Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Mondo Zucchini Burrito

zucchini burritos

Tortilla stuffed with No-Name Zucchini.

Mondo Zucchini Burritos

(Makes 2 burritos)

• 4 medium zucchini, sliced into coins
  • high-quality olive oil (Be sure to store olive oil in a dark container. It loses health benefits when exposed to light)
  • 3-4 tsp minced garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste (I like about 1/2 tsp salt, but you can use less if you normally don’t use much salt)
  • optional beans or other veggies
  • 2 warm tortillas

Heat a pan over high heat for about a minute before putting anything in.  Then add the oil, quickly followed by the garlic and then the zucchini and salt (and pepper, if using). Try not to stir too often, and do not add any water. Once the zucchini has turned translucent (as shown in the photos), remove from the pan and place in the middle of the tortillas. Roll up and devour!

zucchini tortillas

Unfortunately, the zucchini decided to pull a Heidi Montag (who claims she doesn’t like hugs) and escape the embrace of poor Mr. well-meaning tortilla wrap.  Mid-bite, they tumbled out of the warm, bready blanket.  Oh the sting of rejection…

Starting tomorrow, the zucchini bunch will be attending couples’ therapy. Maybe, if they’re lucky, they’ll get Queen Latifah.

queen latifah therapist

1. Marina says:

your wrap looks so delicious, and the whole meal too…
    can’t wait to do a hug-a-fat picture 😀

2. Katie says:

Yummm. Zucchini is my favorite summer vegetable, it’s always so plentiful during the warm months, I will for sure make this in the upcoming weeks! Thanks for the great idea.

3. Rachel says:

Oh wow your last sentence made me laugh! I loved that movie!!!

4. abby says:

oh katie, i’ve seen this movie like 100 times. i thought it would be bad, but really its one of my favorites. i especially like the happy ending, because i’m sappy like that :)

5. Inspired says:

Yum, Katie, I had garlic zucchini at dinner last night and thought of you :).

6. That looks like my kind of meal! Cauliflower mash, anything wrapped in a tortilla, mandarins, and chocolate- yum!

7. Sarahishealthy says:

LOL laughing about Paola and the weather. I wish we could have chocolate rain too! Good idea, Paola!

8. abby,
    I was the same way– very reluctant to watch. But it definitely exceeded expectations :)

9. Mary says:

My burritos nnever want to stay closed either! So sad that they reject hugs like that.

10. Mary says:

Oops, I meant “never”.

11. Now that’s my kind of lunch!! :)

I saw that movie a few weeks ago and thought it was cute and funny. I’m not usally a fan of Ms. Diaz but she was hilarious!

12. Anonymous says:

how can people call you anorexic? look at how much you eat! i am in recovery, but when i was anorexic, i can tell you i’d probably have the cauliflower and oranges, and that would be my lunch. keep posting your inspiring meals, girl. you have no idea how much it helps people like me!

13. anonymous,
    Wow, thank you so much for your kind words. They put a huge smile on my face :).

14. Jessica says:

Hi Katie, Love the blog! I was wondering what brand of tortillas do you use? Thanks!

15. Valerie says:

Trick for burritos that stay together: Make them ahead of time and put them in the fridge, wrapped in wax paper. P.S. I’m making your carrot cupcakes for the kiddies today!

16. That wrap looks so great- I also love this hug-a-fat month thing you’re into- it’s a little bit funny and a whole lotta great!

17. eatandrun says:

Thanks for the movie recommendation! And thanks, Valerie, for the burrito idea. I’m going to try it :).

18. looks like a great meal! I never thought of just a zucchini burrito!

I should add this movie to our netflix queue. I had wanted to see it with some friends when it was in the theater and then have totally forgotten about it since then!

19. Olive says:

Yum! Looks delish :)

20. Jenny says:

That’s my favorite chocolate! And I, too, have issues with falling apart tortillas :(.

21. Jess says:

Queen Latifah is great. Have you seen her in “Last Holiday”?

22. zuchinni burrito! wow..hmm interesting! im actually loving the idea girl! o and u know chocolate is dark when they put EXTREME on the label lol :)

23. Burrito looks delish Katie, and honestly, I would have loved to dump the zucchini onto the cauliflower and eat it all together scooped into the tortilla. In other words, I’m glad things got a little messy.

Never been to Vegas either, but I would love to go to hike some of the canyons located nearby.

24. I’m having a burrito tonight, and this post makes me wish I had a zucchini to add to the mix. So far I’ve got rice, black beans, bell peppers, onions, garlic, and LOTS of avocado and hot sauce. So, I”m definitely hugging my tasty fats tonight!

25. Beth says:

That zucchini looks seriously delicious. yum!

26. I just love your big ole plates of food! And two pieces of chocolate?! Hell yes.

27. Kate says:

I love the idea of chocolate rain. Sign me up for that :) :).

28. Danielle says:

My wraps fall apart all the time lol. There’s just too many veggies I wanna cram in there!

Hmmm…zucchini italia? Zesty zucchini? Zuke me? lol

29. That wrap does look full of those healthy fats, yup! I’ll have to give that a try.

30. Damjana says:

I make tortillas myself and they are like a thicker pancake, they don’t fall apart..a trick with ordinary tortillas would be to put the burrito in a pan and bake it a bit on one side and then on the other side, like canneloni. After all it matters more how they taste!

31. Ilana says:

this is potentially the best-looking wrap ive ever seen. inner beauty!!

32. Marianne says:

I’ve basically never been to Vegas either. Technically, we drove through when we were on a road trip to Disneyland when I was 8. We were going to stay there, but we couldn’t find a hotel room, so we went on to Reno. Did I mention I was 8? Yeah…I need to go as an adult.

33. Rachel says:

huh- I really didn’t mean my olive oil question meanly- was mainly just puzzled as you didn’t answer what I asked the first time (and I know you’re smart so you have good reading comprehension!) for whatever reason. I know you’re busy, so I’m assuming that’s why. Anyway, the reason I asked was because throughout your recipes, whenever you spoke of making a recipe, you said that you happened to have used water or broth. I couldn’t find a single instance of you saying that you used oil (and there may be, I didn’t search through every single one, but there were many where you stated you happened to have used water), even though you always gave the option to others. and that puzzled me- that you never mentioned personally using it. I don’t think I ever said that you definitely don’t use it. but hey, I’m really glad you addressed it directly and if I in any way had any role in hug-a-fat month, and getting a bunch of girls who were scared of using any fats to start using some, as seems the result of your post, then awesome!

34. *Andrea* says:

yay i love your meal pics :-) the dark chocolate squares look great! as does the cauliflower… i like that u mentioned using a fork because i am the laziest chef ever lol

35. Andrea,
    heehee we can be co-laziest chefs ever. I’m so lazy that, if I see a recipe I like, I’ll often stop thinking about making it if it has more than 5 ingredients :-/

36. Rachel,
    You were not the only one who asked; I think like 5 people asked on formspring, and people have asked in the past as well. I just don’t understand why it matters so much what I, personally, use. Everyone else needs to do what works best for THEM :). And hug-a-fat is not a slight at you either; I’ve had this planned since the hug-a-carb month.

37. Marianne,
    Let’s take a road trip together!! I’ll bring the chocolate!
    Ad hey, it’s summer, so we won’t even have to worry about missing our hockey games ;).

38. Rachel says:

haha no I don’t think it’s a slight; like I said I genuinely think it’s awesome that you did this.
    I think people are curious what you eat since it does seem to be a very central part of this blog- it IS mostly about eating healthy foods, right? you post pictures of the food you eat very often in here, I think it’s natural people be like, “wow, that looks amazing, and she says how yummy it was. I would like to recreate that just like she did!” I honestly wouldn’t take all the curiosity as jabs… I think people (at least me, anyway) are simply genuinely curious about how a food blogger (and one with such healthy looking hair and nails!) eats! I bet other food bloggers deal with the exact same thing– questions like, “WOW that looks great, please tell me exactly how YOU made it!”

39. Thanks for the sweet comment, Rachel :).
    99% of the time, I’m thinking oil probably tastes better than water in a recipe… but if you ever think to put coconut oil in a cold pudding, don’t do it!!! Learn from my mistake lol. It solidifies and you get little pieces–yucky.

40. Jackie says:

This is very delicious and super easy to make. To help keep them in the tortilla I used a small sprinkling of vegan cheese. Katie you have a knack for coming up with “why didn’t I think of those” recipes. Thank you!

41. Nance says:

Looks good, but I’d love this more if I replaced 1/2 of the zucchini with sliced and sauteed onions.