Healthy Breakfast Pizza

Sweet frosted healthy breakfast pizza, better known as a pizzert!

breakfast pizza

Pizzert/ noun.
Dessert pizza. A pizza topped with anything sweet. Bonus points for chocolate.

Imagine eating a giant pancake–and yes, you can eat the entire thing yourself. I frosted today’s breakfast pizza with homemade Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

And you might notice in the picture below that I kind of got hungry and ate some of the photoshoot.

Oops.

breakfast-pizza1

Breakfast Pizza Pizzert

Serves 2 …unless you want to eat the whole pizza so you can say “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing” like in the commercial!

• 1/2 cup spelt or white flour (or click for a Gluten-Free Version) (70g)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar OR 1/16 tsp uncut stevia
  • very scant 1/2 cup (100 g) water, juice, or milk of choice (1/2 cup minus 1 1/2 tbsp)
  • 2 tbsp oil or applesauce – or pumpkin, or even baby food!
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • cinnamon, spices, or extracts if you wish
  • A few handfuls ______ Fill in the blank! Raspberries? Blueberries? Chocolate chips? Chopped apple, walnuts, raisins? Anything goes!! It’s your pizzert!

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased pan. Make sure to grease well enough, or it’ll stick to the pan! Cook in an UNpreheated oven at 420 F for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then you get to play with toppings! The pictures below are of a breakfast blueberry pizza!

View Breakfast Pizza Nutrition Info

dessert pizza

blueberry pizza

I brought out the pizza cutter, just for the occasion.

pizzert

What would you put on your dessert pizza?

For more flavor ideas, see: Breakfast Pizza Flavor Ideas.

Tags: , , ,

1. VeggieGirl says:

Once again, your culinary creations amaze me!! Love the pizzert. I’d put brazil nut butter, cinnamon, and a drizzle of coconut oil on mine 🙂

2. McKella says:

Yum! I’m getting out of bed right now to make this!

3. Erin says:

Yum, yum, yum! I could use some creativity in my breakfast routine and this is just the thing. Going on the rotation this week.

4. Jenny says:

I’m thinking a carrot cake pizzert would be delish!

5. nelly says:

omg little lady…you have me drooling…looks so yummy…

i have a few ideas…chunky monkey variation…banana, choc chips, walnuts and coconut butter frosting…

or any fruity variation with coconut butter as frosting…

yummo!

6. Kelsey says:

i would kill to mix it with rice dream ice cream and eat it up 😛 yummy

7. Evan Thomas says:

I would make the elvis pizert and add some tempeh bacon 😛

8. stratgtar565 says:

Here’s my modified recipe (I can never leave them alone, y’know):

1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
    1 TBSP Raw Turbinado Sugar
    1 TBSP Vital Wheat Gluten
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinamon
    1 Mashed Banana
    1/2 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first five ingredients in a bowl. Mash the banana in a seperate bowl with the rest of the ingredients, then add to the dry. Bake in 350 degree oven for around 9 – 11 minutes. Or, longer if you don’t want it soft.

9. Marisa says:

OOooh yummy, loving the choc chip cookie and the Elvis pizzert ideas. Not such a big berry fan… 😉

What about a carrot cake pizzert? Almost couldn’t believe you didn’t add that – everyone knows how you love carrot cake!

Or a apple pie pizzert? Top with caramelised apples, raisins and cream/evaporated milk.

10. She-Fit says:

WOW! This recipe looks amazing and low in calorie… a must try 🙂

11. NOTE:

Technical issues (completely my fault) forced me to re-publish this post. The content of the post is once again intact.

I wasn’t able to save the 140 comments and 69 trackbacks, many of which had some great variation ideas and reader feedback about the recipe. However, you can still see all of the original comments and get to the reader links here:

Sorry for the trouble. (And word of advice: don’t try to change permalinks if you don’t know what you’re doing!)

12. Jennifer says:

This looks so good! Could I use spelt flour instead of whole wheat pastry?

13. Toni says:

Hi Katie! I absolutely love your blog! I finally decided to give the pizzert a try- do I halved the recipe, cooked it, yet it turned out more like a delicious pancake. Is this normal?

1. Toni says:

I relooked at the recipe, turns out I added an extra tablespoon applesauce. This might explain things.
      Oops!!! It was still really yummy, just not pizza cakey. 🙂

14. Katherine says:

Does it change the recipe immensely if you use whole wheat flour as opted to pastry flour? This recipe is something I definitely want to try! YUM!

1. Alyssa says:

I actually did this with whole wheat flour instead of pastry flour. I didn’t realize that there was really a difference lol. Still turned out really yummy, but it was more cakey.

15. Hannah Jones says:

Hey Katie! I am the oldest of eight siblings and we love finding easy, healthy alternatives for meals. I just made this for breakfast and they loved it! I made mine substituting 1/2 cup of ground oats for the flour and it turned out really good. My topping was some dried cranberries and a few chocolate chips. Thank you for this easy, tasty recipe! 🙂

16. Shannon says:

Would it be wise to sub out the 2tbs of banana, applesauce, etc? For like.. water? Or nothing at all?

17. bob says:

Mmm breakfast pizza…for dessert.
    I just made this, changing some of the ingredients to suit my intollerances and my mood (I made my version ‘gingerbread-y’ using gingerbread spices = ]). It was still too wet/gummy after baking for 20 minutes, but I did change quite a few things. Just wondering, how moist is the inside of the base supposed to be? (For anyone who has made this). I would just like to know what I’m aiming for next time I make this…

18. Hannah Jones says:

Hey Bob!
    I’m not sure how it turns out for others, but to answer your question, when I use ground oatmeal instead of whole wheat flower mine tends to turn out more sponge like. When I use whole wheat flour it turns out more bread like. For example, today I made one that used pumpkin purée instead of banana, water instead of milk, and then I added nutmeg, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. The batter had a thicker consistency to it and the end result turned out very similar to pumpkin bread. I think It largely depends on the liquid that you use, since the times that I have made it with milk instead of water it had a different consistency. Hope this helps!

19. Lucy says:

What type of coconut oil do you use? (:

1. Unrefined… usually Whole Foods brand, because it’s the cheapest. 🙂

1. Lucy says:

Thankyouu 🙂 and is it more of a liquid or is it thick like coconut butter? I get confused on which I should be using, the thick consistency or the liquid :s

20. tera says:

I made something with almost the exact ingredients (except 1/2 cup applesauce and a little bit of water, instead of the oil), put it in the microwave, and it was a cake! so I can’t wait to try this as a pie. 🙂 great minds think alike!