

* replace the milk with Yoghurt
    * replace cereal with Oats

Would I need to make changes to the measurements?
    Thank you for the great reciepes, I love all the oat ones!

20. Emily J. says:

Trying this tomorrow! I can’t believe those are iPhone pictures. Wow!!!

21. Steph says:

Yum! It looks so thick and chocolatey 😉 I don’t know if my blender will make it look that smooth and creamy- but I do know that I’ll be making this for sure! Thanks! 😀

22. Ooh, LOVE the idea of putting flake cereal in this. It’s like chocolate banana milk yumminess 😉 so into it! And what does spellcheck know… chocolatey is a very important word!

23. Oh my gosh, this looks so dang good! I also can’t believe these pics were taken with your iphone! That’s pretty incredible.

24. celana says:

delicious banana with chocolate its very yummy

25. Tom Loeza says:

That was so healthy and delicious. Great idea- I would never have thought to put cereal in a blender. And I think the frozen banana is a must. They’re so much better that way!

26. Nicole says:

Thanks for sharing this! I’m getting my wisdom teeth pulled Friday and I need something to eat besides greek yogurt and chocolate frosting.

27. Kata says:

Absolutely loved it! :)

28. Jedi13 says:

Selling my sister for a bowl of this! Anyone interested?

On a more serious note, THESE LOOK DELICIOUS!!!

29. This look so delicious AND easy to make!! I am totally having this for breakfast tomorrow (only because I already ate breakfast today!)

30. Yummy! This breakfast sounds like a wonderful idea :) Love it!! And I can’t believe that you took those photos with your iPhone! I am thoroughly impressed Katie!

31. Fionna says:

Oh my goodness, I have to try this! I guess this’ll take breakfast to a new level!
    As for my favourite breakfast… Your pancakes. And yes, I mean every single one of them! (those are just WAY too delicious to not love them!

32. Steph B says:

Well, that was an awesome breakfast this morning! I added some kale powder and flax meal and used puffed brown rice in place of the bran flakes. Thanks so much for your persistent, playful, healthful recipe “artistry”. I love this blog and we have many recipe favorites, particularly the No-Bake Pumpkin (Butternut) Chocolate Pie. It gets served to guests with great frequency, and rave reviews. I love sharing food with people that surprises them by the healthfulness of the ingredients and the luscious, rich flavors. Good work, Katie!

1. Thank you so much for making it!

33. Claire says:

Alright, how did you get such wonderful pictures from your iPhone?? Share your secrets. 😀 Haha.

But seriously, this recipe looks delicious. I’d love to try it.

1. I actually did photoshoots with both cameras and was surprised to find I liked the iphone ones better!

34. Joan says:

Oh this just looks so YUM. Note to self: Don’t read chocolatecoveredkatie before bed! Now I need to fix me a snack, this website is delicious! Thanks for all the amazing recipes!

35. Jess says:

Katie, I just made this, and it is delicious! Feels very naughty, almost like eating chocolate pudding for breakfast. I didn’t have any plain bran flakes, but when I came downstairs this morning, I spotted Crunchy Nut Corn Flakes. Even better! Didn’t need to add any sweetener, the sweetness of these is ridiculous anyway. Thanks for the recipe! :)

36. Tina says:

Hi Katie,

I love following your blog from Australia! Just wanted to ask you a quick question about your yummy recipe regarding cocoa do you mean the baking cocoa or the drinking cocoa?
    Thank you!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Both will actually work here!

37. Rachel says:

This is delicious! Super thick and creamy. In the future, on run days, I might try subbing chocolate protein powder for the cocoa.

38. Inge says:

Wait! Chocolatey is not a real word?!
    What kind of people have decided that?

Anyway, this looks delicious! It’s something that looks like you should feel totally guilty about eating it, but you don’t have to! Perfect!

39. Alexa Reass says:

This looks delicious! I love all things banana so I’m sure this will go into my breakfast rotation. My go to breakfast right now is a nice bowl of overnight oats. Usually I make it with strawberries and banana but I rotate the fruit every once and a while. Using peaches because they are in season it is so so good!

40. Tara says:

You’ve done it again, Katie! This was so tasty, and my favorite part was that I didn’t need to measure anything. The eyeballing-it method worked for me! I think I’m going to nix the cocoa next time (I know, I know, what am I thinking?!?) and replace it with PB so it’s like a cold version of your PB breakfast pudding, which I LOVE!!! For those of you who liked this recipe, you have GOT to try the PB breakfast pudding!!! Soo delish!

41. Liz says:

Hi Katie! I just wanted to comment on how much i enjoyed this recipe! I nixed the sugar, used dark cocoa powder, and used Special K Pecan cereal – it was wonderful and the perfect single-serving size of banana bread pudding!

I also wanted to comment on your most recent post and the rude comment you got on your eating habits (but I didn’t want to write two comments – lazy, I know!). You handled the accusation with grace <3 As a person in recovery from an eating disorder, I really appreciate all your healthy recipes and your honesty of how you add in the fats and oils but give alternatives. They really help me on days when I'm struggling to eat but know I need to. Knowing I have a place to find healthy recipes with healthy options is really comforting and has been a blessing in my recovery. Don't let the trolls ever stop you from posting pictures and stories of yourself and your lifestyle! Reading your blog we know that you are a healthy person, and you really are a grace to many people.

Looking forward to the next awesome recipe!! I'm secretly hoping for some autumn (pumpkin, anyone?) recipes soon!

42. Izzie says:

Hey katie :)
    Have you thought of using things like cream of tarter (like in your banana milkshakes) and putting them in this cereal, I bet it’s delicious! 😀 x

43. allison griese says:

Hey there I just wanted to let you know that I have loved your blog for years now! I am a highschooler enrolled in a Food, Nutrition, and Wellness class. I was disappointed when I saw that we were making giant cookie-cakes, fluffy pancakes, and orange Julius, loaded with added sugars and fat. I talked to the teacher about wanting to incorporate healthier recipes into the class and she responded saying it wasn’t in the budget. Then, one day, we had an open-kitchen where we could make whatever recipe we desired. I printed out your cookie dough dip recipe and brought it in. The kids loved it (once they got past the garbanzo beans part) because it tasted like cookie dough, and my teacher loved it because it was cheap, fast, and easy. She loved it so much that she sent the recipe to other highschools home-economics programs and told me that they would be making the very same recipe in their classes. Thank you for allowing me to show my teacher that healthy food doesn’t have to be expensive and can be just as delicious!

44. mandi says:

I hardly ever comment but I just put this in the fridge to thicken up and tried a lil taste of it and I am BEYOND EXCITED to eat this for dinner while watching Big Brother (obsessed!). And, yes I said dinner! 😉 I will admit I am not usually a fan of blending up bananas (love bananas on their own though) but I thought how can I go wrong with chocolate and bananas? And I added 3 tbsp of PB2 Peanut butter and 1 tbsp of agave as my sweetener. Ahhhhh!!! Thank you CCK for allowing me to be healthy and animal friendly all while enjoying deliciousness!

45. EVA says:

My favorite summe breakfast has been an almond butter and jelly sammich! Lame, but it seriously brings such happiness to my face once I get to start munching. If I eat the combination in the morning, it’s guaranteed to be a good day for EVERYBODY.

46. Rebecca Drescher says:

I made this for breakfast this morning! It was completely incredible and so filling, I already want to make it again tomorrow!

47. Stephanie says:

I tried this this morning and I love it! How on earth did you come up with this? I would have never thought to put cereal in a blender! YUM YUM YUM!!! Thanks for another great recipe!!!

48. Dabney says:

Can’t wait to try this!!! It’s exactly what I’ve been craving, and I just didn’t know it until I saw your post!
    My current favorite breakfast is either your DELICIOUS chocolate mudslide oatmeal or a cream cheese bagel topped with tomato and black pepper!

49. Shaun Marsh says:

I love that banana filling! This looks and sounds amazing Katie! I love how simple and yummy your recipes are! Every bite has tons of goodness in it!! Thanks for all these amazing recipes!

50. meghan says:

can you make this without banana? i’m allergic :(

51. Karin says:

I’ve been enjoying this breakfast since I saw you post. We tweek it to just the bare bones of a cup of great, healthy multigrain and flax flake cereal, 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, some cinnamon and maybe a little dollop of honey. My great revelation, though, is that after a week of being slightly under the weather (ok 3 days, whine, whine) I had a half portion in the fridge in a little jar just waiting for the moment I felt like eating again. I didn’t want it cold so I heated it up just a bit and YUM YUM YUM! I love it warm. Yep, I’m forgoing the couple minutes it takes to put on makeup today to post this before we leave for the day, just to get the word out. YUM!! Now that’s some comfort food!

52. Tinka says:

You are so great.
    I saw this recipe, and made it five minutes later! It is waiting in the fridge for me to eat it tomorrow morning. But it might not last till then…

53. Kathryn says:

i just had this for breakfast this morning!! it really does turn into pudding after it’s been in the fridge for twenty minutes or so. I tossed a handful of spinach into mine and used carob instead of cocoa cos my banana wasn’t ripe enough (it’s too cold in my house for them to ripen :c). I don’t think I’ll eat my cereal any other way for a while :p

54. Luka says:

Great Banana Bread recipe. I added a tsp. vanilla to it. I only had 4 bananas so like another reviewer I added a little sour cream. Will be making this often. Thanks

55. nuts4knits says:

Just made this with Uncle Sam’s cereal and added a 1/2 T homemade coconut butter. Yummy!

56. kaytee says:

OMG I can’t believe I just ate a huge bowl of chocolate for breakfast and I don’t have to feel guilty! I am new to your blog, and I need to find a store that stocks some of the other ingredients you use, but this was so quick and easy. Safe to say I will be back once I’ve been shopping!

57. Teresa says:

The best part about this bowl is that you can easily hide a handful of fresh spinach in it, and the flavor is hardly impacted at all! It’s a perfect hide-your-greens breakfast