Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies

Haven’t you always wanted to eat cookies for breakfast??

vegan oatmeal raisin cookies

These sugar free cookies are filled with wholesome ingredients like bananas, oats, and raisins. See? Totally acceptable for breakfast. Or lunch.

Mmm sure, why not?

healthy oatmeal raisin cookies

oatmeal-cookie_thumb14

Normally, my goal is to make my healthy dessert recipes not taste healthy. However, these cookies are an exception to that rule. (In other words, don’t expect them to taste like traditional cookies you’d find in a bakery.) The wholesome breakfast cookies won’t be a hit with everyone, and I wouldn’t bring them to a party.

For that, I recommend my popular Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies.

But if you’re used to the taste of healthy desserts—and maybe even if you’re not—these incredibly healthy oatmeal-raisin cookies might just be your newest-favorite cookies!

Oatmeal Raisin #Breakfast Cookies... with NO added sugar! - Sweetened naturally with fruit https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/11/oatmeal-raisin-breakfast-cookies/ @choccoveredkt

pin-it

Oatmeal Raisin Breakfast Cookies

Also found here: 100 Sugar-Free Recipes

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • scant 1/2 cup applesauce or over-ripe banana (mashed)
  • 1/4 cup nut butter of choice (I used salted peanut butter)
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3 tbsp raisins (or other dried fruit, or even chocolate chips)
  • 1/16 tsp salt, plus a tiny pinch more if desired (taste dough to decide)
  • 1 packet stevia if using applesauce version (or 1 tablespoon sugar. I actually omitted this altogether. If you have absolutely no sweet tooth, you can try it that way. And if you have a huge sweet tooth—or are used to “non-healthy-tasting” desserts—try adding 1/4 cup sugar. As I said above, don’t expect these to taste like your everyday oatmeal-raisin cookies. I’ll post a recipe for those soon!)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mash the applesauce or banana with the nut butter, then add all other ingredients and mix until well-combined. Shape into cookies and bake for around 14 minutes. (Alternatively, you can try pulverizing the raisins and oats before combining them with the banana mixture, if you want more sweetness.) This recipe probably yields around 10-12 cookies, but I had to guess… because I ate a considerable amount of the raw dough!

View Nutrition Facts

Raisins: Do you love or hate them?

It seems like people have very strong feelings about raisins—either adoring them or loathing them! My roommate is on Team No-Raisins. Yesterday afternoon, as we were eating the cookies, she kept picking out the raisins and asking, “Couldn’t you have used chocolate chips instead?!” Hmmm, that’s actually not a bad idea. If there’s one thing I love more than raisins, it’s chocolate!

EDIT – Here is the chocolate version:

Chocolate Chip #Breakfast Cookies... with NO added sugar! - Sweetened naturally with fruit https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/04/16/mini-chocolate-chip-breakfast-cookies/ @choccoveredkt

Chocolate Chip Breakfast Cookies

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

268 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Lisa Fine says

I like raisins, but not always. Like sometimes I want them in cookies, and sometimes I don’t. It all depends on my mood. And they’re best when they plump up.

These would be great crumbled into some pudding, or ice cream, or yogurt. Yum!

2. Liz says

Not a raisin fan! I always look at oatmeal raisin cookies like, “Why??? Those could have been so tasty with chocolate chips!” That said, my daughter loves raisins, so I keep them on hand.

3. Camilla says

Oh my, these would also make a perfekt snack, on the go :0) I will take them with the raisins, I looooove dried fruits!

4. Lisa says

My baby girl will LOVE these. She’s a big fan of “namas” (bananas) and this looks like a PERFECT food that she can feed herself!

• Nikki Sue says

Oh my goodness, my 18month old went NUTS for these! More specifically, he went crazy for the batter– the actual cookies are still in the oven.
      We actually used pumpkin in place of the applesauce–so good!!!

• Pam says

My brother and I always picked out the raisins too. Mom got smart and started grinding them for cookies. Now it’s so much easier with food processors. Makes the cookies moister as well and I would imagine it would make them seem sweeter.

5. Lena says

I loooove raisins. Just yesterday I was at the store and saw a package of something and at a first glance, I was sure it was chocolate covered raisins and I got so excited! (It wasn’t, though. Boooo.) Anyway, once I have the ingredients for this I’m definitely going to make it. Only I’ll probably overload it with nuts and chocolate chips and dried cranberries and raisins and other yummy stuff. 😀

6. Sarah says

Hey Katie! First of all, looooved the nutella from yesterday…I’ve eaten almost my whole batch.

Second, I have a question for you. I’m obsessed with your recipes, like seriously in love. However, my doctor just informed me that I now have to be completely oat-free. Major bummer. Do you ever use quinoa or brown rice flakes in your recipes slash do you know if they would yeild good results??

7. Amy S. of Naturally Sweet Surprises says

I couldn’t sit on these! As soon as I read your blog I had to run out and make them. YUM! I added 1 tbsp maple syrup and did it with apple sauce instead of banana. And chocolate chips – loved that idea! I think it needs salt. I’ve already downed several. Thanks for this recipe!

• Chocolate-Covered Katie says

Thank YOU for making them already! I’m always so excited when someone makes one of my recipes.

As for the salt, I used a very salty pb. But I edited the recipe to say you can add a dash if need be! Thanks for the feedback!

8. natalie @ southern fit foodie says

I love oatmeal raisin cookies!!! These look delicious, and who doesn’t like cookies for breakfast?! Raisins are the best – especially in oatmeal. I like adding them when the oatmeal is almost finished cooking so that they plump up nicely.

9. Erin says

So glad you posted this… I’ve been digging oatmeal raisin cookies lately. Of the single serve variety. I have yet to discover a suitable one via google…. they’re all “protein breakfast cookies” or super sweet. Can’t wait to try!

10. Jodi says

I’ve actually made something sorta close to these cookies. I like healthy eating and with my recipe I was trying to make a healthier version of a granola bar. I add protein powder to my mixture and make “muffins” instead of bars. It’s a quick go to snack anytime of the day but especially before a work.

I will definitely have to try your cookies though! 🙂

11. Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking says

HOORAY for breakfast cookies! These look fantastic..maybe even better with the addition of a few chocolate chips in there 🙂

12. Dana says

Those look delicious. I love healthy tasting foods/desserts. They probably would be amazing with chocolate chips though 😉

13. Tina says

Love these! I think my kids would like them (and they usually hate any kind of “healthy” cookie I make!! ) My only problem is I want to eat all 10 of them right now!

14. Bethany says

I just put a batch of these in the oven. I added a little honey since I have quite a sweet tooth. I also went for both the raisins and some chocolate chunks! Can’t wait to try them out (the dough was tasty!).

15. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says

These are cute and how you stacked them without toppling over during the photo shoot…good work 🙂

I love cooking with raisins and they make great snacks for kids’ or anyone’s lunchbox!