How to use “brownie batter” and “vegetable serving” in the same sentence

The FDA recommends that people consume 9 servings of fruits and veggies per day, with at least one of those servings being leafy greens. What if I told you that you could knock off TWO servings of leafy green vegetables at breakfast, alone?

And, what if I told you that you could do this by… Eating Brownie Batter?!

You’d think I was crazy, right?

Well yes, I am crazy.  But that’s beside the point. The point is that a person shouldn’t have to sacrifice health for pleasure, nor pleasure for health.  You can have your cake brownie batter and eat it too!

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I subscribe wholeheartedly to this notion.  No way in heck am I’m giving up the foods I enjoy to start choking down shots of wheatgrass and vinegar.  (Nuthin’ against those few people who happen to like the taste of wheatgrass.  Have at it, peeps!) I’ve written before about my food philosophy. I try to always choose meal components I’m going to be excited to eat.  Life is short, so why waste it eating foods that are boring?  Sure, people who sacrifice taste for health may “live” a few extra years, but can it really be considered “living” at all if they aren’t enjoying their lives?  But on that same token, if one’s diet consists solely of doughnuts and fried chicken, his or her physical health will suffer, and that’s not an enjoyable life either.

So what to do?  Easy peasy!  Eat foods that taste sinful and yet are good for you.  Foods such as:

muff1

My 24 Carrot Cake Cupcakes or…

choc-straw

my Chocolate-Covered Berry Ice Cream or even…

my Peachy Green Ice Cream.

And now…

Brownie Batter Pancakes!

brownie pancakes

(Above, with ripe strawberries and Whole Foods unsweetened ricemilk)

And a close up of the chocolate pancakes:

chocolate pancakes

You can get a vegetable serving from these?!

Yup!  And by the way, the eight pancakes you see above constitute one serving of pancakes!  Someone asked me if I could start writing out the nutritional info for my recipes.  I’m not going to do that.  (A recipe should not be defined by numbers.  Also, I don’t usually calculate my recipes, but I did do this one because I was curious).  You can calculate it out for yourselves; I bet you’ll be absolutely amazed by the stats of these eight “brownie pancakes.”

For the recipe, Click here .

Tags:

1. brandi says:

you’re amazing 🙂 that plate of chocolate goodness is almost too much to look at!

2. Great post, Katie! I love your approach to food and life. 🙂

3. Maria says:

oh my goodness Katie that brownie batter looks amazing! Look at the chunks of chocolate in there!!!

I totally believe in eating tasty healthy foods too. I refuse to eat anything that is not tasty…although that may just be the picky little kid in me 😉

4. those look great!

so random- I NEVER keep eggs in my apartment but saw Ener-G the other day (IN SCOTLAND!) and was wondering if that would work well…hmmm.

Girl- you need to get over here to help me get my blender. I think I am going to take a frying pan from my mom too instead of charging “interest”.

5. Joanie says:

If only my pots and pans were unpacked! I would rush in and whip some of these up, stat!

6. ttfn300 says:

ok, i’m sold 🙂 looks amazing, and i can’t wait to try them!

7. Meg says:

I’m trying these ASAP! You’re a genius 🙂

Love,
    Meg

8. coco says:

those look amazing!!! Love your food philosophy! 🙂

9. Girl, you are RIDONKULOUS. These look amazing!

10. Anne K. says:

oh my GOSH. I have to make these! They look like…like chocolate paradise! Thanks for the recipe 🙂

11. Annabel says:

CCK – those brownie batter pancakes have gotten ME all wound up and I didn’t even eat them! YUMMY, get in my belly!

12. Ricki says:

As you know, I, too love veggies in sweet treats–hooray for brownie batter pancakes!

13. JB says:

once again, you amaze me. those look delicious! and i agree about how food shouldn’t be defined by numbers. calories are so unnecessary to life.

thanks for the brownie batter pancake recipe!

-JB

14. Jessica says:

Those look pretty tasty 🙂 I wish I could join in the pancake challenge, but my apartment is just too darn hot to slave over a hot pan — that’s ok, cause I get to drool over everyone else’s creations!! Mmmm!

15. Erin says:

OMG I calculated it out and you are right.

I DON’T BELIEVE IT!

I came up with about 200 calories for half the recipe even calculating in a lot of chocolate chips!

Did I do it right? And is your plate only one serving, or is the plate what the entire recipe makes?

16. *Andrea* says:

i think i’ve died and gone to heaven with this recipe! if i could have chocolate at every meal i would ;0)

17. Marianne says:

Those look like chocolate chocolate chip cookies. And I’d be all over eating cookies for breakfast, that’s for sure!

18. Shelby says:

I’m TOTALLY making this recipe! I have all the ingredients and I want some chocolate! =)