Sign up for NEW free healthy recipes - Currently over 300,000 subscribers!

Make. These. Now.

They’re raw.
They’re sinful sinless.
They’re delicious and totally addictive. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

RAW CHOCOLATE FUDGE BALLS  One of the most popular recipes from @choccoveredkt, with over 9,000 repins and 3,000 facebook likes! These are the original chocolate fudge balls - no added sugar, no baking required, and they taste like pure chocolate bliss! Full recipe here:

I love recreating dessert recipes.

But that’s no secret if you’ve read my page: About Chocolate-Covered Katie

A few weeks ago, after discovering they’re discontinuing one of my favorite energy bars (Clif Nectar) , I set out to try and recreate said chocolate bars.  With only five ingredients, it couldn’t be too difficult, could it? Well, as it turned out, the results didn’t taste like the packaged bars… mine tasted better!

Don’t let the diminutive size fool you; these babies are jam-packed with fudgey deliciousness.  More chocolatey than Clif Nectar bars, more chocolatey than Larabar Jocalats… it’s like popping balls of pure chocolate bliss straight into your mouth.  They’re so rich and decadent that even a tiny taste is enough to satisfy a skyscraper-sized chocolate craving.

But fudge babies are so healthy you don’t have to stop after a tiny taste. It’s hard to believe something so good for you—with zero added sugars and unnatural ingredients—can taste so sinful. (They also happen to be quite a bit less expensive than Jocalats, Nectars, and many other such chocolate bars.)

Chocolate Fudge Babies

Original Fudge Babies

(paleo fudge balls)

• 1 cup walnuts (120 g)
  • 1 and 1/3 cups pitted dates (220 g) (I often use SunMaid dates, which are super-soft.)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp cocoa or cacao powder
  • optional: 1/8 plus 1/16 tsp salt (I always add this)
  • optional: raw chocolate chips – recipe in the Chocolate-Covered Katie Cookbook

Blend all the ingredients, using a food processor, Magic Bullet, etc.  (No need to blend the dates first; I just blend everything all at once in a Cuisinart food processor, which works much better than a blender.) Roll into cutey-pie little balls.  (Use plastic wrap if you wish, or smush it all together in a plastic bag so it’ll stay together better.) Or, if you want true brownies, shape the dough into bars!

For a chocolate pie crust: press the dough down firmly into a pie pan.

Hot Cocoa Fudge Babies

I’ve been toying around with the original recipe.  Here is my newest-favorite variation: 30 grams cashews, 80 grams dates, 5 grams (1 tbsp) dark cocoa powder. Blend. (Add pure peppermint extract + cacao nibs if desired. Or leave out the cocoa powder, for a homemade cashew cookie Larabar!)
Let’s talk variations!

cookie bites

For a list of Fudge Baby Flavors, click the following: Homemade Larabars Recipes

Flavors include chocolate chip cookie dough, peanut butter, and even s’mores! Shown above are samoas girl scout cookie fudge babies.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1. Jessica says:

Ohmigosh these look amazing!

2. brandi says:

oh my goodness. They look amazing Katie!

3. Eliza says:

oh my goodness! these look A.M.A.Z.I.N.G ;)!!! I am totally making this fudge babies soon(love the name by the way so cute)
    you are so creative lovie, and these look fantastic, i just had a clif chocolate walnut nectar bar, love those, but these look so fun to eat and better 🙂

xx lots of love

4. peanutbutterfingers says:

those look fantastic!!! i bet they’d be a HUGE hit at a family party or thanksgiving… plus, they’re actually a great healthy lil’ snack! thanks for sharing such a yummy recipe.

5. Abby says:

Wow, Katie, those looks incredibly rich! I like how few ingredients there are AND that they are a lot cheaper than always buying lara’s and cliff’s! NICE WORK 🙂

6. Anonymous says:

Oh, yum! Raw energy balls are so delicious. I have never tried Nectar Clif bars but your variation looks amazing. Mmm… I’ll have to make some for our trip this weekend.

Do you think these fit in the category of liquids and gels or should I be able to take them on as food? I never know with American airport security – they scare me.

1. Hey Anonymous,

Ugh, airport security can be ridiculous, right? I mean, I know they have good intentions, but how on earth can, say, a jar of peanut butter be a dangerous item? Well… I guess it’s dangerous because it’s so easy to eat the whole jar and OD ;).

But to answer your question, I don’t see how anyone could classify the chocolate balls (or bars, if that’s how you choose to shape them) as liquids. They’re definitely solid.

7. Intensely, super, amazing, decadent chocolate!?!?! YES PLEASE! I will definitely be making these!

8. jcd says:

Oooh, my mouth is doing a happy dance just looking at those! I’ve never thought to add cocoa powder to raw energy balls before – you’re brilliant!

9. Wow! I am making these this weekend. My life needs this chocolate wonderfulness. 🙂

10. jen molica says:

right on, katie. will do this weekend and i WILL, i swear WILL post a picture of me hugging a carb. do these count? i think so since the sweet=a carb.

xo jen

11. vegancowgirl says:

Katie! THanks for this recipe – I am SOOO making these this week. Love all of the ingredients. Also, wanted to say THANKS for the frozen grape idea…finally got around to doing it and LOVE the results.

12. Nora says:

I was gonna say, haha it’s unfortunately not okay to give homemade stuff to trick or treaters bc you look sketchy! the sad truth that giving homemade healthy snacks is seen as creepy while giving cruelty-laden crap full of corn syrup is friendly and normal. 🙁 they’d be great for a party though!

13. Gina says: simple and so perfect. Reminds me of the Love Force bars I found a few weeks ago (but they are uber expensive).

I don’t have any dates though (I eat them all if they’re around), so I’ll have to pick some up for these because I have been super craving chocolate lately!!

14. First of all, I can’t believe they’re discontinuing Nectar bars!!! That blows!

But at least you made this awesome recipe to take their place. I’m seriously making these next raw day … if I can wait that long!

15. *Andrea* says:

fudge babies…how cute!! they look superrrfabulous.

16. Krista says:

Looking good, Katie!!!

17. Melinda says:

Sounds awesome. Nice work. Looks like you put a lot of effort into recreating and then perfecting the bar.

18. Daria @ Daria Can Cook says:

It’s official: you’re a genius. 🙂

19. Maria says:

Ack, Katie, I knew you would make something this awesome (as always!). Sounds amazing, simple, and chocolate covered for sure 😀 Aka perfecto!

20. maya says:

THESE LOOK AMazing!!! i just had for snack like 10 minutes ago a clif nectar chocolate walnut bar, what a coincidence? 🙂 these look so good so easy to make!
    mouth watering-ly chocolate-y-ness 😉 i am definatly making these asap! Cant wait! genus.