Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

1 Million Dollar Vegetable Stew

If you are a veggie lover, this recipe is for you!

Why not try out a healthy dinner tonight, with this delicious and hearty vegetable stew, bursting with essential vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants? Healthy eating never tasted so good! Find the recipe here: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/01/04/1-million-vegetables-lentil-stew/

Lentil stew with a million vegetables in it!

This is one of those recipes where you feel super healthy and full of energy when you’re done eating, not the slightest bit sluggish or weighed down. It’s perfect for starting the new year off on a healthy foot… especially if your new year’s resolution is to eat more veggies.

The stew has a million of them, remember?

1 Million Vegetable Stew: for veggie lovers only!

Eh, close enough. Winking smile

A few days before Christmas, I stocked up on a million veggies (with an emphasis on mushrooms) from the Asian market, and this stew was a way to use them all up! The recipe is adapted from a lentil tagine recipe found in The Whole Foods Cookbook, and it’s the same lentil-veggie stew pictured in the post about what I ate for Christmas dinner.

healthy lentil vegetable stew.

Try out a super healthy dinner - from @choccoveredkt… Delicious and hearty vegetable stew, bursting with essential vitamins, protein, fiber, and antioxidants. Makes a big batch, and leftovers freeze well. Full recipe: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2013/01/04/1-million-vegetables-lentil-stew/

pin-it

“1 Million Dollar” Vegetable Stew

(with an option for slow-cooker lentil stew)

• 1.5 cups onion, chopped (190g)
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic (15g)
  • 3 tbsp olive oil (If desired, you can get away with 1 tbsp. Technically you can omit; it will just be better and more flavorful with the oil)
  • 1 1/2 cups bell peppers, sliced or diced (350g)
  • 4-6 carrots, sliced (95g)
  • 1 cup celery, chopped (140g)
  • 6 cups sliced mushrooms (Any variety will do; feel free to mix and match. I used 300g button mushrooms, 150g portabellas, and 350g shiitakes)
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (30g)
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste (30g)
  • 2 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 1/3 cup dry lentils (200g) (See nutrition link below for all substitution notes)
  • 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock (360g)
  • 2 15oz cans diced tomatoes (I used regular, not unsalted.)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 5oz box raw spinach
  • 1 1/2 tbsp grated lemon zest (important)

Heat a large saucepan, then add the oil and onion. Sauté 5 minutes, until onions begin to brown. Add the garlic, peppers, carrots, and celery, and cook 5 more minutes. Then add everything else up to the cumin, and cook 15 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Now add all but the spinach and lemon zest. (If you have a crockpot, you can transfer the ingredients to your crockpot at this time.) Cover and cook on low until the lentils are soft and have absorbed most of the liquid– it takes about an hour on the stovetop. Time will vary if you use a slow cooker, depending on the strength and size of your particular crock pot. Add spinach and lemon at the very end, and cook 2-3 minutes until the spinach wilts. This recipe makes 8 servings (or 6 larger “Katie-sized” servings).

View Lentil Stew Nutrition Facts

Also see above link for substitution notes.

5/5 (1)

Published on January 4, 2013

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

143 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Crafty Vegan says

The stew sounds lovely! Though I think I’d make it using split peas instead of lentils – Although I used to LOVE them , turns out I’m allergic 🙁 Rather annoying for a vegan!
    I always feel healthy after eating salads, or raw meals 🙂 They take a bit more time to prepare, but I always feel so refreshed! Zuchinni noodles, with tomatoes and a nut-cheese sauce is my favourite, and I start the day with a salad =] Strange to some, but hey we have to do what’s right for us! Love the dress by the way =] Happy new year!

2. Crystal says

Excellent. Does one really have to cook the vegetables before the crockpot?? I get the onions but the rest? Can’t wait to try.

3. Andrea says

I just made this, and it was delicious! I love how there are so many fresh vegetables in it. 🙂 I even used diced tomatoes from our garden that my grandma had canned! I am definitely set for meals for the week!
    I always feel healthy after eating fruits and vegetables, or anything unrefined. I like knowing that what I am putting in my body is natural!

4. Bendy and I Know It says

This recipe is SO delicious! I halved it (made it for myself) and since I can’t stand mushrooms I replaced them with extra carrots and bell peppers. I was so nervous to add the lemon peel as I thought it’d taste lemony – but it turned out so well and not lemony at all 🙂

I’ll definitely make this again, it’s such an awesome way to get veggies and protein!! thanks Katie!

And in answer to your question, I always feel healthy when I eat veggies raw or cooked in mass amounts (ie in recipes like this), drink homemade smoothies, eat oatmeal….basically everything in my diet, actually. I avoid GMOs, am Celiac so can’t eat gluten, am vegetarian, and basically that leaves unrefined grains & fruits & veggies…and Endangered Species dark chocolate of course. yum yum!! 😀

5. Amy says

I made this last week and was so in love with it that I shared your website and recipe at my Weight Watcher meeting this week. The leader even wrote your website down on the board to share for the rest of the day. Hopefully you will get some new followers and I will lose another 4lbs next week. Thank you for the great recipes!

6. Jennifer D. says

This is simmering on my stove right now. It smells lovely! Both kids like the smell (2 yr and 8 yr) but we will see how they eat it. 🙂 One is picky and the other doesn’t like mushrooms.
    Thanks for the great recipe!

7. Jill K says

This is the first (of hopefully many!) recipes I’ve made from your website. It turned out great!! 5 stars for sure and I can’t wait to make it again!! Thank you for sharing!

8. Hallie says

I guess I’m in the minority, but I did find the recommended amount of lemon zest overwhelming. It seemed like too much to me but I went ahead and added it all. I would recommend adding a little at a time and tasting as you go, or letting each diner add it his or herself. My husband definitely noticed the lemon but still liked it, while I thought the dish tasted like I added soap! Adding soy sauce helps, but I can tell it would have been delicious with less lemon so I will definitely make it again.

• Anna says

Woah. I guess I’m the minority too. I love all the veggies but adding the lemon just threw the flavor of this dish way off for me. I did what Hallie recommended and balanced that soapy lemon flavor out with tamari. It made all the difference and now I enjoy the stew! Oh and instead of sauteeing in the beginning I just added everything to the crockpot (except spinach and lemon…. and tamari) and cooked on low for 6 1/2 hours. Texture came out perfect for anyone wondering.

9. Teresa says

I finally got around to making this; it’s delicious. Thanks so much for posting this one. I love soups and stews, especially this time of year. I think the only change I’ll make to this next time is to chop the mushrooms into small pieces instead of slices. One of my roommates doesn’t like the texture of mushrooms. But he’ll eat them just fine if they blend in with the rest of the ingredients.

10. Natalie says

Green smoothies. The ones that are half spinach and the other half Greek yogurt, raspberries, blueberries and water. Makes me feel AMAZING!!

11. Mex says

I just ate two bowls of this.
    I was low on mushrooms so added a zucchini and a little squash.
    Delicious.

12. Katie says

I understand that tomatillos have a citrusy flavor. If I add them to the recipe, do you think I could skip the lemon? Or would it be inadvisable to add them at all?

• Katie says

I actually tried this and added three to the recipe. Other than the slightest spike in citrusy flavor, it tasted exactly the same. Thank you though!

13. Robin says

Just wanted so stop by and say how much I loved this recipe! I made it a few weeks ago for my non-vegan (but supportive) parents and they loved it! There’s just three of us so we had some awesome leftovers for the week. I replaced the mushrooms with some different veggies and the whole thing turned out perfectly. Thanks Katie, I love your dinner recipes!

14. Wendy says

Hi Katie, I LOVE your site & recipes- cannot wait to try them! I don’t have a laptop so is there an easy way to print the basic recipe since my PC is not in the kitchen?? Thanks!

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

The best way to print is to hi-light the recipe itself, right click and hit copy; then open a new Word document and hit paste. Then you can name the recipe and save it in a CCK folder, and print that document as needed.

15. Shirley says

Thank you for some very interesting veggie recipes, I am so tired of finding some sort of meat in each recipe I look up, so thanks and I will be visiting your website more often.

16. Caitlin Garstkiewicz says

Hello!
    How long would you suggest cooking it in the crock pot? I am just beginning using a crock pot for meals, so I am new to this! Thank you!

17. Becca Schwager says

I made this tonight and it was super good! I didn’t have fennel seeds so I used dill weed instead. Still great! Next time I’ll make sure I make it way in advance because I didn’t end up eating it until 8:00 by the time the lentils were soft. 🙂 Thanks for the recipe!

18. Brooke says

Hi Katie,
    I just wanted to take this time to let you know how much I appreciate this blog and all the effort you put into it for all of us readers. I have been a avid follower of this blog for about two years now, and I am only 14 years old! I was looking for references to lead a healthier lifestyle, and your recipes have helped me to accomplish this, along with a few other factors such as exercise and overall more of an understanding of my own wellness. Some of my favorite recipes are this one, your banana pancakes, 24 carrot cupcakes, and crustless pumpkin pie- all of which have been approved by my dear not-so-healthy siblings and tasteful parents! It helps me a lot to have a variety of interesting recipes so that making and eating healthy meals and snacks does not become tiresome. I also read every single one of your posts and love how you are so personable and friendly to your readers and seem like a wonderful person in general. Thank you so much for helping me onto a better, healthier path! I hope you receive enough gratitude for what you do!
    Sincerely,
    Brooke

P.S I have yet to become a vegan, but I have gone from a flexitarian to a vegetarian over the past few months. I’m hoping to switch over completely sometime in the future, but for now being in a meat-loving family it is too difficult and cumbersome! Thanks for inspiring me!

19. Brooke says

Hi Katie!
    I previously typed up a very long comment but I do not think that it posted. I’ll summarize it instead. So, I am a 14 year old girl who has been reading your blog for 2 years now. Your blog was one of the first outside resources that helped me begin a healthier lifestyle. I appreciate the effort you put into all your recipes and the kindness you show to all of your readers, and I can’t thank you enough for all of the variety of recipe ideas you have given me. My absolute favorite recipe on this website is this one, and my entire carnivorous family approves as well! Thank you so much for all that you do.
    Sincerely,
    Brooke

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

What you can do is this: High-light just the recipe itself, then right-click “copy;” then open a new Word document and right-click “paste.” You can then name the file and save it to a CCK recipe folder, and print it from there.

20. Tasha says

Delicious!!!! I added chicken by cubing 6 breasts, marinating it in lemon and black pepper and a handful of flour. Then I cooked the chicken and added it to the stew. So good!!! I also added a spoonful of non fat plain greek yogurt to my bowl to make it creamier. 🙂

21. norm says

I would love to make it, but it would be to costly to go out and try to get all the ingredients. People would eat healthier if recipe makers would keep in mind that not everyone can spend $50 bucks to make one dish. That’s how much the ingredients I didn’t have were going to cost when I went shopping for what I didn’t have at home.

22. Rachel Melissa says

Hey Katie!!! Do you have a suggestion for someone who hates mushrooms? I really want to try this recipe out!

23. Judith says

Hi Katie! You are a wonderful cook, though you obviously alreasy know that!
    Just did this and it is delicious! I squeezed some extra lemon on top just because I love lemon! Way to go, Katie!!

24. Kathleen says

Thanks Katie,
    This was so delicious! It was the perfect dinner for a day when the fam had some time to spend together chatting and chopping veggies so it was doubly wonderful. We followed it up with a homemade apple blueberry crumb pie. Lots of veggies and fruits today!
    Happy New Year!

25. Kari says

I subbed some cabbage for the celery, used red lentils and felt skeptical about putting the box of mixed greens (chard, kale and spinach) in the pot. It’s so thick!!
    I put it in anyway and kept my fingers crossed. Don’t have lemon zest, used lemon juice (fingers crossed again).

It turned out really good. My kids even ate it!