Eat Babies, Save the World

**Edit: The bidding is now over.**

Congratulations to Diana (thetreadmilldiaries.com) for bidding $100 for the fudge babies! All of the money will go to support Cancer Research. Thank you so much to everyone who bid!

Sounds kinda backwards, doesn’t it? No, I’m not talking about that controversial (and super-creepy) movement to legalize cannibalism as a means of ending world hunger and overpopulation. Today, I have a much yummier proposition for you:

If you could choose any one of the many Fudge Baby Flavors, which would you pick?

sb

Above, the Sex Bomb Babies.

Do you want a batch of fudge babies—in the flavor of your choice—delivered right to your doorstep?

My friend, Tina, of the famous Carrots ‘n’ Cake blog, is one incredible, selfless girl. She and her husband are raising money—through The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Team In Training—to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma in all individuals who are battling these blood cancers.

What Tina’s doing is big; she’s running a marathon to bring awareness, and she’s also set a goal of raising $12,000 for the worthy cause. I so admire her extraordinary efforts, and I want to help, even if it’s in a small way. Therefore, I’m donating a batch of my babies to be auctioned off for what Tina and I are calling the “Last Chance Bake Sale.”

To bid on the fudgies, donate, or simply see Tina’s fabulous blog!

All funds raised from the Last Chance Bake Sale will go directly to Team in Training to support the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. All bids must be emailed to christina.haupert@gmail.com. Go bid your heart wallet out! Remember: don’t think of it as paying an exorbitant amount of money for a batch of raw fudge treats; think of it as making a generous donation in support of a great cause… and you get a free batch of fudge babies as a bonus. I’ll throw in a cute Africard too! :)

My personal connection to the cause:

When I was in high school, I started a charity called “Project Pillows.” (I’ve mentioned it on the blog a few times before.) Through Project Pillows, I sewed hundreds of “comfort pillows” for kids going through Chemotherapy at a hospital in Dallas. Often called chemo, bar, or bone pillows, comfort pillows are used during the Chemo infusion process to make patients more comfortable. And the hospital I worked with was a lower-income hospital, so many of the kids kept the pillows afterwards—like their own stuffed animals. (I made sure to pick out cute fabrics—animals, Barbies, cars, etc.)

I’m not going to get into personal stories, out of respect for the kids’ privacy, but I was privileged to meet some incredible children. I was always amazed at how positive these kids were; how they were still able to get up and face each day, often with smiles on their faces. Which brings me to the question of the day: it isn’t a lighthearted, silly question today. But sadly, life is not always happy-go-lucky. Pretending the tough stuff doesn’t exist won’t make it go away.

1. Jessica says:

This post hit home for me, Katie. My mom has battled non-Hodgkins lymphoma twice. Thank you for helping this worthy cause! :)

2. I think the paper you’re talking about (which I just had to read for a class) isn’t an ACTUAL movement- it was meant to point out that you can justify just about anything. We had to write our own follow-up paper, and mine was about how we should send the elderly into war to drive tanks and fly planes instead of endangering younger people. Obviously I don’t actually think that 😉

1. I also meant to say that Fudge Babies are seriously delicious but I was caught up in my nerd-rant 😉

2. LOL that’s good to know! BUT THERE IS a facebook group, devoted to cannibalism, making the same claim 😕

1. Ilana says:

Did you ever read Jonathan Swift’s “A Modest Proposal”? Swift wrote fantastic satire responding to the political and social conditions in England in the late 1600’s and early 1700’s (Gulliver’s Travels!!), and in “A Modest Proposal,” he suggests that poor Irish families should turn to eating their children to stem the hunger crisis and to better society as a whole.

I read this when I was fourteen and it changed my life.

1. I haven’t… but I loved Gulliver’s Travels. Thanks for the link; I’ll definitely check it out. I’m always interested in new reading material, especially by authors I already trust.

3. this is a great idea! i’m a fan of the basic fudge baby (dusted in cocoa)

4. Marina says:

You are an angel Katie, seriously.
    My dad died from lung cancer. Actually, after the surgery that went well… It was always amazing to see how he stayed positive, for himself, and for his family.
    I can imagine how kids are, full of hope and happy thoughts.
    I hope Tina raises all the money!

5. abby says:

oh that is so sweet! yes i think everyone must know someone who’s had cancer. it really is oe of the scariest diseases out there.

6. Anonymous says:

I’m going to go check out Tina’s website and training cause now! Thanks for the link.

7. Not to be extremely depressing on the interwebz, but my dad passed away from lymphoma. So clearly, this particular team is meaningful to me. That is also why I want to go into researching antioxidants (and how we can prevent and/or treat cancer through our diets). :)

8. Jennifer - jcd says:

Wow, people who go out of their way to help others like this warm my heart. Way to go! You an an inspiration! (We partake in several projects of our own.)

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer earlier this year. At only 50, he is extremely young to get it. Thankfully, the doctors performed some robotics-assited sugery and he is 90% recovered and fully cancer-free now. It’s amazing what doctors can do!

I also had a cousin who had leukemia when she was younger. That was scary, but she made it through and is an active adult now. She has some lingering post-cancer health conditions (such as hemophelia), but we are all happy she can live a normal life now.

People with cancer, and their families, are forever grateful for the little things people do to help them out. My cousin still has her Care Pillow, it means a lot to her. Little things DO add up.

9. Lisa says:

Yes, I had a good friend who had cancer when we were in high school. Thankfully it went into remission, but you can’t ever be sure it won’t come back, and that’s the worst part of the disease. You could be fine one day and then it might come back the next even though the doctors said you were in the clear.

10. Caitlin says:

I read a book in elementary school (can’t remember the name now) about a girl who gets cancer. I remember I cried for days, and then I started a little collection and raised like $100 (which is a lot for a little kid). It really had an impact on me. Before that, I don’t think I knew what the disease was, or that young people could get it.
    Katie, you are truly inspiring. And Tina is inspiring as well. I’m going to check out hr blog for sure :).

1. Melissa says:

I think I read those same books! In the ones I read the girl went to a summer camp for kids with cancer and I always thought that was a great idea!

11. 40apples says:

What a wonderful thing to do – the pillows! And continuing to help such a great cause with the Babies is awesome.
    One of my best friends died from leukemia in 8th grade, and one of the most powerful ways I found to move through and past the immense grief was to feel like I could contribute to the efforts to research, prevent and treat cancer. It’s amazing what we can do for the cause in our own capacities.

12. My father had cancer when I was younger and my aunt has it now. I’ve also known quite a few people with skin cancer and one of my best friends has oral cancer. It seems like it hits everyone at some point whether we can help it or not..I mean my grandmother was 95 years old before she passed away and even she had cancer towards the end…it’s a horrible disease. Luckily more and more is being done every day to hopefully one day find a cure :)

13. Anonymous says:

Those sexy babies look so good! What’s the bidding at? I might have to nibble!

14. Valerie says:

Katie, what a sweet gesture to make those babies and offer them up for charity! I really hope you raise a ton of money. I’d bid my left arm for a batch of homemade fudge babies from you. If only I lived in the US!

15. Melissa says:

At the risk of sound like an ass, I can’t donate to L&LS due to their animal testing.
    It’s a horrible illness and I want to support people of all ages fighting it, of course.

For other vegans who feel this way (it’s lots of us, I imagine?) maybe we could do a fund drive for a different charity that also helps those with this disease and do it in the name of the original fund raiser?

Here is a cruelty free one, for example. :)

I’d love to donate to this charity in your honor, Tina.

Or I REALLY like the idea of donating pillows/stuffed animals that are homemade. I also crochet and hats for adults might be nice, too. I think kids get a lot more consideration in that regard: adults might want a warm cozy piece of homemade love, too. :)

1. VEGirl says:

Mellisa, I totally agree with you. It IS a horrible illness, and NO ONE, including children, adults, rats, mice, monkeys, or other animals should have to suffer through it. What is your email? You can send me one at contactvegirl @ yahoo dot com to talk something out.
      VEGirl

1. Melissa says:

Sent!
        It’ll be coming from a @wholefoods.com email addy

16. How sweet of you Katie, to take the time to do the pillow project.

My grandpa died when I was 5, from lung cancer, he smoked.

17. you’re a doll for doing this! i did a season with Team in Training, and it was the best experience of my life!

18. Sora says:

I was actually diagnosed with cancer this summer, so seeing something like this absolutely puts a smile on my face. Thank you so much for putting your time and heart into helping people. It makes such a difference every single day. :]

1. Wow, thank you, Sora, for being so open and sharing. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Just keep that smile on your face; I know that the kids I met who didn’t let Cancer get them down always seemed to heal the quickest and had the easiest time of it. Not that anyone’s time was/is easy with Cancer, but smiling seemed to make a world of a difference.

Love (and chocolate!!), Katie

1. What a lovely thing to write coming from where you are Sora. Lots of love and best wishes x
        Eleanor

19. spoonfulofsugarfree says:

I, fortunately, do not know anyone who has suffered cancer. Amazingly…But I feel terribly for those who do. What an amazing cause! I will definitely check out the cause and website!

I actually have a very good friend whose mother died of leukemia when my friend was five years old (before I knew her).

And Katie, I would love to know more about your Project Pillows! I feel like I need to do/give something more of myself somehow…

20. EmbraceYourSkin says:

Project Pillows sounds amazing, Katie.
    I wish I had money to give, but alas, I am poor :(