Sweet & delicious baked strawberry donuts.
(See the step-by-step video, above)
Growing up, I always used to love it when my mom would buy a package of sponge cake dessert cups from the grocery store and we’d top them with sliced strawberries and whipped cream for a simple strawberry shortcake.
One taste of these light and pillowy strawberry donuts took me right back to the sponge-cake shortcakes of childhood. And even better, these donuts are free of all the extra refined sugars, preservatives, and artificial flavors present in the store-bought dessert cups. They’re pretty darn easy to make, too: Stir the ingredients together in a bowl, smooth into a donut pan or muffin tin, and bake in the oven.
You can also opt to eat them topped with jam or frosted with almond or peanut butter or vanilla yogurt of choice. Or you can make a basic donut glaze of 1 cup powdered sugar mixed with 1-2 tbsp milk of choice and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract. They’re delicious unfrosted, too!
Baked Strawberry Donuts
Adapted from Blueberry Baked Donuts
Baked Strawberry Donuts – Refined Sugar Free!
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1 tsp white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup or agave or honey
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil – If you don’t mind fat-free texture, you can use applesauce (35g)
- 1 cup flour, loosely packed (works with all-purpose, spelt, or gf all-purpose mix) (125g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries, fresh or frozen-thawed (60g)
- optional add-ins: pinch cinnamon, handful mini chocolate chips or shredded coconut
Combine first 5 ingredients. Set aside. Grease a donut pan OR mini muffin pan, and preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together all remaining ingredients except strawberries. (For best taste and texture, I highly recommend the oil option.) Pour wet into dry once oven is preheated, and stir until just evenly mixed. Don’t overmix. Stir in the berries. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until donuts have risen and batter is no longer wet. Let sit 5 minutes before removing from the pan. Frosting ideas are listed earlier in this post.
Links Of The Day: