How to Milk an Oat

First, position yourself so that you’re under the oat. Next, pull really hard. Really hard.
Ok, backtrack. Milking an oat is nothing like milking a cow!
So many of you were interested in the Raw Cashew Milk the other day that I figured it’s high time to post another “milk” recipe onto which I’ve been holding: Liquid Oatmeal, also known as oatmeal milk.

znyc 774

Oh look, it’s yet another oatmeal recipe to add to my “oatmeal recipes” tab.

Goodness knows it’s getting crowded over there.
Liquid Oatmeal (i.e. “Oatmeal Milk”)
Makes a little over 2 cups

• 1 serving oats, or spelt flakes, kamut flakes, oat bran, etc. (40g uncooked)
  • 1 and 3/4 cup water
  • 1 cup more water (or a non-dairy milk)
  • salt
  • optional: fruit, sweetener, extracts

Cook the oats, with 1 and 3/4 cup liquid and a little salt (I use just under 1/4 tsp) for 4 minutes, watching so it doesn’t boil over. Fridge, uncovered (It looks soupy, but that’ll evaporate). The next day, transfer to your blending gadget (such as a Magic Bullet short cup) with more liquid, depending on how thick you want the final result. (I use 1 and 1/8 cup water.) Also, add any optional ingredients and a tiny sprinkle of salt. Blend.

This milk is great as a smoothie base. Imagine: drinking an oatmeal smoothie!! It’s also a terrific dairy-milk substitute for recipes, or you can drink it plain. And, thanks to the oats, the recipe offers fiber, protein, and numerous vitamins. But I eat so much oatmeal as it is, that when I make this particular recipe, I often stick to spelt flakes or kamut for variety. I’ve even tried it with oat bran, which is really yummy. (When I make it with oat bran, I add fruit and eat it in a bowl; it’s kinda like a whipped Cream of Wheat pudding.)

Try it with cookies…

ccc

Above, three little Raw Chocolate Chip cookies.

They’re awaiting an oatmeal-milk bath!

Have you ever tried oatmilk? And what’s your favorite milk substitute?

I tried commercial oatmilk once, a long time ago. But it was way too sweet for me. Why on earth do they feel a need to stick 20 grams of sugar into a serving of non-dairy milk to make it taste good? Is that really necessary?  (Yes, I’m aware that the above recipe isn’t raw. Here’s my Raw Oatmilk recipe.)

Tags:

1. Danielle says:

haha the first few sentences made me laugh! Once, a guy [stranger to me] was going through our fridge and he came across my almond milk and was like “How…do you milk…an almond?!” I thought it was hilarious.

And I’ve never tried oat milk but I need to get on that!

2. That’s a great recipe!
    I’ve had commercially produced oatmilk, which was real nice :)
    soya is probably my favourite, but I don’t drink it cosI get enough soy as it is :s I like almond milk but that’s waaaay exspensive so I stick to my pressed cocnut milk :)

3. abby says:

i’ve always been annoyed by that too! ALL the commercial no-dairy milks have like 20 grams of sugar, unless they’re unsweetened. i wish there were some middle ground. your “liquid oatmeal” sound amazing.

i especially like your idea to use it as a smoothie base. i’m thinking liquid chocolate-strawberry oatmeal!!! :) :) :)

4. Justine says:

I have had the commercial oat milk also, and while it was tasty, it was rather sweet. I am eager to try this though! It sure beats spending $4 on almond milk that is sweetened and lacking iin the protien department! It would go great with some raw dessert, I should think….

1. Hehehe some raw pistachio ice cream, perhaps? From a certain cookbook? 😉

5. What an awesome idea!! I do love my Almond Breeze but I bet this would be delicious. I can dunk some yummy cookies in it.

Thank you AGAIN for doing a guest post! You are very sweet :)

6. I haven’t tried oatmilk but would love to try it after seeing this post! My favorite milk substitute is definitely unsweetened vanilla almond milk :) I use it all the time!

7. I’ve never tried oatmilk but have wanted to..but I can’t imagine there’d be any protein in it. My favorite milk sub for a long time was soy until I realize I *may* have a slight intolerance to it. So right now I’m drinking Lactaid. I know it’s not a milk substitute but it seems to not hurt my tummy 😛

1. Oh but there IS protein in it! Surprisingly, just 1/3 cup raw oats has 6 grams of protein :).

8. Jessica says:

I’m all about almond milk. I’ve tried oat milk, commercial and homemade, and it just wasn’t my cup of tea. I think you reeeally have to love oatmeal, lol!

9. Gena says:

Great recipe! I’ve always wondered about homemade grain milk.

10. I don’t know why but cooked oat milk always tastes kind of slimy to me, just can’t do it. But I love raw oat milk!! I’ll take a cookie though please.

11. Yum! I love the packaged oat milks, but I haven’t them in forever…and since I’ve switched to unsweetened soymilk, I bet the sweet oat milk would be too sweet for me. I’ll have to try makin’ my own. I wish I had a Magic Bullet…

12. Jo says:

Yummy! This is funny because today I posted a recipe for making coconut milk out of shredded coconut! I couldn’t believe how great it turned out. Gonna try your oat milk recipe next for sure! I’ve never tried commercial oat milk and can rarely afford anything other than soy. Although sometimes I splurge on almond milk or rice milk, which tastes just like rice pudding to me!

1. *Rushes off to see about this coconut milk…*

13. mckella says:

I’ll have to try that. I usually use almond milk, but I really want to try cashew milk. I hate soy milk and I’ve only had rice milk in Orchata. I’m still exploring the world of plant-based milk.

14. Kelsey says:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

lol excuse me while i go milk some of my oats.
    okay okay. laughter aside. oat milk is amazing.. as a kid i would soak my oats in water and drink the liquid.. little did i know that eventually id be grinding them in a blender and creating an actually oat milk 😉

xoxo

15. Britta says:

awesome! thank you!

16. 40apples says:

Super idea! Never tried commercial but obviously I wouldn’t dream of it, having this recipe around!

Fave milk is almond, unsweetened vanilla.

17. Little Bookworm says:

Great recipe! I’ve tried oat milk before. :)

18. Christyn @ All Ways Nutritious says:

brilliant!! i haven’t tried oat milk and i to think it will be great in smoothies. thank you.

19. Kiki says:

My favorite non-dairy milk is hemp milk. But it’s super expensive so I’ve been looking for a recipe for another type, and your oatmilk one looks great!

20. Katelyn says:

I’ve never tried oatmilk, but I do love my oats! I’ll have to try this soon :)

Oats and other hot cereals are some of my favorite sources of protein – but recently I job-shadowed a dietitian who said that grains “are not considered a protein” (gasp!). I was shocked to say the least!

1. Maybe she meant that they aren’t considered a protein on the food guide pyramid? Certainly, it can’t be contested that they have protein and thus contribute to one’s daily protein needs.

1. Katelyn says:

Surprisingly, she told me that she doesn’t consider whole grains to contribute any protein at *all*! Maybe she should eat more oatmeal :)

1. “Eat more oatmeal” haha the cure for everything. I have no idea how she could say that something proven to have protein really doesn’t. But I guess we’re all entitled to our own opinions! I’ve never had a problem getting enough protein, even though I hardly eat any tofu/soy/meat analogs… so the grains must be doing their job for me ;).