Get two new free healthy recipes each week. Sign Up

Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

vmix1

So remember when I said all I wanted to do in this hot weather was sit around eating salads and ice cream?

Forget the part about the salad. And double up on the ice cream to make up for it. In this particular peanut butter and banana soft serve, the banana gives the recipe its ice-cream-like texture and the peanut butter gives a richness that really does make this recipe taste like actual ice cream. Or, if you omit the peanut butter, you’ll still have a delicious sherbet-like dessert.

vmix2

Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve

(No added sugar)

• 4 medium bananas, peeled and chopped into pieces (the riper, the better)
  • 3-5 tbsp peanut butter (or other nut butter or sunbutter)
  • optional: pinch salt

Freeze the chopped bananas in a Ziploc-type bag. Later, combine all ingredients in a Vita-Mix or food processor or blender. If you use a food processor or blender, you’ll probably have to add a little liquid to get everything to blend. You might also have to thaw the frozen bananas if your freezer is super-powerful. For authentic presentation, use an ice cream scoop to serve! (If you scoop it all into a container and freeze about 10-15 minutes, the texture will also become a bit firmer like ice cream, as opposed to soft serve.)

For more ideas, be sure to check out the following: 30 Healthy Ice Cream Recipes.

5/5 (1)

Published on May 26, 2010

Meet Katie

featured on The
Today Show, CNN,
Fox, The
Huffington Post, and

Learn more about Katie

Get Free Recipes

Don’t Miss Out On The NEW Free Healthy Recipes

Chocolate Covered Katie The Healthy Dessert Blog Recipes

Popular Right Now

Reader Interactions

134 Comments

Leave a comment or reviewLeave a rating
  1. Eco-Vegan Gal says

Yum! That’s making me drool! : ) Gotta get a Vitamix, though I could make something similar with my juicer and blender…

2. Melissa says

If you can’t afford a vitamix, get a NINJA.

I make ice cream in my Ninja all the time.
    I made the PB ice cream easily. Just freeze peeled (never EVER unpeeled, it’s awful to peel a frozen banana!) chunks of banana. Add to Ninja when frozen solid, do your PB, splash of non-dairy milk so it processes well and blend.

The Ninja can handle ice, hard frozen fruit, etc.
    And it’s only about $40 at Target! I love this dang thing. I use it at least 3x a day. I use the blender pitcher to do my morning smoothie, the small processor to blend my oats and make banana ice cream at night. It also makes lovely sorbet with frozen fruit and a bit of milk/water and stevia. YUM. LOVE IT.

• Sheree says

I agree, Melissa! I, too, have a Ninja and I love it. You can get the whole big same kit they sell on TV/online at Costco now for $100. I have not seen it anywhere for $40. At our Target, it is $160 for the system. However, this is still a fraction of the cost of a Vitamix. I have had my Ninja for a year, and I use 1-3 times a day, every day, mostly for protein shakes and fruit smoothies.

3. Lulu says

Where I grew up there is a beautiful pink building that houses a Gelatoria that has over 200 hundred flavors (www.lacasagelato.com) all the time and are famous for their strange ones like Gorgonzola,Danelion, or Curried Corn. My favorite was always Bailey’s Irish Creme or the champagne sorbetto. This recipe is delightful – I like to add in a splash of oconut milk for that something extra in creamy flavour!

4. Sheree says

Had two frozen bananas in the freezer (as I always cut up and freeze bananas when they start to brown), so I made “half a batch” in the food processor. Only had to add about a TBSP of almond milk, and it was perfect. Just like PB Banana soft-serve. Another winner, Katie.

5. Linda Bonnell says

We purchased a Yonanas machine for Christmas last year. I bought one for my sister & one for myself. It makes ice cream out of frozen bananas plus you can add other frozen fruit with the bananas to change up the flavor. Amazing!!

6. Anonymous says

Okay, how ripe can your bananas be? I have some overly ripe – like brownish on the inside bananas but I still froze them…. How ripe is too ripe?

7. Tracey Feeger says

This is currently my dessert of choice recently. I made this but with more PB in the mix and only one banana at a time. I have tried it with frozen banana and mango. All yummo. Next I will be doing a mixed berry one. You can make your own Dairy free one with Coconut milk which is just as yummy too.

mwah
    Trace

8. Christina says

Hi Katie!
    I recently acquired a VitaMix from a friend and have been playing around with green smoothies. Everything always come out very warm. I’m afraid trying this ice cream in that, as apposed to my Ninja that I usually make ice creams in, would leave me with a soupy mess. What am I doing wrong?? I’d live to use the VitaMix for everything if I can get it figured out 🙂
    Thanks!!

9. Julian Kingman says

I’ve found you can use half banana/half ice (for reduced sugar), and put in pretty much anything else and get a good flavor of ice cream. Don’t use any water. I do this with protein powder sometimes, which makes it a healthy treat (and add Stevia if needed).
    It only works with a high power blender that has a tamper, though, because you’ve got to mash the stuff down until it’s uniform. As a side benefit of this, when you mash the contents with the tamper, it makes a very ice-creamy texture.

10. Kate says

The weirdest flavour ice cream I’ve seen but I didn’t try it because I didn’t like the sound of it, Was this crazy ice cream shop in the states and they had pizza ice cream!

11. Jay raj says

Very nice article..

12. Naman Modi says

Wonderful post Thank you for sharing this article. I’m definitely going to implement these suggestions on the recipe wherever I need to. Really helpful

13. Heather says

I so wanna eat peanut butter ice cream for dinner tonite, thankyou so much for sharing this yummy recipe… cannot just wait to try it 🙂

14. shanjames says

Really great post, Thank you for sharing this knowledge. An excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place.