Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Ryan Reynolds Blondie Bars!

Classic soft and gooey blondie bars, with chocolate chips in every bite – just the way a blondie should be!

vegan blondies

I know…

You’re wondering about the title.

It’s really my friend’s fault.

When I brought the blondies to a party on Friday night and people were going crazy for them, she said it was clear the blondies had seductive powers. This sparked a conversation over other things with seductive powers… and soon the blondies were being compared to hot fudge sundaes, Tollhouse cookie dough, Ben & Jerry’s, George Clooney, and Ryan Reynolds. I was told that if I ever posted the recipe on the blog, I had to call then Ryan Reynolds blondies.

So here we are.

healthy blondies

(Hopefully if he ever happens to somehow stumble across this post, he will be flattered and not think it’s too crazy!)

Unlike Ryan Reynolds, these chocolate chip blondies are not married… meaning you can keep them all to yourself. And trust me, you’re going to want to keep them all to yourself – they are so soft and gooey, with rich chocolate in each seductive bite. You also don’t have to compete with Blake Lively for their affection, which is good because it would be kind of impossible, because she’s kind of perfect.

The recipe was adapted from my Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars, only these make a much larger batch, and the amount of sugar has almost been cut in half… yet they are still somehow just as good!

(See the video, above)

Of course there’s a video too, because there had to be a video. You need to see the blondie-making in action.

Call them whatever you’d like, but definitely be sure that you try these blondies!peanut butter bars

The bars are or can be egg-free, dairy-free, vegan, gluten-free, paleo, keto, and refined-sugar-free. If you need them to be nut-free, just swap out the peanut butter for your favorite allergy-friendly alternative, such as sunflower butter or pumpkin seed butter.

If you make them, feel free to tag me on Instagram, @ChocolateCoveredKatie, so I can see and like your photos!

Classic soft and gooey blondie bars, with chocolate chips in every bite!

Ryan Reynolds Blondies

Ryan Reynolds Blondie Bars!

Total Time: 15m
Yield: 24-30 bars
Print This Recipe 5/5
Ryan Reynolds Blondie Bars!
5/517

Ingredients

• 2 cups peanut butter OR allergy-friendly sub
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup flour, such as oat, white, spelt, sorghum, or even almond
  • 1 tbsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup sugar, unrefined if desired (or xylitol for sugar-free)
  • 1/2 cup or more chocolate chips – I used 1/2 cup in the batter, plus more on top
  • up to 1/2 cup milk of choice, as needed

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a 9×13 pan with parchment. Stir together all ingredients to form a batter (see the video above if you want to watch the bars being made). Add milk of choice to achieve a cookie-dough-like batter – the amount needed will depend on the flour and type of nut butter you use. Smooth batter into the pan. If desired, press more chocolate chips on top. Bake 15-20 minutes on the center rack. They’ll look way underdone – let them cool for at least an hour, during which time they firm up, and they firm up even more overnight (covered loosely on the counter).

View Nutrition Facts

Trending Right Now:

Chocolate Tinder Brownies, dating app for dessert

Tinder Brownies

vegan cheesecake

Brownie Cheesecake Recipe

(Vegan, GF Options)

banana oatmeal

Banana Oatmeal Recipe

sesame cauliflower eat

Sticky Sesame Cauliflower

I feel like this last recipe is ALWAYS trending… but for good reason! It’s a huge reader favorite!

hello-breakfast-recipes.png

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

108 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Courtney says

Oh my goodness these are good. My first batch I think I cooked just a little too long because they were crumbly (but still insanely good). I am going to make another batch this morning and not cook quite as long. You would never be able to tell these are “healthified.” Perfectly peanut butter and chocolatey!

2. Vivian says

I used Trader Joe’s almond butter which tends to be less solid than some other brands. I used only only one individual serving sized container of unsweetened applesauce which is slightly less than 1/2 cup. I used mostly oat flour (ran out and added about 2 tablespoons of whole grain spelt flour.) I used 1/2 cup of Florida Crystals organic raw cane sugar which is half the recommended amount. (I would have preferred Sucanat Whole Cane Sugar which tends to be less sweet but I could not find it in any local store.) I did not add any milk. I baked mine in a convection oven for 15 minutes. They turned out great. My only disappointment is they have 129 calories each when I cut them into 32 servings (4 across the length of the pain and 8 across the width.) That is too many calories to eat the amount I would LIKE to eat because they are so tasty. I just keep reminding myself they have a lot of good protein in them, too I plan to freeze them cut in one-serving-pieces and take one out each day to eat with my lunch. Microwaved 1 minute power 3 – I am sure they will taste just like fresh baked!

3. LeAnn says

Hello. Thanks for another excellent recipe! I used oat flour and homemade almond butter and they turned out great :). Do you think these would do well in the freezer? If so, for how long do you think they could be kept frozen before they go bad?

4. Catherine says

I have a peanut allergy. My almond butter from Costco is very runny. Trader Jo’s almond butter is not runny at all,and I don’the have that one right now. Will the Costco -Kirkland brand make these brownies more runny even after they sit overnight?

• Jason Sanford says

I know some commenters have used Jif or Skippy, and those are not super firm, so I don’t see why it would not work.
      Jason

5. Amy says

Mine turned out awesome. Loved that they were soft but not super sweet. I’m definitely making these again amen again!!!

6. Sofia says

Hi Katie,
    I have tried this recipe and the bars are extremely tasty – I have made them countless times already. I would, though, like to point out that your calorie count is very misleading for your readers. The calculator that you use ( VeryWellFit) can be finicky and you really must double-check the ingredients. When you said it was calculated with regular peanut butter, I decided to calculate it with that too and I saw that it automatically changed the amount from 2 cups to 1. It is in a smaller print, but is still noticeable. So, once I fixed that, it came closer to 160 calories than just 90. Hopefully now that you are aware of this you can change the calorie count, as it is a big difference.

7. Leonor says

okay so the top of it was crispy nice and inside was definitely goey…but I swear the entire content of the pan just rose up …like a cake lol and I kept it in there for 20 minutes…it was jiggly so everything was followed no substitutions…the only thing that was different was the pan I used was probably 8.5x 11 and it was slanted at the walls.. could this have anything to do with it? The pan you use seemed straight walls and flat not slants. ugh let me know BUT it tasted good and still ate it with vanilla ice cream haha

8. Leonor says

okay so the top of it was crispy nice and inside was definitely gooey…but I swear the entire content of the pan just rose up …like a cake lol and I kept it in there for 20 minutes…it was jiggly so everything was followed no substitutions…the only thing that was different was the pan I used was probably 8.5x 11 and it was slanted at the walls.. could this have anything to do with it? The pan you use seemed straight walls and flat not slants. ugh let me know BUT it tasted good and still ate it with vanilla ice cream haha

• Jason Sanford says

8.5×11 is very very different from 9×13. That’s like trying to fit the same amount of batter in half the size pan, so it would make a huge difference. Glad it still tasted good 🙂

9. Susie McQ says

These are great! My one complaint is that I could really taste the baking soda, so I might decrease to 1-2 tsp next time instead of 1 Tbs. I couldn’t stop eating them anyway. Thanks!

10. Sarah DeBlasio says

Dear Chocolate Covered Katie,

These were chocolate covered DELICIOUS!!! WOW. My husband came home and took one bite and said “WOW”. I think this may be our new bday celebration dessert. For anyone reading trying to decide if you should make these or not…. DO IT!!

Also, I was out of applesauce and used your suggestion in another comment for plain coconut yogurt and it worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Sarah

11. Paige says

I made these about 3-4 weeks ago, ate the entire pan with my son the next day, and have literally thought about them EVERY SINGLE day since. I’ just caved and looked up the recipe to buy the ingredients again.. they are the best.

12. Cynthia says

These were the best! Everyone who tried them said they were a keeper.
    Amazing considering the simple ingredients. I used the Almond flour option and used Swerve/erythritol instead of the sugar.
    Mine were too soft even after cooled, so I put them back in the oven for 15 minutes. Still soft but edible, and as promised firmed up overnight.
    I am wondering if refrigerating would make them firm up faster? Keeping them overnight is torture.

13. Keria M says

Hm I made these exactly as stated in the recipe using almond flour and they came out pretty gooey. The batter even seemed a little wet, so I added a few more tablespoons of flour to combat that. I’m going to put in the fridge to see if they firm up some more, but right now a little disappointed in how they came out.

14. Auntie Em says

I love how these turned out! They were the most popular desert at my mother in law’s Thanksgiving dinner this past weekend. My nephews begged me to please make more for Christmas! I didn’t have applesauce, so I subbed in pumpkin puree and added some pumpkin pie spice. I didn’t add the optional extra milk. Thank you, Katie!!

15. Sabrina says

These come out AMAZING every time for me. I have a hard time not eating too many at once! Have you tried freezing them? My only thing is that I always half the recipe (I selfishly make them for myself instead of bringing them to friends haha) but if you think I could freeze half then I’ll start making full batches!

16. SS says

These had great flavor but were very crumbly, even after chilling for 8 hours. Additionally, sprinkling chocolate chips on top did not stick, the chips rolled off.

17. Pete says

Is the recipe correct with 1 tablespoon (tbsp) of baking soda? I made it with that much and I definitely tasted the baking soda. Couldn’t eat them.. maybe another ingredient I added was no good but wanted to see if others used that much and didn’t have issues. Thanks.

• Jason Sanford says

Hmmm, looking through the comments it doesn’t seem like any others encountered the issue and I didn’t when I made them, BUT could it possibly be that the baking soda clumped and you got a bite that was extra baking soda-y? Or is it the entirety of the bars that are all too much of that taste? I’m not Katie, but I don’t see why reducing the baking soda couldn’t work – maybe your tastebuds are just more sensitive than mine!
      Jason

18. Deej says

Hi,

I grew up without an oven and as an adult am fascinated by the magik of baking and really want to learn this art!
    But can someone please help me discern what I did wrong!
    These bars were sinfully good out of the oven, while they were still gooey and falling apart, but after covering them w a towel in the fridge overnight, they are dry and hard! And not really that good anymore sadly! They are crumbly and leave a lot to be desired.
    I followed the recipe to a T, using a blend of peanut butter and coconut butter for the 2 cups.
    I did bake them for the optional 20 minutes.. could that have been what made the difference?! Needed to do just 15?
    Thanks for any help out there!

• Jason Sanford says

Hi, coconut butter is extremely drying because coconut soaks up water like a sponge. That substitution would be what made them dry.
      Jason

19. Holly says

These are so amazing!!! Wow! I will be making them on a regular basis! I made them exactly as written, but I did not need to add any milk. The key to getting them to firm up is to let them cool! I stuck mine in the freezer so I wouldn’t have to wait as long.