I’ve been holding on to this healthy tiramisu recipe for over a year, and I’m excited to finally get to share it. If you try the recipe, I hope you will love it as much as I do.
It is rich, creamy, and incredibly light– all for under 100 calories!
Eight years ago, I was given the incredible opportunity to spend Christmas in Italy.
We have cousins who run a hotel in a quaint beach town on the Italian coast, and even though they’d never met us before our trip, they completely showered us with hospitality.
Christmas that year was unlike any other I’ve ever experienced.
The #1 rule I learned for surviving an Italian gathering: If someone puts the most delicious food of your life down in front of you and then asks if you’d like seconds, your answer should always be NO.
There will be at least 7 more courses to come, not including dessert.
So you had better save room.
But each course will be so enticing that, despite your best efforts, you will quickly abandon this rule. The meal will consist of over three hours of relaxing, conversing with family and friends, drinking, and stuffing yourself so completely that you’ll be convinced you couldn’t possibly fit in dessert. Yet when the tiramisu comes around, you will find yourself saying, “Just one bite.”
And then another…
And then another…
If you’re anything like me, you can always find room for tiramisu.
- 2 tbsp milk of choice
- 2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil OR additional milk of choice
- 1/2 cup silken tofu OR 1/2 cup plain yogurt and decrease milk by 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp ground flax or 1 tsp energ powder
- 1/2 cup spelt or white flour (or Bob’s gf plus 1 tsp xanthan)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp sugar of choice or xylitol
- 1/16 tsp pure stevia OR 2 additional tbsp sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F and grease an 8×8 square pan. Set aside. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and stir very well. Pour wet into dry and stir until just evenly combined, then pour into the prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Meanwhile, make the cream:
- 3/4 cup Mori-Nu tofu OR cashew cream
- 3/4 cup cream cheese, such as Tofutti nondairy
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch pure stevia OR 2 tbsp powdered sugar
Blend all ingredients together until completely smooth. You will not use all of the cream in the Tiramisu, but it’s best to make a full batch for smooth blending… and you can always use the leftovers to frost banana bread, pumpkin bread, or Cheesecake Pancakes!
- 3 1/2 tbsp espresso (or 3 1/2 tbsp water mixed with just over 1 tbsp instant coffee)
- 1 1/2 tbsp rum (For alcohol-free, just add a little rum extract to the espresso)
Combine both ingredients in a small dish.
To make the Healthy Tiramisu: Line a 9×5 loaf pan with plastic wrap. Cut the cake in half, placing one half in the bottom of the loaf pan. Brush with some of the espresso, then smooth on a layer of cream. Place the other half of the cake on top, then cover with the rest of the espresso and another layer of cream. Refrigerate at least 5 hours before serving to let the espresso sink into the cake layers. Before serving, dust with cocoa if desired. Makes 4 BIG servings or 8 squares.
Link Of The Day: