Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Healthy Breakfast Pizza

It’s a pizzert!

Pizzert/ noun.
Dessert pizza. A pizza topped with anything sweet. Bonus points for chocolate.

breakfast pizza

Above with Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting.

Breakfast Pizza Pizzert

Serves 2 …unless you want to eat the whole pizza so you can say “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing” like in the commercial!

• 1/2 cup spelt or white flour (or click for a Gluten-Free Version) (70g)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tbsp sugar OR 1/16 tsp uncut stevia
  • very scant 1/2 cup (100 g) water, juice, or milk of choice (1/2 cup minus 1 1/2 tbsp)
  • 2 tbsp oil or applesauce – or pumpkin, or even baby food!
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • cinnamon, spices, or extracts if you wish
  • A few handfuls ______ Fill in the blank! Raspberries? Chocolate chips? Chopped apple, walnuts, raisins? Anything goes!! It’s your pizzert!

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased pan. Make sure to grease well enough, or it’ll stick to the pan! Cook in an UNpreheated oven at 420 F for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then you get to play with toppings! The pictures below are of a breakfast blueberry pizza!

View Breakfast Pizza Nutritional Info

dessert pizza

blueberry pizza

I brought out the pizza cutter, just for the occasion.

What would you put on your dessert pizza?

For more flavor ideas, see: Breakfast Pizza Flavor Ideas.

Tags: , ,

1. VeggieGirl says:

Once again, your culinary creations amaze me!! Love the pizzert. I’d put brazil nut butter, cinnamon, and a drizzle of coconut oil on mine :)

2. McKella says:

Yum! I’m getting out of bed right now to make this!

3. Erin says:

Yum, yum, yum! I could use some creativity in my breakfast routine and this is just the thing. Going on the rotation this week.

4. Jenny says:

I’m thinking a carrot cake pizzert would be delish!

5. nelly says:

omg little lady…you have me drooling…looks so yummy…

i have a few ideas…chunky monkey variation…banana, choc chips, walnuts and coconut butter frosting…

or any fruity variation with coconut butter as frosting…

6. Kelsey says:

i would kill to mix it with rice dream ice cream and eat it up 😛 yummy

7. Evan Thomas says:

I would make the elvis pizert and add some tempeh bacon 😛

8. stratgtar565 says:

Here’s my modified recipe (I can never leave them alone, y’know):

1/2 cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
    1 TBSP Raw Turbinado Sugar
    1 TBSP Vital Wheat Gluten
    1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp cinamon
    1 Mashed Banana
    1/2 cup vanilla unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine first five ingredients in a bowl. Mash the banana in a seperate bowl with the rest of the ingredients, then add to the dry. Bake in 350 degree oven for around 9 – 11 minutes. Or, longer if you don’t want it soft.

9. Marisa says:

OOooh yummy, loving the choc chip cookie and the Elvis pizzert ideas. Not such a big berry fan… 😉

What about a carrot cake pizzert? Almost couldn’t believe you didn’t add that – everyone knows how you love carrot cake!

Or a apple pie pizzert? Top with caramelised apples, raisins and cream/evaporated milk.

10. She-Fit says:

WOW! This recipe looks amazing and low in calorie… a must try :)

11. NOTE:

Technical issues (completely my fault) forced me to re-publish this post. The content of the post is once again intact.

I wasn’t able to save the 140 comments and 69 trackbacks, many of which had some great variation ideas and reader feedback about the recipe. However, you can still see all of the original comments and get to the reader links here:

Sorry for the trouble. (And word of advice: don’t try to change permalinks if you don’t know what you’re doing!)

12. Jennifer says:

This looks so good! Could I use spelt flour instead of whole wheat pastry?

13. Toni says:

Hi Katie! I absolutely love your blog! I finally decided to give the pizzert a try- do I halved the recipe, cooked it, yet it turned out more like a delicious pancake. Is this normal?

1. Toni says:

I relooked at the recipe, turns out I added an extra tablespoon applesauce. This might explain things.
      Oops!!! It was still really yummy, just not pizza cakey. :)

14. Katherine says:

Does it change the recipe immensely if you use whole wheat flour as opted to pastry flour? This recipe is something I definitely want to try! YUM!

1. Alyssa says:

I actually did this with whole wheat flour instead of pastry flour. I didn’t realize that there was really a difference lol. Still turned out really yummy, but it was more cakey.

15. Hannah Jones says:

Hey Katie! I am the oldest of eight siblings and we love finding easy, healthy alternatives for meals. I just made this for breakfast and they loved it! I made mine substituting 1/2 cup of ground oats for the flour and it turned out really good. My topping was some dried cranberries and a few chocolate chips. Thank you for this easy, tasty recipe! :)

16. Shannon says:

Would it be wise to sub out the 2tbs of banana, applesauce, etc? For like.. water? Or nothing at all?

17. bob says:

Mmm breakfast pizza…for dessert.
    I just made this, changing some of the ingredients to suit my intollerances and my mood (I made my version ‘gingerbread-y’ using gingerbread spices = ]). It was still too wet/gummy after baking for 20 minutes, but I did change quite a few things. Just wondering, how moist is the inside of the base supposed to be? (For anyone who has made this). I would just like to know what I’m aiming for next time I make this…

18. Hannah Jones says:

Hey Bob!
    I’m not sure how it turns out for others, but to answer your question, when I use ground oatmeal instead of whole wheat flower mine tends to turn out more sponge like. When I use whole wheat flour it turns out more bread like. For example, today I made one that used pumpkin purée instead of banana, water instead of milk, and then I added nutmeg, cinnamon, and chopped pecans. The batter had a thicker consistency to it and the end result turned out very similar to pumpkin bread. I think It largely depends on the liquid that you use, since the times that I have made it with milk instead of water it had a different consistency. Hope this helps!

19. Lucy says:

What type of coconut oil do you use? (:

1. Unrefined… usually Whole Foods brand, because it’s the cheapest. :)

1. Lucy says:

Thankyouu :) and is it more of a liquid or is it thick like coconut butter? I get confused on which I should be using, the thick consistency or the liquid :s

20. tera says:

I made something with almost the exact ingredients (except 1/2 cup applesauce and a little bit of water, instead of the oil), put it in the microwave, and it was a cake! so I can’t wait to try this as a pie. :) great minds think alike!

21. Chelsea Eum says:

What size pan did you use?? I used a round cake pan and it was way too big!! :/

22. Melozi says:

Ohhh… so pretty. I imagine I’m going to have to try this in my cast iron skillet just to get lovely rustic look for brunch this weekend!

23. Laura says:

I just realized that I have all the ingredients for this… I will be making it soon!

24. laura says:

Does this have the consistency of a cookie, or is it harder?

25. Claire says:

Just made this with blueberries and almond extract- amazing! This is my new favorite from your blog!

26. Marina says:

Katie PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE find a way to turn something like this or the pancake batter into waffles!

27. Allie says:

I calculated this recipe as having at least 230 calories per half. This isn’t the only recipe on your blog that is not entirely accurate as far as nutritional information goes. Love your recipes, but that could use some work.

1. Hi Allie,
      I double check all my nutrition information and stand behind it as being accurate. Do remember that–as is standard practice in cookbooks–optional ingredients are not included unless otherwise noted.

28. Leah says:

This looks so good! Only I don’t have pastry flour. I have all purpose flour and regular wheat flour. Would either of those work?

29. Anna says:

Oh my god! You made my life so much easier! I love your blog!

30. Amanda Cowan says:

I have a circle silicone mat that goes into cake pans. I bet it would work awesome with this. And yes, I’m pretty sure that means i’ll have to try this soon! Actually, my hubby’s birthday is on Friday and one of his favorite desserts that his mom used to make him is fruit pizza. This would make an excellent surprise for breakfast that day.

31. Diane says:

Hi Katie
    I LOVE your website and recipes! I made the breakfast pizza and it came out great. I did replace the flour with the same amount of Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free All Purpose baking mix. My only question is – should the batter come out like a ball of pizza dough? Mine did. It was not pourable by any means. I had to press it into the pie plate and stretch it a little. Either way, it came out great and would make a great shortcake. Thank you!

32. Laura says:

Mmmmm…I bought the pastry flour just to make this 😉 I put peaches and cream on one half and am planning on doing something chocolatety for the other to feed to my friend.

33. Cali says:

Looks SO good!!! I want to grab it out of the screen! :) I can’t wait to try. =D

34. Sarah says:

If you take this recipe and instead of baking it you put all the batter into a large pan and let cook as if it was an omelette. Ahh and then you put whatever you want inside it (I went with PB&J) and then close it up just like an omelette. It’s soooo good, its a cake omelette!!!

1. Sarah says:

Thank you!!!! I love your blog so much, it inspires me to eat healthily and all the recipes are absolutely genius!

35. veggielizzy says:

I made this 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of nutmeg and a splash of molasses for a “gingerbread” version. I topped it with the cream cheese icing. I think it will be a great dessert for the holiday season!

36. Yvette says:

That looks delicious! It reminds me of my 5th grade graduation when my teacher made us something very very similar and called it fruit pizza. I can’t wait to try this!

37. Nikki says:

Can you please tell me what the “icing” is made from? Thanks very much :-)

38. Lily says:

KATIE! I just made it taste as good as an apple pie! Oh my goodness! It was so amazing I cannot even explain how good it is; you just have to try it! I got the idea from Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives. What you do is make the batter (I make it with spelt flour, water, 1/16tsp uncut stevia, applesauce, and cinnamon). Then you peel and slice an apple into thin slices and put a packet of stevia, cinnamon, and nutmeg on the apple slices. Then you spray a frying pan and put the apples (not the batter) in the pan. Once they are done (not completely soft just a little soft. They will be baked after all) pour the batter on top. Spread evenly and put in the unpreheated oven (420) and bake for 7 min. Once it is done flip the “pie” on a plate (so the apple side is up) and eat it up! I didn’t top it with anything, but it would be good with “ice cream” on top. Katie, it was so good. I mean REALLY good. One of the best things I have ever tasted, and I am not vegan. I am so proud of myself too because I thought it would turn into a complete disaster! 😀

39. Loki says:

This looks so good! How do you bake in a non-preheated oven though? I’m novice so a step by step would really help! I wanna make this so bad!

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Only turn the oven on when you put the dish into it, not before.

40. peach says:

Who else ate the whole thing? (BTW I used ground oats instead of flour, and it worked perfect!)

41. Hayley says:

Which of your breakfast recipes would you most recommend before a big soccer game? I was thinking about this but is there a better or more protein filled option?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Try her peanut butter breakfast pudding!

42. Lindsay says:

This recipe was awesome! I used blueberry greek yogurt instead of applesauce and mashed half of a banana into the mixture. Then I topped it with the rest of the banana, peanut butter, and jelly! So tasty!

43. Leah says:

Just made one with dried figs and almond! Sooo good!!! Made your frosting recipe to go with it but it didn’t exactly make it onto the pizza…

44. Erin says:

i thin this would make a great breakfast thing with cream cheese and fruit

45. Jo says:

i love this recipe!
    i have to work with my substitutions a bit, i used whole wheat flour because i was trying to finish off the bag but i hate its consistency with everything so it came out kind of gummy as usual. not the recipe’s fault at all. subbed the applesauce with some greek yogurt. and i think i’ll use less baking powder next time! i still really enjoyed it, cant imagine how itll taste when its ‘perfected’ 😀

46. What is the reason for cooking in an unpreheated oven?

47. KAREN F says:

what kind of pan is that you’ve used? is it a standard size (8 or 9″) pie pan?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Yes, 8 inch round.

48. Ruby says:

I just made this with Bobs brown rice flour. It was all i had, but it actually came out pretty good! I added cinnamon and it was really good. ! :)

49. Faith says:

My kids and I love this recipe! Definitely more like a pancake than a pizza – plan to eat it with a fork. I love how fast and easy it is to whip up. I’ve had success using just 1 tbsp of coconut sugar and it’s plenty sweet. I’ve also come up with a pumpkin pie variation – I reduce the oil and milk each by 1 tbsp and add 2 tbsp of canned pumpkin plus 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. I might try keeping the oil at 2tbsp and reducing the milk by another next time.

50. Lindsey says:

Can you use soy flour instead of whole wheat flour? I want to use soy because of the protein content, plus it’s about 30 calories less for 1/4 a cup!

51. Nicole says:

I used lemon extract and craisins in the pizza and vanilla greek yogurt for the top. Yum!

52. Sarah Kelly says:

:O I can’t wait to try this! Would this be possible with oat flour?

53. Karen says:

Does anyone have a dairy, wheat, gluten, soy, egg free version of this? I have so many intolerances it has become difficult to find breakfast items to eat besides fruit and oatmeal.

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Why not use the gluten-free link Katie has posted directly in this post? It seems to fit all of the things you need it to be :-)

54. Faith says:

I make this ALL THE TIME for my kids. It just occurred to me, could I pour into muffin cups (regular or mini) and bake? What would you recommend for the baking time? I usually make this recipe in a glass pie pan and bake for 12-13 minutes.

55. Danielle says:

After all this time, this is still one of my favorites of yours. I love to go crazy with the toppings! I like to put yogurt on it and crumble a Quaker Cookies and Cream granola bar over it with some berries.

56. yum says:

im thinking this could work for lunch, too!