Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Pumpkin pie oatmeal is like eating pumpkin pie for breakfast…

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Who wouldn’t want to eat pumpkin pie for breakfast?

Pumpkin Creme Brulee Oatmeal

(Pumpkin oatmeal shown about, with a generous sprinkle of cinnamon fairy dust.)

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

(Serves 1)

• 1/2 c. milk of choice (such as almond milk)
  • 1/2 c. water or more milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 1/4 c. canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • sweetener as desired (For a true “creme brulee” feel, you can use the Melted Banana Trick… or, I have a friend who likes to put brown sugar on top and then bake the already-cooked oatmeal under the “broil” setting, so it gets all caramelized.)
  • raisins and walnuts as desired
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • cinnamon! Mix some in, and sprinkle more on top

Combine all ingredients on the stovetop and bring to a boil. Stir over medium heat until desired thickness is reached. Alternatively, you can make this in the microwave..

After breakfast, the celebration of the pumpkins continued. A few friends and I have a tradition of going down to a local farm once a year to act goofy pick out pumpkins. But sadly, all the friends with whom I have this tradition moved away. Grad school and jobs, ya know. Well, that wasn’t going to stop me; somehow I convinced my parents to stand in for the m.i.a. friends.

pumpkin picking

Of all the kids at the farm, my dad had the most fun. Seriously, he’s five inside.

I picked out a baby pumpkin… pumpkin-picking is fun and all, but let’s be honest: If you want a big kahuna, the pumpkins at the grocery store are much cheaper!

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I’ve been seeing pumpkin EVERYWHERE!! 🙂 And I’m not complaining! I’m just glad I’m able to find canned pumpkin in the grocery store again. That lack-of-pumpkin thing was terrible!

2. Beth says:

I loooove pumpkin! I just had pumpkin oats for breakfast today with granola and banana on top, and I love adding it to smoothies, and also recently I cut down pasta sauce with it for a veggie meatball sub and it was awesome!

3. I love pumpkin, but not in oats. It just tastes strange to me — it might be the texture though. I love pumpkin bread, muffins, PIE, cookies, pumpkin butter, smoothies, etc.

4. Tori says:

So much that I’ve been buying the expensive organic canned pumpkin, instead of waiting to find Libby’s. (Which I haven’t found yet)

5. abby says:

oh my gosh, katie, i want your legs!
    😕 😕

sorry sorry, i know that sounds weird! haha you already know i’m weird, though. and i have such short legs. but that can be a good thing, since i’m shorter than all the boys LOL.
    what else do i want? your breakfast, of course. you know how much i adore pumpkin, especially in your amazeeee brownie recipe. happy wednesday katie!

1. abby says:

oh, those were supposed to be smileys
      🙂 🙂
      not 😕 😕

2. Abby, you’re too cute, as usual :).

6. I love pumpkin so much! I made pumpkin hummus this weekend, and I think I’ll be making pumpkin brownies soon!

You’re right though–pumpkin is available year-round but everyone gets obsessed with it in the fall. I wonder why?

1. Caitlin says:

Pumpkin hummus?>~! Woah I never thought to do that. I’m on it!

2. Ooh I agree with Caitlin. Pumpkin hummus pretty much sounds amazing right now. Thanks for sharing the yummy idea, Steph!

7. Gloria says:

I love pumpkin so much I made cinnamon-raisin pumpkin french toast this morning! (The PPK recipe using GF cinnamon-raisin millet bread) Holy moly, it was good. I managed to time bread soaking times with my workout/showering AND made it to work on time 🙂

1. Um woah, off to google that recipe ASAP!

8. I just had pumpkin souffle for breakfast, but it’s not vegan: a combo of pumpkin, eggs, shredded coconut, and hemp milk.

1. Valerie says:

Oh that sounds delicious! I am a sucker for anything with “souffle” in the name.

9. Damjana says:

I’ve never tried pumpkin in oatmeal. In fact I only ate a pumpkin dish 2x in life – it was both times this year in a soup. I can say the soup was great. Here you can’t find canned pumkin for example, at least as far as I checked the stores.
    Cute pumpkins at the field!

1. Anna says:

They don’t sell canned pumpkin in Austria either … it’s tedious to peel and scrape the seeds and slice and steam and purée pumpkin before it can be used in anything, I wish it was more popular in continental Europe ):

1. Rachel says:

It’s super tasty if you scrape the seeds, leave the skin on and roast it in the oven (cut side down with a little water in the pan). The flesh just scrapes out of the skin, its a bit sweeter and soooo easy! Pop it in a blender or processor and then use as is, drain a bit for a thicker consistency or freeze for year round use 🙂

10. I’ve put a bit of pumpkin in all my oatmeal since I finally found a can earlier this month. By the way, unless you’re willing to buy a case of 24 or so non-Libbys cans, you can NOT buy canned pumpkin year-round.

1. Caitlin says:

You can actually find it year round at Whole Foods. It’s more expensive than Libby’s, but I guarantee it’s there. At least in my WF anyway ;).

1. Valerie says:

With the exception of last year, I have always been able to find Libby’s in my regular grocery store in the baking aisle, year round. I guess I’m just lucky! 🙂

11. How much do I love pumpkin…enough to be glowing orange right about now. 🙂
    P.S. I heart your breakfast from this morning as well. Have a wonderful day Katie!

1. Kelly Wang says:

I’ve actually been eating too much pumpkin/carrots/tomatoes/bell peppers that I’m turning yellowish and I had to see the doctor.
      But it didn’t work out really, I mean, I can’t live without veggies!!

12. I love pumpkin. In fact, I’m gonna finally try those pumpkin oats this week.

I just gotta get a can o’ pumpkin first!

13. Caitlin says:

Haha does anyone not like pumpkin? Yes! My sister and brother HATE it. That’s ok, more for me :).
    Your dad is too funny!

14. Lori says:

I LOVE pumpkin too, but for some reason don’t crave it in until fall either. Good thing, it just hit the store shelves about 2 weeks ago here. And I love adding pumpkin to my oatmeal – had it today in fact, and yesterday and the day before… 🙂

15. Inspired says:

Woah, raw doughnut holes AND they’re pumpkin? LOL Katie, for once YOU aren’t the one with the best idea… a reader took that award from you this time! 😉
    (You do know I’m joking, right? 😉 Well, 1/2 joking. I DO think her idea is pretty awesome!)

16. Leslie says:

I’ve never gotten into the pumpkin thing. It just tastes strange to me. I do like sweet potatoes, though. Go figure!

17. I love, love, love pumpkin. But I try to only eat it in the fall and winter, even though its available year-round. Eating certain foods seasonally makes me appreciate them so much more — like tomatoes, summer squash, fresh berries, and fresh cucumbers in the summer and spring and pumpkins, apples, and winter squash in the fall and winter. Your oats look fantastical!

18. Marina says:

I adore pumpkin. I can never get enough of it!
    I wish it was more abundant this year 🙁

19. Nichole says:

I love love love pumpkin. And Creme Brulee oats? OMG!

20. Albizia says:

I love the picture with all the pumpkins. It looks like a picture from a magazine! This place is beautiful! And so are you but you already know this 🙂 .

I haven’t eaten pumpkin for years. Really, years. I don’t know why because I crave something every now and then. I crave this:
    Very thin pastry sheets that get crunchy after baking, pumpkin, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon… Pumpkin heaven! I think I know what I want for Christmas this year 🙂 .

1. Holy goodness, it looks like pumpkin baklava! I want some too!
      And you are so so sweet. Thank you for such a kind comment, girl!