Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

How to use “brownie batter” and “vegetable serving” in the same sentence

The FDA recommends that people consume 9 servings of fruits and veggies per day, with at least one of those servings being leafy greens. What if I told you that you could knock off TWO servings of leafy green vegetables at breakfast, alone?

And, what if I told you that you could do this by… Eating Brownie Batter?!

You’d think I was crazy, right?

Well yes, I am crazy.  But that’s beside the point. The point is that a person shouldn’t have to sacrifice health for pleasure, nor pleasure for health.  You can have your cake brownie batter and eat it too!

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I subscribe wholeheartedly to this notion.  No way in heck am I’m giving up the foods I enjoy to start choking down shots of wheatgrass and vinegar.  (Nuthin’ against those few people who happen to like the taste of wheatgrass.  Have at it, peeps!) I’ve written before about my food philosophy. I try to always choose meal components I’m going to be excited to eat.  Life is short, so why waste it eating foods that are boring?  Sure, people who sacrifice taste for health may “live” a few extra years, but can it really be considered “living” at all if they aren’t enjoying their lives?  But on that same token, if one’s diet consists solely of doughnuts and fried chicken, his or her physical health will suffer, and that’s not an enjoyable life either.

So what to do?  Easy peasy!  Eat foods that taste sinful and yet are good for you.  Foods such as:

muff1

My 24 Carrot Cake Cupcakes or…

choc-straw

my Chocolate-Covered Berry Ice Cream or even…

my Peachy Green Ice Cream.

And now…

Brownie Batter Pancakes!

brownie pancakes

(Above, with ripe strawberries and Whole Foods unsweetened ricemilk)

And a close up of the chocolate pancakes:

chocolate pancakes

You can get a vegetable serving from these?!

Yup!  And by the way, the eight pancakes you see above constitute one serving of pancakes!  Someone asked me if I could start writing out the nutritional info for my recipes.  I’m not going to do that.  (A recipe should not be defined by numbers.  Also, I don’t usually calculate my recipes, but I did do this one because I was curious).  You can calculate it out for yourselves; I bet you’ll be absolutely amazed by the stats of these eight “brownie pancakes.”

For the recipe, Click here .

1. brandi says:

you’re amazing :) that plate of chocolate goodness is almost too much to look at!

2. Great post, Katie! I love your approach to food and life. :)

3. Maria says:

oh my goodness Katie that brownie batter looks amazing! Look at the chunks of chocolate in there!!!

I totally believe in eating tasty healthy foods too. I refuse to eat anything that is not tasty…although that may just be the picky little kid in me 😉

4. those look great!

so random- I NEVER keep eggs in my apartment but saw Ener-G the other day (IN SCOTLAND!) and was wondering if that would work well…hmmm.

Girl- you need to get over here to help me get my blender. I think I am going to take a frying pan from my mom too instead of charging “interest”.

5. Joanie says:

If only my pots and pans were unpacked! I would rush in and whip some of these up, stat!

6. ttfn300 says:

ok, i’m sold :) looks amazing, and i can’t wait to try them!

7. Meg says:

I’m trying these ASAP! You’re a genius :)

Love,
    Meg

8. coco says:

those look amazing!!! Love your food philosophy! :)

9. Girl, you are RIDONKULOUS. These look amazing!

10. Anne K. says:

oh my GOSH. I have to make these! They look like…like chocolate paradise! Thanks for the recipe :)

11. Annabel says:

CCK – those brownie batter pancakes have gotten ME all wound up and I didn’t even eat them! YUMMY, get in my belly!

12. Ricki says:

As you know, I, too love veggies in sweet treats–hooray for brownie batter pancakes!

13. JB says:

once again, you amaze me. those look delicious! and i agree about how food shouldn’t be defined by numbers. calories are so unnecessary to life.

thanks for the brownie batter pancake recipe!

-JB

14. Jessica says:

Those look pretty tasty :) I wish I could join in the pancake challenge, but my apartment is just too darn hot to slave over a hot pan — that’s ok, cause I get to drool over everyone else’s creations!! Mmmm!

15. Erin says:

OMG I calculated it out and you are right.

I DON’T BELIEVE IT!

I came up with about 200 calories for half the recipe even calculating in a lot of chocolate chips!

Did I do it right? And is your plate only one serving, or is the plate what the entire recipe makes?

16. *Andrea* says:

i think i’ve died and gone to heaven with this recipe! if i could have chocolate at every meal i would ;0)

17. Marianne says:

Those look like chocolate chocolate chip cookies. And I’d be all over eating cookies for breakfast, that’s for sure!

18. Shelby says:

I’m TOTALLY making this recipe! I have all the ingredients and I want some chocolate! =)

19. Michal Mymo says:

Katie those brownie batter pancakes looks delish – and super easy to make too! And chocolate cookie dough oatmeal well knock me down I love oatmeal! Your chopsticks and plate looks really pretty too :)

Michal

20. Gaby says:

Hey Katie!
    Those look so good! I love the chocolate chips added in :)
    I also wholeheartedly agree with your attitude towards food and I’m the same way. I truly do love my fruits and veggies and anything wholegrain but I can easily turn those good ingredients into decadent tastings meals.
    I don’t really buy those shake mixes since they’re expensive and I eat well anyways, but I’m all about mixing veggies into dessert foods!

I also just wanted to let you know of this cool product I picked up in france on my vacation since I know you love trying new things. They are adzuki bean flakes (flocons de adzuki) and they looked kind of like rolled oats so I cooked them like oatmeal with some sweet potato, raisins and pecans in almond milk with some maple syrup. It’s really good! They definitely have a bean texture when they cook up more than a grain but hey, sweet beans are good too! I have no idea where you’d find them around here, but if you do see them I highly recommend them. I’ll have to be somewhat stingy with the one pack I brought home until I see them again :\

Hope you’re doing splendidly! :)

– Gaby

21. Vegetation says:

Yum! They certainly look drool worthy!!

22. Tay says:

Holy Moly girlfriend. I’m making those ASAP! They look like chocolate chocolate-chip cookies!!

23. MizFit says:

it is hothothot up in herre.

*sits back and awaits her serving of the green ice cream*

24. nicole says:

that looks awesome too bad i alread had brekkie maybe dessert?

25. Emily says:

Oooh…brownie batter pancakes sound delicious! I love eating foods that taste great and are healthy. I can’t believe they contain a whole serving of veggies! Whoo-hooo!

I really need to make your carrot muffins this week. :-)

26. veganhomemade says:

Woah, they sure look great!

27. t says:

Those look fantastic! I’ve been forced to eat pancakes far more often ever since you started this contest… I had no choice in the matter whatsoever!

28. miss v says:

i’m in shear heaven, ma lady. i can’t stop staring at the deliciousness that you have bestowed upon us. a million thanks!

29. You really are the veggie queen!!!:) Veggies some how make their way into everything! I’m lovin it!:)

30. Diann says:

It honestly looks like a plate of chocolate chocolate chunk cookies. Who wouldn’t love to eat that and feel good doing so!

31. randomlymikey says:

no waaaayyyyy!!! those pancakes look too good!

32. Erin says:

Hey Katie, I’m just wondering if you saw my last comment. I left it on both posts but never saw an answer.

33. vegetalion says:

That peachy green ice cream makes me incredibly happy to look at.

34. Gaby says:

OK, I”ll post here too for the amazing grass giveaway since my blog is not food related at all (and I hardly update!) I”ve only tried the bar, which as I said, it’s ABSOLUTELY neccesary to carry tons of bars when I travel for work since, as it turns out, most people don’t eat 6 meals a day. Crazy, I know.
    But I think if I had some mix stuff I”d put it in banana soft serve! …On top of brownie batter pancakes of course.

35. Gina G says:

ive never tried amazing grass! but i have dying too! thankyou so much!

36. Olivia says:

I have never tried any amazing grass products! I would love to, they seem delicious and nutritious and amazing!

37. Charlotte says:

I’ve never tried any of the products, but I keep reading about their drink powders on nutrition/food blogs.

38. Gloria Michielli says:

I’ve tried the amazing meal original, chocolate and mango infusion and my favorite is definitely the mango. I’ve also had a chance to try the green superfood energy bars (very good too!) However, because I live in Vancouver Canada, I rarely get to try them. My boyfriend went to Seattle twice this year and bought them for me! Even those new Larabar flavours :) It would be great to try more of their products!

Thanks!

Gloria

39. Lori Z says:

I’ve only tried the Amazing Grass Mango Pomegranite. I tried mixing it in my oatmeal and didn’t like that. I usually mix it with Almond Breeze, spinach and fruit (frozen mango or banana) and it is really good then.

40. Michelle says:

I use the Amazing Wheat Grass in my morning smoothie snack. I combine almond milk, banana, PB2, ice and Wheat Grass. Delicious! I would love to try their other products!

41. Katherine Liu says:

I use the Amazing grass powder to add to my fruit and veggie smoothies, it makes it creamy and delicious. I would love to try some of their other products!

42. Diane says:

I use Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal in smoothies with vanilla soymilk, frozen banana, spinach, and almond butter or peanut butter – it’s delicious!!! :)

43. Sima says:

I’ve never had amazing grass, BUT i would looove to try it!!

44. Jax says:

I add the chocolate superfood powder to blended frozen bananas, it’s so good! And I actually really love the chocolate superfood bars, but they’re kind of expensive, so I’ll definitely be using the discount code! Thanks!

45. Sünne says:

I’ve never had the opportunity to try any of their products but I guess Brownie Batter Pancakes would be on top of the list :).

46. Anonymous says:

Wow, yum! I’ve never tried this chocolate superfood powder, i’m very intrigued

47. Catherine says:

I love using amazing grass in my green monsters! But brownie batter pancakes sound really good too!

48. Anonymous says:

I use Amazing Grass Chocolate Meal Powder in big smoothies. Soo delicious!