Like me on Facebook for updates on delicious recipes!

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Pumpkin pie oatmeal is like eating pumpkin pie for breakfast…

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

Who wouldn’t want to eat pumpkin pie for breakfast?

Pumpkin Creme Brulee Oatmeal

(Pumpkin oatmeal shown about, with a generous sprinkle of cinnamon fairy dust.)

Pumpkin Pie Oatmeal

(Serves 1)

• 1/2 c. milk of choice (such as almond milk)
  • 1/2 c. water or more milk of choice
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. rolled oats
  • 1/4 c. canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
  • sweetener as desired (For a true “creme brulee” feel, you can use the Melted Banana Trick… or, I have a friend who likes to put brown sugar on top and then bake the already-cooked oatmeal under the “broil” setting, so it gets all caramelized.)
  • raisins and walnuts as desired
  • 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • cinnamon! Mix some in, and sprinkle more on top

Combine all ingredients on the stovetop and bring to a boil. Stir over medium heat until desired thickness is reached. Alternatively, you can make this in the microwave..

After breakfast, the celebration of the pumpkins continued. A few friends and I have a tradition of going down to a local farm once a year to act goofy pick out pumpkins. But sadly, all the friends with whom I have this tradition moved away. Grad school and jobs, ya know. Well, that wasn’t going to stop me; somehow I convinced my parents to stand in for the m.i.a. friends.

pumpkin picking

Of all the kids at the farm, my dad had the most fun. Seriously, he’s five inside.

I picked out a baby pumpkin… pumpkin-picking is fun and all, but let’s be honest: If you want a big kahuna, the pumpkins at the grocery store are much cheaper!

[adthrive_ad id='ChocolateCoveredKatie_Below_Post_600x250_300x250' center='1']
Tags: , , , , , ,

1. I’ve been seeing pumpkin EVERYWHERE!! :) And I’m not complaining! I’m just glad I’m able to find canned pumpkin in the grocery store again. That lack-of-pumpkin thing was terrible!

2. Beth says:

I loooove pumpkin! I just had pumpkin oats for breakfast today with granola and banana on top, and I love adding it to smoothies, and also recently I cut down pasta sauce with it for a veggie meatball sub and it was awesome!

3. I love pumpkin, but not in oats. It just tastes strange to me — it might be the texture though. I love pumpkin bread, muffins, PIE, cookies, pumpkin butter, smoothies, etc.

4. Tori says:

So much that I’ve been buying the expensive organic canned pumpkin, instead of waiting to find Libby’s. (Which I haven’t found yet)

5. I don’t think I’ve ever had pumpkin. Your porridge looks great though!

6. omg i love pumpkin…i’ve been eating a ton of it for the last month. they do sell it year round but not libby’s! i can get a 290z can of libs for the same price as a tiny can of the organic farmer’s brand.

1. Yeah, three cheers for Libby’s being back, right? 😉

7. abby says:

oh my gosh, katie, i want your legs!
    😕 😕

sorry sorry, i know that sounds weird! haha you already know i’m weird, though. and i have such short legs. but that can be a good thing, since i’m shorter than all the boys LOL.
    what else do i want? your breakfast, of course. you know how much i adore pumpkin, especially in your amazeeee brownie recipe. happy wednesday katie!

1. abby says:

oh, those were supposed to be smileys
      :) :)
      not 😕 😕

2. Abby, you’re too cute, as usual :).

8. I love pumpkin so much! I made pumpkin hummus this weekend, and I think I’ll be making pumpkin brownies soon!

You’re right though–pumpkin is available year-round but everyone gets obsessed with it in the fall. I wonder why?

1. Caitlin says:

Pumpkin hummus?>~! Woah I never thought to do that. I’m on it!

2. Ooh I agree with Caitlin. Pumpkin hummus pretty much sounds amazing right now. Thanks for sharing the yummy idea, Steph!

9. Gloria says:

I love pumpkin so much I made cinnamon-raisin pumpkin french toast this morning! (The PPK recipe using GF cinnamon-raisin millet bread) Holy moly, it was good. I managed to time bread soaking times with my workout/showering AND made it to work on time :)

1. Um woah, off to google that recipe ASAP!

10. I just had pumpkin souffle for breakfast, but it’s not vegan: a combo of pumpkin, eggs, shredded coconut, and hemp milk.

1. Valerie says:

Oh that sounds delicious! I am a sucker for anything with “souffle” in the name.

11. Damjana says:

I’ve never tried pumpkin in oatmeal. In fact I only ate a pumpkin dish 2x in life – it was both times this year in a soup. I can say the soup was great. Here you can’t find canned pumkin for example, at least as far as I checked the stores.
    Cute pumpkins at the field!

1. Anna says:

They don’t sell canned pumpkin in Austria either … it’s tedious to peel and scrape the seeds and slice and steam and purée pumpkin before it can be used in anything, I wish it was more popular in continental Europe ):

1. Rachel says:

It’s super tasty if you scrape the seeds, leave the skin on and roast it in the oven (cut side down with a little water in the pan). The flesh just scrapes out of the skin, its a bit sweeter and soooo easy! Pop it in a blender or processor and then use as is, drain a bit for a thicker consistency or freeze for year round use :)

12. I had pumpkin in my oats this morning! It was pretty good, but your creme brulee oats looks way better! Also, I am going to HAVE to make those pumpkin doughnut holes when I get home from class today… yum yum! :)

13. I’ve put a bit of pumpkin in all my oatmeal since I finally found a can earlier this month. By the way, unless you’re willing to buy a case of 24 or so non-Libbys cans, you can NOT buy canned pumpkin year-round.

1. Caitlin says:

You can actually find it year round at Whole Foods. It’s more expensive than Libby’s, but I guarantee it’s there. At least in my WF anyway ;).

1. Valerie says:

With the exception of last year, I have always been able to find Libby’s in my regular grocery store in the baking aisle, year round. I guess I’m just lucky! :)

14. How much do I love pumpkin…enough to be glowing orange right about now. :)
    P.S. I heart your breakfast from this morning as well. Have a wonderful day Katie!

1. Kelly Wang says:

I’ve actually been eating too much pumpkin/carrots/tomatoes/bell peppers that I’m turning yellowish and I had to see the doctor.
      But it didn’t work out really, I mean, I can’t live without veggies!!

15. I love pumpkin. In fact, I’m gonna finally try those pumpkin oats this week.

I just gotta get a can o’ pumpkin first!

16. Caitlin says:

Haha does anyone not like pumpkin? Yes! My sister and brother HATE it. That’s ok, more for me :).
    Your dad is too funny!

17. Lori says:

I LOVE pumpkin too, but for some reason don’t crave it in until fall either. Good thing, it just hit the store shelves about 2 weeks ago here. And I love adding pumpkin to my oatmeal – had it today in fact, and yesterday and the day before… :)

18. Inspired says:

Woah, raw doughnut holes AND they’re pumpkin? LOL Katie, for once YOU aren’t the one with the best idea… a reader took that award from you this time! 😉
    (You do know I’m joking, right? 😉 Well, 1/2 joking. I DO think her idea is pretty awesome!)

19. Leslie says:

I’ve never gotten into the pumpkin thing. It just tastes strange to me. I do like sweet potatoes, though. Go figure!

20. Because of blogger-ville I finally broke down and added pumpkin puree to my oats. Just last week.

It sometimes takes me a while to try things outside of my comfort zone but it’s been rare that the blogging community has let me down.

I have almost finished that huge can of Libbys (and I do buy it year round for muffins) I’ve added it to my eggs, to my oats, to my squash. I’ve been trying to cut out sugars (with squash, I know the irony) and that bit o pumpkin makes me feel like I am getting a lot of bang for my buck.

your dad looks like a lot of fun!
    and your 3 ingredient peanut butter balls were so easy and delish (even if I added different and other ing)
    Happy Wednesday

1. Hehe I didn’t know about his strange poses until I was looking back at the photos. There’s another one where he’s trying to strangle a scarecrow!

21. I love, love, love pumpkin. But I try to only eat it in the fall and winter, even though its available year-round. Eating certain foods seasonally makes me appreciate them so much more — like tomatoes, summer squash, fresh berries, and fresh cucumbers in the summer and spring and pumpkins, apples, and winter squash in the fall and winter. Your oats look fantastical!

22. Marina says:

I adore pumpkin. I can never get enough of it!
    I wish it was more abundant this year :(

23. Nichole says:

I love love love pumpkin. And Creme Brulee oats? OMG!

24. Albizia says:

I love the picture with all the pumpkins. It looks like a picture from a magazine! This place is beautiful! And so are you but you already know this :) .

I haven’t eaten pumpkin for years. Really, years. I don’t know why because I crave something every now and then. I crave this:
    Very thin pastry sheets that get crunchy after baking, pumpkin, walnuts, raisins, cinnamon… Pumpkin heaven! I think I know what I want for Christmas this year :) .

1. Holy goodness, it looks like pumpkin baklava! I want some too!
      And you are so so sweet. Thank you for such a kind comment, girl!

25. Anna says:

I’ve had kabocha purée yesterday and right now there’s a spaghetti squash bakin’ in the oven – I’m not sure if that’s considered as pumpkin, but in German the word “Kürbis” encompasses all kinds of pumpkins and squash, so when it says that at the grocery store it’s pumpkin for me (;

and lol, you are wearing SHORTS and a short-sleeved shirt, that’s too funny, people here are already sporting their winter gear …

1. I think it’s considered a pumpkin here too! :)

LOL yes, it’s so weird. Last year I went to the pumpkin farm in a sweater and scarf! Texas weather is so indecisive!

26. I love pumpkin about as much as I love chocolate. Aka, A LOT!
    I eat it in my oats every morning!

27. I’m in love with pumpkin, seriously. Pumpkin protein shakes are probably my most favorite things everrrr. Pumpkin oats too, and pumpkin bread, and anything else with pumpkin. You know what else is REALLY good with pumpkin?

Chocolate. :)

28. I’m loving pumpkin. It’s only past lunch and I’ve already had it twice 😛

29. Jen says:

I definitely had heated canned pumpkin for breakfast. Sprinkled with cinnamon and a tsp. of coconut butter, it is absolute deliciousness.

30. Alexandra says:

Katieeeee! Thank you so much for the shout out! It made my day. I hope you do try them. I can’t stop eating them. :)

31. I came up with a vegan pumpkin donut hole recipe last year about this time when I kept seeing pumpkin everything, everywhere, in bloggieland :) But honestly, I dont love pumpkin that much. I mean it’s not like I dislike it, but it’s just a whatever flavor for me. Some people make pumpkin everythng from lattes to oats, that’s not me. But the donut holes are good :)

Glad you got your daddy to go with you…so fun and sweet!

32. Jennifer - jcd says:

Wait a minute; shorts, sandals, and a tank top whilst picking pumpkins? Nice!

Mmmm…. pumpkin!! We certainly love them. Pumpkin pasta, pumpkin oatmeal (thanks for the idea last year!), pumpkin ice cream (vegan, of course), roasted pumpkin, pumpkin pie, even roasted pumpkin seeds, it’s all sooo yummy! But, what to do with the pumpkin sitting on my counter at home… eat it of course. And the two in the garage shall become Mickey and Minnie Mouse this weekend.

I think all dads are five year olds inside; mine is too. Always fun. I’m a daddy’s girl, and I’m probably seven or eight years old at heart…

Off to research those doughnut holes… and make something pumpkin for supper tonight.

1. Valerie says:

Aww Mickey and Minnie Pumpkins? So cute! My kids would go crazy for that!

2. LOL last year I was wearing a scarf and coat!

Any time you want to make pumpkin pasta, let me know. And then ship some to Texas :).

1. Frances says:

i WISH i could wear a tshirt and shorts right now! even my bedroom is freezing. i’m wearing a wool sweater over a thick baselayer, and i’m bundled in flannel sheets :(

33. I love that spoon – it’s gorgeous!

34. Gosh-love pumpkin! Just made another grain-free pumpkin spice bread loaf! (recipe on my blog) And I love making pancakes and puddings with it!

By the way, you look super cute at the pumpkin patch 😉

35. Amy says:

I love pumpkin and I must have more because I have really not had any yet this fall.

Sadly, I will have to wait until I go home for Thanksgiving break.

Now I am even more anxious to go home so I can try your Pumpkin Creme Brulee Oats! Yum!

36. Kelly says:

I’ve been LOVING my pumpkin oatmeal lately! I usually make it with hemp milk, cinnamon and nutmeg, then put a few circles of unsweetened baker’s chocolate in the bowl, and drizzle on some macadamia nut butter or peanut butter. So much belly happiness!

I’ve also been doing pumpkin pie avocado puddings, and I think tonight might be a pumpkin and apple pie green smoothie night.

If it’s wrong to OD on pumpkin, then I don’t want to be right! lol

1. Hahaha that reminds me of a quote from a movie, “Coming to America.”

37. Sarah G. says:

You are soooo sooo gorgeous!
    Who am I talking to? Why, both Katie AND her breakfast ;).

38. Laura says:

Roasted pumpkin was always one of my favourite vegetables, but in recent years I’ve become really allergic to it. If I even handle it, my hands swell up and my skin turns orange and starts peeling off. Needless to say, I won’t be eating it any time soon! (Sad.)

I hope you don’t mind my asking, because I know it’s always uncomfortable getting questions about your appearance, but do people often think that you’re much younger than you are? I know that when I was very thin between age 21 and 23, people would assume that I was at high school, and our new neighbour thought I was about 14! (I’m sure when I’m 35 or so, I’d be happy to be mistaken for a teenager, but not so much at 25! I’m quite relieved that people guess correctly these days.)

1. Hey Laura!
      I do not mind AT ALL answering personal questions if they’re asked in a kind way, like yours was! :)
      Yeah, people often think I’m younger than I am. Often? Ok, almost always. Except one time when I was out with my dad and a guy asked if I was his wife… that was weird lol. But I’ve been mistaken for as young as 11 :-?. Haha my mom says the same thing as you: at 35, I’ll probably look back and WISH people thought I looked younger!

1. Hanne says:

I’m 25, and almost everyone thinks I’m five or so years older than I actually am! I certinly wouldn’t mind if it was the other way around 😉 I keep telling myself it’s only because I’m tall. Yep. Definitely because I’m tall.

39. emma says:

Hey Katie! Just wanted to say that I recently landed upon your blog and think it’s great! I’m loving your style girl! x x

1. Awwwwww Emma, thank you so so much!! :) :)

40. Valerie says:

Almost as much as I love you! 😉

41. Amanda says:

I fucking love your spoon.

42. Yum I eat pumpkin pie oats all the time! LOVE fall more than any other season and miss it even though summer is fast approaching here in Australia.

43. Caitlin says:

Your family is so cool! I love how close you all are and how much fun you have together! Your farm outing looks delightful!

I like pumpkin in pies, curries, and sushi rolls! So darn delicious! I’ve never tried a pumpkin smoothie/milkshake, but I think that would be interesting as well.

1. I think I need to try a pumpkin milkshake too… or even pumpkin ice cream. I keep saying I need to break out the ice cream maker!!

44. Melissa says:

I’ve been making these Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats lately for every breakfast.

Also big into making pumpkin pie smoothies, pumpkin baked oats, using pumpkin as the fat replacer in my baked goods, tossing pumpkin in my banana ice cream, etc. And all this with the $2.99 a can organic stuff from WFM. We don’t have our cheap 365 conventional canned pumpkin in yet. I swear, I am buying a case (or two!) when we do. Love pumpkin!

45. BroccoliHut says:

I’m a major pumpkin enthusiast…perhaps that’s why I am turning even more orange than usual these days!

46. Frances says:

i love pumpkin. it’s awesome in oatmeal, and i’ve been putting it on toast with almond butter instead of PB&J….also, I work as a pastry cook at a restaurant, and we just developed a new dessert that uses my own recipe for pumpkin-hazelnut spice bread!

1. Pumpkin pbj? That sounds so fun (as does your bread)!

47. I love pumpkin, though probably not quite as much as other people do. I’m not so hot on pumpkin pie, but one of my favorite things to make in fall is pumpkin dip: equal parts canned pumpkin and cream cheeze, plus sweetener of choice and a spoonful of pumpkin pie spice. It’s the best thing ever to dip apples in!

1. Oh wow, that sounds like pumpkin cheesecake in a bowl! Thanks for the idea, Amber. It sounds delicious!

48. Moni'sMeals says:

I heart pumpkin. Just this week I have made Pumpkin Bars, Pumpkin smoothies, Pumpkin Brownies, and yes I put a nice scoop in my oatmeal most mornings.

I would eat all year round easy. But maybe why we all love it so much is we have to wait so long. Imagine if it was at the store always, would we be burnt out?

All I know is I stock up and the clerk at the stores always say the same thing…”What do you make with Pumpkin besides pie?” If they only knew the possibilities!

1. I have a pumpkin brownie recipe I’ve been meaning to try forever. I might just have to join you in brownieland soon :).

49. Cynthia K says:

I *LOVE* pumpkin oatmeal! Libby’s just finally showed back up in my local store about 2 weeks ago and I exclaimed “YES!!!” in the middle of the aisle; people looked at me like I was nuts and I did not care! Immediately came home and baked a pumpkin pie with my 2-year old and I have one can left that I was actually planning to open this morning just for oatmeal. Great minds, and all that :)

1. Hahahaha I can just imagine how oddly they looked at you. If only they knew… 😉

50. Love the cinnamon fairy dust-adorable! You should change the name of this blog to “Chocolate-Covered Cutie.”

51. I love love pumpkin! I’ll have it in oatmeal, breads, with curry on veggies, in ravioli and in smoothies. You just can’t go wrong with pumpkin.

52. Ashlei says:

I love pumpkin and pumpkin oats. That crookneck squash is seriously cool looking :)

53. annie says:

you are so freaking gorgeous!

54. I love pumpkin! And I love winter squash like kabocha, red kuri, acorn, butternut…. I love Fall in general, it makes me feel good.

55. NessyS says:

I am so glad you/me/we tracked down this recipe – LOOKS FANSTASIC! Thank you so much for all your fab work Darl! x

56. NessyS says:

PS – how cute do you and your folks look with those pumpkins!

57. Oooooh another must-try! You’re so creative Katie! :)

58. Nicole says:

just made this as a “treat” for myself…. it’s my birthday and I wanted something different for breakfast!! so delicious :) thanks for the blog katie, I’ve liked everything so far!!

59. Shannon says:

I get up awfully early. I’m not always hungry and sometimes I don’t leave enough time to make something. I’m a grab-n-go kinda girl. I was wondering if something like this could be made the night before and then reheated at work.

60. Sarah says:

I am addicted to this oatmeal, I’ve lost track h

61. Sarah says:

I am addicted to this oatmeal, I’ve lost track how many times I’ve had it this week, I’ve even had it for dinner :)

62. Allie says:

oh I’m having it this morning! Makes it smell like fall in my little nook of Phoenix!

63. Anonymous says:

Could you make this with the voluminous oatmeal trick? Thanks! Looks AMAZING!!! :)

64. Kristen says:

I followed the recipe exactly and used all skim milk and i found it to be very salty :(

65. Carmon says:

So I made this today because it is raining and I am in a fall mood. Wow, I am in love! I added 1 TBS of peanut butter, extra cinnamon, and some raisins. It is amazing! Thanks for such an awesome recipe! Both of my kids loved it as well

66. Bea-McCall says:

Ohmygoodnessme. Can I get as thin as you if I start my day with pumpkin oatmeal, you’re so tiny!
    And that oatmeal looks delicious, I love oats. My family is Irish and Scottish so they are big porridge (as they call it) advocates. The traditional way my grandad makes it is so simple and plain- just 1/2 a cup of oats, 1 cup of water and a tiny pinch of salt cooked overnight. Then they serve it plain or with brown sugar but this looks much more exciting and healthier than my other granddad’s version. He used to have it made up with full fat milk, heavy cream, brown sugar and baileys Irish cream liqueur! Quite a way to start the day…
    I love your blog!

67. Stephanie says:

I found your site a few days ago. already tried at least 4 things. I was a little skeptic on pumpkin oatmeal but it intrigued me. I chickened out last minute thinking it may be too much pumpkin flavor so I added a little coconut and chocolate chips to the top (also put bran in while cooking as I love bran in my oatmeal). I loved it!!! I am so going to have this for breakfast again tomorrow and maybe the next day …

68. Margaret Fischer says:

Where do you live that you can pick pumpkins in shorts and sandals? It is too cooooooold here in Wisconsin to do that!!!!

69. James says:

Your recipes all look great, awesome that they are low cal. I have type 2 diabetes and control in by eating low carb diet. Being an old guy and new to this type of diet any chance you could post the carbs in your nutritional section? Thanks

1. Lana says:

All her newer recipes have nutrition facts now.

70. Melissa says:

Made this today and it was soooooo yummy! Big hit with the kiddos too! My youngest asked for it again at lunchtime and was disappointed that it was all gone. Will definitely make this again – I made it with vanilla almond milk, added raisins and a bit of brown sugar while heating it up and then put a bit of sugar on top and put it under the broiler at the end. I realized I didn’t have any pumpkin pie spice left so I just threw in nutmeg and cinnamon…super tasty!

71. Trish says:

Love, love, love your recipes but notice you don’t use honey. Any reason why not?
    Also, is there a cook book I can purchase?

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Some of Katie’s recipes do call for honey. And she says there will be a cookbook out at the end of this year! :-)

72. Amber says:

What is the nutritional information on this recipe?
    PS I have enjoyed a few of your items and have been in love with all of them so far, can’t wait to try more (especially the pumpkin ones, I love it)!
    Amber : )

1. Unofficial CCK Helper says:

Katie hadn’t started calculating nutrition back when this was posted, but all of her recipes as of a year ago will have nutrition info included.

73. Just made a batch this morning. Love it and fits in perfectly with my New Years healthy eating plan. Thanks for sharing!

74. xyloxin says:

I have just adapted your recipe and made this for breakfast this morning!! It tasted really good, though I changed some of the measurements and eliminated some of the ingredients. I even named it “Healthy Cinderalla Cookie Dough Pie Oats”!

You can check it out over here:

Thankyouuuu again, it’s my new fav!

75. Heidi-K says:

this was fantastic! I mixed 1/2TBsp of Truvia brown sugar and 1/2 TBsp chopped pecans, put on top baked oatmeal and broiled in the oven as suggested- delicious!!

76. Amanda says:

Does anyone know the nutrition information for this recipe?

77. Kathryn says:

This is so good! I made it for breakfast. I’ve been reading your blog for two years, why did I just now decide to try this?? I used maple syrup as sweetener, as I was out of bananas. Will definitely be making this again!