Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Cookie Dough Brownies

I tried these brownies last night, and they are phenomenal!!!! We polished off the entire pan! @choccoveredkt - https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2014/02/21/cookie-dough-brownies/

When I was really young, I had an imaginary friend.

His name was Zozo, and he enjoyed getting me into trouble. Some of his antics included drawing on the walls of my room with permanent marker, telling the babysitter I had no bedtime, pulling my little sister’s hair, and sneaking so many tastes of cookie dough while baking that very few cookies were actually ever made.

Somehow, my parents never bought the excuse it was my imaginary friend behind all of this mischief. 😕

Cookie Dough Brownies

By the way, my childhood imaginary friend is still around and causing trouble.

Only now the trouble comes in the form of convincing me it’s a good idea to watch Netflix instead of going to the gym or doing the dishes.

And he still eats the raw cookie dough while we’re baking, until suddenly I will look up and all the batter has disappeared.

Seriously, this guy is evil.

I don’t know why we’re still friends…

Cookie Dough Brownies

pin-it

Cookie Dough Brownies

• 1 cup plus 2 tbsp milk of choice (270g)
  • 2 tbsp ground flaxmeal (11g)
  • 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp vegetable or coconut or olive oil (110g)
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract (15g)
  • 1 cup spelt, all-purpose, or Bob’s gf flour (120g)
  • 1 cup unsweetened cacao or cocoa powder (80g)
  • 1/4 tsp plus 1/8 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar or packed 1/2 cup coconut sugar (115g)
  • only if using Bob’s gf flour, add 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/3 cup stevia baking blend, or 1/4 cup regular sugar
  • 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
  • 1 recipe of the following: Cookie Dough Dip, made the day after making the brownies

Preheat oven to 330F. Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together all liquid ingredients and the ground flax. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine all remaining ingredients except the cookie dough dip. Pour wet into dry, stir to combine, and pour into prepared pan. Bake 16 minutes, or until mostly set. Brownies will look a little underdone when they come out, but that’s okay! Let cool, then refrigerate overnight and the texture will firm up nicely. Once chilled and firm, make the cookie dough dip and spread it in a thin layer on top of the brownies. Makes 30-35 brownies (35 the size of the ones in the photos). Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.

View Full Nutrition Facts

beet brownies

Other Brownie Recipes:

Maybe there are too many brownie recipes on my site and I should stop posting brownie recipes for a while…

No. Sorry. That won’t ever happen. 🙂

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

83 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. amy says

Um, I don’t know if you know this, but Zozo is the name of a demon who often comes up when using a Ouija board. It’s a little creepy that that’s the name you came up with when you were a kid. In any case, I looooove your recipes!

2. Sarah says

Hi Katie! Great recipe! Made these last night…here are a few of my notes…the brownies I thought could use a little more sugar….but I know you don’t need the sweet as much as I do! Also, I baked a little longer so they firmed up a bit more and a made the cookie dough dip the same day and just put on after the brownies cooled. Oddly enough, in my cookie dough dip I only use about a 1/2c of brown sugar for my sweetener instead of 2/3 cup. So although the brownie part could use a little more sweetener, these were great! I look forward to getting home tonight to dig into them again… Thanks for all the great recipes!

3. Auxai says

Hi!!! I just discovered your blog and I loved it … I will try more than one of your recipes. Thanks for publishing.
    And yes I had a very good imaginary friend, we used to talk a lot 😉

4. Teneille Campbell says

Apologies for the essay, but it’s only to highlight the appreciation I feel 🙂

I have struggled with my weight since my metabolism died when I was 10. I’ve found it really hard to stick to diets (and believe me I’ve tried them all) because in all honesty, I just love food way too much. In my experience I’ve found that if something looks too good to be true, then it most probably is.
    When I found this blog I was seriously sceptical because (when it comes to food and health etc) I’ve had to train myself not to get too excited when I find something like this it has always tasted like crap.

I honestly love love loved these brownies! I would definitely NOT use peanut butter next time as I’ve decided I don’t like it THAT much, but I could tell that with the right nut butter and a better food processor these would have been just perfect!

Sincerely, thank you so so much for posting these fantastic recipes, it’s seriously a life changing thing for me – I can eat ‘healthy’ brownies that actually taste like brownies and not something that’s been picked up on the side of the road and dipped in chocolate.

Haven’t been this excited in a while 🙂

And yes, I had two imaginary friends. Heidi and Klunk. Named from one of my favourite TV shows Humphrey Bear. Not as naughty as Zozo, but maybe I just wasn’t clever enough to lay them blame 😉

5. Janna says

So I made these, and they were gone in a day. I did refrigerate overnight as noted, but I left them out the next day and after sitting at room temperature few hours it was like eating this deliciously soft brownie batter cookie dough combination dessert, so amazingly good.

6. AnnaBananaBelle says

I am going to give these a try this weekend! they look so delicous! i can’t wait! i am a little nervous about how the garbanzo beans will work in the cookie dough…well i guess i will see. Do you think i could use oat flour for the brownies?

7. AnnaBananaBelle says

I made these over the weekend and i thought they were pretty good. i mad the sugar-free version of the cookie dough dip and used almond butter which i think was a mistake as it tastes very much of almond butter. next time i will use peanut butter. I think the brownies could have been a little sweeter… very much appreciate the idea though! After making a few changes i think these will be great! and no i never had an imaginary friend when i was younger. 😉

8. Stephanie says

Oh. my. goodness. That was insane. Just made these for a family get together. Didn’t tell them what was in the cookie dough until after they ate it. My ridiculously picky teenager even went back for more once I told him. They were THAT good. 🙂

9. ILoveCCK says

Hi Katie!
    I love the sound of this recipe and can’t wait to try it. I was wondering, do you think you could maybe try making a white chocolate brownie? If you could I would love you forever!!!!!!!! Also, thanks so much for putting the measurements in grams on the side – I live in England so it really helps.
    Thank you so much for your delicious recipes! I don’t know how I’d live without them

10. Rita says

Going to make these for my 7 year old granddaughter. I had an imaginary horse as a friend when I was 7. My granddaughter, Ari, has a whole menagerie of dogs and other creatures in her imaginary world, and has since she was 3 and learning to talk English. (From 5 months of age, she spoke in an entirely unknown language. Not babbling, but talking in sentences, repeating words and phrases until we could figure out what she wanted. Her mother and I worked hard to get her to speak English, and now she doesn’t remember her first language. Big mistake, I think.) Shark and Snowball are the two main characters, giant dogs that run alongside the car when we’re going someplace. Snowball, the white Husky, has 3,000 girl puppies and 250 boy puppies. Shark, also a female, has fewer puppies, but she’s been sick lately. Ari tells stories about her dogs, zebras and her one giraffe. She’s a marvel and a wonder, a bright star in my constellation of grandchildren.

11. Faith says

I’m definitely going to have to try this. And my imaginary friend was a monkey who lived on the roof, and whenever we moved, he moved right along with us, until one day he got into a helicopter and flew away for good, never to return again.

12. Beth says

I was wondering, because it is not cooked, does the cookie dough topping tastes like beans? So far I’ve only tried one black bean brownie recipe, but the batter didn’t taste that great before baking. Have you tried baking the cookie dough topping, and if so, how did it come out? They look delicious regardless!

• Beth says

Ah, that wasn’t very clear. I meant, have you tried baking the topping once it was on the brownie. As in, baking them together?

• Unofficial CCK Helper says

Rinse the beans well and no, it will not taste like beans. If you try baking it, though, definitely report back!

13. Cynthia says

Hi Katie, thank you for all your choco-licious recipes! Me and my man are so hooked now.
    I wonder if I can use coconut flour for this cookie dough brownie recipe? Thanks!

14. Sophie says

Thank you so much for these! They are incredibly delicious and I especially love that these are also healthy! I can feed these healthy things to my siblings and they have no idea that the cookie dough topping is made with beans!

15. gen says

How did you come up with the name of your imaginary friend? Just wondering because “Zozo” is the name of an ancient demon. Yikes.

16. Tabitha says

These are currently baking in my oven. The mix tastes AMAZING!!! And it’s oh so easy to make! I can’t believe I haven’t tried this before!
    I did tweak the recipe slightly. Instead of brown sugar (which I can’t have) I added 1/2 cup of Rice Malt Syrup in with the wet ingredients. And then added 1/2 cup of Stevia with the dry instead of 1/3 (I couldn’t find the 1/3 cup measurement).

These will be a perfect edition to my birthday celebrations tomorrow! I hope I can stop myself (and my family) from eating them until then! 🙂

17. Susie says

Katie, I can’t find the flourless version of these promised at the bottom of today’s (Jan 22 2015) e-mail. Can you (or anyone?) help me find it?

18. Kara says

Katie,
    I love chocolate too and love using cacao powder to make healthier sweets for my children and family. However, recently, I have read some info. regarding heavy metals being discovered in cacao powders. Are you at all concerned with the high levels of cadmium and other heavy metals being discovered in Cacao powders?

19. Katie says

Hello Katie!
    I was wondering what the flourless option was?
    I am making these this evening for a party we are having tomorrow and would, very much, like the flourless option. Thanks in advance! 🙂

20. Kathleen says

Hi – I can’t seem to locate the flourless version that was mentioned in the email. Could I sub a nut meal for the spelt/gf flour?
    Thanks

21. Rachel says

Hello! I’m a huge fan of all your recipes! I’m working on my dietetics certification, and have been recommending your recipes to clients quite a bit. I noticed in your nutrition info for this recipe, you noted using caloriecount.com. Have you ever tried using the Nutrition Analysis Tool 2.0? It is online – NATS 2.0 – and it’s a tool that a lot of nutritionist fri ends I know use.

Please never stop what you’re doing!
    Best,
    Rachel.

22. Sylvia says

Is there a comparable substitute for the spelt? And can I sub xylitol for the stevia? Wish I had all the ingredients so I could bake these right now! 🙂